AVS Forum banner

10341 - 10358 of 10358 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

I just got a Panasonic 58PZ800U, and I'm using it with a Motorola 6412 (III), Comcast, via HDMI.

When setting 720p in the 6412 menu, everything is fine. However, when I set it to 1080i, there is some weird issue on the left side of the screen. It's like as if there is a strip going down the left side that is not alligned with the rest of the picture. It's very hard to explain. Sort of looking like through beveled glass. I tried another hdmi cable, same thing; so that's not the problem.

The strange thing is that this problem is not present when using component instead of hdmi (both in 720p and 1080i mode).

By the way, I initially had the green line problem on the right size, but that was solved by setting the comcast box to RGB.

The problem (like the green line problem) can go away if I use an HD zoom feature on my tv, but I want to avoid doing that.

Have any of you run into this problem before? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Its a bug in the current firmware edition. There is no fix. And its been like that for months and months.

These boxes and the software for them are a piece of junk. And we should not be forced to run overscan to hide flaws introduced into the image by the cable box. Before the software update there were no issues... And the OTA signal is clear, so its not a feed issue.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masta12345 /forum/post/15880481

Hi all,

I just got a Panasonic 58PZ800U, and I'm using it with a Motorola 6412 (III), Comcast, via HDMI.

When setting 720p in the 6412 menu, everything is fine. However, when I set it to 1080i, there is some weird issue on the left side of the screen. It's like as if there is a strip going down the left side that is not alligned with the rest of the picture. It's very hard to explain. Sort of looking like through beveled glass. I tried another hdmi cable, same thing; so that's not the problem.

The strange thing is that this problem is not present when using component instead of hdmi (both in 720p and 1080i mode).

By the way, I initially had the green line problem on the right size, but that was solved by setting the comcast box to RGB.

The problem (like the green line problem) can go away if I use an HD zoom feature on my tv, but I want to avoid doing that.

Have any of you run into this problem before? Any thoughts?

Search on something like "green bar" or "over scanning". You might also check the forum for your TV as well. I haven't paid much attention because I've never had the problem, but as I recall it has to do with how much over scanning (or not) your TV is set for.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
force your tv display mode to 16x9, this will solve the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've been having a problem with my Comcast Motorola 6412 DVR.

When I go to watch a recorded program, and select it from the DVR menu and select play, the DVR shuts off completely. Then I have to manually turn it on. The problem is that it reboots completely and takes a good 3 to 5 minutes. This is very annoying, because if it happens while something is recording, it will interrupt the recording and it will not start recording again until the reboot is complete.

Normally, this would not be a problem, and I would just swap it out for a new one. The issue is that I have every episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse recorded for my 4 year old on it and I don't want to deal with that heartbreak right now. I will if I have to, but would rather avoid it, if possible.

I should add that this problem did not start until I switched over to an HDMI input into my new LCD HDTV. Before it was RCA jacked into a tube tv. I don't know if this is related or not.

Anybody know of anything I could do to fix the issue short of swapping out boxes?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Do you have the DVR-STB power Cord plugged into a cheap power Strip that does not have power Conditioning ability? How many Outlets are connected to the same power circuit / Breaker? It sounds like the STB-DVR power source is not getting a constant voltage. These STB require Zero change in Voltage, otherwise it can cause them to reboot.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa /forum/post/15953087

Do you have the DVR-STB power Cord plugged into a cheap power Strip that does not have power Conditioning ability? How many Outlets are connected to the same power circuit / Breaker? It sounds like the STB-DVR power source is not getting a constant voltage. These STB require Zero change in Voltage, otherwise it can cause them to reboot.

What exactly does power conditioning mean?

It is plugged in to a cheapo power strip, along with the TV and a DVD/VCR combo. But, wouldn't that cause it to pretty much happen all the time, not just some of the time? Also, would the amount of filled space on the hard drive affect this at all? I have roughly 80% of it full.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlmor /forum/post/15951882

Hello everyone,

I've been having a problem with my Comcast Motorola 6412 DVR.

