AVS Forum banner

20541 - 20560 of 21056 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
They may be able to repair the amp, too. External amp is as easy as running speaker wire from amp to driver, how you do that can vary.
Thanks. I think the Behringer NU3000DSP is the way I will go, but how is fan noise? This is in the media room and only used for movies. I'm just wondering if buying a new subwoofer for around $400 is a better option if there's a decent one at that range.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Thanks. I think the Behringer NU3000DSP is the way I will go, but how is fan noise? This is in the media room and only used for movies. I'm just wondering if buying a new subwoofer for around $400 is a better option if there's a decent one at that range.
They are fairly noisy from what I understand but there are many who have modded them, should be easy to find such threads in the diy subforum. If the fan noise is an issue and you don't need dsp (the Empire had a low end boost in the stock amp, don't know about the Phoenix) the Crown XLS gen 1 amps are on sale making way for gen 2 and I can confirm they run very quietly (I have three XLS1500s). You could use a miniDSP in conjunction with the XLS if needed (if Phoenix is ported you should use dsp).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Think I'm another on the way to a Behringer replacement amp for my Empire. It powers on and the light comes on. I think it is red, but not 100% sure (red/green colorblind issues). Amp warms up, but doesn't get hot (same as always).

I think I remember what it is supposed to do when powered on - Turn on red light, wait a few seconds, and then click and go to green. Is that correct? If so, I'm not getting the click, green light, or sound.

Ways to test? Amazon the place to get the Behringer?

Thanks all,
David

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
You having any particular amp issue, though? My light is off when unpowered, lit green when on (red in auto standby, but I don't use the auto position anymore, though, as I have it set to on full-time, and setup so it powers up/down with a smart power strip when the avr turns on/off....).

·
Registered
248 Posts
You having any particular amp issue, though? My light is off when unpowered, lit green when on (red in auto standby, but I don't use the auto position anymore, though, as I have it set to on full-time, and setup so it powers up/down with a smart power strip when the avr turns on/off....).
Well, lack of sound. It stays red even though I've got it set to On vs. Auto. I've also tried switching it over and back a few times. Still just a red light and no sound.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Well, lack of sound. It stays red even though I've got it set to On vs. Auto. I've also tried switching it over and back a few times. Still just a red light and no sound.
Gotcha, thought you were talking about a relay sound or something since you seemed more concerned about the light color, sorry. Sounds like the amp is done alright. You can test the driver....but the test for the amp in that it produces no sound whether set to auto or on should be sufficient. You might want to take the amp off and inspect to see if its something simple like an obviously blown cap or loose wire, etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
For anyone looking for a project, I also have a 2nd non-working Empire with a dead plate amp that I'd be willing to sell. I thought about trying a plate amp swap or converting it to passive and drive it with a Dayton Audio SA-1000 but for now have decided to move in a different direction.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The amp in one of my Empires flamed out (literally) yesterday - I am seriously lucky that the amp is in a sealed compartment and didn't have more oxygen. This has compelled me to pull the working amp out of the other Empire and power both subs with an external amp. Is the iNuke 6000 the best and quietest option or are there other alternatives to consider? Thanks!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was concerned about the iNuke fans- Is there a Crown model similar to the iNuke 6000 that would power a pair of Empires? I know nothing about these external amps and I hate to get rid of and replace the Empires if there's an affordable/reliable way to power them both. I may post some pictures of my amp that failed - I'm not going to use the 2nd working Empire with the stock amp - it's scary how bad it burnt.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
There are some good deals on the XLS gen 1 amps right now on closeout while they introduce the gen 2 series (1002/1502/2002/2502) but they don't have the dsp like the iNukeDSP series if that's the iNuke series you were thinking of. Probably the Crown XLS1500 would work fine, but if you want more power the 2000 isn't that much more....

·
Registered
739 Posts
There are some good deals on the XLS gen 1 amps right now on closeout while they introduce the gen 2 series (1002/1502/2002/2502) but they don't have the dsp like the iNukeDSP series if that's the iNuke series you were thinking of. Probably the Crown XLS1500 would work fine, but if you want more power the 2000 isn't that much more....
Would the XLS2500 be overkill for powering 2 Empires?

20541 - 20560 of 21056 Posts