AVS Forum banner

21041 - 21056 of 21056 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure if anyone checks in here anymore but I finally got tired of looking at the dead empire I had and decided to finally try the passive route. I spent the weekend going back and following Dreamliner's guide and was able to successfully complete the process. Thing is I still have one working and I can't get the passive setup to come anywhere close to the low-end of the working empire. I have tried two different amps. a Crown XLS 2000 and a Behringer ep4000. Things got a little better when I went back and tried the crown in bridged mono but still nothing in comparison to the original empire. I'll try the behringer in bridged but that just seems like over kill.

Any ideas on what I am missing?
I also noticed the same using a Crown amp for my Empire. Is there a way we can add something to get the boost at certain frequencies that the original Epik amp gave? Is this a place for a mini DSP?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I went back through the setup and I failed to make the correct connections on the speakon connection for bridged mode. I figured it out when I switched over to the ep4000. Once I made that correction, I went back and tried the crown. Sounds a lot better but everything comes alive with the ep4000 bridged so its an issue of not enough power (with the crown). Spec wise, the peak wattage is only 300 watts difference but i suspect the real difference is in the added 28lbs of weight the behringer has over the crown.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Aging gracefully...

Empire plate amp went out last week - lasted almost 8 years, which from what I've read, is almost some kind of record! Anyway, just got a NX3000D w/DSP; replaced one of the XLR recepts with a Speakon panel plug and wired the two speaker leads onto pins 1+/2+ while leaving the plate amp installed but completely bypassed. Expect to run the Behringer in bridge mode.

Two questions come up: 1.) Does anyone know the average dynamic impedance presented by the two 15" drivers connected in parallel (?)? and 2.) Does anyone have initial/baseline settings for the NX3000D so I don't have to "guess and mess" with all the filters/crossovers/dsp/limit settings to just get started with the NX3000D/Empire setup?
Not to brag, but my (2) Empires are still on their original amps and I picked them up in 2010 when they first came out. But I do expect them to eventually fail unless I proactively replace all those cheap capacitors or move on to another solution.

·
Registered
109 Posts

(sigh)..Forgive me father for I have sinned. I bragged of my amp longevity and you have taken it upon yourself to squash my boosting..
For on this day, I have lost one of my twins to the nether regions of non-functioning sound. I only pray that it is in a better place...Oh the shame of pride....
:(

Not to brag, but my (2) Empires are still on their original amps and I picked them up in 2010 when they first came out. But I do expect them to eventually fail unless I proactively replace all those cheap capacitors or move on to another solution.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I went back through the setup and I failed to make the correct connections on the speakon connection for bridged mode. I figured it out when I switched over to the ep4000. Once I made that correction, I went back and tried the crown. Sounds a lot better but everything comes alive with the ep4000 bridged so its an issue of not enough power (with the crown). Spec wise, the peak wattage is only 300 watts difference but i suspect the real difference is in the added 28lbs of weight the behringer has over the crown.
I've got the iNuke NU6000DSP. Now they have the NX6000D. Both have a DSP built in so you can bump the low end a bit. The iNuke is pretty ugly but it works fine. The EP & NX amps look much nicer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got the iNuke NU6000DSP. Now they have the NX6000D. Both have a DSP built in so you can bump the low end a bit. The iNuke is pretty ugly but it works fine. The EP & NX amps look much nicer. :rolleyes:
Since I am looking at moving to an external amp, does the NX series have a way for auto or sense turn on. My a/v gear is in another "room" and I have triggered turn on for my other amps

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Since I am looking at moving to an external amp, does the NX series have a way for auto or sense turn on. My a/v gear is in another "room" and I have triggered turn on for my other amps
I don’t know. The iNuke does NOT. There was a guide on another forum from someone who figured out how to add it with relays and such inside but I didn’t want to void my warranty. I used one of those “smart” power strips for awhile but didn’t like the sub thump it made. Now I just turn on the sub amp at my rack before I sit down. I do think all gear should have a remote trigger...I certainly wish the iNuke did...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don’t know. The iNuke does NOT. There was a guide on another forum from someone who figured out how to add it with relays and such inside but I didn’t want to void my warranty. I used one of those “smart” power strips for awhile but didn’t like the sub thump it made. Now I just turn on the sub amp at my rack before I sit down. I do think all gear should have a remote trigger...I certainly wish the iNuke did...
I have another issue is that I don't have any spare outlets in my rack. The 2 Empires out in my HT were on a separate circuit, so having the plate amps were beneficial from that standpoint. I still have one Empire working, but I took the failed amp out of the other one and the caps were crumbling..at least no fire..ugh

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi. So my Knight recently went on me, which is somewhat convenient since I just order a UM18-22 from P/E, and plan on building a marty. I think I got my sub in '07 (maybe early '08), so I got my money out of it. Rather than ditching the sub, I was thinking of just making the mod and use an external amp.

I need to buy an amp anyway, would it make sense to have my Marty and my knight on the same one? Can I do that? My room is around 2100^3 feet, dedicated behind screen speakers and sub.

Second question, how much power will the driver handle? I thought I read somewhere that the Knight and Castle (I think) are basically the same, but the Castle has a 500 watt plate amp, compared to the knight. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi. So my Knight recently went on me, which is somewhat convenient since I just order a UM18-22 from P/E, and plan on building a marty. I think I got my sub in '07 (maybe early '08), so I got my money out of it. Rather than ditching the sub, I was thinking of just making the mod and use an external amp.
Just grab a NX6000D or a iNuke NU6000DSP. They are both essentially 2x of their bridged 3000w amps. It’s more juice than the Epik needs but enough for the Ultimax. The built in DSP should also be helpful. If you ever wanted to swap the Epik for another Ultimax you already have the amp you need.

I’ve got the iNuke. I don’t plan to get rid of my dual Empires, but if I did, it would be to get a pair Ultimax subs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have another issue is that I don't have any spare outlets in my rack. The 2 Empires out in my HT were on a separate circuit, so having the plate amps were beneficial from that standpoint. I still have one Empire working, but I took the failed amp out of the other one and the caps were crumbling..at least no fire..ugh
Well after some equipment rack housekeeping I decided to get the Behringer NX3000d for my twin Empires. Should be here later today. I pulled the plate amps and decided to remove all the internal devices. I installed the Speakon connectors and ran new cables. Here are a few pics of the recently discarded amp pieces. Probably will do the fan mode as well.

Warning: Some users may find the below images disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised

This is the "good" amp board:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2688802&thumb=1

This is the "bad" amp board:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2688802&thumb=1

I pulled these caps off with my fingers on the "bad" amp board...ugh:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2688804&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a recently deceased great physical shape Epik Empire if anyone would like to donate to the shipping fund, it's yours. I picked up a couple replacement rythmiks, so I need to get rid of one of the boxes and this is the perfect way!

Message me if interested!

Edit: Well I guess I don't have enough posts to PM people, so email me at danpgregg (at) hotmail.com.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is an odd question, but does anyone have an Epik Subwoofer logo file? (jpg, png, whatever). I need it for a theater sign I am working on... And will use until they fail.

Also, and I will admit that I have not read all 700+ pages of this thread, but are the only things that are failing in these amps the capacitors?

·
Registered
212 Posts
My Legends are still running strong. Been using them in my mancave (small room about 10 x 12 and 9' ceiling) for close to 10 years or so. But I've been wanting to try ported subs as every time I go from my main setup where I have 15" ported subs, the mancave always seems a bit lacking in depth by comparison. So I decided to order a pair of SVS PB-1000s. I'm not looking for massive output, just a little more extension. Hopefully the PB-1000s deliver.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
I bought an empire back in 2013? used for $550. The amp makes clicking noises off and on. I thought it was the auto on/off, but I switched it to on and it still makes clicking noises. The amp is always hot. Still works and sounds great (except for the occasional clicking), but I'm getting rid of it and replacing it with a hsu vtf15h. I'm too old and have too much money to bother trying to fix it.

21041 - 21056 of 21056 Posts