AVS Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 2444 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts

Thank you... CSOT - China Star in case anyone was wondering... Hopefully it's a decent panel.. I know Rtings did a comparison of other panels but not this one unfortunately ....

Also, side note i resolved my WIFI issue by entering in my network info statically. So far so good except for 1 or 2 videos not loading but it is much better now...

Last night i was watching cast away and during a scene at night the ocean water in the background was very pixelated. I did not have this issue on more current movies shot in 1080p/4k so I was wondering which setting can help with older movies looking pixelated especially in dark scenes. I turned on Digital Clean View but didn't make to o much of a difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not my set that is the problem GB it's Comcast and the compression they use on some of their HD channel's. Like one guy told me, garbage in and garbage out and that's what you get at time's with cable tv. Like for instance. Last night while watching the SB (Which my Pat's won!) the game itself you could tell was no higher then 720p and it showed. My 6500 upscales everything to 4K and trying to upscale a 720p signal to 4K show's the flaw's that is 720p. Now 720p may look good on a 1080p such as my old W900A but it's not's so good on a 4K set, it wasnt bad mind you but it wasnt good either. Now does it make me want to run back to my W900A? Hell no because one I gave it to my parent's, two the dead pixel issue is a killer for me and three I think my 6500 is just as good if not a little better then my old set and a return to 1080p is out of the question for me. And just an update. Regular Blu ray movie's look fantastic upscaled to 4K on the 6500 which is not making me rush to go out and get a 4K Blu ray player right away but that is next. :D Thinking about picking up the Samsung UBD-K8500 when I do go get a 4K player.
Yeah, some of the station quality is really unacceptable I think. Compression is always going to be an issue with cable. I'm quite happy with the quality of the Netflix picture on this TV. I don't think Netflix 4k is an option here in Canada yet. I tried one blu-ray disk on the TV but wasn't that impressed. I'll have to try a couple more. I think I'm using a HDMI 1.4 cable for that input so I wonder if using a better cable might improve the result. 4k players are still too pricey for me to swallow at the moment.

What dead pixel issue is that on the 900a?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spoke to Samsung Canada via the online chat support. Basically the guy just told me he isn't aware of anyone else with this issue. Try factory reset the tv (done so numerous times), or just plug to a different port. Also have tried this.

I'm still within the return period of Costco, I'm conflicted of whether to pack it up and return or wait till Samsung pushes out a software update, if they're even aware of this issue. Because aside from this issue, the picture is really good. No major panel flawsm the 60' is a nice upgreade from our previous 55'
I honestly can't tell you if I had my issue before 1162, since firmware update is usually the first thing I do once I buy a TV.

I'm also still in Costco's 90 days return window, not sure if I'll keep it. For me, the thing is, I really like Costco's return warranty ( last sets were returned after more than 90 days without any issues because of getting bad sets), so I insist on buying the TV from Costco. The problem is, other than this 6290, there is not much at the same price range.

I can't say that I'm in love with the set, though. Having to use a Toslink to 3.5mm converter just to plug in my headphones is a hassle. Only 3 HMDI ports and only one is [email protected] Not too sure about the whole TV. Upscaling is better than other sets that I've tried so far, especially lower res upscale (720P and 1080i), but the colors are still faded a little and the blacks are not that great either. And the 5 button remote? Not the best.

It feels that the sub 1000$CAN category is not what I need, I was used to top of the line models in the previous years and decided to be a little more reasonable this time. I'm starting to believe that I will hardly ever be satisfied with an entry level model. I really need to think this one through...

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yeah, some of the station quality is really unacceptable I think. Compression is always going to be an issue with cable. I'm quite happy with the quality of the Netflix picture on this TV. I don't think Netflix 4k is an option here in Canada yet. I tried one blu-ray disk on the TV but wasn't that impressed. I'll have to try a couple more. I think I'm using a HDMI 1.4 cable for that input so I wonder if using a better cable might improve the result. 4k players are still too pricey for me to swallow at the moment.

What dead pixel issue is that on the 900a?
4 dead pixel's and I tried everything to fix em. Even ran a pixel thing from the internet to fix the issue and nothing. And since the tv's warranty ended Sony refused to do anything about it so that's one reason I moved on from it and went with my 6500. Speaking of my 6500 I have to replace some of my HDMI cables since the one's I use dont handle 4K. Wife's not happy about it but she know's how I am so they are gonna get replaced.

I honestly can't tell you if I had my issue before 1162, since firmware update is usually the first thing I do once I buy a TV.

I'm also still in Costco's 90 days return window, not sure if I'll keep it. For me, the thing is, I really like Costco's return warranty ( last sets were returned after more than 90 days without any issues because of getting bad sets), so I insist on buying the TV from Costco. The problem is, other than this 6290, there is not much at the same price range.

I can't say that I'm in love with the set, though. Having to use a Toslink to 3.5mm converter just to plug in my headphones is a hassle. Only 3 HMDI ports and only one is [email protected] Not too sure about the whole TV. Upscaling is better than other sets that I've tried so far, especially lower res upscale (720P and 1080i), but the colors are still faded a little and the blacks are not that great either. And the 5 button remote? Not the best.

It feels that the sub 1000$CAN category is not what I need, I was used to top of the line models in the previous years and decided to be a little more reasonable this time. I'm starting to believe that I will hardly ever be satisfied with an entry level model. I really need to think this one through...

What's the deal with Costco tv's? I have been hearing alot of complaint's from people who have bought tv's from them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's the deal with Costco tv's? I have been hearing alot of complaint's from people who have bought tv's from them.
I'm not sure I can say that there are issues with Costco's TV. A lot of people were having the same issues as me and did not buy their TV from Costco. I think the problem making them more prone to problematic TVs is that they mainly sell entry level TVs, which will obviously (but not always) have more issues than 3000$ ones. Again, not saying that it's always the case and that 3000$ TVs have no issues. I'm just saying that there is technically usually less efforts put into entry level TV by the manufacturers.

My Vizio M55-C2 from Costco were a real nightmare (had 2). Defective board, screen half green, no power, etc.
My Sony from Costco worked great, until Sony decided to push Marshmallow and then it went downhill from there. TV not responding, would not power on, apps would crash or not connect at all, etc.

Costco might just be a coincidence, considering a lot of people buy from there. But again, they offer such a great warranty that I never had problems returning my defective sets, even well pass the 90 days return window.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi,

Recent buyer -- trying to program my universal remote but having no luck. Any ideas on what the code is? I am using my Yamaha Receiver remote trying to pair and need a 4 digit code.

Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thank you... CSOT - China Star in case anyone was wondering... Hopefully it's a decent panel.. I know Rtings did a comparison of other panels but not this one unfortunately ....

Also, side note i resolved my WIFI issue by entering in my network info statically. So far so good except for 1 or 2 videos not loading but it is much better now...

Last night i was watching cast away and during a scene at night the ocean water in the background was very pixelated. I did not have this issue on more current movies shot in 1080p/4k so I was wondering which setting can help with older movies looking pixelated especially in dark scenes. I turned on Digital Clean View but didn't make to o much of a difference.
What format were you watching Castaway in? if your source is highly compressed you're going to get that pixelation. Try watching the same scene from a good blu ray and see if it's still there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does any of you experience the lack of contrast in Movie setting?

I use Natural now, since it has much more contrast which I need for SDR (1080p) viewing of regular aired tv in Europe. But I want to have more influence on colors, so Movie setting is better. But lacks so much contrast.

Who else has this? What is the solution?

·
Registered
44 Posts
4 dead pixel's and I tried everything to fix em. Even ran a pixel thing from the internet to fix the issue and nothing. And since the tv's warranty ended Sony refused to do anything about it so that's one reason I moved on from it and went with my 6500. Speaking of my 6500 I have to replace some of my HDMI cables since the one's I use dont handle 4K. Wife's not happy about it but she know's how I am so they are gonna get replaced.
Ah yes I should have known. My first 900a had a small cluster of dead pixels and a yellow tint in the middle. Returned it and got another only to find still a yellow middle (although better) but much worse horizontal LED banding. Told myself after that I wouldn't buy another top tier TV. I'd rather be dissatisfied at half the price. :)

Yeah, not much sense in having a 4k TV if your cables can't handle the signal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What format were you watching Castaway in? if your source is highly compressed you're going to get that pixelation. Try watching the same scene from a good blu ray and see if it's still there.
It was on HBO so it was a HD format I would assume. And it doesn't happen on recent movies shot in full HD. I don't have a blueray player connected to this TV but I did not notice it on 4k content on youtube.

