AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though there isn't an official owners thread for Energy and/or Mirage subwoofers. How that could have happened is beyond me -- seeing as there are so many people own them -- but that appears to be the case. Since there are a tremendous number of similarities between the two manufacturers products the consensus was to have a combined thread, so that's what this is now.

So, to all Energy and Mirage subwoofer owners you no longer need to post about your subs in the Speakers forum. Please feel free to post anything you want here.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks Jim!

I'll start off by saying I've had my 1st S10.3 for just over 3yrs now. I have experience with owning subs from 8 to 15 inches over the past 20yrs and really like sweet spot of cost vs performance of the S10.3 IMHO. Not long afterward I added a second S10.3 and was very happy with the results of running dual subs. I move into my new place in under a month and will be running quad S10.3's. I plan on sharing my REW findings and subjective impressions in a dedicated thread comparing the results of running 1/2/3 and then all 4 subs in my listening space which will not be a sealed off dedicated HT, but a pretty average living room which is open to other rooms.

And yes, the blue lights thankfully burn out, but not the amps.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22231271

Thanks Jim!

You're welcome. I found it shocking no one else had made an owners thread yet. It's kinda odd a person who's never even heard an Energy sub had to create this, but it is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22231271

I plan on sharing my REW findings and subjective impressions in a dedicated thread comparing the results of running 1/2/3 and then all 4 subs in my listening space which will not be a sealed off dedicated HT, but a pretty average living room which is open to other rooms.

This thread was started for all things Energy, so when you write your evaluation you're more then welcome to post it here. AAMOF, I encourage you to do so instead of starting another thread. That way, anyone looking for information can get it all right here.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22231353

This thread was started for all things Energy, so when you write your evaluation you're more then welcome to post it here. AAMOF, I encourage you to do so instead of starting another thread. That way, anyone looking for information can get it all right here.

Hi Jim,

I don't normally post in the Energy Owners Thread. I posted the other day to let them know that I thought some of the energy owners may be interested in my results of running multiple S10.3's. I hadn't thought of starting a new post just for this, but It was suggested in the thread that I make my experiment a new thread unto it's own. I got hooked in the idea of multiple subs to overcome the effects a typical room has on the bass frequencies after listening to Floyd Toole on The HTGEEKS podcast and later reading his book.

I am thinking that if I was to post my results in the general sub area, that they may be more useful to a wider group of avs members who do not own energy subs, but are still thinking about trying multiple subs for themselves. I know in a unsealed non-symmetrical room, all bets are off as to the results being repeatable, but I thought it still may have merit.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22229130

It seems as though there has never been an "official" Energy subwoofer owners thread. How that could have happened is beyond me -- seeing as there are so many people own them -- but that appears to be the situation.

So, to all you Energy subwoofer owners... you now have a place to call home.

Great idea, Jim. Although I would suggest calling it the Energy/Mirage owners thread since there are duplicate subs across the two lines--and so I can participate since I have the Mirage Prestige S10

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22231574

Great idea, Jim. Although I would suggest calling it the Energy/Mirage owners thread since there are duplicate subs across the two lines--and so I can participate since I have the Mirage Prestige S10

For sure! I'm listening to great little Mirage S8 right now. The little over-achiever is the reason I got my first Energy S10.3.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22231574

Oh sure, it's all about Charlie is it?

I knew some of the Energy/Mirage stuff was very similar (or the same), but I was never really certain how many of the subs were. If the two companies sell pretty much identical stuff then maybe I should change the thread name.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The Mirage Omni series is the same basic design as the S10.3/S12.3. The Energy VSW-10 and the Prestige S10 are the same design model. Then there are those small sealed subs, the Mirage MM6 and MM8 which look to be the same as the Energy ESW-M6 and M8.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To gauge whether or not Energy and Mirage do essentially sell identical subwoofers I did a comparison of their respective (current) product lines. What I found surprised me; turns out they're more dissimilar then similar.

On the left are the subwoofers made by Mirage, while on the right are those from Energy. Where they matched I put them side-by-side. I noted those that either don't match or have no equivalent from the other manufacturer. Here's what I found...

• Mirage            Energy
  • MM-6              ESW-M6
  • MM-8              ESW-M8
  • Omni S-8         No Match
  • Omni S-10        No Match
  • Prestige S-8     No Match
  • Prestige S-10    V-SW10 (virtually identical)
  • No Match         ESW-C8
  • No Match         ESW-C10
  • No Match         EW-100
  • No Match         Energy Power 10
  • No Match         Energy Power 12

As you can see, of the possible 11 products only 3 are actually the same. Those may represent the most popular subwoofers each company sells, but 3 of 11 constitutes just over 25 percent of the total products.

I did check for an official Mirage owners thread, and as with Energy it doesn't exist. I do see a need for a Mirage thread, but looking at the information above I'm not sure the two companies should be in the same thread.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread/0_50#post_22232546
  • Mirage            Energy
  • MM-6              ESW-M6
  • MM-8              ESW-M8
  • Omni S-8         S8.3
  • Omni S-10        S10.3
  • Prestige S-8     No Match
  • Prestige S-10    V-SW10 (virtually identical)
  • No Match         ESW-C8
  • No Match         ESW-C10
  • No Match         EW-100
  • No Match         Energy Power 10
  • No Match         Energy Power 12

I added two. Some of the products might be discontinued. The Energy Power series is brand new (and look really cheap
). I don't know if there were ever any matches in the mirage line for the energy c-series.

