AVS Forum banner

21061 - 21063 of 21063 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi all, been a while since I’ve posted here!

I have an Epik Legend with a dead amp that I’d like to get back to life. Been sitting in the original box since I moved 5 years ago! Most of the posts I’ve read are recommending amps for the Empire. For those with a Legend, what’s the best option currently? I’m open to a plate amp, and had considered the Yung SD300-6. However, in my new house, the sub in my living room needs to go into the right hand fully enclosed base cabinet. The cabinet on the left hand side has my amps and components, and some automated cooling fans built in. Is it a no-no to consider a plate amp replacement if the sub will be fully enclosed (I can cut some holes in the cabinet bottom at the toe kick but I’m afraid that won’t help much)? Is there a good but inexpensive standalone amp I should be considering? I have conduit between the two cabinets so can pull cables for either.

The other thing going through my mind is I’m tempted to build a new sub/enclosure to get huge output (and look doesn’t matter since it would be in the cabinet). Haven’t researched at all but I know parts express has some kits. Maybe it would cost a lot more now to buy a more powerful standalone amp (and if so I may not consider it), but obviously re-using a amp for this in the future would be great.

Any advice guys?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has any one measured the impedance of a single Empire driver?

I was under the assumption from everything I have read that these drivers are 8ohms each.

I put a meter on them tonight and I am getting 6 ohms. In parallel obviously, its 3 ohms then. Can anyone confirm this?

I am trying to wire up 4 Empires to my system and this threw a wrench in my calculations.

I'm not at all sure about this but I always assumed speaker ohnic ratings were based on a nominal impedance over their intended audio range. Applying a DC source (9V battery inside meter) to measure speaker impedance might not tell you much since 0 Hz is not an audio frequency. To the ohm meter the speaker motor circuit just looks like a long length of small wire.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi all, been a while since I’ve posted here!

I have an Epik Legend with a dead amp that I’d like to get back to life. Been sitting in the original box since I moved 5 years ago! Most of the posts I’ve read are recommending amps for the Empire. For those with a Legend, what’s the best option currently? I’m open to a plate amp, and had considered the Yung SD300-6. However, in my new house, the sub in my living room needs to go into the right hand fully enclosed base cabinet. The cabinet on the left hand side has my amps and components, and some automated cooling fans built in. Is it a no-no to consider a plate amp replacement if the sub will be fully enclosed (I can cut some holes in the cabinet bottom at the toe kick but I’m afraid that won’t help much)? Is there a good but inexpensive standalone amp I should be considering? I have conduit between the two cabinets so can pull cables for either.

The other thing going through my mind is I’m tempted to build a new sub/enclosure to get huge output (and look doesn’t matter since it would be in the cabinet). Haven’t researched at all but I know parts express has some kits. Maybe it would cost a lot more now to buy a more powerful standalone amp (and if so I may not consider it), but obviously re-using a amp for this in the future would be great.

Any advice guys?
I was in a similar spot. I thought about replacing the plate amp, but the plate amp on the legend is tiny. I couldn't find one that would fit without having to cut a bigger hole. Something I didn't want to do. I eventually just gave it away to one of my neighbors kids. They hooked up an external car amp and said it works fine. One option is parts express sells some plate amps and an external cage so you would basically attach the cage and plate amp to the back of the legend. It would have cost close to $230 which was too much to spend for a 7 year old sub I originally paid $399 for.

21061 - 21063 of 21063 Posts