AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 6229 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura /forum/post/0

The government doesn't have to care about cable and satellite subscribers. They want to turn off analog OTA TV, so they have to mitigate its impact on OTA users. Besides, most name brand TVs that have the mandated ATSC tuners can also tune QAM. Most of those also have CableCard. Once the MFG puts an ATSC tuner the incremental cost of QAM/CableCard is not that much. The more ridiculous thing is how much cable companies charge to rent a CableCard. In my mind there is no way they can justify charging the same rental fee for a CableCard as an entire HD (non-pvr) cable-box, but in most cases that's the way it is.

- Mike

Mike, I don't agree. Up to this point in time there have only been a handfull of atsc tuners that are QAM (unless a ton hit the market in the last couple months that I haven't heard of). Additionally, only a few of those that are qam have the cablecard.

As far as cost goes, Comcast offers the cable card free of charge in most areas.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rookie /forum/post/0

Mike, I don't agree. Up to this point in time there have only been a handfull of atsc tuners that are QAM (unless a ton hit the market in the last couple months that I haven't heard of). Additionally, only a few of those that are qam have the cablecard.

As far as cost goes, Comcast offers the cable card free of charge in most areas.

I just did a quick survey of HDTVs.

* Every current model Sony Integrated HDTV (with ATSC tuner) (except 70" Grand Wega XBR which is an old model) has a CableCARD slot.

* Every current Mitsubishi Integrated Set is Digital Cable Ready (with CableCARD slot). Mitsubishi has also had unencrypted QAM tuning since their first ATSC integrated TV.

* Every current Samsung DLP HDTV is Digital Cable Ready and 6 of 9 Samsung Plasmas are DCR. 3 of 5 Samsung LCD TVs with ATSC are DCR.

So, Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD is now in the majority of integrated HDTVs.

I've never heard of free CableCARDs from Comcast. I've heard of $5 to $10 per month. I might pay $5 but $10 is ridiculous. I've never asked for one from my local franchise because I haven't had their service since CableCARD came out and I don't have a new set. However, the office is just down the street from my house so I'm inclined to go ask.

Back to the topic of "free boxes" and STB fees. The only reason I tolerate the $5/mo reciever fee from D* is that their basic monthly is low enough that it's still cheaper than cable. I hated the STBs from Comcast. Mostly because of the terrible IR receiver on the DCT2000 that missed Tivo channel changes. Obviously a 3412 would not have that kind of problem, but I won't go back to Comcast until and unless they have Tivo software on their boxes and the total monthly costs (including STB & DVR fees) are competitive with DirecTV. I currently have 2 SD-DirecTivos and record HD OTA on my HTPC.

- Mike

·
Premium Member
35,556 Posts

Quote:

I've never heard of free CableCARDs from Comcast. I've heard of $5 to $10 per month. I might pay $5 but $10 is ridiculous. I've never asked for one from my local franchise because I haven't had their service since CableCARD came out and I don't have a new set. However, the office is just down the street from my house so I'm inclined to go ask.

- Mike

It may vary depending on area, but in general, Comcast offers the CC free if it is the only digital hookup you have. It's included in the price of the subscription. If you have an additional digital connection, even to the same display as a STB is connected to, then you are charged $6.95 for "Additional Digital Outlet". I have seen that price as low as $1.95 and as high $10.00.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/0

It may vary depending on area, but in general, Comcast offers the CC free if it is the only digital hookup you have. It's included in the price of the subscription. If you have an additional digital connection, even to the same display as a STB is connected to, then you are charged $6.95 for "Additional Digital Outlet". I have seen that price as low as $1.95 and as high $10.00.

That's the same thing as saying the first digital cable box is included in the "digital cable" fee of $9.95. I still say that a CableCARD should rent for less than a full STB, even a SD one, but I'm sure that's not the case. I would bet the rental is the same as an STB at almost all Comcast franchises.

- Mike

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

Quote:

I just did a quick survey of HDTVs.

* Every current model Sony Integrated HDTV (with ATSC tuner) (except 70" Grand Wega XBR which is an old model) has a CableCARD slot.

* Every current Mitsubishi Integrated Set is Digital Cable Ready (with CableCARD slot). Mitsubishi has also had unencrypted QAM tuning since their first ATSC integrated TV.

* Every current Samsung DLP HDTV is Digital Cable Ready and 6 of 9 Samsung Plasmas are DCR. 3 of 5 Samsung LCD TVs with ATSC are DCR.

So, Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD is now in the majority of integrated HDTVs.

Back to the topic of "free boxes" and STB fees. The only reason I tolerate the $5/mo reciever fee from D* is that their basic monthly is low enough that it's still cheaper than cable. I hated the STBs from Comcast. Mostly because of the terrible IR receiver on the DCT2000 that missed Tivo channel changes. Obviously a 3412 would not have that kind of problem, but I won't go back to Comcast until and unless they have Tivo software on their boxes and the total monthly costs (including STB & DVR fees) are competitive with DirecTV. I currently have 2 SD-DirecTivos and record HD OTA on my HTPC.

- Mike

Mike,

Were these CC 1 or CC 2 compliant Cable Card Slots?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has the introduction of the 3412 made transfer of DVR recordings to PC any easier? I was successful with the 6412 transfering recordings to the PC using the 'How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP thread' as a guide. Pls tell me the 3412 has made it easier?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenan /forum/post/0

Has the introduction of the 3412 made transfer of DVR recordings to PC any easier? I was successful with the 6412 transfering recordings to the PC using the 'How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP thread' as a guide. Pls tell me the 3412 has made it easier?