There's also the ESW-8HG in the energy take classic set and the nanosat s8 from mirage, and I'm too lazy to see if they're the same.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22233000

I added two. Some of the products might be discontinued.

Ironically, the S10.3 is what made me add '(current)' to the original post. I know Energy sells a ton of them, but it wasn't listed on their website. For a discontinued model they sure do have a lot left over it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22233000

The Energy Power series is brand new (and look really cheap
).

Agreed. Did you check the specs? They strike me as a "why bother?" product, to be completely honest.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread/0_50#post_22233149

Ironically, the S10.3 is what made me add '(current)' to the original post. I know Energy sells a ton of them, but it wasn't listed on their website. For a discontinued model they sure do have a lot left over it seems.

Agreed. Did you check the specs? They strike me as a "why bother?" product, to be completely honest.

I have to admit, I totally skipped over the word current. But yeah, it definitely seems like they've still got a million left over considering how many places still sell them.

When the Power subs were first announced I did take a look at the specs and found them to be very disappointing.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
There's also a Jamo sub that appears to be a match for either the MM6 or MM8.

Then there was a different Energy 10" model that was a close match to the Mirage Prestige S10. Then Klipsch discontined both and released the VSW-10 at a higher MSRP.

·
Registered
30,150 Posts

Quote:
It seems as though there has never been an "official" Energy subwoofer owners thread. How that could have happened is beyond me -- seeing as there are so many people own them -- but that appears to be the situation.

it's because all of that discussion falls into the Energy Owners Thread in the Speakers sub-forum.

That said, if this thread continues, I do believe you should merge Energy and Mirage. Your list of "matches" is really incomplete especially if you look back historically. Energy and Mirage were "sister" companies under API (along with Athena, now gone).

Some of the newer Energy products (ESW-C10 for example) don't really have matches but that's because Mirage hasn't produced any new subwoofer products in years. Since the Klipsch buyout of these two companies (and the subsequent Audiovox buyout) Mirage and Energy's product offerings have been somewhat crippled, which is why you are seeing these older products (like S10.3) sold at such discount.

If you look at Mirage's subwoofer offerings at their official site, all of the models (the micro MM line, the mid-level Omnis and the high-end Prestige) are all several years old now and all of them have exact Energy matches. http://www.miragespeakers.com/subwoofers/

On your list of matches, you may have missed several because Energy no longer lists these older models as current products whereas Mirage still has them on their website. I'll fill in some gaps for you....

Newer Products: None of these will have Mirage analogues for the above-mentioned reasons.

- The Energy "Power" series are brand-new, garbage offerings from Audiovox that are meant to go with their soundbars and computer speakers. They can be safely ignored in a consumer forum like this one.

- The budget "ESW" subs (like ESW-C10) are also fairly new and come after Mirage stopped putting out new sub products.

- The newer "Veritas" sub (VSW-10) is sort of a redesigned ESW-V sub, for which there was an 8" and 10" version that were direct analogues to the Mirage Prestige.

- The EW-100 is simply a rebranded Klipsch KW-100 that came out of the Klipsch buyout.

"Current" Mirage Products: All of these have Energy counterparts...

- Mirage MM6 = Energy ESW-M6

- Mirage MM8 = Energy ESW-M8

- Mirage Omni S8 = Energy S8.3

- Mirage Omni S10 = Energy S10.3

- Mirage Omni S12 = Energy S12.3

- Mirage Prestige S8 = Energy ESW-V8

- Mirage Prestige S10 = Energy ESW-V10

Plus if you look at the "Nanosub" that comes with the Mirage Nanosats it appears to be nearly identical to the Energy ESW-8 that came with the Take Classic setup.

"Older" Mirage Products: Some of these had direct Energy counterparts, for example the Mirage FRX series was the same as the Energy e:XL offerings (e.g. FRX-S8 = Energy e:XL-S8, FRX-S10 = Energy e:XL-S10, etc.). Mirage did have some unique offerings with their "bipolar" sub lines (BPS) though, and there wasn't any Mirage counterpart to the Energy SX.2 line that came in between the original "S" subs (e:XL) and the SX.3 subs.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Batpig is like Morgan Freeman. What up, God?

Reactions: sheshechic

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig  /t/1420795/official-energy-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22263866

Hope that helps!

Yes, it does - that was a very informative and helpful post, replete with a lot of good information. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Based upon what you wrote, and the general consensus, it now seems logical that this thread should be shared by the two manufacturers, so I'll go ahead and change the title. I'll also edit the first post accordingly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello, I have a question about adding a second subwoofer to my theater setup. Will a second sub added by a splitter cable double the subwoofer out put from a 5.1 receiver or split the output between the two subwoofers with the same net effect? I currently have an energy s10.3 and would like to know if adding a second one would be a benefit or just money wasted. Thanks for your help. I just found that setting all speakers to the small setting really makes a difference in the sub response and want to know if there is any more bass to be had.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbuckwa  /t/1420795/official-energy-and-mirage-subwoofer-owners-thread#post_22264384

Will a second sub added by a splitter cable double the subwoofer out put from a 5.1 receiver or split the output between the two subwoofers with the same net effect?

Essentially yes; adding a second sub will double output.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just picked up a late 1990s Mirage Sub that also had an Energy counterpart. The Mirage is a PS-12-90 and the equivalent Energy model was the AS-90. It was part of a package deal I picked up on Craigslist. The ironic thing is I owned the Energy sub about 15-18 years ago!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts