AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 2301 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm working on getting this set up, and using the Stream+ as the storage for HDHomerun as you mention in your post.

I'd love to stream the recordings and live TV to our other TV as well, the one that has the DVR+ on HDMI1 and a Roku on HDMI2. Putting a $40 Fire TV stick in HDMI3 is certainly an option if the PQ isn't too bad.

I won't be able to control the Fire stick with my Harmony 650 remote, though, and the only other option I see is a much more expensive Nvidia Shield. No HDHomerun app for the Roku that I can see. Still, having a third option to watch when both tuners of the DVR+ are occupied may make using the Fire TV remote OK.
Roku doesn't support Mpeg2, so to use on those you must go through Plex or other transcodes.
Fire TV does have an HDHomerun app, but de-interlacing may be an issue, but I haven't personally had that issue.
Some Fire TV users prefer to turn off "Use AC3 pass through when possible" .

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Yup, I've been using my Stream+ as my HDHomerun DVR recording engine/server for about 6 weeks now.
I just got a Homerun dual and hooked it up. Works great in the Windows app. But can't tune any channels at all in the HDHomerun app or Live Channels on the Stream+. All channels give me "unable to play channel, timeout, unknown channel" error. Did you have to do anything special to set yours up? I also went to advanced (Play x 13) to use local storage, and that seems fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just got a Homerun dual and hooked it up. Works great in the Windows app. But can't tune any channels at all in the HDHomerun app or Live Channels on the Stream+. All channels give me "unable to play channel, timeout, unknown channel" error. Did you have to do anything special to set yours up? I also went to advanced (Play x 13) to use local storage, and that seems fine.

Any ideas?
Check to see if firmware updated, using the https://my.hdhomerun.com in a browser, chrome is best. Check that it isn't on a different subnet?

·
Registered
217 Posts

Any ideas?
Also, couldn't hurt to restart Stream+. If still an issue, their support is awesome, https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=119

·
Registered
217 Posts
i fix my trouble with live channel doing a factory reset.

there its a tv with live channels installed , leEco tvs.
Glad you got that sorted. I find that Factory Reset has fixed a lot of issues I had previously with Stream+. I'm not sure what that indicates. Maybe not enough memory, or a particular app installed is corrupted and running computations over and over?

When I first got mine, I installed lots and lots of apps, as I had never owned an Android device, and was interested in so many of them. Some of the apps must have included "Bloatware", and caused problems. I've since limited only the apps that I have determined work well, and, that I actually use.

I haven't needed to do a Factory Reset in months, although I have used "Restart" once.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts

Any ideas?
Check to see if firmware updated, using the https://my.hdhomerun.com in a browser, chrome is best. Check that it isn't on a different subnet?
Also, couldn't hurt to restart Stream+. If still an issue, their support is awesome, https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=119
One more thing: I believe only newer HDHR models are supported by the HDHR app. I think you need to use that app to record.

That wouldn't explain problems with Live Channels though. I think Live Channels can stream from older HDHRs, although it doesn't record from any HDHR.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone know if the micro freezing on live channels can be remedied? At times it's unwatchable. Any ideas? Thank you guys!!
I'd try a restart from settings/about menu before a factory reset.

Also, if you hold down the home button on the main screen, it will bring up all the recent apps in memory. Highlight the app to dismiss, press the down button, then ok.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
@JHBrandt,
merman found some posts about VPN possibly being the culprit, and turns out that was it. Even though mine wasn't running, just having it installed was enough to break the homerun. Uninstalled, and homerun started working. It also worked fine on a Fire TV when I was having Stream+ trouble. That's the good news.

The bad news is the HDHomeRun DVR software sucks beyond words. It's far worse than Live Channels in every respect - terrible guide, terrible recording options, no last channel, no additional sources besides TV. I've heard Channels is better, but there's no way I'm paying $8/month when Live Channels and Tivo is free.

So, I've disconnected the homerun and will make do with Live Channels and the built in tuners for now.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Glad you got it working, even though you wound up deciding against it. Can't understand why merely having a VPN installed would break anything on the local network, but it's good to know it does. SD needs to fix that. Folks aren't going to abandon VPNs just because SD's software doesn't like them.

Even with Live Channels, I could sort of see having one HDHR attached, if only to let you watch/surf while making two recordings.

The web site given above, https://my.hdhomerun.com/ claims it can't find any HDHRs on my local network, even though I have two and both are working fine. I don't have a VPN. Tried both IE 11 and Firefox 52.9. If it only works with Chrome it's not worth using.

