AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search about this, and while I found the information useful, no one seemed to mention what brand VGA box they had. I'm looking for the Sega VGA Box, and can't find any where but ebay that carries it. I was just wondering if any VGA box would do, or seek the first party Sega ones that I see on ebay every now and then. I see two on there right now, and I'm thinking on putting a bid on one. I just hate using ebay (had bad expieriences with them), but if this is the best quality I can get, I'll go for the first party Sega box.

-Thank you for your time,

-KS

Edit-Fixed some typo's.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bought the Blaze DC vga adapter about 2 years ago from Electronics Boutique. I don't think they are available anymore. But if you can find one it works great. It was about $20.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had the DC VGA box for a couple years now--it's fantastic. I was surprised and dissapointed that none of the new consoles made it easy to output VGA like Sega did. Because the DC is capable of outputting a VGA signal, there is no conversion in signal involved with the VGA box. Therefore, any VGA box for DC will have the same quality output (unlike the ones for the newer systems). I have the official Sega one, which works fine for me, but some of the other brands have additional features like VGA pass-through.

-Graham

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
PQ is basically the same for all boxes - Official Sega Brand isn't necessary.

The big differentiators are the switching and pass through capabilities. People want easy ways to play the large number of discs with unofficial VGA support. All but a handful of titles will play in VGA mode, but many without official support do a check a startup and will give you grief if you are hooked up to VGA. You have to start the game without VGA and then switch once started.

If you are interested in specific brand names, do a Google search on alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast.

PS - Whether you dig around on eBay or find one in the discount bin at your local EB, get a VGA box! PQ can be simply amazing (Soul Caliber anyone?)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Stay away from the Performance box with the passthrough. The connection on the DC side was questionable, usually resulting in a purple tint to the picture unless you held the plug in at the right angle. I'd seen that problem with more than one, so basically, its trash compared to even the cheapest HK knockoff. The only real advantage to the official Sega box I had found is that the audio quality was slightly (but noticeably to me; I'm not golden ears, more like bronze at best) better (I'm guessing the materials and manufacturing quality was just better), though I'm not sure that justifies the insane prices some folks try to auction for. Actually the most reliable and easiest to use units I've had is an $8 HK knockoff that isn't a box at all. Its simply a cable with a DC plug on one end, a VGA female plug on the other and a small lump in the middle (its about a foot long) that has the hardware that signals the DC into VGA mode and a minijack for audio out (so more compatible with PC audio gear). Bought mine the day after the US DC launch and its still going strong. Generally, though, you should be able to get a box of one sort of another for less than $20, and they're all good. I've tried the ugly Naki boxes (not really box shapped), those weird looking Madness ones, something called "Treamcast" that basically came in a photocopied official DC box with a few strategically placed labels blotting out a few things, and even Dragoncast brand (HK brand; makes all sorts of gear for all sorts of platforms, even though the name sounds DC centric; just remember "it's FANTASTISC magic", or so their packaging claims).

YMMV, but I would almost guarantee that it won't. As long as you're getting a stable VGA signal from it, you're good to go :)

Kensai

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Shinji,

Please post from where you're getting it...I have the same need (actually, very odd that you posted this...I just pulled out my DC for the first time yesterday).

Rich

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have one that I forgot to send along when I sold my dreamcast. If anyone would be interested in purchasing it, please PM me what you would want to pay for it.

I don't remember what brand it is, but it has a clear grey case, switch selectable outputs for either VGA or composite/svideo. Also has either L/R sound outputs or headphone jack.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Shinji,

Thanks...I figured that's where you had in mind (I had just been there before I came across this thread...odd)

KRavEN, I'll PM you...

rich

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I've had trouble with the Naki box....It doesn't allow you to switch VGA/TV modes under power which is useful for non-supported VGA games and CD-R non-self-bootables.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I got the "Dragoncast", and I am getting no picture. Yes, I'm trying to play only games that support VGA mode (Marvel vs. Cacpom 2 and Skies of Arcadia). I get sound, but NO PICTURE! I try switching between VGA and Svideo mode on the box, and it is still not working. Any suggestions?

Edit- Oops. Seems to be a mode for CD-R VGA and DC VGA and SVid, and I had it on CD-R VGA. Didn't realize the real setting was the middle one. ^^;;;; Sorry about the hasty post.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the Performance VGA box and it worked very nice on my monitor. I didn't use the audio, I'd usually play my own mp3s on my computer. The passthrough feature was nice, allowing me to use my computer while playing my Dreamcast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.