AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been researching speaker placement for 5/7/9.1/2.2/4 setups, I of course came across the Dolby website's excellent (and easy to find) guides on their recommended speaker placement.

I also wanted to see what DTS and THX recommended, but couldn't really find much help on either of their official websites. Am I looking in the wrong place or simply missing something? Do DTS and THX not really suggest speaker placement that is any different than Dolby's suggestions?

I always thought each of them kind of had their own ideas as to what they think is optimal, but maybe that's not the case anymore?

Before I go through all the work of installing in-ceiling speakers placed just right for Atmos, I'd be interested in seeing what DTS recommends for DTS:X since that's right around the corner for HT! :D They haven't put those guides out yet I assume, right? Still, I find it odd I couldn't easily find their recommendations for existing 5/7/9.x.x formats.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
does this help any?
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...lbypliiz-dts-neo-xa-auro-3d.html#post22528318

[edit March-15-2014, added Auro-3D to title, as I'll be doing this in future..Dolby Atmos/DTS-UHD™ have not made clear their Home Theater strategy - yet]
I'm sure many here have built their Dedicated Home Theater to 7.1 (or 5.1) surround sound, did nice job pre-routing the speaker wire's in wall for integrated look, and lived with it for a few years.

And now with Audyssey DSX and its competition Dolby Pro Logic IIz / DTS Neo:X™ in the market for a few years, some of you are like me and considering "upgrade" time.

Audyssey visual:

This visual from my Denon 4520CI manual, makes it easier to grasp all the 7.1/9.1/11.1 speaker layout.

Here is the DTS Neo:X™ visual:

Here is the Auro-3D visual:
http://www.auro-3d.com/system/concept/
Quote: Top Layer : Situated directly above the listener. Enhances the realism of fly-over effects by creating a bridge with the Height Layer. This combination produces an enveloping sphere or 'cocoon of sound' around the listener.
Height Layer (40° above the Lower Layer): The most important layer in the creation of immersive sound AROUND the listener. The capturing of ambient reflections in this layer allows Auro-3D® to deliver a more natural sound & improve sound source localization.
Lower Layer (0°-20°): 2D horizontal plane where ear-level source sounds are located.

Home Theater (small rooms); Auro 10.1 (+ Top Ceiling / VOG)
Quote: 100% compatibility between all Auro-3D® listening formats have a Height Channel above and around the listener, which is crucial to a fully immersive experience.
This is unattainable with only a Top Layer.

Dolby Atmos layout info added:

Therefore this thread is for those that have already upgraded to Audyssey DSX or Dolby PL IIz / DTS Neo:X™, or plan to upgrade, and to post what they did or will do;
-decision methods used to determine which route to take; "wide" or "height" or both.
-hiding new un-planned speaker cables; I'm guessing most will not route thru walls rather try and hide them "creatively", so I'd like to see that
-hanging un-planned speakers; brackets used DIY vs already made ones
-While not focusing on the New AVR planning and buying phase, if also decision on Ext amp then location and integration of that into your already planned rack/media area
-Acoustic treatment considerations
-etc

and.....frank assessment of that...simply was it "worth it" :
-did the "experience" improve in your viewpoint, also your wife/sig/kids viewpoint

My HT, done in 2008, has 7.1 via Denon 4308CI, and now I'm shortly buying the new Denon 4520CI and going at least 9.1, possibly 11.1

There are threads on DSX and PL IIz / DTS Neo:X™ in the "Receivers, AMPs, and Processors forum" , so I don't want to duplicate those, rather add to them from the construction viewpoint then impressions captured also.
[edit 10/30/2012]
I'll be posting my DSX questions in the "Official" Audyssey thread, http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/57240#post_22539710
[edit 11/25/2012]
Denon 4520CI owners manual speaker layout visual added, info on DTS Neo:X added

[edit Nov-8-2013] added final room picture

and final room layout

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
THX info for the certification process, 10 years old but still in use I believe.
http://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/2004-cedia-expo/thx-certified-home-theater-program

The THX Certified Home Theater specifications will include strict guidelines for room layout and design, acoustics, lighting, background noise, and equipment positioning and installation. To roll out this new initiative, THX will be partnering with the nation's leading system integrators and custom designers, as well as its manufacturing partners in the consumer electronics industry.
The THX Ceritifed Home Theater program...

• Applies to dedicated home theaters only
  • Is best suited for new construction (not a limiting factor, however)
  • is available only to THX qualified designer/installer companies
  • Requires the use of THX Certified or approved products
  • Requires design review and approval by the THX Design office
  • Requires measured proof of audio and video performance using THX specified measurement techniques
  • Does not specify theater size or visual appearance except if they adversely affect THX performance standards.
Qualified Designer/Installer Companies...

• Are selected based on a completed application and interview
  • Have a solid portfolio of completed dedicated home theater projects
  • Havecertification from THX, CEDIA, HAA, ISF, AIA, NHIA and other relevant organizations
  • Show proof of legal and financial responsibility
THX Provides...

• Marketing materials for builders and prospective clients
  • Extensive online and offline promotions and advertising
  • A THX Certified Home Theater wall plaque and demonstration material for the client
  • Designer referral and system design services
THX Standards
Picture:

• 16:9 > =36 degree horizontal viewing angle
  • native HD capable
  • Screen luminance > = 16ft lamberts
  • THX certified, acoustically transparent screen
Sound

• Mid-band reverberant field pink noise < +/-4dBC between any two seating positions
  • No audible distortion playing program material at 115dBC
  • Background noise < =NC22
  • At least four surround speakers, two side and two back
User Interface

• Remote controls with a logical user interface
  • All basic functions available with a single key stroke
Measurement

• Video performance measurements taken using Sencore CP5000 quality gear or better
  • Audio performance measurements taken using four microphone spatial/temporal RTA techniques with 1/12 octave resolution or better.
The new program is almost certainly guaranteed to be a success with all of the high-end home theaters being built around the country (and the world for that matter). This is an idea and concept that has been long in the making (and was highly requested in the past). It's great to see THX expand into the home theater market in this way and add a whole new dimension to their line of certifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts