AVS Forum banner

7221 - 7240 of 7246 Posts

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a SSP-800. What is the easiest way to confirm if a unit has the HDMi 1.4 upgrade?
Either of these:

1) Look at the rear panel. If it only has 4 HDMI inputs (plus S-video inputs), it is the original HDMI board. The new board has 5 HDMI inputs, and S-jax went away.

2) Look at the firmware. If it is 2.x.x, it is the original board. If it is 3.x.x, it is the newer HDMI board.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Given all are talking SSP800 EQ ,here is one for comment :

Being in the:"twilight years" treble in my system at everyday listening levels are not great and could use a bit more sparkle in my system ( and my life for that matter, but this ain't going to come from the Classe!)

To achieve this I am using the Classe EQ as a Tilt control to shelve up the higher registers using the attached Classe EQ table I obtained years back ex a Classe SSP engineer (this table cud possibly assist others wanting to use the EQ)

Set as follows on all speakers using (and do not know if doing the correctly )the table : Band 1: G1 Q1 13,200Hz : covers 6,600 up to 20,000 and 6,600 down to 6,600

Band 2: G1 Q1 4,400 " 2,200 6,600 " 2,200 down to 2,200

(If for example using the table , Q2 used at 13,200 reduces/halves the Q1 range coverage to 3,300 up and 3,300 down )

Given this I am increasing the frequency range from 2,200 to 20,000 by 3db all the way - OR AM I ???

It is working , but just want to make sure that this is evenly increasing the whole frequency range by 3db, or is this line like a bell curve being only 3 db increasing at the set frequency and falling away above and below .

Anyone got suggestions if I am reading this incorrectly ?

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you add those filters in to REW you can see how they'll affect the response.
Here's the filters against an 80dB target.

I'm not sure how adding two filters with a gain of 1dB would add 3dB to the overall response?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you add those filters in to REW you can see how they'll affect the response.
Here's the filters against an 80dB target.

I'm not sure how adding two filters with a gain of 1dB would add 3dB to the overall response?
Apologies Conrad....should read G3 (not G1)to get a gain of 3db-typo!

Thanks for the graph !! ...can you possibly re-run this for me with a 3db gain ? I can then see exactly as to where to apply further filters .
(Or alternatively seeing you have the software possibly you can simulate as to with what settings (given that I have 5 bands per channel available to me) , I achieve an even 3db gain from 2200 to 20,000 HZ ?)

This will greatly assist and much appreciated !!Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
301 Posts
You may be able to do it in fewer filters, but something like this would work and gets you close. What you really want is a shelf filter, but the SSP doesn't support that.
You can play with these yourself too in REW which is free. PM me if you want some guidance in how I went about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
You may be able to do it in fewer filters, but something like this would work and gets you close. What you really want is a shelf filter, but the SSP doesn't support that.
You can play with these yourself too in REW which is free. PM me if you want some guidance in how I went about it.
Conrad ,
Works like a dream !! ...and I can adjust it down if too much - so ideal and like having a tone control as it were .

Much appreciated once again ,
Alan

·
Registered
140 Posts
Long time no posts!!! Can anyone assist given info below :

I have a Classe SSP800 unit (Serial 1914366/ Firmware 3.1.0 Build0114 )

The following issue occurs intermittently :

I’m running two subs via Sub out/Aux and all works as it should , however recently bass output shuts down and is not fed to either subs .

To correct ,I have to power down and reboot - subs would then work normally for a while , (anything from days to an hour )and then shuts down again .

To eliminate the possibility that the Sub out /Aux combination is not the issue causing this , I revert to one sub using Sub out XLR and works after taking out of standby then this output also shuts down after a time .
Therefore not this that is causing the issue and eliminated as a cause .

I then change Mode on the fly from Dolby Prologic Movie to DTS Neo Movie and signal to sub is back .
Change to Prologic again , signal to sub is is gone .

I have had a sub issue on and off for some years with this happening and reported to Classe few times, but not to this extent .

Hardware or firmware - Any ideas????????

Have contacted Classe support as well and awaiting a response
Just to update......some weeks on and nothing as yet heard back ex Classe support , despite a reminder !