Nope. no change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of the concerns being brought up here have already been addressed by the FCC, or are in the process of formulating a solution. But as with all change, there will be a large number of unhappy people no matter what the outcome. Here is my understanding of the future of TV and thought on TV manufactures.

The senate recently passed a bill that set the hard date for the return of Analog channels to April, 9, 2009. This same bill sets aside money raised by the auction of the spectrum channels to subsidize every household that still has an analog TV. Article What is not said is that the subsidy is for one converter per household only and I have not yet determined if the subsidy is for a free converter or to reduce the cost. My thought is that it is for a free converter as most articles I've read seen to think that the simple converter will only be between 15 and 30 dollars.

In addition to the above, it is my understanding that after the cut off date, TV service providers must provide cableCards free of monthly charges, but they are allowed to charge a nominal one-time fee to recover the cost of the card which is considered to be disposable. This is apparently a throwback to the law that states a cable company can not charge you for each TV in your house. However, the companies currently get around this by offering STBs for which they can charge for the enhanced service. There is also some loophole for the cable company connecting an outlet, but they cannot charge you for each outlet if you connect it yourself.

As for the ATSC turner mandate, this is actually a lost opportunity by the TV manufactures. The law actually says that that if the TV includes a tuner, that it must carry an ATSC tuner (currently based on TV size), and I believe in the near future, that all TVs must carry an ATSC tuner and may not carry an analog tuner. However, this is only if the TV has a tuner. I believe this is a lost opportunity because TVs should be dumb and nothing more than a display device like your PC monitor (which is a TV). There was once a push for monitors back in the early eighties but it never caught on because nobody was buying the few STBs of the time like the multivison tuners. However, now is the perfect time to resurrect the concept. If TV manufacturers were to make the monitors capable of plugging in a device, they can make all kinds of different devices at different prices levels. The consumer would be able to get the items they want and upgrade as technology changes, which it will due quickly during the next decade. I guess they are worried that too many people will use leased devices and not purchase their STBs. But if the manufacturer makes the device so that it is hidden or better integrated, then maybe the public will purchase their devices instead. Also, since the cost of the monitor is lower to manufacture, then they be get better market share.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got my Comcast 3412 and I've noticed two problems... It has shut off twice, I think when it stops recording a show. Is that a setting or is something wrong with it?

When I turn it on (with a Harmony remote) it starts up with the volume muted.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:

That's the same thing as saying the first digital cable box is included in the "digital cable" fee of $9.95. I still say that a CableCARD should rent for less than a full STB, even a SD one, but I'm sure that's not the case. I would bet the rental is the same as an STB at almost all Comcast franchises.

You are correct.

In this area, Digital STBs are available alone for a la carte premiums, and cost $5.05 with remote.

So, when Digital packages and A/Os include those, they simply are not itemizing them, they are not free.

With a base Digital package of $9.95, the STB OR CableCard is $5.05, and the programming is $4.90.

With the A/O being $6.95, again, the STB OR CableCard is $5.05, and mirroring is $1.90.

A CC at $5.05 is too much, but other MSOs are more or less $.

My opinion is that the FCC should force MSOs to itemize STBs and programming.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle /forum/post/0

Leave it on.

I'm trying to leave it on to avoid problem 1, that's when I hit problem 2...

Anyone know why it might be shutting down when it stops recording?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfcok /forum/post/0

I'm trying to leave it on to avoid problem 1, that's when I hit problem 2...

Anyone know why it might be shutting down when it stops recording?

I've heard (for the 6412) that if you turn it off and it turns itself on to record, then it will turn itself off after it finishes recording. If you don't turn it off it not only shouldn't shut itself off after recording, but it also shouldn't be muted when you turn it on yourself, since you won't be doing that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very new to the whole digital cable, HDTV thing and have just started

looking into the components needed to create a "home theater".

The starting point was the type of display - I decided to go with a projector

because of space limitations - I am leaning towards the Sony PLV-Z3 Projector.

The projector supports the following:

Broadcast Format Supported: 1035i, 1080i (HDTV), 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 576p, 720p (HDTV)

Interface Type: HDMI, Serial RS-232C - 8 PIN mini-DIN, Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA), Video - 4 pin mini-DIN (S-Video), Video - Component, Video - RCA Composite.

Is the DCT3412 box a good match for this projector - allowing me to take advantage of HIDEF?

What about the audio ? Any special considerations when selecting a home theater system?

Will a PS2 work with this box if not can adapters be purchased to allow the PS 2 to work with the DCT3412?

What options are available that would allow you to burn recorded media to a dvd?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have just gotten a DCT3412, does anyone know of ANY software I might use to download recorded shows to my computer? The tech said the ports(firewire, usb etc.) were active, is this true?

thanks, sorry if i'm in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rconnjr, i'm in the same boat-i just had my 6208 swapped out for the 3412 and i can't find any firewire drivers that work with it. I'm almost ready to see if they'll swap me back because recording shows to my pc is essential. wareagle-you gave us a link to the 6412-they don't work with the 3412-can anybody help?!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i guess it's a different enough model for the drivers not to work....i worked fine with the same drivers on my 6208. the driver seems to take but when i launch capdvhs or vlc it no longer sees any connected device......i'm so pissed that i had them swap it out because besides the dual tuner and bigger hard drive(6208 has 1 tuner and only an 80g drive) sending stuff to my pc is all that matters...

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok -it seems i finally got it to work using the 6412 driver-the only thing now is i can't record fox or cbs-i'm thinking it's something to do with that they are both 720p-might be a cable box output setting-has anyone ever tried to record to a pc using the componet outputs and component card for the pc? i'm wondering if using that method would allow me to record all of the premium channels that are flagged not to record-right now only cimemax will let you record

61 - 80 of 6229 Posts