AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 6229 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had one installed on my WEGA V 50A10 Saturday. DVR functions work fine but the SD Picture Quality is worse then what I got from my old Comcast Digital box. Any ideas what to do? Anything transmitted in HD is great thought.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by km /forum/post/0

Please post if you actually get a 3412 on the 29th. The CSR might just be confused and you will actually get a 6412.

That's possible. But I was transferred to the "technical" CSR and she verified more than once that it was one of the "brand new" 3412s. I never even mentioned 3412s myself, I was trying to figure out if it was a 6412 phase 3 or not.

I guess there's no point in speculating much more until it actually arrives.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This is interesting. I just had a 3412 replace a 6412 last Saturday. I thought what I was getting was a 6412 Phase III box?

In any case, like most said, the box is smaller, and lighter, doesn't have a DVI output
, and works exactly like the 6412.

Did anyone get a stuttering image on the HD channels when the box was first hooked up?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm confused about the 34xx series and how they play with analog.

I understand they're used with systems that have been converted to transmit all their analog channels on digital as well. Where do these new digital channels sit in the cable spectrum.

Do the analog channels go away? I can't figure out what's in it for the cable companies unless they delete the analog versions.

tnx

jim

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller /forum/post/0

I'm confused about the 34xx series and how they play with analog.

I understand they're used with systems that have been converted to transmit all their analog channels on digital as well. Where do these new digital channels sit in the cable spectrum.

Do the analog channels go away? I can't figure out what's in it for the cable companies unless they delete the analog versions.

tnx

jim

The 34XX will only decode Digital Channels...If there are still analog channels on your system then it will ignore them.

This is part of the transition to all Digital Cable (better picture and lower bandwidth requirements)

They will introduce the 34xx after your area is running in "Digital Simulcast Mode", which means you still have all of the Analog on your system but they are simulcasting all of those channels on a separate Digital Channel (that the digital boxes will use instead).

Then they will gradually phase out the analog channels (and provide a small/cheap Digital STB like the DCT700 to their legacy analog subscribers)

·
Registered
397 Posts
hmmm

what about all their subscribers who don't have a box now because they don't have digital? will they just terminate service to them or give them a box anyway?

jim

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
my last sentence addresses that.

"Then they will gradually phase out the analog channels (and provide a small/cheap Digital STB like the DCT700 to their legacy analog subscribers)"

The DCT700 is a small box that they will give to there "Analog" Subscribers (whose TV's only have an analog tuner) so they can watch channels 2-80 still (but they will be in digital format and they will now have to use a box like all the Satellite Customers do already)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdog /forum/post/0

my last sentence addresses that.

"Then they will gradually phase out the analog channels (and provide a small/cheap Digital STB like the DCT700 to their legacy analog subscribers)"

The DCT700 is a small box that they will give to there "Analog" Subscribers (whose TV's only have an analog tuner) so they can watch channels 2-80 still (but they will be in digital format and they will now have to use a box like all the Satellite Customers do already)

davisdog is correct about the DCT-7xx series of Digital Cable Set top Box.

I can only speak for Comcast service, but in the next 3 - 5 Years, and after your area is all Digital, they will encrypt there entire Cable service, that will require The All Digital DCT-7xx, or the 64xx / 34xx Duel Tuner DVR STB or Cable Card 1 & 2 systems. $$$-???? You will need one of the 2 to decode Comcast cable.

The STB range from $4.95 pm to $16.95 pm for cable box rental.

My Area has already started to encrypt several of there cable ch. We only have 1 Premium pay ch left in the old Analog tier. (HBO-1 East) And our system is fully Digital Simulcast.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa /forum/post/0

davisdog is correct about the DCT-7xx series of Digital Cable Set top Box.

I can only speak for Comcast service, but in the next 3 - 5 Years, and after your area is all Digital, they will encrypt there entire Cable service, that will require The All Digital DCT-7xx, or the 64xx / 34xx Duel Tuner DVR STB or Cable Card 1 & 2 systems. $$$-???? You will need one of the 2 to decode Comcast cable.

The STB range from $4.95 pm to $16.95 pm for cable box rental.

My Area has already started to encrypt several of there cable ch. We only have 1 Premium pay ch left in the old Analog tier. (HBO-1 East) And our system is fully Digital Simulcast.

I'd be interested in how they are going to deploy all these digital STBs. My parents who live on a fixed income have 3 cable-ready TVs connnected to comcast via coax, no STB. Is comcast going to contact them one fateful day and let them know they need to cough up $4.95x3/month to continue receiving basic cable service?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1 /forum/post/0

I'd be interested in how they are going to deploy all these digital STBs. My parents who live on a fixed income have 3 cable-ready TVs connnected to comcast via coax, no STB. Is comcast going to contact them one fateful day and let them know they need to cough up $4.95x3/month to continue receiving basic cable service?