Nevertheless ,cannot wait for them and proceeded as follows to attempt to correct myself :

In the event the data loaded in to the Configurations "confused" the firmware as it were, I factory reset the unit totally and did not archive any settings ;
Re-programmed from the get-go including the Configurations ;
Did NOT connect AUX Out for the second sub but used a splitter from Sub Out ;
No bass cut-out issues since .
Possibly a firmware conflict somewhere to do with the AUX software and the Bass management when using the second sub I think/hope ! Happy to live with this
without trying to re-install firmware and crash something else!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Given all are talking SSP800 EQ ,here is one for comment :

Being in the:"twilight years" treble in my system at everyday listening levels are not great and could use a bit more sparkle in my system ( and my life for that matter, but this ain't going to come from the Classe!) ?
Another "sparkle" option for us audiophile twilighters is hearing aids. Of course, this is blasphemy!

However, as one who has had hearing aids for about three years, I have some insights on these devices. I’m now on my second pair of hearing helpers. I learned the hard way one needs to be careful when removing a face mask or risk flinging a hearing aid unnoticed into a parking lot.

Costco Wholesale is the largest seller of and arguably the best place to buy hearing aids in the US. The only larger purveyor of hearing aids is the VA.

My first pair of hearing aids were Costco Kirkland Signature brand, manufactured by Rexton. While I was impressed with how natural and non-electronically amplified sounding the Rexton’s were, even with the volume turned up quite high, they really didn’t impress me with their ability to help me hear conversations, TV dialog or “sparkle”. Perhaps my audiologist just didn’t do a good job of tuning the aids to my ears.
Of course, three years later, Costco no longer sells the Rexton brand which meant a new pair of the current Kirkland hearing aids. Now the manufacturer is Phonak. Whether it’s the device itself or the skill of the audiologist or both, the difference between Rexton and Phonak is huge, a day and night difference.

My new Phonak aids set to their default setting, (which I assume boosts my deficient frequencies as determined by a thorough Costco performed hearing test) I believe restores my hearing to a normal volume level throughout a flat frequency spectrum.

So how do the new aids sound? Wow! Life is loud, too loud! I can hear the old Seth Thomas Mantle clock ticking at 30 feet with the volume turned way down. Without hearing aids, I need to have my ear within about a foot to hear faint ticking.
It’s almost like I have X-Ray ears, if I want them. The technician at Costco said there have been a lot of advancements in hearing aids in the past few years.

Of course, modern hearing aids are controlled by a blue tooth phone app. The Phonak app includes a volume control, comfort and clarity settings as well as a three-band graphic equalizer with custom presets for different curves. These Phonak aids really have some headroom, volume seems unlimited. I cannot use the default normal setting as it is just too loud with too much extraneous tizz. In a way it reminds me of what hearing was like when I was a child.

The good news is altering settings to suit is easy. There is a preset for TV and Music listening. Hearing dialog on TV has never been better. I no longer use the "F" button programmed to increase center channel trim in the SSP by 5 dB. With the Phonak hearing instruments, I can hear every word of dialog at an overall lower volume with no center channel boost.

I can’t help but think knowledge and knowhow used in modern hearing aids is similar to technology used in Mini DSP and other room EQ software like Audyssey and Dirac.

I haven’t quite decided if the new devices are as natural sounding as the old ones, but I sure do have my sparkle back!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Another "sparkle" option for us audiophile twilighters is hearing aids. Of course, this is blasphemy!

However, as one who has had hearing aids for about three years, I have some insights on these devices. I’m now on my second pair of hearing helpers. I learned the hard way one needs to be careful when removing a face mask or risk flinging a hearing aid unnoticed into a parking lot.

Costco Wholesale is the largest seller of and arguably the best place to buy hearing aids in the US. The only larger purveyor of hearing aids is the VA.

My first pair of hearing aids were Costco Kirkland Signature brand, manufactured by Rexton. While I was impressed with how natural and non-electronically amplified sounding the Rexton’s were, even with the volume turned up quite high, they really didn’t impress me with their ability to help me hear conversations, TV dialog or “sparkle”. Perhaps my audiologist just didn’t do a good job of tuning the aids to my ears.
Of course, three years later, Costco no longer sells the Rexton brand which meant a new pair of the current Kirkland hearing aids. Now the manufacturer is Phonak. Whether it’s the device itself or the skill of the audiologist or both, the difference between Rexton and Phonak is huge, a day and night difference.

My new Phonak aids set to their default setting, (which I assume boosts my deficient frequencies as determined by a thorough Costco performed hearing test) I believes restores my hearing to a normal volume level throughout a flat frequency spectrum.

So how do the new aids sound? Wow! Life is loud, too loud! I can hear the old Seth Thomas Mantle clock ticking at 30 feet with the volume turned way down. Without hearing aids, I need to have my ear within about a foot to hear faint ticking.
It’s almost like I have X-Ray ears, if I want them. The technician at Costco said there have been a lot of advancements in hearing aids in the past few years.

