AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I don't question that the subs were beat up - I question the customer's story about how they got that way.
Under the presumable oversight of his brother and a lack of rigorousness WRT GMP. Bear in mind there was a lot of inconsistency back in the day. Another possibility is that Adrian Peterson got a hold of it but I haven't heard anything from Godell on this.

That was then. Now, things are different and there doesn't appear to be any reason for previous concerns. I wish them luck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have gotten nothing but superb performance from my CHT subs. I did not use Audessy to tune them, I had a pro come in (with about $15k in measuring equipment).

If there is a flat spot, I sure as hell can't find it. I can run someone out of the room with 6 of these bad boys, and they system does not even break a sweat. They are not the prettiest (and are situated so that they are fairly well out of site).

I can't remember how much I paid, but they were very inexpensive in regards to what they produce.

As I have said before, you can get quality stuff from China via stringent production oversight. And the subs are assembled here, (USA) yes?

Here is an analogy: I have many pairs of running/workout shoes from New Balance. They have stuff made completely in China (which I never buy). They have shoes made in America, which are very high quality.

Then they have stuff with materials made in China, but the shoes are assembled in the USA. These hybrids are also of very high quality.

Read this story which will give some insight as to why ED started putting out sh!t and eventually went belly up, http://www.newtonindependent.com/newton_independent/2012/12/by-peter-hussmann-ben-milne-founder-of-the-cash-based-payment-provider-dwolla-and-mentor-to-the-des-moines-start-up-communi.html

The lawsuit appears to be dead in the water as Alex and Matt filed for bankruptcy.

WRT FPB, a very brief synopsis is that his subs did not perform as expected and that was tied to his measurements which did not support CHT's. The latter values if you'll recall tended to not be written in stone. Recently, another owner of the same sub sent it to Josh Ricci and his measurements supported FPB's, so there you go. My take on this is that Craig did not keep accurate records when it came to measurements and published some erroneous ones with questionable explanations. I don't see this happening with the Chane partnership. From all accounts, the new subs are quite well built and finished. Now this doesn't mean that all owners of the earlier iterations are displeased but I trust you understand.

Eljay, from talking to someone who saw those subs you were talking about at a GTG (they eventually wound up in tess's hands), they were pretty beat up looking.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Not sure if anyone still comes here...but let's try...

My BIL's HT: put a Chase single 18 sub...model I think was s18 or 18s...whatever, don't remember...sorry...it's ported. It's been having some kind of weird issue for over a year now and I haven't had a chance to go take things apart since it sits snug behind a fixed screen. The bass is almost non existent and mostly anemic...most, if any, lows just come from the speakers it seems...the woofer is vibrating to a degree when you put your hand on it. I'm wondering if it is the Dayton Audio SA1000 amp. Also, during playback, there will be random bass spikes...the sub is randomly chuffing...best way to describe it. Suggestions on how to address this?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Do you have another amp that you could try with the sub to be able to rule out if it's the amp or not?

Unfortunately, no...The sub is at my BILs and I don't own an amp I can take there...I messed with the levels on the amp, and the chuffing still happens randomly no matter if it's a quiet or loud scene...Do you think there might be a port loading issue in the sub?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If the driver can be easily pushed on and go back and fourth, then the driver is most likely OK. It sounds like the sub is a VS 18.1 with a slot at the bottom at the bottom of the sub. The chance that it is an issue with the box is rare unless something was put in the slot. In other words, it sounds like a bad amp.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Can someone remind me what the difference is between the SHO-10 and PRO-10? If I remember correctly, it was just the woofer...but I'm not 100% and couldn't find it anywhere.

If it is just the woofer, can I "upgrade" my PRO-10 speakers by simply replacing their woofers with Eminence Delta-10As? Is it that simple? Or would there be crossover adjustments (or something else) that would also need to be made?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Oh, I see. It would be totally normal for Ford to announce a new Mustang and start taking orders by saying, "It's different than the last one, I swear. i'm not going to tell you how or why, but it is. Really."

And no one would take issue with that. They don't have to prove anything.

Furthermore, Ford's last model was claimed to go 0-60 in 4.0s and not questioned by anyone, but as finally tested by someone who paid for it, turns out it was only 6.5s and he's pretty miffed.

But we're all supposed to just keep quiet in here and let people get taken for a ride again and again, we shouldn't discuss this on a forum and make the manufacturer prove their claim
I know this thread is old but this cracked me up. Anybody getting 6.5 seconds to 60 in any Mustang GT built since 2005 is doing it wrong...and should probably give it up. I know a lot of people who make the claim a car isn't as fast as the manufacturer claimed and yet reporters, even the ones from Motor Trend get at least the claimed times Ford put out for the Mustang... even the newer V6 does better than 6.5, everybody questions Ford, Chevy etc... this is why magazines test them to see if the claims are accurate. ;)

My lowly bone stock 2006 GT did the 1/4 in 13.6 and 0 to 60 in 4.8, beating the magazines and Ford's claims, my guess is your friend would have run into the 14's, gotten out of the car and angrily claimed that Ford lied. The dragstrip is full of people who make claims, run down the strip only to learn the truth with a timeslip, if it's faster than they thought they are awesome drivers, if the time is worse, damn Ford/Chevy or whomever built the car, could never be their own fault... :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hi Jim. Given the track record of these amps I am not sure I would buy another. I am wondering if they are worth repairing.

I should probably try working with them a bit on my own first, although I have zero technical ability.

I did my own wiring, but hired someone to tune my system.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,724 Posts
Is the sound something new or has it been happening for awhile?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,724 Posts
Is it possible you have the infamous cable TV ground loop issue? I know the PE amps are highly susceptible to that.

861 - 880 of 882 Posts