AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi,

Thought I would start a Chase Home Theater Owners Thread since it was pointed out that there was none currently on AVS. I am still a relative beginner so all I can promise is to be more of a burden than a guide...
. So all you more experienced owners, feel free to post impressions, tips, graphs etc..etc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cool deal Matman1970. Have been a very happy owner of a single 18.2 for some time now, was one of the first ones to get one. All I can say is it still has that same wow and enjoyment factor for me as when I first got it. The one thing that has happened is I find myself listening to more music CD's and DVD's than before. Working on getting a second one with the wife...yeah good luck with that!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still in the formative stages of setting up 5 SHO-10's and a 18.T. But I won't let that stop me from posting some strictly subjective thoughts:

Well the other day I wired up the front stage (3 SHO's) and the 18.T and level matched them with the Rat Shack. No EQ yet. Naturally, I had to listen to them even in this preliminary stage. I used Fantasia 2000 on BD. The sound was HUGE and clean at VERY HIGH levels(I'll get more on this later) I used the tin soldier part with the Shostakovich 2nd piano concerto which is very dynamic. I figured this would be even more demanding for actual SQ than the usual exploding stuff movie scene. It was fantastic, it was a very in your face feeling, not in a bad way, more like you are sitting in the middle of a symphony orchestra while they are playing their ass off.

I know the subs are not EQ'd yet and it is possible I could be near a null based on room dimensions but I do want to get a quick impression out there. My Dad formerly had a Infinity BU-2 ported sub. Now going from this to dual 18"s is no comparison, but like many have said it was not the same difference as I expected in my head. His old sub was "boomy" and "rumbly" with any high volume material, whether music or movies. The 18.T does not call attention to itself unless needed and when needed it sends a wave of clean bass over you.

Well after listening to this for like seven minutes my ears were starting to hurt a little. "My God!!" I was thinking "how can people listen at this level for two hours!!!" It turned out that when I was using the Denon pink noise I adjusted the master volume to read -10db to get to reference level, but when I listened to the movie I forgot and put the volume on 0db so I was actually listening at +10db above reference. No wonder the Rat Shack was measuring over 115db peaks.

I did warn you I am still a resident of noobieville.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
I will post some graphs here just for kicks and get this thread going. I know many here think the CS 18.2 or 18.1 are bad designs but they are not and works very well in sealed rooms, whether big or small. The driver has 19mm of X-max and an FS of 22 hz according to Eminence. They are also sensitive meaning they do not need lots of power. I use 8 of the drivers to ensure I have enough X-max to EQ for ULF(ultra low frequencies).

Close mic graph

In room response

I have 4 of them now and they are up front but here are 2 of them when they were in the back.

I will have new pics of the 4 up front and my new room treatments.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I was one of the first to get the CS18.2's and I still love them. People who complain about the design must not like having subs that are flat to below 10hz (in-room), with high output.

Jim

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
CraigSUBS work great for 2 channel, too! Concert videos have never been this much fun.

Attachment 205037

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktheater /forum/post/20135652

i will post some graphs here just for kicks and get this thread going. I know many here think the cs 18.2 or 18.1 are bad designs but they are not and works very well in sealed rooms, whether big or small. The driver has 19mm of x-max and an fs of 22 hz according to eminence. They are also sensitive meaning they do not need lots of power. I use 8 of the drivers to ensure i have enough x-max to eq for ulf(ultra low frequencies).

Close mic graph

in room response

MK,

What's influencing the 5db hump ~40hz in the near-field plot? I've never seen a near-field response like that with a sealed alignment. Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, I may have missed it. Your other extension graph is killer, your system is the envy of many.

Thanks

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman1970 /forum/post/20134735

Hi,

Thought I would start a Chase Home Theater Owners Thread since it was pointed out that there was none currently on AVS. I am still a relative beginner so all I can promise is to be more of a burden than a guide...
. So all you more experienced owners, feel free to post impressions, tips, graphs etc..etc.

Nice Job

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
I believe, IIRC, that all the CHT components are purchased through the Parts Express catalog, and the only proprietary item is a fixed L-pad added to the Sho/Pro speaker crossovers to match the tweeter output to the woofer. I could be wrong, I'm not a CHT owner, maybe their spokesperson could elaborate?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I know you can source almost all of the components for the Sho/Pro monitors from parts express but the sub driver is not an off the shelf item.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/20143632

I believe, IIRC, that all the CHT components are purchased through the Parts Express catalog, and the only proprietary item is a fixed L-pad added to the Sho/Pro speaker crossovers to match the tweeter output to the woofer. I could be wrong, I'm not a CHT owner, maybe their spokesperson could elaborate?

All our CHT speaker components are purchased under OEM agreements with Eminence and Selenium. This includes subwoofer drivers, woofers, compression drivers, wave guides and crossovers. We do not purchase these components from Parts Express. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
We have not been asked for pictures of the crossover, so it's likely none has been taken yet. I will look into it and see if we can get one put up on our website. As a company representative, I am not permitted to post such a picture here, as that may be considered martketing. Please allow a few days, and check on the website for the crossover pictures. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 882 Posts