Of course, modern hearing aids are controlled by a blue tooth phone app. The Phonak app includes a volume control, comfort and clarity settings as well as a three-band graphic equalizer with custom presets for different curves. These Phonak aids really have some headroom, volume seems unlimited. I cannot use the default normal setting as it is just too loud with too much extraneous tizz. In a way it reminds me of what hearing was like when I was a child.

The good news is altering settings to suit is easy. There is a preset for TV and Music listening. Hearing dialog on TV has never been better. I no longer use the "F" button programmed to increase center channel trim in the SSP by 5 dB. With the Phonak hearing instruments, I can hear every word of dialog at an overall lower volume with no center channel boost.

I can’t help but think knowledge and knowhow used in modern hearing aids is similar to technology used in Mini DSP and other room EQ software like Audyssey and Dirac.

I haven’t quite decided if the new devices are as natural sounding as the old ones, but I sure do have my sparkle back!
Thanks for the interesting insight Mr E.........I have always walked away from the hearing aid issue .Once went to an ENT surgeon ........he advised turn up the volume and you will here it all once again using the volume control!
Seriously , what does a hearing aid do to the quality in terms of all the good high end things ??? Does it not "transistorise" everything?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the interesting insight Mr E.........I have always walked away from the hearing aid issue .Once went to an ENT surgeon ........he advised turn up the volume and you will here it all once again using the volume control!
Seriously , what does a hearing aid do to the quality in terms of all the good high end things ??? Does it not "transistorise" everything?
Hi Alsof1,

You are asking the most pertinent question regarding hearing aids and our audiophile hobby. I too thought hearing aids would sound tinny like a cheap transistor radio from the 60’s, lots of snap crackle, wind noises, the opposite of smooth natural sounds.

I’m no hearing aid expert, but I would say you might be surprised with how natural sounding properly dialed in hearing aids can be. One can make the new Phonak’s sound way overly detailed and irritating, but you do hear everything. Listening to music in that mode would be sharp, fatiguing, and annoying. For music and movie listening I have found keeping the volume control in the aid’s lower range and selecting the “music” preset gives a smoother more realistic, non-transistor like presentation yet allows more details to come through. I’ve not tried creating my own custom curve yet. There is also a “comfort” setting that I find is about right for most or all day. Comfort mode attenuates the volume of higher frequencies making for a more relaxed sound but still with some added sparkle.

I believe modern hearing aids when setup by a skilled audiologist are programed to boost and level the frequencies where a listener’s hearing has become deficient. I would have to disagree with your ear nose and throat friend because turning up the volume without adjusting for hearing loss would just make the unbalanced sounds your hearing louder.

I’ve also noticed I’m hearing more from my surround speakers when wearing my new aids.

I have more listening and tweaking to do, but so far, I’m impressed and intrigued by how much my new hearing aids add to my listening enjoyment.

Of course, in a perfect world I would prefer to have the hearing I had as a child.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been reading posts fir last couple hours. Here is my question:
I just purchased used SSP-800 and CT-5300.
They arrive sometimes next week. I have an OPPO 205, Sony TV old and Dynaudio Contour 30 speakers. This is me starting in audiophile world, my slow way.
Need help setting up the systems.
I am really new in this. I appreciate any suggestions. I am also thinking about should I purchase Audioquest speaker wires or ..
Tham you on in advance. I am excited to hear the sound. I heard so many good things about Classe. Yes, I know there is no Atmos or something else. May be Oppo can take care of that, I have heard.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have been reading posts fir last couple hours. Here is my question:
I just purchased used SSP-800 and CT-5300.
They arrive sometimes next week. I have an OPPO 205, Sony TV old and Dynaudio Contour 30 speakers. This is me starting in audiophile world, my slow way.
Need help setting up the systems.
I am really new in this. I appreciate any suggestions. I am also thinking about should I purchase Audioquest speaker wires or ..
Tham you on in advance. I am excited to hear the sound. I heard so many good things about Classe. Yes, I know there is no Atmos or something else. May be Oppo can take care of that, I have heard.
Welcome to this thread Ba!

You pretty much have the same pre-pro/amp combo I have.

