Love:

- seamless dual tuner recording, no more scheduling conflicts

- HDTV recording / playback , perfect quality picture and sound

- pause / rewind live HDTV broadcast

- 2 weeks of guide

Hate:

- disk is too small for HDTV, only ~10 hours of HDTV recording

- only 15 minutes of HDTV pause time because of small disk

- no graphics overlay when in HDTV mode. I use modulator to send A/V to rest of the house, but can't use 6412 when on HDTV channel because there is no graphics overlay in 1080i mode on A/V outputs.

- VOD doesn't work most of the time. This is probably not 6412 issue, but Comcast problem on their VOD server, need to call and complain.

Overall, I'm happy with 6412, just need to find a way to increase capacity. I wish NBC would broadcast more shows in real HDTV like CBS does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just had by 6208 box switched out for the 6412. While doing the swap, the installer was doing some work on the lines in the back of the house. He replaced a section of cable and removed an ADCAM (I think) filter/trap on the back of the house.

Now, the picture looks grainy or noisy. I don't think that it is the box, because the picture looks grainy on the other TVs and the main TV from the cable split directly to the main TV as well.

I also had the box spontaneously reboot last night, which I read was likely due to too much or too little signal strength. My question, then, is there a way to determine the signal strength the box is receiving.

What should I get if the signal is too low or too high? I'd call Comcast to bring that filter back, but I don't want to have to take another day off of work if I can fix it myself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by stoli412

The incompleteness of the guide data causes problems with series recordings. I've set up series recordings for shows like Lost, Desperate housewives, and Arrested development as "first-run only" and they're working as expected, probably because these shows aren't syndicated or repeated to death. However, I've also set up series recordings for shows like The Simpsons, Malcolm in the middle, King of the hill, and Trading spaces. All are set to "first-run only" but since these shows run multiple times per week in syndication, the box is still recording them. Some of these syndicated episodes record, some don't. To me, that indicates incomplete guide data or sporadic use of the "repeat" flag in the guide data.

Just curious: has anybody else experienced this problem yet? I can't imagine I'm the only one! IMO, this problem seriously limits the usefulness of the series recording feature and needs to be fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The same thing happens with Tivo, at least in the DirecTivo version I have. Simpsons is a prime example. If I want to record just new Sunday night episodes and do a season pass for first run only, it'll go and grab everything because syndication doesn't get listed properly.

What I believe you need to do, mind you I haven't seen a 6412 setup yet or the new iguide, is to set it to record JUST a particular station so that'll cut it down some. But it's fox, so fox runs it a few times a day. Your best bet is to set a manual recording and just eyeballing Sunday nights once in awhile to make sure there are no changes to the schedule.

Simpsons was one of the shows with Tivo that was just sucky to try and record, much like the Daily Show on Comedy Central. Both got manual recording setups.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a dual-tuner DirecTivo, and I rarely encounter this problem. Once in a while (maybe once or twice a month) the Tivo gets confused with syndicated episodes of The Simpsons or South Park, for example. However, the 6412 seems to be habitually confused with ANY show that has new episodes and syndicated/repeat episodes on the same channel (Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, King of the Hill, South Park, and Trading Spaces are prime examples).

On Tivo, I'd say the guide data regarding syndicated episodes is correct 90-95% of the time. On i-Guide/6412, I'd say it's correct 10-20% of the time.

This is not only an inconvenience, but an issue of recording space. First, most of my series I have set up to save only one or two episodes because of the small hard drive. So, for example, if it records the "new" episode of The Simpsons on Sunday, and then records the three syndicated episodes on Monday, the new episode gets deleted before I can even watch it! Second, I record Malcolm in the Middle on the Fox digital channel since I have an HDTV and the show is in widescreen (filmed 480p, broadcast 720p). That takes a lot of space itself. So, if the 6412 also records all the syndicated MITM episodes (which are 4x3 but still broadcast at 720p) on the Fox digital channel, then it takes up a LOT of space and still deletes the "new" episode before I get a chance to watch it.

The only work around is to go through the scheduled recordings list and delete all the syndicated episodes. This is time-consuming and inefficient. And, what if the show is on a special night and/or time, and I don't know about it when going through the list? If I assume it's a syndicated episode and cancel the recording, then I miss a new episode.

I don't think the problem is with the i-Guide itself; I think it's the guide data. Comcast or Gemstar/Tribune (the two main sources of guide data) needs to pass ALL of it to the box. Tivo gets its guide data from Gemstar/Tribune (I can't remember which), they don't add in new/repeat flags or anything else, and it works 90-95% of the time. So obviously the new/repeat data is almost always provided, just someone or something isn't passing all of it through to the software on the 6412.

