AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 2067 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations (as big as the sub itself) to James and “perhaps” double congratulations to asoofi1! The Mariana was one of the highlights to this years audio show in Irvine for me and my son. The Mariana is one impressive piece of audio equipment :eek:.

Thanks @dsrussell, to be honest your opinion on the sub is one I was looking forward to since I respect your thoughts in AVS a lot so I was glad that you enjoyed it at the show and that it passed your music test.....

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
Noooo???? For real? Nearfield?
I'm just letting him borrow a pair of demo 24s until BrolicBeast is ready to try them in his room and prove they won't move his screen. And then I'll take them to use at the Capital Audiofest.

Actually, I should say at this point that I'm planning to go to Capital Audiofest but after receiving the contract, that is not a given. The contract states that I can get access to the room at 3:00 on Thursday, with the show opening on Friday. With the size exhibit and amount of equipment, I told them that wouldn't work and realistically I need access to the room on Wed. So hopefully they can get me in the room earlier.

Reactions: asoofi1

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I'm just letting him borrow a pair of demo 24s until BrolicBeast is ready to try them in his room and prove they won't move his screen. And then I'll take them to use at the Capital Audiofest.

Actually, I should say at this point that I'm planning to go to Capital Audiofest but after receiving the contract, that is not a given. The contract states that I can get access to the room at 3:00 on Thursday, with the show opening on Friday. With the size exhibit and amount of equipment, I told them that wouldn't work and realistically I need access to the room on Wed. So hopefully they can get me in the room earlier.
I hope to get the invite to @asoofi1's to hear these bad boys in action. Would be cool to see how the stack up against his baby subs.:D

Hope the space works out for you...lots of AVS'rs in the area if you require assistance.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thanks @dsrussell, to be honest your opinion on the sub is one I was looking forward to since I respect your thoughts in AVS a lot so I was glad that you enjoyed it at the show and that it passed your music test.....
We will all want the details once the Mariana has arrived. Like: How the heck did you unpack it and move it (hope you bring friends)? What were your very first impressions on your first movie? And just as importantly, we all LOVE pictures of the uncloaking event. Enjoy! Oh, BTW, it was Mike Oldfield’s “Shabda” on “Music of the Spheres” that made several excellent subs run and hide, while the Mariana stated emphatically, “What’s the problem?” :).

Reactions: James Taylor 2

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
Would be cool to see how the stack up against his baby subs.:D
I am too but I think they'll just be different. My sealed subs will have more output and the OS's will have more output above 20 Hz. And they'll have a slightly different sound as well, at least that's how I felt after hearing Asim's OSs at his last GTG. Some will likely prefer the OSs and some will prefer my subs but both are great subs in my opinion. And you're the first person I think to ever refer to the mighty OS's as "baby" subs. :)

Hope the space works out for you...lots of AVS'rs in the area if you require assistance.
I'm not so much worried about setup, I'm worried about time to optimize the speakers and subs to the room, which takes considerable time. And I want the ability to have a full tilt walk through as well. Thursday morning would be pushing it, getting the room Thursday afternoon just wouldn't be conducive to full success...and I won't even try to do the show if that is the case. But thanks for the offer, it would be great to have a Thursday AVS GTG at the hotel to help setup and hang out.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
August 2016... Right before the launch the 2017 Jeep Trackhawk.
See no one ever talks about the V6 Camry, which is a nice car. It's always the HellCat or TrackHawk or something else similarly outlandish and crazy. And to think I've had people question my flagship speaker. See you get it. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey honey, I am buying a new freezer but I can't promise if it will not be as quite as our old one and if you hear it let me know, I will turn down the compressor but just don't come into the room where the freezer is at. Much appreciated:p.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If all this plays out, I think asoofi1 will be the first person on here using the shifters as "mid-bass modules" :) :)
haha...good one...it will be very interesting to hear...scratch that...feel...what I *may* be missing in the deep trenches below 20hz...I doubt I'll 'hear' much though in those frequencies...I kidd...I kidd ;)

I do expect nothing less than some very scary moments and tripped fuses :D

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,702 Posts
haha...good one...it will be very interesting to hear...scratch that...feel...what I *may* be missing in the deep trenches below 20hz...I doubt I'll 'hear' much though in those frequencies...I kidd...I kidd ;)

I can just picture it now...

Call Center: "State Farm claims center. How may I help you?"
Asim: "Yes, I need to file a claim."

Call Center: "I'm sorry to hear that sir. What is the problem?"
Asim: "My house has been leveled, it's now a pile of rubble."

Call Center: "What!? How on earth did THAT happen??"
Asim: "I cranked my HT up to reference level and was watching War Of Th..."

Call Center: "Wait, did you say there was a war?"
Asim: "No, I was watching War Of The Worlds."

Call Center: "A world war?!?"
Asim: "NO, it's a movie!"

Call Center: "A movie about war?"
Asim: "Sort of. That's not the point though, my house is destroyed and I need to file a claim."

Call Center: "Your house was leveled by a movie?"
Asim: "In a manner of speaking, yes."

Call Center: "So you're trying to tell me that your house was annihilated by a stereo system?"
Asim: "Yes!"

Call Center: "Is this some type of joke?"
Asim: "No! I was using JTR Orbit Shifters and Deep Sea Sound Mariana's, but when the Pod emerged all hell broke loose and my house crumbled to the ground!"

Call Center: "Orbit Shifters? Pod emerges? Have you been drinking sir?"
Asim: "No, this is real!"

Call Center: "Riiiight. I'm hanging up now. Don't call again!"
Asim: "But I'm not kidding! It really did... Hello? Hello??"

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can just picture it now...

Call Center: "State Farm claims center. How may I help you?"
Asim: "Yes, I need to file a claim."

Call Center: "I'm sorry to hear that sir. What is the problem?"
Asim: "My house has been leveled, it's now a pile of rubble."

Call Center: "What!? How on earth did THAT happen??"
Asim: "I cranked my HT up to reference level and was watching War Of Th..."

Call Center: "Wait, did you say there was a war?"
Asim: "No, I was watching War Of The Worlds."

Call Center: "A world war?!?"
Asim: "NO, it's a movie!"

Call Center: "A movie about war?"
Asim: "Sort of. That's not the point though, my house is destroyed and I need to file a claim."

Call Center: "Your house was leveled by a movie?"
Asim: "In a manner of speaking, yes."

Call Center: "So you're trying to tell me that your house was annihilated by a stereo system?"
Asim: "Yes!"

Call Center: "Is this some type of joke?"
Asim: "No! I was using JTR Orbit Shifters and Deep Sea Sound Mariana's, but when the Pod emerged all hell broke loose and my house crumbled to the ground!"

Call Center: "Orbit Shifters? Pod emerges? Have you been drinking sir?"
Asim: "No, this is real!"

Call Center: "Riiiight. I'm hanging up now. Don't call again!"
Asim: "But I'm not kidding! It really did... Hello? Hello??"
:D:D:Dhahahaha... I have not laughed like that in a veerry long time. That is absolutley nuts! Thanks for making my day

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,702 Posts
:D:D:Dhahahaha... I have not laughed like that in a veerry long time. That is absolutley nuts! Thanks for making my day
ur welcome. I just hope you didn't have a mouthful of coffee when you read it... :p

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
It'll be tricky to get your distances a set up right with the pathlength of the horn in the OS. Take your time and get someone over there to measure to make sure you get it all right :D The combo will be breathtaking.
I wouldn't recommend running them together, I'd expect the sealed and horn subs to sound pretty different.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

I know audio memory isn't very reliable, but I'm pretty sure you've experienced a few very capable sealed systems over the past year or so. This may help jog your memory somewhat though...

However, I will say that a near field 24" vs a 18" really is a significant difference.

441 - 460 of 2067 Posts