When your stuff shows up:
• Determine which version SSP you have, hopefully it will be the latest or updated version and will have 5 HDMI 1.4 inputs.
• Check the firmware version. Opinions vary, but I have found version 3.1.0, the latest version, to be the most stable.
• I assume you will be using balanced (XLR) the preferred connection method. If you are using RCA cables, you will need to use shorting jumpers between pins 1 and 3 on the unused XLR inputs on the amp.
• Considering the SSP will be a brand new component in your system, a factory reset would probably be a good idea. Pressing F1, F2, F3, F4 in succession will bring up reset and other options. (I wish I would have done the reset when I first got my secondhand unit 5 years ago.)
• I suggest using the CAN-Bus connection (It’s just a CAT-5 cable) as it will allow you to check the operating parameters of the CT-5300 amp as well as eliminate the need for a 12V trigger cable.

While waiting for your new gear to arrive, spending some time reading the owner’s manual couldn’t hurt. I recall finding the Classé convention of highlighting then selecting buttons somewhat counterintuitive until I got used to it.

I like your speaker selection and I wish I would have purchased an Oppo 205 before the prices got ridiculous. Regarding Atmos and other object based surround formats, the SSP is limited to 7.1 channels. Of course, the SSP does a great job of play back on uncompressed Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master soundtracks but will playback Atmos discs as TrueHD.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Joeaten. Preamp and amp arrived today. SSP-800 has 5 HDMI inputs. Do not know about Firmware number. I am thinking about having a professional installer set up the system. Couple guys I talked with, kept talking me out of SSP-800, because of Dolby Atmos and 4K. Do you know or recommend anyone around here to help me install the system? I am in Northern California. I am currently using a 7.2 system. I am confused how can CT-5300 power up 5 speakers and 2 subs given it is 5-channel amp. I called our neighborhood Best Buy/Magnolia people. They just want to sell me different systems. Now I have preamp and amp sitting on top of the shelf. I don't even know if I should use Audioquest, Bluejays or .....
As you guys can sense, I am really new to this hifi world. My current receiver is Pioneer Elite SC-95. When I turn up the music, it sounds distorted. May be new speaker wires are needed. I think I will reach out to Best Buy for initial set up and speaker and interconnect wires.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
Thank you JDeaten. Preamp and amp arrived today. SSP-800 has 5 HDMI inputs. Do not know about Firmware number.
It will be easy to find out once it is turned on. On the remote, >Menu, >status, >version info. Might not need to be updated at all.

I am confused how can CT-5300 power up 5 speakers and 2 subs given it is 5-channel amp.
I would think most subwoofers have their own power amps inside. Don't yours? If you are planning a 7.2 system, you would still need another 2-ch amp for the 6/7th speakers. Or are you going 5.2?

I don't even know if I should use Audioquest, Bluejays or .....
No need to go crazy. I use BlueJean cables for analog audio and speaker cables. Amazon for HDMI. ;) Might even use existing interconnects and speaker wire if it's decent. It is not the cause of whatever distortion you hear unless someone drove a nail through it. :D

As you guys can sense, I am really new to this hifi world.
I think I will reach out to Best Buy for initial set up and speaker and interconnect wires.
AVS Forum has lots of folks who can help with general system setup, and in this particular thread with anything specific to the SSP-800. Perhaps open a thread in the general HT forum (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/) entitled "Help me set up my surround system". Give all the details, besides the SSP and 5300, the speakers, subs, room size and arrangement, etc. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
So, I just recently purchased a SSP-800 unit with the HDMI 1.4 board and I updated the firmware from version 3.0.1 to version 3.1.0. So far, I'm really happy with the unit - sound quality is the best I've had from a surround sound processor. One annoying thing I don't understand is that Dolby Late Night volume compression apparently keeps turning on by itself with my Fire TV stick input. I have configured all of my inputs as follows: controls -> system trims -> Dolby late night -> Off. When the unit is powered down to standby and turned back on, the volume level is obviously compressed, and when I toggle (press twice) the "night" mode button on the remote, after first press display says "late night: on" and volume remains unchanged, after second press display says "late night: off" and volume increases dramatically. So, it appears that late night processing was being applied even though set to "off" in the menu before the toggle. When using the unit with firmware version 3.0.1 before upgrading, I don't recall this Dolby volume issue.

Anyone ever experience similar, and have a solution? Also, maybe a previous firmware (3.0.2) could work better - is there anywhere I can download an older firmware version?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quick update: Reading through this thread, I just applied a factory reset, which seems to be the standard thing to try after a hard reboot fails to resolve a "quirk". I tested several power down (to Standby) and power ups. So far, the "Dolby late night" volume issue has NOT re-occurred. When I upgraded the firmware from 3.0.1 to 3.1.0, I had previously not factory reset. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue permanently.

7221 - 7240 of 7246 Posts