AVS Forum banner

4781 - 4800 of 7250 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22191500

^^ Make sure to check which version FW, the one for CT-SSP in your case, and the one for whichever HDMI board it has. Can try reloading it also.

Had to to revert back to 3.0.1 after 2 attempts. That worked fine oddly enough. I tried again this morning and the update to 3.0.2 worked. Must have been some odd fluke.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22192614

Had to to revert back to 3.0.1 after 2 attempted. That worked fine oddly enough. I tried again this morning and the update to 3.0.2 worked. Must have been some odd fluke.

Nice gear, I just sent you a PM

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtguy  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4740#post_22180141

I run 35 ft cheap (mycablemart.com) HDMI from the SSP to a modified 9"crt and have no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4740#post_22168655

I was running prior to upgrading to a new projector a week ago a 25 ft length HDMI 1.3 spec from my SSP-800 to my old Infocus 7205 and never had a problem. I have upgraded to a new projector JVC RS55 and replaced the HDMI cable with a 1.4 spec cable without a problem. Maybe try a different HDMI cable? You know that the signal is being transmitted from your Oppo. Not that it is the same issue but don't you have to routinely clear out the "cache" or "que" in the Oppo? Not sure if that's the right word for the function on the Oppo?

Here is an update on the HDMI cable length issue. I emailed Classe and Carl responded with the following. [I]"The 23’ length should not be problematic but keep in mind that a more expensive cable is not necessarily better. More expensive usually means a bigger gauge. A bigger gauge means more capacitance. More capacitance reduces signal integrity with length. If the SSP-800 proves to be stable with a shorter cable, you need to try a 23’ HDMI cable for your installation".[/I] I wonder if that means that the SSP has a weaker output signal than other surround sound processors. The Anthem doesn't have that issue.

Not excited if i have to change cables. I went to considerable trouble to bury the cable in the ceiling. Unfortunately it worked when i tested it before i patched, textured and painted the ceiling and the wall that was affected. I will have to cut another hole in my wall to get the cable worked around the top plate of the wall because the turn is too sharp for the cable to pull through without damaging it. But first i will try another cable of equal or greater length to see if i can repeat the failure. Maybe i can save myself some money:)

Best

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Geek_00  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22204197

Here is an update on the HDMI cable length issue. I emailed Classe and Carl responded with the following. [I]"The 23’ length should not be problematic but keep in mind that a more expensive cable is not necessarily better. More expensive usually means a bigger gauge. A bigger gauge means more capacitance. More capacitance reduces signal integrity with length. If the SSP-800 proves to be stable with a shorter cable, you need to try a 23’ HDMI cable for your installation".[/I] I wonder if that means that the SSP has a weaker output signal than other surround sound processors. The Anthem doesn't have that issue.

Not excited if i have to change cables. I went to considerable trouble to bury the cable in the ceiling. Unfortunately it worked when i tested it before i patched, textured and painted the ceiling and the wall that was affected. I will have to cut another hole in my wall to get the cable worked around the top plate of the wall because the turn is too sharp for the cable to pull through without damaging it. But first i will try another cable of equal or greater length to see if i can repeat the failure. Maybe i can save myself some money:)

Best

Tim

Is this your first processor that has video passthrough vs intergrated video processing? Only a hunch but it's possible processors like the Anthem act as an hdmi repeater since they have integrated video processing. Maybe try adding a signal booster to the hdmi chain and see if that works for you.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Geek_00  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22204197

Best

Tim

I don't envy you! When I did my room I made sure to run a conduit thru my ceiling and walls. I even had to grind down a firestop in the wall to accomodate it. Like you I patched and painted over afterwards. That way I could just feed thru a replacement cable/s whenever I needed to. You have literally "painted yourself into a corner". Good luck, I think the cable replacement will work just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22206325

I don't envy you! When I did my room I made sure to run a conduit thru my ceiling and walls. I even had to grind down a firestop in the wall to accomodate it. Like you I patched and painted over afterwards. That way I could just feed thru a replacement cable/s whenever I needed to. You have literally "painted yourself into a corner". Good luck, I think the cable replacement will work just fine.

Update on the long HDMI cable issue with my SSP. I stopped by Fry's Electronics and picked up a 35' Monster HDMI cable to try in lieu of the 24' AudioQuest HDMI 3 cable I have been using. It works:eek: I am going to run it for a few weeks before I commit to pulling the other cable out of my ceiling but there was no lost signal. I'd like to find a shorter cable and will likely look around. You guys gave me some suggestions that i'll follow up on.

There was another issue that went away with the Monster cable that i was blaming on the HDMI card in my Sony G90 where I would get an occasional ghosting of the 3 primary colors, like the guns would go out of electronic alignment for a few seconds and then correct itself. I didn't see any of that last night. So maybe the AudioQuest cable is slightly damaged in some way either by the installation or from the factory. Dunno:confused: All I know is that I have to cut holes in my freshly redone room:mad: Yes, I did paint myself into a corner.

