AVS Forum banner

6241 - 6255 of 6255 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I am trying to sell my RS20i and someone asked me this question: "I was informed this could be upgraded to 24 channels with a 8 channel card?". Can the RS 20i be upgraded to 24 channels?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am trying to sell my RS20i and someone asked me this question: "I was informed this could be upgraded to 24 channels with a 8 channel card?". Can the RS 20i be upgraded to 24 channels?
Sort of. The 8 channel expansion board adds an additional 8 output channels, for a total of 24. These additional channels could be used for supporting multiple subwoofers, arrayed surrounds, or bi- or tri-amping the mains.

Please note however that the RS20i still has only 16 channels of processing for Atmos or DTS:X purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
That is not the cable (it has M&F xlr out). ProaudioLA can create DB25-XLR out (or RCA) dig out cable for ~$150. You need to send DB-25 Dig Out schematic to them (available from manual online).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just gotta ask if anyone has any info at all about the state of Datasat. I’ve not seen any activity at all from them or any real discussion in a very long time. Are they still selling units? Has ATI decided to shelve the product and just focus on their other brands?

While I love the performance of my rs20 i feel as though I’ve bet on the wrong horse relative to buying into a thriving product. I don’t keep up with Trinov but it seems as though they’re much more active and alive as a product/company.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hey Jazz,
I was actually wondering the same thing recently. I have spoken with some people I know in the industry and in a nutshell the current RS20i has gone as far with Dirac as it can. The new bass module requires newer more powerful dsp boards and I don't know if that will be something that can be retrofitted vs a whole new architecture. To be honest, I'm still in awe at the capability of the RS20 and although I also feel like I bet on the wrong horse in terms of popularity I sure don't regret buying it for performance. If it does die then I would consider something like the new Storm prepro. I'm not sure I want to spend the "big bucks" on another prepro and it's not that I can't "afford" it but just don't see it as something I want to spend again. When I owned my Trinnov (ST2hifi for 5-6 years) I didn't think that Trinnov would be a "household" name (at least on the 20k forums) and man was I wrong, lol.

Reactions: jazzrock

·
Registered
751 Posts
The RS20i can have its DSP replaced relatively easy (as per the Atmos board upgrade) but other aspects may be restricting it? It appears that this platform has run its race and no further development of it will occur. Still I will continue to enjoy mine for some time yet.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I understood it was a dsp horsepower thing (for using Dirac bass modules). I had heard that there was going to be a future updated version of the RS20 which would have the dsp power to do Dirac with bass module but to be honest, in this day and age I doubt it makes sense to design a new unit from scratch. Perhaps it will just be a board swap...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Even if the current rs20 is at the end of its life expectancy a viable company would certainly have had a replacement by now. At least I would expect so. They’ve shown no signs of life at all. That is disappointing.

I bought my unit 3 years ago and even then, the guy from Datasat ( one of the Mikes) who did my calibration said a replacement was being developed. Then ATI stepped in and other than one or two updates there’s been nothing.

I don’t necessarily want to spend that kind of money again to upgrade either. But it would be good to know “your brand” was still moving forward. Maybe even providing some possible upgrades. I’d like to have the eventual option of adding additional channels as an example.

With all of that said, I continue to be impressed and entertained several times each week!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
^^^^ pretty much sums it up for me too, lol.
After ATI took over I wasn't sure if they would keep both Datasat and Theta alive but so far they have.
I won't need any more speakers than I have in the current room (7.x.4) but if and when I construct another dedicated room it would be nice to have the option of more speakers. First world problems, lol.😆

Reactions: jazzrock

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
In response to my for sale ad of the RS20, someone asked if if I could help him buy extra DB25 to XLR break out cable. He says he ordered 3 sets so far and they did not work. He is asking for a part number but there is no part number on the cable. Can someone point out to such a cable, if available on amazon or anyplace else? I am just trying to help him out.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
See answer #6245 from Kishore - ProAudio LA.

Download the manual of the RS20i and you find in the appendixes the cable layouts.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
^^^^ pretty much sums it up for me too, lol.
After ATI took over I wasn't sure if they would keep both Datasat and Theta alive but so far they have.
I won't need any more speakers than I have in the current room (7.x.4) but if and when I construct another dedicated room it would be nice to have the option of more speakers. First world problems, lol.😆
Quite a few of the Datasat dealers in the UK have gone quiet and no longer promote the Datasat (I suppose it is a tough sell at this point). Would be nice to see Datasat reinvigorate/reanimated but at this point the original dealer support is disappearing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quite a few of the Datasat dealers in the UK have gone quiet and no longer promote the Datasat (I suppose it is a tough sell at this point). Would be nice to see Datasat reinvigorate/reanimated but at this point the original dealer support is disappearing.
It is beyond anyone's understanding. But seeing not major movement even in the Casablanca section, one can assume there must be something big rolled up in the ATI's sleeves. Who knows what or when if true.

6241 - 6255 of 6255 Posts