AVS Forum banner

20481 - 20500 of 21060 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I didn't get any feedback from anyone on my question. Someone local is looking to sell me a used Epik Conquest for $950. Is it worth that? My alternative is a Seaton Submersive for $1925. Would you all recommend it? How much would you think is a good price? Also, how does it compare to a Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator, or the new 18" Reaction Audio sub? Would love owners impressions.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I didn't get any feedback from anyone on my question. Someone local is looking to sell me a used Epik Conquest for $950. Is it worth that? My alternative is a Seaton Submersive for $1925. Would you all recommend it? How much would you think is a good price? Also, how does it compare to a Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator, or the new 18" Reaction Audio sub? Would love owners impressions.
I'd lean towards the Seaton (Empire owner). You might look up some of the Kansas City sub/speaker get togethers by member Archaea and others, think you'll find comparisons with at least the Empire, Submersive and Captivator, maybe a Reaction Audio sub....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Before I bought my Epik Empires new, I debated going with a Seaton Submersive. At the end of the day, 2 Epik Empires were cheaper than 1 Seaton Submersive. I have a hard time believing that 1 Seaton could compete with 2 Epik's.

Then my plate amp died and I replaced it with a Behringer NU6000DSP.

Now I have DSP control and more power than I know what to do with. Still cheaper than the 1 Seaton.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Before I bought my Epik Empires new, I debated going with a Seaton Submersive. At the end of the day, 2 Epik Empires were cheaper than 1 Seaton Submersive. I have a hard time believing that 1 Seaton could compete with 2 Epik's.

Then my plate amp died and I replaced it with a Behringer NU6000DSP.

Now I have DSP control and more power than I know what to do with. Still cheaper than the 1 Seaton.
I am not afraid of the amp problems if I can buy an external amp to power the Epiks if the amps go bad. I just want a great sub and was trying to stay under $1k. Do you think 2 Epik Empires would best a Seaton Submersive HP w/2400 watt amp? I read on some forums that they would not. The HP I am getting was originally purchased in June 2014. I doubt a Seaton could beat 2 Conquests but I don't think I have enough room for two of those.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I am not afraid of the amp problems if I can buy an external amp to power the Epiks if the amps go bad. I just want a great sub and was trying to stay under $1k. Do you think 2 Epik Empires would best a Seaton Submersive HP w/2400 watt amp? I read on some forums that they would not. The HP I am getting was originally purchased in June 2014. I doubt a Seaton could beat 2 Conquests but I don't think I have enough room for two of those.
I think running a Seaton @ clip or 2 Empire's at clip would make your ears explode.

Even though the the individual woofer is better in the Seaton, there would be twice as many in the Empires.

I really like the balance 2 subs gave my room.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1231824-review-epik-empire-seaton-submersive-14.html#post18302824
If I had only purchased the Submersive to replace my DD-15, I would be raving about its tightness, musicality, HUGE output and the quality of the bass. It goes deep and it hits HARD. For its size it is amazing. It still costs less than my DD-15 and it blows it out of the water. However, the Empires do manage to deliver more output, which was a shock to me. They are cleaner at the same output level and they sound better to my ears than the Submersive does in my setup. A pair of them is larger than the Submersive, but one Empire is smaller than the Submersive.

At this point, it looks like I am keeping the Empires. They are the best bass I have ever heard. If dual Empires were the same price as the Submersive I would still buy them. The fact that they are $500 less is just an added bonus. For some people with less space or unlimited budgets, the SUbmersive may be a better option. For my situation, the Empires are perfect.
Never underestimate hype...or owners bias. ;)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have an Epik Conquest. Had it for the past 5 years no issues at all. Best investment I have made. Love my Epik Conquest.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If anyone is in need of a working Empire plate amp, let me know! I have 1 working amp and another that needs repair. I ended up replacing both with a new external amp so no longer need the plate amps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Epik blinking red light

Huge thread I'll try and sift through, but thought I'd ask for maybe a quicker response.

My Epik sub hasn't worked for some time. I finally decided to try and figure it out and noticed that the red light in back just continuously blinks. So it's getting power. I'm hoping it might be something simple like a fuse maybe, hopefully?

With Epik out of business, I'm sure you can appreciate my concern. Sub is probably 4 years old +/-

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Huge thread I'll try and sift through, but thought I'd ask for maybe a quicker response.

My Epik sub hasn't worked for some time. I finally decided to try and figure it out and noticed that the red light in back just continuously blinks. So it's getting power. I'm hoping it might be something simple like a fuse maybe, hopefully?

With Epik out of business, I'm sure you can appreciate my concern. Sub is probably 4 years old +/-
Which model do you have? My Empire doesn't have a fuse I'm aware of and I'd have no idea what to do otherwise myself when it comes to amps in terms of testing/repairing. However, you might contact member daveds50 for an amp repair quote. Or convert to an external amp or replace the plate amp.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the Empire.
And a lot of what you said is Greek to me unfortunately. I wouldn't know how to replace and amp, unless it was a plug & play type thing.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I have the Empire.
And a lot of what you said is Greek to me unfortunately. I wouldn't know how to replace and amp, unless it was a plug & play type thing.
Even the part about contacting @daveds50?

The amp is the plate where the switches and knobs are. It comes off with tools. You disconnect the wires from the terminals and send the amp to daveds50. He repairs. You pay. He sends back. You reconnect amp and use tools to put it back in place. Done. :cool:

It gets a little harder after that because the stock plate amp isn't around nor do I remember anyone finding an exact fit but you'd have to read back into the pages of this thread to check. You can also seal up the cavity and run leads to a dedicated sub amplifier like an iNuke1000dsp or similar. Doubtful the drivers are bad, just the amp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks! I'll definitely look up Dave.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
No problem, but now that I think about it the wires were not connected by connectors but rather had to cut the wires and butt splice the leads to the new amp (my Empire amp failed before Chad closed the doors). So the tools are philips for the screws on the plate amp plus wire cutter/stripper/crimp tool(s). I have a faint memory of daveds50 may have signed up recently for a commercial quantities deal where he is putting side repairs like this aside for a while but I'm not sure....

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Empire does actually have a fuse, at least both of mine did. The fuse is located right below where the power cord plugs in. There is a black plastic cover, pry it up with a screwdriver and pull up the fuse tray. Worth checking that first before you take the whole amp out and send it in

·
Registered
134 Posts
No problem, but now that I think about it the wires were not connected by connectors but rather had to cut the wires and butt splice the leads to the new amp (my Empire amp failed before Chad closed the doors). So the tools are philips for the screws on the plate amp plus wire cutter/stripper/crimp tool(s). I have a faint memory of daveds50 may have signed up recently for a commercial quantities deal where he is putting side repairs like this aside for a while but I'm not sure....
Wire strippers are simple enough. No problem there.
As long as I can use wire twist connectors to hook it back up. I'd rather not have to solder if possible.

Then again.... I guess I'll do whatever I gotta do. Cheaper than buying a new amp.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an Epik Sentinel that just started acting up. Sometime I turn it on, and the power light does not come on. If I unplug the power and the audio from the LFE jack for a few minutes, then try again, then it works. After several minutes, the sub stops working again.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I always start by looking at the caps on the power supply.

I have an Epik Sentinel that just started acting up. Sometime I turn it on, and the power light does not come on. If I unplug the power and the audio from the LFE jack for a few minutes, then try again, then it works. After several minutes, the sub stops working again.

Any suggestions?

20481 - 20500 of 21060 Posts