When I go to watch a recorded program, and select it from the DVR menu and select play, the DVR shuts off completely. Then I have to manually turn it on. The problem is that it reboots completely and takes a good 3 to 5 minutes. This is very annoying, because if it happens while something is recording, it will interrupt the recording and it will not start recording again until the reboot is complete.

Normally, this would not be a problem, and I would just swap it out for a new one. The issue is that I have every episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse recorded for my 4 year old on it and I don't want to deal with that heartbreak right now. I will if I have to, but would rather avoid it, if possible.

I should add that this problem did not start until I switched over to an HDMI input into my new LCD HDTV. Before it was RCA jacked into a tube tv. I don't know if this is related or not.

Anybody know of anything I could do to fix the issue short of swapping out boxes?

Why not try using component cables instead of the HDMI and see if it goes away. If it does go through the HDMI process. If it doesn't ask for a new box.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
With that new info you added about the HDMI, then yes, it is a handshake issue and one of the devices or the cable is having issues maintaing a connection. Try another cable or go back to Component.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I have a port on my 6412. Before ordering a cable fom Monopice, wanted to know if it is enabled. Comcast has a habit of disabling some Moto features.

Thanx.

...mike

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely /forum/post/16137500

I have a port on my 6412. Before ordering a cable fom Monopice, wanted to know if it is enabled. Comcast has a habit of disabling some Moto features.

Thanx.

...mike

Optical Audio works.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Question on Motorola DVR (6412) reset:

Hi-

I have been having some issues with my DVR that make me think that a HDD reset would help (or, at least, not make things any worse). I haven't done this since 2006 and when I tried what I had written down, it failed to work. This is the procedure I have:

Power off

Hit OK/Select quickly

Hit "replay"

Hit MyDVR 3 times.

Hit Live

"Clr" should now be in LED display

Press OK/Select to cause reboot

I get into the Service Menu with the first two lines, but nothing after that gets me to the "Clr" prompt. A quick check of Wikipedia shows that the instructions there are slightly different, with 2 presses of "replay" and 2 presses of "Live" being necessary. I tried that as well, but still no luck.

So, has anyone here successfully reset their 6412 unit recently, and what command sequence did you use?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg  /t/464986/official-comcast-6412-w-iguide-discussion/10350#post_22457062

I have been having some issues with my DVR that make me think that a HDD reset would help (or, at least, not make things any worse). I haven't done this since 2006 and when I tried what I had written down, it failed to work.

It's possible that software pushed to the DVR changed or disabled the reset sequence. The 6412 is now a pretty old machine. I don't have one any more, so I can't check for you. Assuming you're renting it from Comcast, the simplest solution is probably to exchange it for a newer DVR. Take the 6412 down to your local Comcast retail location (probably Sunnyvale for you) and they will replace it with a later model with a bigger disk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Quote:

Originally Posted by abg

I have been having some issues with my DVR that make me think that a HDD reset would help (or, at least, not make things any worse). I haven't done this since 2006 and when I tried what I had written down, it failed to work.

It's possible that software pushed to the DVR changed or disabled the reset sequence. The 6412 is now a pretty old machine. I don't have one any more, so I can't check for you. Assuming you're renting it from Comcast, the simplest solution is probably to exchange it for a newer DVR. Take the 6412 down to your local Comcast retail location (probably Sunnyvale for you) and they will replace it with a later model with a bigger disk.

"

Yeah, it's making all kinds of awful hard drive noises at the moment and freezing constantly during playback.

Is there still a Comcast storefront in Sunnyvale? The last time I went to one last spring for a new remote I had to go to Foster City.

Thanks,

ABG

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg  /t/464986/official-comcast-6412-w-iguide-discussion/10350#post_22462107

Is there still a Comcast storefront in Sunnyvale? The last time I went to one last spring for a new remote I had to go to Foster City.

Yes, it's on El Camino near Wolfe in the same strip mall as Erik's DeliCafe and Relax The Back. So you can get a sandwich and a butt cushion in the same trip.

10341 - 10358 of 10358 Posts