AVS Forum banner

6221 - 6229 of 6229 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug /forum/post/20867713

It is clearly a Motorola and marked RNG200N on the front.

That must be a mistake...maybe the cover lid of a Motorola DCX-3501 happens to fit the RNG200N's (your cable company may have services that unit and stuck the wrong lid on it). Pace/Cisco makes the RNG200N, not Motorola.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 /forum/post/20868385

That must be a mistake...maybe the cover lid of a Motorola DCX-3501 happens to fit the RNG200N's (your cable company may have services that unit and stuck the wrong lid on it). Pace/Cisco makes the RNG200N, not Motorola.

I've moved this discussion to the DCX thread, but as I mentioned there Motorola is embossed in the cover of the box and the tag on the bottom says Motorola DCX3501? These just arrived at my local Comcast office. They are new units, not reconditioned units.

I looked at both the Pace and Cisco units online and the face of this unit looks nothing like either of them.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug /forum/post/20868822

I've moved this discussion to the DCX thread, but as I mentioned there Motorola is embossed in the cover of the box and the tag on the bottom says Motorola DCX3501? These just arrived at my local Comcast office. They are new units, not reconditioned units.

I looked at both the Pace and Cisco units online and the face of this unit looks nothing like either of them.

pwaug,

I can confirm the Motorola RNG200N. I swapped out our DTC3416 last weekend for a higher capacity DVR, and was given "their newest model", which has a front panel clearly labeled Motorola with model number RNG200N.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Question about my 3416. My son likes a cartoon named Gumball. I set up a series recording of only new episodes. I've checked it and rechecked it so it's definately not set up to record repeats. But it records repeats. So at any time I'll have at least 5 or 6 episodes. I know I can limit the total # of shows it records but then it might miss the new ones. I know it's probably a long shot but does anyone else here record this show and/or have a similar issue?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 /forum/post/20937588

Question about my 3416. My son likes a cartoon named Gumball. I set up a series recording of only new episodes. I've checked it and rechecked it so it's definately not set up to record repeats. But it records repeats. So at any time I'll have at least 5 or 6 episodes. I know I can limit the total # of shows it records but then it might miss the new ones. I know it's probably a long shot but does anyone else here record this show and/or have a similar issue?

I don't know that show, but I suspect what's happening is that the programming guide doesn't distinguish between new and repeated episodes. I suspect that the description of each episode in the guide is the same, a generic description of the program. In that case, the DVR doesn't know which episodes are new and which are repeats, and therefore it assumes they're all new and records them all. In that case, there's not much you can do about the problem. If you know for a fact that new episodes premiere on a certain day at a certain time, you can go into your upcoming recordings and manually delete the other ones. But that does take time and foresight. Alternately, you can set up a manual series recording for that particular day and time. That way, only those episodes would be recorded. However, if the network changes the airing day or time, you'd have to set up a new manual recording.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 /forum/post/20937588

Happens to me ALL the time and that's why I hate this box so much but love my HDTivo's. The Comcast box (in our bedroom) continues to record EVERY episode of Biography even though I have it set to 'new' only (happens with Are Your Smarter than a 5th Grader too). Frustrating especially since the hard drive is so tiny it can't hold a lot to begin with so I constantly have to manually 'do not record' shows each week. And what about the 'bug' in the software? The bug I'm referring to is if you have two shows set to record at the same time you can't cancel both recordings! Only one. If you 'cancel' one it automatically resets the other show to record. Another frustrating issue....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux /forum/post/20937980

I don't know that show, but I suspect what's happening is that the programming guide doesn't distinguish between new and repeated episodes. I suspect that the description of each episode in the guide is the same, a generic description of the program. In that case, the DVR doesn't know which episodes are new and which are repeats, and therefore it assumes they're all new and records them all. In that case, there's not much you can do about the problem. If you know for a fact that new episodes premiere on a certain day at a certain time, you can go into your upcoming recordings and manually delete the other ones. But that does take time and foresight. Alternately, you can set up a manual series recording for that particular day and time. That way, only those episodes would be recorded. However, if the network changes the airing day or time, you'd have to set up a new manual recording.

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more detailed in my original description. The shows are always differently titled. For example one was called "The Prank" and had a description matching the title. This is just one that sticks out in my head but they all are individually titled.

I have considered the manual recording so that may be what I end up doing.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Call your cable company and complain. It's not the DVR's fault. It's a problem with the guide data that your cable company purchases from a third-party. I've had problems with it recently where repeat episodes of The Daily Show were flagged as new.

6221 - 6229 of 6229 Posts