I use Natural now, since it has much more contrast which I need for SDR (1080p) viewing of regular aired tv in Europe. But I want to have more influence on colors, so Movie setting is better. But lacks so much contrast.

I noticed the same thing.. My picture does not really "pop" and has a little bit of a dimmed haze look to it during certain movies.

·
Registered
234 Posts

It's all in the calibration. The Movie setting is the closest setting you want to use if what you want to see is how the movie directors wanted you to see it but.............it still needs calibration. Get yourself a calibration disk and calibrate the movie setting. Makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ah yes I should have known. My first 900a had a small cluster of dead pixels and a yellow tint in the middle. Returned it and got another only to find still a yellow middle (although better) but much worse horizontal LED banding. Told myself after that I wouldn't buy another top tier TV. I'd rather be dissatisfied at half the price. :)

Yeah GB the dead pixels showed up along with what appeared to be fingers on both sides of the tv screen. They werent bad but faint and maybe you could see them on your set as well I dont know. But I'm with you and that is I aint buying no more top tier tv's either because to me they aint no different when it comes to certain issues with LED set's. What I do know is the wife and I are lovin our Samsung 6500 and so far knock on wood no issue's to report. Another thing I aint going to rely on as much anymore is online review's because they all seem to give the high end sets good reviews and ignore the mid to low end sets which at times perform better then the high end sets! So high end is not always better in my opinion. The next tv I will get in a few years will be an LG OLED set because to be honest nothing else will do and I am gonna wait for the prices to drop and see where the OLED tech will be. Until then my Samsung 6500 will do more then just fine. My sole focus in the next few months will be getting a new 4K Blu ray player and keep picking up Blu ray and start collecting 4K disc's. Otherwise I'm good to go as far as anything thing else is concerned when it comes to my HT setup. I didnt have any plans on replacing my W900A as you know until the issues started popping up and it forced my hand to upgrade but this time I didnt have to spend what seemed like a fortune to do it! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am now getting the same issue on this tv that has been happening to my KS8000 as well, my 4k videos on youtube are not playing in 4k. I am running out of ideas. I power cycle the TV, the videos play in 4k for a few minutes, then the next 4k video I play is in HD and I have to start the cycle over. It's so obnoxious. Internet is not an issue, 150 down/up. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
Keeping an eye on this thread. Looking to buy the best buy model (6290) for our bedroom. The 55" model. Need help deciding between thst one and the vizio 55 m series. Each are about the same price
AFAIK The KU 6290 and KU 6300 only diverge in that the 6300 has bluetooth and both of them I have seen in the store and the 2015 JU 6500 look pretty darn good for the spend IMO if a 60Hz panel meets your needs and I thought all pictures were a pretty decent SDR 4K and upscaled to 4K SDR TV picture all in all.

TBH I'm not a fan of second tier brand TV 's below Samsung ,LG and Sony tier one like like Vizio and the others .

I think the Samsungs have better color saturation and brightness below clipping and importantly they do have better upscaling than the rubbish second tier 2 brands .:)

Reactions: jra2k1

·
Banned
1,240 Posts
GBNova

Actually a decent Samsung ,LG or Sony 4K HDR or SDR TV upscaling 480i/480p /720p/59.94 and 1080i/1080p content looks better with more color volume and saturation within the color volume below clipping and sharper than a native 1080p panel with the same content vis a vis good upscaling now and 4 X 1080p pixels and chroma pixels and less LCD blooming with the smaller pixels and so on.

There is no reason to buy 1080p anymore outside of a constrained budget , the new ones are low spend rubbish anyway not like the older good 1080p TV's up through maybe 2013 -2014 or so mostly at Samsung because that was Sony's cash starved design rubbish TV product crisis noting I have been buying Sony Trinitron and Sony XBR TV's since 1993 and the 2013-2014 product wasn't up to what I would expect of Sony Bravia or Sony XBR and Samsung beat them to real HDR -10 TV's . :p

2013 -2014 cash starved production Sonys were mostly rubbish IMO and some were carry over models ,a lot of them also had panel defects above that with the rubbish AUO panels and LCD cells they were using then before the Sony TV subsidiary restructuring out of Sony inc. into an owned Sony Inc. subsidiary and its own better management and autonomy .