Comcast normaly has advance notice of changes with cable service included in the monthly cable bill. But they have not decided about how they will handle the millions of subscribers that currently do not use a STB.

But it will come to a time where all subscribers will need a STB or a cable card System due to the Encryption of the cable system.

Just thank all of those people who are steeling cable service.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:

My (uninformed) guess would be that the forced cut over date would be no sooner than December 31, 2008 the date that the house bill requires broadcasters to stop broadcasting in analog. At that point no over the air TV for analog sets would be available without a converter box, so the cable companies could just portray their requirement as in line with that new reality.

The house and senate bills provides some subsidy for the over the air boxes, and I'll bet the cable companies end up initially subsidizing the no frills digital cable boxes.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Quote:

Just thank all of those people who are steeling cable service.

Do you really believe that? In the past, the analog set-top boxes were free. If this was simply a move to stop theft, the cheap boxes would still be free. If they start charging a monthly stb fee, it is all about a monopoly upping its monthly service fees.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

Quote:

My (uninformed) guess would be that the forced cut over date would be no sooner than December 31, 2008 the date that the house bill requires broadcasters to stop broadcasting in analog. At that point no over the air TV for analog sets would be available without a converter box, so the cable companies could just portray their requirement as in line with that new reality.

The house and senate bills provides some subsidy for the over the air boxes, and I'll bet the cable companies end up initially subsidizing the no frills digital cable boxes.

That is an interesting guess. I wonder if folks will take another look at OTA at that point. Get a box free from the government and pay no monthly fee or get a box from the cable company for free(?) but pay a monthly fee. I bet cable will offer the first box free, additional STBs will cost something.

Anywho, scanpa have you tried recording anything from the firewire ports?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Quote:

That is an interesting guess. I wonder if folks will take another look at OTA at that point. Get a box free from the government and pay no monthly fee or get a box from the cable company for free(?) but pay a monthly fee. I bet cable will offer the first box free, additional STBs will cost something.

Anywho, scanpa have you tried recording anything from the firewire ports?

nope not yet! Will have to swap it out with the 6412 that is in the computer room.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rookie /forum/post/0

Do you really believe that? In the past, the analog set-top boxes were free. If this was simply a move to stop theft, the cheap boxes would still be free. If they start charging a monthly stb fee, it is all about a monopoly upping its monthly service fees.

It is more of a problem, then most people realize.

But I agree, they will have to offer the basic Digital No Frills STB for Free or at a very cheep monthly rate. They also require a Valid CC.

·
Registered
397 Posts
how many folks do you know that have no cable box today and yet have multiple tv sets around the house connected to the cable.

this is going to get ugly...

jim

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller /forum/post/0

how many folks do you know that have no cable box today and yet have multiple tv sets around the house connected to the cable.

this is going to get ugly...

jim

TONS!

Simple solution is to have Built in 256QAM Tuners w/ Cable Card 1 or 2 systems. Then the Cable Co. would not have to provide STB.

Another simple answer would be to start issuing DCT-7xx STB to houses on all Future Basic Cable installs. that way those people are already on total Digital Cable systems. Then you only have to deal with the Previous Subscribers that do not have STB.... That's possibly why this will not start for at least 3 - 5 Years....

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:

Simple solution is to have Built in 256QAM Tuners w/ Cable Card 1 or 2 systems. Then the Cable Co. would not have to provide STB.

The joke is that the government has mandated expensive atsc over the air tuners in all new sets. These will be useless to cable customers (60%) and satellite customers (25%).

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:

The joke is that the government has mandated expensive atsc over the air tuners in all new sets. These will be useless to cable customers (60%) and satellite customers (25%).

Those stats don't tell the whole story. Yes, ~15% of households use OTA only, but ~30% of households use OTA on one or more TVs, in addtion to cable and/or satellite.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote:

The government doesn't have to care about cable and satellite subscribers. They want to turn off analog OTA TV, so they have to mitigate its impact on OTA users. Besides, most name brand TVs that have the mandated ATSC tuners can also tune QAM. Most of those also have CableCard. Once the MFG puts an ATSC tuner the incremental cost of QAM/CableCard is not that much. The more ridiculous thing is how much cable companies charge to rent a CableCard. In my mind there is no way they can justify charging the same rental fee for a CableCard as an entire HD (non-pvr) cable-box, but in most cases that's the way it is.

- Mike

41 - 60 of 6229 Posts