AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 6229 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1 /forum/post/0

Scanpa- is 30 second skip alive and well? Do you still need to go to user settings to change closed captioning?

Yes the 30 sec. skip works on this STB.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, after recording several shows on both Tuners, I have noticed the following.

At 8pm, I have 2 series recordings set to record. First program started recording on Tuner 2, However Turner 1, the one I was currently watching seemed to have problems changing the channel to the one to be recorded... You could see the tuner working to change the ch.

I used the remote to change the ch myself, and after the ch. changed, it began the recording.

The 3412 also seems to delay the program by 7 - 10 seconds on Ch. that are buffered. Compared to 2-3 sec. of delay on the 6412.

Also Pausing a live show on the 3412, it would only stay paused for 15min MAX. On the 6412 it was 60 Min. Then it would un pause itself.

All of the DVR Cmds. via the remote seem faster on the 3412 then the 6412.

30 Second Skip Macro still works!
FF / RW speeds are a tad slowwer then the 6412, but I will time them later on both STB.

more later.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htrider /forum/post/0

I've had the 3412 from Comcast for about 10 days now, and have observed the following two problems:

1. On my 60" Sony SXRD, I will occassionally find a blank 'green' screen. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's right after powering the TV on or after having used the 'pause' button for the 3412. In every instance, the problem was resolved by using the 'swap' button to switch back and forth between the two tuners.

2. When playing back "Troy," about half-way through the movie, the picture would intermittently stutter. It happened frequently enough to be very annoying. The next day, I went back to one of the scenes most affected, and it did not stutter at all, so it did not happen during the recording phase.

Has anyone else seen either of these problems? Overall, I'm very happy with the picture quality of the 3412. My only gripe would be that as compared to the standalone Tivo I used to use before going to HDTV, the pause and play buttons are far behind in responsiveness. There is also no intelligent 'rewind' when you stop a fast-forward to accomodate normal reaction times.

I've had mine about 10 days too, and I've noticed the skipping at times as well. It rarely (if ever) happens on HD channels though. I've mostly noticed it on the newly digital 0-99 channels. I've had no green screen issues at all.

I have noticed that others have noted how quiet it is. I actually think it's loud. I have not had any experience withe the 6412, so I have nothing to compare it to. The hard drive makes this clicking sound constantly while buffering and when you change channels. The fan is pretty quiet though. I was going to call and have them swap it for a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa /forum/post/0

Ok, after recording several shows on both Tuners, I have noticed the following.

At 8pm, I have 2 series recordings set to record. First program started recording on Tuner 2, However Turner 1, the one I was currently watching seemed to have problems changing the channel to the one to be recorded... You could see the tuner working to change the ch.

I used the remote to change the ch myself, and after the ch. changed, it began the recording.

Were you able to record 2 shows at the same time and then watch another channel? I thought the instructions said this was possible but I had a problem last night. At 8:30 I had 2 series set to record (1 started at 8:00) and I was watching something else. I got the message to change the channel for the 2nd recording or cancel the recording. Thanks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm confused. Is the whole home WORKING, yet? or is that a later firmware update?

Right now we have two 6412s just so we can watch in two rooms.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfore13 /forum/post/0

Were you able to record 2 shows at the same time and then watch another channel? I thought the instructions said this was possible but I had a problem last night. At 8:30 I had 2 series set to record (1 started at 8:00) and I was watching something else. I got the message to change the channel for the 2nd recording or cancel the recording. Thanks.

With a two-tuner DVR you can record two shows and watch a recorded show at the same time, but watching a "live" show would require a third tuner.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Does the 3412 use the same remote and thus the same IR codes as the 6412? I imagine the answer is yes.

I ask on the off chance that it would be possible to have both a 6412 and a 3412 in the same line of sight, without a conflict.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronowyn /forum/post/0

I'm confused. Is the whole home WORKING, yet? or is that a later firmware update?

Both ...

It is working ... at trade shows and demos.

However, it has not been deployed yet by any cable companies (nor, to my knowledge, have any cable companies announced intentions to do so). So you'll need a firmware update (Ucentric middleware and updates to resident app to support it) and you'll need a hardware update (either what Motorola calls a NIM for all of its existing boxes) or if a cable company makes up its mind on a networking strategy (Moca, HomePNA, whatever) Motorola could start building boxes that don't require a NIM. Oh yah ... and of course you'll need your cable company to decide they actually want to deploy (and pay for) it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by km /forum/post/0

Does the 3412 use the same remote and thus the same IR codes as the 6412? I imagine the answer is yes.

I ask on the off chance that it would be possible to have both a 6412 and a 3412 in the same line of sight, without a conflict.

sorry, it is still the same code.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ok.... so it's not supported by Comcast yet to do that whole home networking thing.

So, is the harddrive bigger? I'm just wondering, besides the smaller size, what the advantage would be of me picking this up.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronowyn /forum/post/0

ok.... so it's not supported by Comcast yet to do that whole home networking thing.