My 40" 2013 Sony Bravia LED/LCD was rubbish with poorly saturated red and green color primaries ,color banding and color/worse than what they normally are on all the conventional SDR /HD Blue LED lamp panels outside of a real 10 bit Wide color gamut HDR TV ,CCFL /LCD or Plasma .

My 2013 Bravia model had low brightness and color volume all not nearly as good as my 40" real 8 bit + frc decent Samsung panel 2012 Toshiba CCFL/ LCD or the 40" 2012 Insignia here with the same exact CCFL /LCD panel as the Toshiba-Compal .

Old school CCFL /LCD TV panels have better white light spectrum than conventional LED panels with blue -yellow phosphor treated LED without severely pushing blue spectrum before the LCD cell and they make better primaries and color all around within the bt 709 boundaries , besides that they all ripped everybody off charging folks more for cheaper to make LED/LCD TV's as long as they could . :p

I kicked the 2013 Sony Bravia blue LED rubbish out of this room not a minute too soon for the real decent 2015 Sony 4K XBR in my sig , it's defect free as LCD goes w/ a decent Samsung VA LCD cell /Sony Triluminos 4K HDR panel.

I had to disassemble the rubbish 6 bit + frc panel in the Bravia and put new LED strips in it from new salvage on E pay because they were dropping failing randomly at 2 yrs after I put it in another room at 1 year here .:p

Reactions: jra2k1

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's all in the calibration. The Movie setting is the closest setting you want to use if what you want to see is how the movie directors wanted you to see it but.............it still needs calibration. Get yourself a calibration disk and calibrate the movie setting. Makes all the difference in the world.
Sure, but whatever you try, the contrast in Natural can not be achieved in Movie setting, at least not on mine. If I set contrast to 100, dynamic contrast to high, it is still nowhere like Natural does (and that one can stay on dynamic medium).

So, how to overcome this difference? Is this a software error? I want the high contrast but change colours to my/calibrated likings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah GB the dead pixels showed up along with what appeared to be fingers on both sides of the tv screen. They werent bad but faint and maybe you could see them on your set as well I dont know. But I'm with you and that is I aint buying no more top tier tv's either because to me they aint no different when it comes to certain issues with LED set's. What I do know is the wife and I are lovin our Samsung 6500 and so far knock on wood no issue's to report. Another thing I aint going to rely on as much anymore is online review's because they all seem to give the high end sets good reviews and ignore the mid to low end sets which at times perform better then the high end sets! So high end is not always better in my opinion. The next tv I will get in a few years will be an LG OLED set because to be honest nothing else will do and I am gonna wait for the prices to drop and see where the OLED tech will be. Until then my Samsung 6500 will do more then just fine. My sole focus in the next few months will be getting a new 4K Blu ray player and keep picking up Blu ray and start collecting 4K disc's. Otherwise I'm good to go as far as anything thing else is concerned when it comes to my HT setup. I didnt have any plans on replacing my W900A as you know until the issues started popping up and it forced my hand to upgrade but this time I didnt have to spend what seemed like a fortune to do it! :D
I definitely had the fingers and they are what tormented me for over 2 years. Yeah the online reviews do seem to gloss over any issues with the better sets. The fact of the matter is that TVs at almost any price point have inconsistencies in panel quality. I almost bit on LG’s 55” B6 when it was discounted by 1k here, but the more I read the more I realized they had issues too. Not the least of which was banding which I thought they were free of. At the end of the day I didn’t feel that upgrading was really upgrading for me coming from the 55” Sony unless I also moved up to 65”, which was too expensive in the OLEDs. The other factor was knowing that 4k really shines on a 65” given the extra screen area over the 55”. There is very little difference in quality of a good 1080 feed sent to a 55” and a good and especially average 4k feed to the same TV sitting at an average of 8-10ft from the TV. Now if you like to sit closer to your 55” you are going to benefit from the increase in pixels 4k gives you.

1701 - 1720 of 2444 Posts