Anyway, thanks for the report. Sounds like we have yet to find DVR nirvana for the Stream+. Can't anyone get this right? Or are they all trying to program around TiVo's ridiculous patents? (I've read that TiVo even has a patent you have to license just to display a grid-style guide on a TV! If that's true, the patent examiner who approved that one should be fired.)

·
Registered
838 Posts
The bad news is the HDHomeRun DVR software sucks beyond words. It's far worse than Live Channels in every respect - terrible guide, terrible recording options, no last channel, no additional sources besides TV. I've heard Channels is better, but there's no way I'm paying $8/month when Live Channels and Tivo is free.

So, I've disconnected the homerun and will make do with Live Channels and the built in tuners for now.
I'm testing the HDHR DVR software now. There are some parts I definitely like. You can select to record "all" of a season and it doesn't duplicate season/episodes across different channels. The "slice guide" takes some getting used to, but it is nice to see all programs out 14 days, even if you are only seeing one channel's programs. Often I'm looking for a show on NBC or Fox, so that works OK for me. The "Discover" feature is really very good; a blank search shows everything on now, and you can narrow that by selecting shows, movies, or sports.

But I miss a grid to page through. Maybe I'll get used to it. So far, it has worked very well for the shows I've recorded. When my Fire TV gets here today I'll install it on our main TV and we'll have two sources for antenna shows, and two DVRs, although I suspect the WAF will be low on the Fire TV version (the DVR+ is definitely the winner in terms of guide usability).

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
@fshagan, Maybe I just don't know how to use it correctly. When I hit record, I only get one option - Series, and no way to select anything different, making it impossible to record just one thing. Doesn't seem to want to record anything already in progress either.

I don't think I could ever get used to the guide. Only seeing one channel at a time makes it really difficult to browse every channel at a given time. I realize they only did it that way to get around Tivo patents, but it just doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm testing the HDHR DVR software now. There are some parts I definitely like. You can select to record "all" of a season and it doesn't duplicate season/episodes across different channels. The "slice guide" takes some getting used to, but it is nice to see all programs out 14 days, even if you are only seeing one channel's programs. Often I'm looking for a show on NBC or Fox, so that works OK for me. The "Discover" feature is really very good; a blank search shows everything on now, and you can narrow that by selecting shows, movies, or sports.

But I miss a grid to page through. Maybe I'll get used to it. So far, it has worked very well for the shows I've recorded. When my Fire TV gets here today I'll install it on our main TV and we'll have two sources for antenna shows, and two DVRs, although I suspect the WAF will be low on the Fire TV version (the DVR+ is definitely the winner in terms of guide usability).
I actually like Slice View. :) As we rarely need the guide except for perhaps what's on now (or, as you, for what is coming up on a particular channel), it works pretty well for us.

I'm probably the only one at my house who uses the guide anyway - and that is only occasionally. Long ago we had transitioned to phone/tablet/computer when we needed a more detailed guide. The devices were always right next to us - and the capabilities available when using them had long ago surpassed in features and speed the on-screen guide from the TiVo anyway. Plus - I didn't have the love affair with Live Guide that some do. Once we realized that on-screen guide was usually slower and less efficient than guides on our devices - we rarely used it anyway. Moving away from TiVo because of other dissatisfactions - the slice view was the most popular in our house of the possible offerings due to the lower level of intrusion on the main picture.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The "slice guide" takes some getting used to, but it is nice to see all programs out 14 days, even if you are only seeing one channel's programs.

But I miss a grid to page through. When my Fire TV gets here today I'll install it on our main TV and we'll have two sources for antenna shows, and two DVRs, although I suspect the WAF will be low on the Fire TV version (the DVR+ is definitely the winner in terms of guide usability).
I don't think I could ever get used to the guide. Only seeing one channel at a time makes it really difficult to browse every channel at a given time.
I actually like Slice View.

Moving away from TiVo because of other dissatisfactions - the slice view was the most popular in our house of the possible offerings due to the lower level of intrusion on the main picture.
Would someone post a pic please? Some of us don't have this installed, but we'd still like to know what to expect if/when we do ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got a new S+ today and installed the latest DirecTV Now app. I'm getting an error stating, "We couldn't figure out your location, which is required for streaming this program. Please try again." I click retry, but I get the same error. When I try an older DTVN app., it tells me to update to the latest version and won't start. I've checked my settings and my location is enabled via wifi. Is DirecTV Now working for anyone else? Am I missing something in getting it working? I've tried both the modified DTVN app and the one that requires the amazon app store.

1421 - 1440 of 2301 Posts