So, is the harddrive bigger? I'm just wondering, besides the smaller size, what the advantage would be of me picking this up.

Comcast does have plans for the Home Media Solution setup.

for the 3400 series Digital STB:

the 3412 model has a 120gb HD - Available Now via Comcast in select areas.

the 3416 model has a 160gb HD

the 3432 model has a 320gb HD

the last 2 digits in the model # tells you the size of the HD.

it is lighter, has a fan under the HD, has no Analog cable decode, works only on cable systems that are fully digital. Uses F/W 12.22 -Aug 08, 2005

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, here's my final question. How do I find out when my cable company office HAS them?

I tell them model numbers and they look at me as if I were nuts.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc /forum/post/0

Both ...

It is working ... at trade shows and demos.

However, it has not been deployed yet by any cable companies (nor, to my knowledge, have any cable companies announced intentions to do so). So you'll need a firmware update (Ucentric middleware and updates to resident app to support it) and you'll need a hardware update (either what Motorola calls a NIM for all of its existing boxes) or if a cable company makes up its mind on a networking strategy (Moca, HomePNA, whatever) Motorola could start building boxes that don't require a NIM. Oh yah ... and of course you'll need your cable company to decide they actually want to deploy (and pay for) it.

Excellent answer. Comcast should solicit their customers to find out what they really want. For me, this is it. Their DVR is far from perfect but it does an adequate job. Hopefully the i-Guide will see continual improvements and the upcoming TiVo guide will be as good as the standalone and DirecTV versions.

My area has VOD, CDV, ADS, DVR, and HSI. The infrastructure is complete. Now it is time to add additional features like "Whole Home". Imagine the possibilities once Comcast can reclaim all of the useless Analog Bandwidth!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm getting Comcast HD-DVR, modem, and telephone services on Nov. 29th. I called and they verified it will be a 3412. I'll update with any useful information at that time.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna /forum/post/0

Comcast can reclaim all of the useless Analog Bandwidth!

ROFLMAO, not to mention getting rid of several dupe Ch. we have at least 7 - 10 networks that are on multiple CH.

3 dupes of NBC-Jewelry network..... 2 of them on side by side ch....

2 dupes of MTV2, 3 dupes of HBO 1 East, 2 of HBO 1 HD East.

and so on and so on....

Wasted BW abounds on the hershey comcast system.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yar /forum/post/0

I'm getting Comcast HD-DVR, modem, and telephone services on Nov. 29th. I called and they verified it will be a 3412. I'll update with any useful information at that time.

Where are you located and what comcast feed do you use?

If your install Tech needs help, have him join us here on AVS. we will be glad to help him out..........

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:

ROFLMAO, not to mention getting rid of several dupe Ch. we have at least 7 - 10 networks that are on multiple CH.

3 dupes of NBC-Jewelry network..... 2 of them on side by side ch....

2 dupes of MTV2, 3 dupes of HBO 1 East, 2 of HBO 1 HD East.

and so on and so on....

Wasted BW abounds on the hershey comcast system.

Here in Chicago we have some dupes too. Dupe channels doesnt mean they use twice the bandwith. They are the same MHz frequency but the box can map that freq to many channels.

For instance, channel 136 and 294 here are G4. They are on the same MHz channel, which is 663 MHz.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc84 /forum/post/0

Here in Chicago we have some dupes too. Dupe channels doesnt mean they use twice the bandwith. They are the same MHz frequency but the box can map that freq to many channels.

For instance, channel 136 and 294 here are G4. They are on the same MHz channel, which is 663 MHz.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. cause MTV2 is the same freq on both mapped locations. Howeversome are different Freqs.

They might just be multicast.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:

Where are you located and what comcast feed do you use?

If your install Tech needs help, have him join us here on AVS. we will be glad to help him out..........

Marietta, GA - 20 mi NW of Downtown Atlanta.

As for what Comcast feed I use - I'd be interested in learning enough about this to know what you are even asking me and how to answer it!

I've been a loyal D* customer ever since I bought this house. I just got sick of trying to plan out an entire HS10/OTA/3LNB solution (or wait for 5LNB MPEG4) in order to pump some actual HD into my Sony 34HS420 that's still being fed by a Series I DirecTiVo.

Anything I ought to know to help my install tech get it right?

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yar /forum/post/0

This seems odd, since you are in Martietta Georiga. Although Comcast has been transmitting the digital simulcast channels for testing in the area, the 6412's here are not currently mapping them in. A few of the channels were mapped in over the summer, but they have gone back to analog for a few months now.

I would have thought Comcast would have done the switch over on the current 6412 (and 2244) base that could switch back in case of trouble, rather than first deploy the 3412 which can't.

Please post if you actually get a 3412 on the 29th. The CSR might just be confused and you will actually get a 6412.

21 - 40 of 6229 Posts