AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I just started a new one, to keep from mixing in everything with KD's new ECP4100 thread.

For those who may not have read that thread, I was fortunate to acquire two ECP4100's from my company, that were sitting unused in a former operations/monitoring center. They were free, and I actually am supposed to be "seeing if they will work" right now, and also am supposed to help them set up the 3rd ECP 4101 that I didn't grab, after they move their office to another floor. In that respect, I think I have already learned enough in the last two days to determine if it works or not, and possibly even set it up okay.

There are two ecp 4100's sitting in my living room right now.

PJ 1 - has a sticker that says "blue gun disconnected, do not power up"

Sure enough, after popping the cover, it does!! Peering into the front of the lens on this one, the blue crt is a milky white, you can't even see a blue tint, like you should. I guess this one imploded, blew, died, whatever. Let's call this one the parts machine from now on.

PJ2 - No stickers, so I put it on a cart, and turned it on. Pretty excited at this point, no pops, no smoke, I heard the little tingle when the CRT's fire up, and I hit #, and actually got a menu. I started playing with the convergence, and here's the first problem, I see a green and red grid, but the blue grid is very dim, and soon pretty much disappears, except for kind of a blue glow. Now, looking into the lenses from the front, blue is much dimmer that the other two, but it does have the grid showing. When I turn it off, and use the light to look at it, there is a distinct map of the US, with I guess was our routes or circuits connecting various cities, pretty badly burned in, especially the blue, and some on the red, the green tube looks great, to me anyway. There is another thread going with Curt's windows desktop burnin, the map is not quite that distinct, but if I ever get a picture, this blue one is a candidate for that thread! The red gun in this one has a dirty looking film over it, but I do not know enough yet to know if this is the dreaded fungus, or the front of the CRT or lenses might just be dirty! That;s actually what it looks like to me, its floating in front of the actual CRT, not in it.

So, I know I am going to need at least one blue tube, possibly red and blue, and if I wanted to do this right, all three. So no instant gratification this weekend! BTW,the parts pj has SD187's, and pj2 has the 07ms's, so I don't think I can swap neck boards, but you probably can, you just won't get as good focus.

I have been doing searches and capturing little notes to myself. I just wanted to ask my burning question, before I put these away until I start researching tubes. I do not see the blue grid on the convergence screen, but when I turn the drive pots all the way up on each of the guns, the blue glow that is projected is just about as bright as the other two. It seems almost like focus to me, but I have twisted the lens fully in both directions, and the pot on the focus board too, and can't get no lines. I went ahead and have swapped the Focus board, the CRT neck board, and all the PC boards from the other projector, of course no help. Is there another drive or gain adjustment besides the small one on the focus board (the one most people seem to refer to as G2 adj. ?) Any other tips or suggestions for turning a blue glow into blue convergence grid lines? I would just like to exhaust all possibilities today, because this afternoon, I am going to have to put them back together and get them out of the living room, and start pricing tubes! I would love to see some kind of picture on it, even if it has a US map superimposed, before I put them in storage for a few weeks!!

Thanks for y'all's help

·
Registered
459 Posts
You may want to ask VDC how much they want to rebuild your blue...

But I've got an extra blue 187 that I've been hoarding with no wear. I'd be willing to give it up for 200 dollars. I realize it's not cheap, but I'd rather keep it for myself (blue tends to wear out first) if I can't get good money for it. Let me know if you want it...

Sean

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The Sony tubes are not rebuildable. Check and see if the cut-off switch for the blue is in the off position. The cut-off switches are located over the green tube along with three focus pots. All three switches should be flipped in the same direction. Please don't start turning knobs or pots to see what they do until you understand what they are for. 95% of the adjustments need to be done with expensive equipment. There is alot of information on ECP's kicking around this forum, most can be found buy doing a search. If you have an ECP with a problem you will find the answer here,just be patient.

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
07ms and SD187 are interchangeable. There is a yoke mod and a focus resistor mod needed. They have been covered here with pictures even. I know...I started the thread :) The 07ms would be more desirable as it has a tighter focus and a bit brighter picture. The only way to know if it is fungus or burn is to remove the lenses and see. It will be obvious if it is fungus. The cleaning procedure was also covered by KBK in here. $200 is a good price for a blue tube. New from a Sony dealer they're $600 or more. . Chip is right that turning knobs and pots without any idea what they do is a bad idea and that these tubes are not rebuildable by anyone at this point.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll stop turning pots! But the only ones I was turning was the two on the focus board, the electrical focus and the one that is for gain/drive, and I always put them back where they were. I figure I will need to do a complete calibration on this anyway someday, after I learn a lot more about it! It wasn't even close when I got it fired up, and I have also done a hard reset already.

FYI, the blue gun is on, I checked those switches on the focus board too.

Man, $200 does sound like a great price, I just cannot jump on it right now, I have too many expenses right now, but I will see what I can do!

Now, here is more or less what is happening. When I first turn on the machine after its been sitting, say overnight, I can go into convergence, and see green, red, and blue grid lines. The blue lines are less focused that the others, but they are there . I lined up the red and blue mechanically by loosening the allens and moving the assembly, and then touched it up with the coarse convergence (the first one where the box is in the middle). Its about this time that blue starts fading, from somewhat distinct lines, to just a blue glow over the whole screen.

Does this sound like a bad focus resistor possibly. I swapped neck boards with one from the parts machine, but haven't really tried a second, or even better would be to swap say the green and blue ones, green gun is kicking ass in this one, and red seems "ok"! In fact, I have watched part of Swordfish with no blue!! FWIW, the neck boards from the parts machine, which has SD187's, has the same resistors as far as I can tell, one says 4700 IN, and the other says 5600 IN, I need to measure them too.

Thanks for everybody's help, you are right, everything about these beasts is in the old posts! This is actually kind of fun, or course it should be, or it wouldn't be worth it!

I am not a television/video tech, but I am an electronics tech, its been years since I worked on actual components, since the days of board swapping began!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.