The 6412 with i-Guide has the potential to be as good as or better than Tivo, but only if the guide data is complete! Garbage in, garbage out! (Can you tell I'm frustrated?)

·
Registered
911 Posts

Quote:
So, for example, if it records the "new" episode of The Simpsons on Sunday, and then records the three syndicated episodes on Monday, the new episode gets deleted before I can even watch it!

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Why does it get deleted? Is there no longer a setting to keep the show until you delete it?

I have this feature on my 6208 with the blue guide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reading forums over the weekend about the 6412 availability in the Dallas area, I called Comcast this morning around 9AM to order my DVR. As luck would have it, they had an opening today, and the box was installed by 11:30!

Talk about your perfect timing!

I've been a ReplayTV user for three years now, and went through major withdrawals earlier this year when I upgraded to HDTV and had to move my ReplayTV to the bedroom.

I only had a few minutes to play before going back to work, but I noticed that the programming guide stopped at 6PM tonight. All of the program listings after that time were listed as 'To Be Announced...'. Hopefully, the full two week guide will be downloaded by the time I get home this evening.

Is this delay in the programming guide consistent with new installs?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyA
Is this delay in the programming guide consistent with new installs?

Yes. It takes time for the data to load. The same thing will happen if you unplug your box. The data will be lost and it will take some time for it to re-load.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by markjrenna
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Why does it get deleted? Is there no longer a setting to keep the show until you delete it?

I have this feature on my 6208 with the blue guide.

It gets deleted because I have the series set to keep only 2 or 3 episodes (due to space constraints). So unless I go into the specific "new" episode and tell it to save until I delete, it will get deleted to make room for the offending syndicated episodes. It's just too much of a hassle to have to remember all of this stuff. I certainly could do it, but I shouldn't have to. The box should do it.

Plus, what about the less technically savvy members of my household? I'm supposed to tell them to remember to do all this when they're used to Tivo doing it for them? All Comcast has to do is fix the guide data...that seems like a much more reasonable solution than making me jump through all kinds of hoops to do what the box is supposed to do by itself. After all, the feature is called "first-run only." That's what it says, that's what it should do.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Stoli, how do you do 60x fast forward? Four button presses only gets me approx 20x.

With the 30sec skip, this thing is pretty usable now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not sure it's 60x. But it didn't seem to take very long to fast forward through an hour at the fastest speed, even on an HD program.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Merged two posts (#20 and #21) mistakenly posted on the Comcast 6412 / MSTV FE thread.

This thread is for discussing the features, bugs, issues, likes, dislikes, etc. of the 6412 using iGuide on Comcast.

The Comcast 6412 / MSTV FE thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=467203 ) is for those in the State of Washington, where MSTV FE will be used instead of iGuide on the 6412.

And if your post has to do with rollout of the 6412 in your area (or any area), it belongs in the "Comcast 6412 Rollout" thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=455705

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Just curious: has anybody else experienced this problem yet? I can't imagine I'm the only one! IMO, this problem seriously limits the usefulness of the series recording feature and needs to be fixed ASAP.

The problem of a show now being labeled as a repeat is either caused by TVGuide or the programmers that provide the data to TVGuide. I am sure it will improve as time goes on.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This thread is now "stuck." Everybody think it is worthy of "stickiness"?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that when the box turns itself on to record something it goes in some mute mode that you can not get out of? which makes the box useless unless you cancel your recording

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that when the box turns itself on to record something it goes in some mute mode that you can not get out of? which makes the box useless unless you cancel your recording

Good, i am not alone.....LOL.

Mute only wakes on scheduled recording and you can't turn darn mute off. This is definately a bug.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by zeroendless
Good, i am not alone.....LOL.

Mute only wakes on scheduled recording and you can't turn darn mute off. This is definately a bug.

I programmed the code 141 to an unused button my JP1 remote. This is the code for MUTE on the 6412. This way I am able to "un-mute" the box until they fix this bug.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is great now if i could figure out to put that code along with the swap button code in my harmony remote we would be ready for bussiness

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could program it to the remote that came with the DVR. At least it's a temporary solution to the MUTE problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK, the box rebooted again last night. Which is twice in two days. Each time it rebooted, I swapped between the two tuners.

I went in and looked at some of the diagnostics based on this website:
http://cjhengineering.com/hdtv/cablehdtv/dctdiag.htm

My SNR (signal to noise ratio) is consistently at around 20-25dB, which was classified as 'good' or 'fair'. My AGC (automatic gain control) is at around 75% which was classified as 'fair'.

For Monday Night Football, the correctable 5 second error couns were in the 2500 - 3500 range which seems like a LOT of errors for a 5 second sampling.

It would seem that my signal is too low (or there is too much noise). Will a signal booster help this out?

21 - 40 of 10358 Posts