AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arriving this month, DVICO introduces the latest player/streamer, the N1. The N1 uses a smaller more compact aluminum cylinder design (similar to the M7000 but no internal HDD bay), the units arriving this month are black. No fan inside, the N1 operation is silent. The N1 uses RTD1073DD, designed to be a low priced alternative to the current TViX models.

Update The N1 is actually the N1 Plus that uses the latest Realtek Chip. This model currently has a BETA firmware that supports TrueHD but DTS-MA is still work in progress. It also offers Native Frame Rate and an updated Webremote App as well as user customizable UI, and of course TViXiE cover art app. Firmware can be downloaded right from the player (for those who have this model, use the remote presses 2,3,8,3,function to add the BETA option.

The N1 supports FLV and RMBV but lacks HD Audio. It's designed to be a streamer for users that have their files stored on a network hard drive/storage device. Unlike the M6600N, the N1 has both HDMI and Component as well as composite SD outupts.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...deo/tvixn1.asp

MSRP $189

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I don't know much about the TVIX products, but imo, releasing a $200 player of any kind without HD audio support is an automatic game ender at this point in time.

Further, what is with these odd form factors lately? It looks cool in a press release, but it would just look dopy sitting on your entertainment center shelf. Companies should spend a little more time differentiating their product's *features* and less time just trying to stand out by having odd looking plastic packaging.

-Suntan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agree. Right now the price point for the features it delivers is $99 to $120 at most and that price is falling as the market becomes further saturated.

Basically someone is going to need to sell me on the price difference between this and say these:

BriteView Cinematube

WD Live

Xtreamer

Honestly this N1 is going to be more expensive than these so please let me know what benefits this has that validate the higher cost.

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agree. I bought the M6620N two months ago but end up selling it on ebay because it doesn't perform better than the xtreamer and I don't need the PVR feature. The tvix products are way overpriced.

The Tvix N1 looks stylish and I may get one, but the price really needs to come down first.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the price will be the focal poit, I see.

First, bear in mind that I can't think of anyone that will sell a media player product for $79 unless it is an inventory clearance. I've seen manufacturer's quotes for non-branded media players in quantities over 500 and it's close to that price....before freight to the US or anywhere else. And, if anyone is willing to sell close to manufactunig costs, I would wonder about how the firmware development would be afforded.

There is a consistancy in the DVICO products that's nice for owners of DVICO products, such as the cover art working (I personally use TViXiE for both TViX and Dune, so interoperability is important). I can't speak about features of other players so I won't attempt to compare it here, so feel free to ask about firmware enhancements from the basic Realtek version.

Another nice feature of the N1 is a nice aluminum case, not the typical plastic used in low cost players. The N1 does not use a fan so it is silent, a complaint that I read often with many players on the market.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shipment of N1 is finally coming in and DVICO announced their final release firmware version 1.9.9 which includes Webremote:

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog /forum/post/18257166

Old chip, old spec. No HD audio. $79 at most.

Just found out that current production does use the new Plus chip with HD-Audio. TrueHD support is coming soon in new firmware release, DTS-MA is work in progress and will follow later.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark /forum/post/18664738

Just found out that current production does use the new Plus chip with HD-Audio. TrueHD support is coming soon in new firmware release, DTS-MA is work in progress and will follow later.

This is not new nor news. This features has been advertised and sold in other markets since Feb. the problem is it is still converting DD TrueHD and DTS-MA to LPCM. While I am sure some people will accept this as HD audio support but to me and many others the only "true" HD audio support is direct passthrough of the HD audio bitstreams, not converted LPCM.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog /forum/post/18664818

This is not new nor news. This features has been advertised and sold in other markets since Feb. the problem is it is still converting DD TrueHD and DTS-MA to LPCM. While I am sure some people will accept this as HD audio support but to me and many others the only "true" HD audio support is direct passthrough of the HD audio bitstreams, not converted LPCM.

Actually, it is news. This feature has never been advertised by DVICO, and in fact we're holding off on any marketing until the new firmware is released.

This is not the convert to LPCM, it is bitstream via HDMI that is a feature of the new Realtek Plus chips (1283 and 1073).

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark /forum/post/18264074

There is a consistancy in the DVICO products that's nice for owners of DVICO products, such as the cover art working (I personally use TViXiE for both TViX and Dune, so interoperability is important). I can't speak about features of other players so I won't attempt to compare it here, so feel free to ask about firmware enhancements from the basic Realtek version.

Kei, please tell more about the cover art supports. Any link would be appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark /forum/post/18664844

This is not the convert to LPCM, it is bitstream via HDMI that is a feature of the new Realtek Plus chips (1283 and 1073).

Let's not play word games. Please be specific. What I really want to know is bitstream in what format? I only accept direct passthrough of DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD bitstreams as true HD audio support, not LPCM bitstream!

