AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 9601 Posts

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Unless you are saying you use the switcher's remote instead of a universal remote that makes no sense to me. Besides since "they seem to be coming on everything" you'll soon be back where you started.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16593090

ah, don't mind Gary, caustic commentary is like breathing for him

True but I do not see your refutation.
Is that a word?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am now in the market for a receiver and through all of my research I have settled on Denon AVR-1910 and the Onkyo TX-SR607. I am leaning toward the Denon, but I am wondering if it has automatic format switching. In case I have misrepresented what that is, I basically want the receiver to switch from stereo to a surround format (Dolby, DTS) automatically when the receiver receives a surround sound signal. I hate watching HDTV channels and have to switch to DTS or Dolby to find out if there is a surround signal for that particular show or movie. I would rather the receiver recognize that it is receiving a surround signal from a show or movie and switch accordingly from stereo. On my current Yamaha, I have it on 5-Channel sound in the absence of a surround signal. Does anyone know if the Denon has this feature? The Denon manual refers to “Auto Flag Detect Mode” and an “Auto Surround Mode,” are either of these what I am looking for? Thank you for the help

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yes, what you are looking for is "Auto Surround Mode". If this is set to on, the Denon will memorize your preferences for surround mode decoding separately by input (in addition to various other settings).

So, for example, you can have it automatically default to PLII Music mode when receiving a 2-channel signal on the "CD" input, but have it go to PLII Cinema mode when receiving a 2-channel signal on the "TV" input.

Whenever it gets an actual 5.1 signal it will automatically default to "Dolby Digital" or "DTS".

See "Auto Surround Mode" on pg 29 of the AVR 1910 manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Batpig, you have saved me a lot of time and energy. Having to do it manually on my old Yamaha is frustrating. I think I will go with the Denon. Plus Denon has Dynamic Volume to keep the volume level which is another little feature I really wanted. Constantly changing the volume for each channel and even commercials is frustrating too. It's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FYI - not to sway your decision, but the Onkyo 607 should also have the same "auto surround" functionality and it also has Dynamic Volume. But of course I'm not going to say you shouldn't go Denon

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
As a current 605 owner, I'm not happy with Onkyo. Don't get me wrong, the sound quality is pretty nice for the price, but if you need something fixed via firmware, you need to send your freakin' unit away. They also have some quality control issues. You get a good one, you'll be happy, by from what I understand from people and have soon to find out for myself, Denon will be even better bang for the buck, while being more reliable as well.

·
Premium Member
88,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo76 /forum/post/16593312

The Denon manual refers to “Auto Flag Detect Mode” .....

This mode is used to detect a source that is either DD EX or DTS-ES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16593338

Whenever it gets an actual 5.1 signal it will automatically default to "Dolby Digital" or "DTS".

Dingo76 -

Keep in mind that as was reported in the 1909 thread, some HD TV stations are sending a 2.0 signal over a DD 5.1 broadcast which comes across on the Denon as DD 5.1 yet only 2 channels are actually received. In that case you'd have to manually switch to a DSP mode (e.g. 5 CH Stereo) to get audio from all speakers.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillguy2002 /forum/post/16595563

Anyone have their 1910 set up? Would to hear like first impressions.

Pros: build quality appears very high, Audyssey is amazing, Dynamic EQ in particular works like a charm, shallow chassis (

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemX /forum/post/16596854

Pros: build quality appears very high

No plastic front like the 1909?

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Wow, what a 'tude dude!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hows the upconversion/processing? Bet its pretty awesome considering it is vrs by anchor bay. (1030) Not the 2010, but I think it is the 2nd best vrs chip.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscar /forum/post/16580972

Many thanks to all of you, I've learned allot on this thread. Just wanted to share that one of the very few places listing the AVR-1610 is Electronics Expo. They're discounting it a whopping $1, but with free shipping and 20% off via code 'RECEIVERSALE', the net cost is $302.

This is going to go great with the Panny P50-G10 on the way from Vanns.

All this because my POS RCA rear projection can't display the 720p output from the $99 Roku box I bought last week.

C

Called today about the 1910 and was told to call back in two weeks when in stock and that they'd honor this price. Good deal. Looking forward to getting my Denon finally. Now I need to find a good deal on some speakers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
call them again. I was told they had 80 on the way and I know I am not the only one that was able to preorder. The only complicated piece is that they had to have a manager do something because they can't actually order it for you unless it shows up in stock. Whatever they did it worked for me.

Whit,

Your Pre Order is in and I'll be tracking it.

DENON AVR1910 $439.20

-Rich

Richard D. Hubbard

Sales Support Team

Electronics Expo LLC

70 DEMAREST DR

WAYNE NJ 07470

Tel. (888) 707-3976 ext 153
[email protected]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Man, I demoed the 1910 against the 3808ci tonight at Best Buy (Magnolia), and the 1910 stacks up really well. I think the 3808ci may sound a little better, but to my ears it wasn't night and day. I like some of the added features of the 3808ci, but I'm really on the fence as to whether it's worth twice the price to get the 3808ci. It seems like the 1910 is a really solid contender and a great value.

If anyone else has done a similar A/B between the 1910 and 3808, I'd certainly love opinions.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers /forum/post/16599486

If anyone else has done a similar A/B between the 1910 and 3808, I'd certainly love opinions.

I have the comparable 1909 and the 3808 and the MultEQ XT in the 3808 alone is worth the difference in a higher end setup. I like them both though.

·
Premium Member
88,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/16598372

Hows the upconversion/processing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillguy2002 /forum/post/16600087

Thanks. Any impressions on the video processor? SD channels look any better?

Difficult to compare without having the same SD source component and HDTV as many DVD players already upscale to 1080p as well as many HDTV's already upscale to 1080p too. If video quality is important, you'd be much better served upgrading to a HD cable/satellite box and then you not only get true 1080i/p video, but also introduce yet another source that can upscale SD channels to 1080i.

21 - 40 of 9601 Posts