AVS Forum banner

4801 - 4820 of 7250 Posts

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
^^ REW and Omnimic have extensive tools that can be daunting. But they also cover very basic response measurements that are easy to do. They can find the major response warts and get you started on EQ. It's fun, really.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4770#post_22210941

Monster also makes a 25' cable , but it seems to cost more than the 35' one .

Anyway, I am running a 25' cable from the SSP to JVC RS-10, model BJC Series 2 from Blue Jeans . It was $36 on clearance. Works perfectly for me.

It has been superseded by Series FE designed to support the HDMI feature. It is CM rated for in-wall use. $64. I'd be surprised if it didn't work for you.
Thanks Roger. Your the second person to recommend blue jeans HDMI cables. I just placed an order for a 25ft FE series black cable. It sounds like it will be easier to run than the 35' Monster cable. And i don't have to deal with the extra 10' I have no use for.

Best,

Tim

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22230406

^^ REW and Omnimic have extensive tools that can be daunting. But they also cover very basic response measurements that are easy to do. They can find the major response warts and get you started on EQ. It's fun, really.

I might look into doing that at some point. I was hoping to get Jeff Meier down in my area some day, as he calibrated my system before I got the SSP800. I beleive someone else on this forum has used him and was happy with the results. Right now I am still waiting for my Denon A1 universal player to come back from repair, it has been over a month since I sent it in to New Jersey. It seems a shame to give up on such an expensive source player, but I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the Oppo universal player and I would be picking up alll the smart apps and versatility which the A1 does not have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Successfully update to 3.0.2 now, feels good

Btw guys, I've e-mailed Robert Adam asking for an updated RS-232 specification and I'll give you an update as soon as I know more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was just playing around, last night, with the "Dolby Volume" settings. From what I can tell, the "Low" setting seems to compress and equalize to a lesser amount than the "High" setting. While the "Modeler" setting seems to be more of a loudness boost, with an equalizing of the frequency spectrum throughout all the speakers (sorry if my descriptions are somewhat crude).

Can you folks shed a bit more light about the functionality of these settings?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22260210

Can you folks shed a bit more light about the functionality of these settings?
Classe is preparing a new manual. The following is based on that:

The two parameters accessible on the Dolby Volume setup page are the leveler and modeler.

The leveler is used to reduce perceived differences in volume level. It can be switched off or set to low or high. The low and high settings reflect the relative aggressiveness to which the algorithm will be applied to achieve volume leveling, with high being the mode with the least difference perceived in volume level.

It is especially useful when used with a set top box to maintain consistent volume levels across different television channels. For this reason, we have made the feature selectable by input, so you may engage it automatically whenever you watch TV but not when watching a Blu-ray, for example.

The modeler works independently to apply frequency response corrections based on the output level. These corrections are based on the relationship between our hearing sensitivity at various frequencies and the sound pressure level of those frequencies. In other words, the modeler applies different frequency contours at different volume settings. If you find the corrections too aggressive, you can simply leave the modeler switched off.

Since the SSP-800 did not include a reference offset control (it's part of the technology), there is no way to compensate modeler for different source loudness. That means when you reduce a louder source like music, it will think you are playing at a softer volume and overcorrect. Further, if you have EQ'd your system for listening levels below reference level, and switch on leveler, it will add too much correction (bass boost). My recommendation, do not use modeler.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have never updated my firmware since I bought the unit. Guess I need to get busy. I admit an Internet update option sure would have made it easy. Will look back thru the thread for helpful hints.

I am at 3.0.1 build 0093. How behind am I?

Rick

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22260587

I have never updated my firmware since I bought the unit. Guess I need to get busy. I admit an Internet update option sure would have made it easy. Will look back thru the thread for helpful hints.

I am at 3.0.1 build 0093. How behind am I?

Rick
Very little. 3.0.2 only just came out last month. The release notes detail all the changes you will see if you install 3.0.2.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22260552

Classe is preparing a new manual. The following is based on that:
The two parameters accessible on the Dolby Volume setup page are the leveler and modeler.

Thanks Roger, for the clarification. I kind of thought the leveler worked the way you described. My main goal is to use it for satellite viewing/listening.

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hmm.. My system isn't producing sound any longer

Not from a single channel.

Could the output board in the SSP-800 have blown perhaps?

Since I'm running 3 different amps and none of them give sound any longer it can't be the amps, and the subwoofer is also dead silent.

The SSP-800 is indicating that it is indeed getting an input signal and it changes depending on what I feed it (dts/Dolby/analog etc) and I get picture on the TV so at least the HDMI ports work.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Carl at Classé technical support said that its highly likely that the mainboard has failed since muting/unmuting doesn't result in a relay click so a repair is needed.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urskog  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22277441

Carl at Classé technical support said that its highly likely that the mainboard has failed since muting/unmuting doesn't result in a relay click so a repair is needed.
Whether muting uses the relay or not is also a matter of setup. In my case I set the mute to "dampen" the audio 50 dB. It sounds like mute, but it makes no clicks unless the MV is

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22278579

Whether muting uses the relay or not is also a matter of setup. In my case I set the mute to "dampen" the audio 50 dB. It sounds like mute, but it makes no clicks unless the MV is

Hello Roger,

How do you prevent relays clicking my Oppo BDP-95 always does that

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22278997

Hello Roger,

I never hear SSP's relays when operating a source component. What actions cause it?

Do you have the mute setup stock or have you changed it to dampen?

·
Registered
76 Posts
This unit is now 4 years old. Are Classe going to release a new model anytime soon? Is there anything around this price range that reproduces better cinema sound yet? What about better stereo?

Does it's venerable vintage mean that it's missing out on some new features or functions?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22278997

Hello Roger,

Unless Ime mistaken wse the method Roger used isnt applicable to the 95 unfortunately ; the 95s volume control is active for the analog outs only and the mute is global for all outputs ;activate = no sound ..

At least the relays are higher quality than transistors manage for switching formats etc ; maybe oppo will institute a circuit to drop the db's for mute in the next player ; your not the 1st to mention it

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemir  /t/980916/official-classe-ssp-800-thread/4800#post_22279624

This unit is now 4 years old. Are Classe going to release a new model anytime soon?
No, not soon.
Quote:
Is there anything around this price range that reproduces better cinema sound yet?
I have not seen it. But one's opinion might be based on having auto room EQ or other such features. The Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A) has improved over the years, now having MultEQ XT-32, Ethernet, WiFi, and THX modes. And it's 3/4 the price of the SSP. That's a pretty strong unit.
Quote:
What about better stereo?
Do you mean stereo sources played in surround, or played in 2.0? If the former, I concluded no 3 years ago when I bought the SSP, but not sure I would decide the same today. If the latter, probably lots, starting with their CP-800.
Quote:
Does its venerable vintage mean that it's missing out on some new features or functions?
It was missing features 4 years ago. Having all possible features was never the mission. IMHO very few essential features have appeared since then. Async USB probably the biggest one, and due to the complex nature of doing that right, the CP-800 was created.

4801 - 4820 of 7250 Posts