As far as I can tell, direct passthrough of DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD bitstream is promised but has not come true for 6600N+ series as of today. N1 on the other hand was only promised to pass LPCM bitstream converted from DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD which I consider fall short of full HD audio support. If you are saying N1 will passthrough DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD bitstreams without touching them in the "near future" then I stand corrected.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT /forum/post/18665337

Kei, please tell more about the cover art supports. Any link would be appreciated.

My preference is TViXiE as it supports both TViX and Dune Players. It's relatively easy to learn how to use and does a nice job of both cover art and fan art which my kids love.

Here's a shot of the movie info page with fanart.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog /forum/post/18665473

Let's not play word games. Please be specific. What I really want to know is bitstream in what format? I only accept direct passthrough of DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD bitstreams as true HD audio support, not LPCM bitstream!

As far as I can tell, direct passthrough of DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD bitstream is promised but has not come true for 6600N+ series as of today. N1 on the other hand was only promised to pass LPCM bitstream converted from DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD which I consider fall short of full HD audio support. If you are saying N1 will passthrough DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD bitstreams without touching them in the "near future" then I stand corrected.

I didn't think I was playing with words whatsoever.

TrueHD and DTS-MA via HDMI bitstreaming, decoded by your TrueHD and DTS-MA capable receivers. Period.

You're correct, the firmware is being written as we speak, the last update I received was that they had TrueHD working but DTS-MA required a little more work, so I requested they release the software with TrueHD and follow later with DTS-MA.

And yes, the N1 version using the 1073DD Plus chip will do exactly that in the next firmware release.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog /forum/post/18665473

Let's not play word games.

Simmer down tough guy.

Kei has been a valued supporter of this website for many years (much more than your 45 posts worth) who goes above and beyond that of a "regular salesman."

If you're not interested in this player, that's fine. Move along. But don't hassle someone that has a long history of actually helping users like us get help and support directly from the manufacturers of these products.

-Suntan

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18665945

Simmer down tough guy.

Kei has been a valued supporter of this website for many years (much more than your 45 posts worth) who goes above and beyond that of a "regular salesman."

If you're not interested in this player, that's fine. Move along. But don't hassle someone that has a long history of actually helping users like us get help and support directly from the manufacturers of these products.

-Suntan

Well, who are you to say I am not interersted? If I am not interested why I even bother to look at this and other media players? N1 indeed wouldn't be a product of interest if it does not support HD audio but that changes if it starts support HD audio.

The problem is not I am hassle some one but rather the TVIX's products have different spec all over different dealers with conflicting claims and the "new" spec can not be found on TVIX's official web site. One simply can not tell exactely what their products really can or cann't do. This is not limited to N1 but also with the "old" 6600N family and the "new" 6600N+ family. The "old" 6600N is particularly a problem as many dealers in different markets have claimed or promised they will support HD audio and turned out it is not the case while TVIX just wash hands. In light of what had happened, which may or may not be TVIX's fault, why is so wrong to be on the caution side? Especially when TVIX's products are priced on the high side and one risk re-stocking charge plus shipping regardless the reason for returns?

The right of seeking the bottom line about a products should not depends whether I have 45 posts or 4,500 posts. A product that is been marketed openly should be able to take questions and answer openly. Trying to silence me does not make the products look better either. Having said that let me state again if and when 6620N+ or N1 really supports HD audio, I may still buy one.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Suntan and PawPawDog,

No problem guys, and thanks Suntan for the love.
I understand the confusion this whole Realtek things has caused, and even I did not expect that the N1 would be using the Plus chip already, you can say I'm pleasantly surprised.

As for DVICO, they did not know while working on the product that there would be HD-Audio issues. But, since it was not operational at the time of release, they advised us specifically about this problem, and we made sure that it was not advertised with the incorrect info. I've never led anyone to think otherwise, in fact I'll be happy to discuss shortcomings of any product we sell to eliminate any undue expectations, it's better that than an unsatisfied customer.

Both the N1 and M66X0N boxes are not perfect, but it's stable, quiet, and more refined than most players, and we continue to test and report the issues and prioritize the things that we would like to see fixed.

Since we're still waiting for release of the software, you can technically say it's not fully ready yet, but I trust that both will now be full featured players that users will appreciate.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have not read that the DVICO TViX HD N1 actually plays BluRay .iso files. I can only assume since they are working on streaming HD audio formats that the device itself will playback BluRay .iso files. Is my assumption correct? If so I will be purchasing one as soon as someone confirms.

EDIT: Brain fart. It states so in the first paragraph on digitalconnection.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Kei, if you have an iPad did you check out the webremote on it from the N1? I just ordered one for my bedroom and want to use my iPad as the remote.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by giza /forum/post/18677184

Hey Kei, if you have an iPad did you check out the webremote on it from the N1? I just ordered one for my bedroom and want to use my iPad as the remote.

Giza,

I haven't yet, as all my media is network attached and the webremote cannot access that yet.

Here's a discussion over at MPC.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts