AVS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 882 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840  /t/1321030/official-chase-home-theater-owners-thread/720#post_24057404

Are you suggesting that I look at something else besides the VS 18.1? My room is 14'w x 22'L x 11'H. I was told the vs 18.1 should go well below 30h Hz.

Like others that have provided input I also have dual VS18.1's running with a single Dayton in my 3300cu. ft. dedicated HT. At reference these are incredible subs even with the lowly Dayton and I get flat to 18Hz without jumping through any hoops. I have yet to clip the amp even when pushing them to uncomfortable levels - think Mike Tyson punch to the guts. I also have the amp inside the space so would never trade any amount of fan noise for a smidgen of output or a couple of Hz extension as I would rarely experience it in normal everyday use anyway.

You really have to prioritize what is important to you and how you will listen. This hobby is like any other. When looking for the ultimate sports car you can spend 10's of thousands of dollars to get fractions of second better performance but are you a track day kind of guy or will this car be for the street? No difference here some get so hung up on the really small things that when you read through the forum they tend to look like massive problems. I have been listening to the SHO-10's and dual VS18.1 in my HT now for more than a year. It would take something really special to get me to spend the multi-thousands of dollars required to best it.

Go over to the Chase forum and try to find someone locally that will give you a listen. If money is an issue and you do not want the hassle of building it yourself this sub is an excellent option and has made a lot of people happy.

Reactions: Anthony Cler

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts
Latest word on the ChaseHT forum is that the new Chane site is on the verge of going live. No indication of what the new domain name is, though.

I'm curious to see what the new site and the new products look like.

And I wish Craig Chase and Jon Lane all the best with their new and joint venture.

-- Edit --

A January 4 entry on TheAudioInsider forum indicates an expected launch date of Monday, January 13.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Joint venture? Are they in Colorado?

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach  /t/1321030/official-chase-home-theater-owners-thread/810#post_24776212

The old SS-18.1 has been measured at Data-Bass...

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube  /t/1321030/official-chase-home-theater-owners-thread/810#post_24776275

Looks almost exactly as Bossobass predicted it would, refuting the manufacturer's numerous claims.
Yup, this isn't a surprise based on my listening. Great midbass, but lacked in the deep bass dept where it would start to sound bad pretty quickly when pushed.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
This one was a no-brainer from day one.

I dislike being called a liar multiple times in public. The whole "you have an agenda" thing never bothered me but a liar I am not nor have I ever been.

CC should have left sleeping dogs lie and reported accurate data for his product.

LilGator was banned over the whole mess. In e-mail, he sent me a close mic response at my request. Here it is, precisely normalized to Josh's graph and overlaid onto Josh's GP measurement:

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Now that this has been put to bed, I would love to see a concerted effort against receiver manufacturer power ratings. Over and over receivers are rated at 110 x 5 wpc by companies like Pioneer, Onkyo etc., and are tested to actually have more like 40x 5 wpc.

To me, this is no different than what chase did, but correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1321030/official-chase-home-theater-owners-thread/810#post_24777551

I'm puzzled by the fact that the SS-18.1 was even being tested at this time, given that it was discontinued when Chase became Chane roughly six months ago.
Perhaps that's when CC is ready for 3rd party reviews?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass  /t/1321030/official-chase-home-theater-owners-thread/810#post_24777384

This one was a no-brainer from day one.

I dislike being called a liar multiple times in public. The whole "you have an agenda" thing never bothered me but a liar I am not nor have I ever been.

CC should have left sleeping dogs lie and reported accurate data for his product.

LilGator was banned over the whole mess. In e-mail, he sent me a close mic response at my request. Here it is, precisely normalized to Josh's graph and overlaid onto Josh's GP measurement:

'Nuff said.

Compare that with the LMS Ultra 5400 basic chart.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
eljaycanuck,

I'm a big believer in science, and that adding to the cumulative wealth of knowledge in any subject is a good thing, especially when there are questions of particular claims. So, it is critically important that the community now has verified, tested performance measurements of this sub, because there needs to be independent testing of manufacturer's performance claims, especially when they change so much over time.

This independent testing validates the community's concerns about the claims made for these sealed subs. Previous testing validated the manufacturer's claims about its ported offering. Testing is an important mediator between producer and consumer.

The DIY & GTG community was right that these sealed subs couldn't possibly perform anywhere close to the manufacturer's claims, that the sub drivers do make bad noises with 400-500W once they are asked to output in the frequency range that's the wheelhouse of most other sealed configurations (below 30Hz), and that the manufacturer was fudging/fabricating/outright lying about the claimed performance of their sealed subs.

You can choose to feel about the company and its performance claims however you want, but I think there are two distinct possibilities regarding claims of its sealed sub performance that we now know were wrong:

1) They were lying and knew from their own modeling and testing that these subs wouldn't perform as well as claimed. Unfortunately, this is pretty common in many industries, especially audio/visual and car sales.

2) They were incompetent because they couldn't perform their own testing of the subs and, thus, were blowing smoke and had to backtrack by changing their claims and making excuses for the changes once called out. This is, again unfortunately, also pretty common.

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube 

eljaycanuck,

I'm a big believer in science, and that adding to the cumulative wealth of knowledge in any subject is a good thing, especially when there are questions of particular claims. ...
I don't dispute that, but my question remains: Why was Josh testing that sub now?

Is it because Craig finally sent him the sub to test, even though it's no longer in production, and insisted that it be tested? Or because Josh is running so far behind on his work that he only just now got around to it? Or because Josh happened to have one lying around and, just for kicks, he decided to put it through its paces?

Maybe he'll chime in and provide some insight. Regardless, it is interesting to finally see the sub tested.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Craig told me long ago that his 18.2 would hit 104-106 dBs at 20hz and 92-93 dBs at 10hz. That does not seem to be too far off?

821 - 840 of 882 Posts