Best,

Tim

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Monster also makes a 25' cable , but it seems to cost more than the 35' one .

Anyway, I am running a 25' cable from the SSP to JVC RS-10, model BJC Series 2 from Blue Jeans . It was $36 on clearance. Works perfectly for me.

It has been superseded by Series FE designed to support the HDMI feature. It is CM rated for in-wall use. $64. I'd be surprised if it didn't work for you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just updated to the latest firmware, 3.0.2, last night. everything went fairly well. The only hick-up I ran into was; when the 800 was to apply the update. The procedure states that once the blue light goes to solid, to either touch the screen or the "Standby" button. I touched the screen and the screen illuminated and stated that it was updating the DSP, although the progress bar never moved past 0%. I waited approx. 10 minutes before powering down. I powered the unit back up after approx. 30 seconds, waited for the blue light to go solid, then used the "Standby" button this time, and everything finished as expected!

Don't know if this is a special circumstance, or what, just thought I would share this happening in case anyone else ran into a similar problem.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22215682

Just updated to the latest firmware, 3.0.2, last night. everything went fairly well. The only hick-up I ran into was; when the 800 was to apply the update. The procedure states that once the blue light goes to solid, to either touch the screen or the "Standby" button. I touched the screen and the screen illuminated and stated that it was updating the DSP, although the progress bar never moved past 0%. I waited approx. 10 minutes before powering down. I powered the unit back up after approx. 30 seconds, waited for the blue light to go solid, then used the "Standby" button this time, and everything finished as expected!

Don't know if this is a special circumstance, or what, just thought I would share this happening in case anyone else ran into a similar problem.

Dave

I think this update was a little flaky as far as the update process goes. I had to apply revert back to previous rev and rerun the update again it before it finally applied correctly. It works fine but it was a bit of pain this time.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22215707

I think this update was a little flaky as far as the update process goes. I had to apply revert back to previous rev and rerun the update again it before it finally applied correctly. It works fine but it was a bit of pain this time.

This was the first time for me to apply an updated firmware pkg. It did seem a bit lengthy, but my only comparison is to Blu-ray players and my sub. I haven't used the processor since the update, yet. I'll give it a go this weekend.

"Think good thoughts".

Dave

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
This update is different than the usual ones, in that not only does it change the uP firmware, but it loads new DSP code (DAE firmware from MDS) which is how Dolby Volume gets added. So it is a 2-step process that requires the power down/up cycle to cover both phases.

IIRC the last time the DSP code was updated was when 2.0.3 was released in May 2010 to fix the PEQ noise.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22216331

This update is different than the usual ones, in that not only does it change the uP firmware, but it loads new DSP code (DAE firmware from MDS) which is how Dolby Volume gets added. So it is a 2-step process that requires the power down/up cycle to cover both phases.

IIRC the last time the DSP code was updated was when 2.0.3 was released in May 2010 to fix the PEQ noise.

Thanks for the info Roger. I'm looking forward to the use of Dolby Volume for satellite listening. It will be a pleasure to maintain volume levels from one station to the next! One of the nice additions with this update.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I'm looking forward to becoming a SSP-800 owner in the forth coming week, (dual processor 1.3 version) first job will be to update the fw to 2.06, calibrate to its new home and start learning about getting the most out of this unit.

I'll be employing the PEQ as I have some specific

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
It has been awhile since I posted. I think the last time was when I was having a problem with my Denon universal bd player, which unfortunately is ongoing and had to go back for repair once again. I am almost to the point where I'm about to just get the Oppo BDP 93 or 95 as the Denon has practically been in repair more days than it's been in my house so far this year. Anyway the reason for my post is in case this happens to anybody else. Yesterday out of the blue I stopped getting the audio when using satellite. I got video but no audio. I went into the SSP800 menu to see if my settings for the Satellite had changed and every thing looked the same. I changed out the HDMI cables next and then next I reset the SSP800 but to no avail. Lastly and probably what I should have done first was I reset the Satellite receiver and that did the trick. I did come across a question when I was checking my settings and it had to do with the Crossover Slope which I had set at 24db octave as opposed to the other choice of 12db but honestly not sure why? I believe I heard that if my sub seemed to be overdone I would go with the 24db and if I was lacking bass I should switch to 12 db. Am I off base in my thinking here? By the way I am using 80Hz as a crossover for all my speakers which are Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands which I imagine is probably middle of the road as speakers go.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22224204

I did come across a question when I was checking my settings and it had to do with the Crossover Slope which I had set at 24db octave as opposed to the other choice of 12db but honestly not sure why?
The 24 dB setting best confines the subwoofer spectrum, helping to prevent its location from becoming audible.
Quote:
I believe I heard that if my sub seemed to be overdone I would go with the 24db and if I was lacking bass I should switch to 12 db. Am I off base in my thinking here?
The crossover slope is not an effective way to adjust bass levels or EQ. Better tools for that in the SSP.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks Roger for that info. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to mess with the EQ. I have considered having a professional calibrator do it.

4781 - 4800 of 7250 Posts