AVS Forum banner

13661 - 13680 of 21060 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18935417

Yeah. That's mine. I got it new in the late 90s I think.

Set the speakers to "small" and crossover at 80Hz. Make sure you set the empire to allow the receiver crossover and NOT the subwoofer doing it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The xover thing in denon does not do anything. The same sound goes to the sub no matter if the denon is set for 80, 100, or 120. Because I can set denon for 80 and 100 or 120 and it doesn't affect the bass going to the sub. If the denon is set 80 or 120 it's the same sound. If using the sub cover at 120 it's the same sound as any of the 3 denon. If the sub is cover at 80 you can tell the difference. So I don't use the denon for that now that I know it doesn't work. 80 on the denon is the same as 120 on the sub xover. Well any of the 3 on the denon is actually in my opinion 120. Because any of the 3 on denon sound exactly the same. And 120 on sub xover is the exact same sound. Changing sub cover lower then 120 there's a difference. So I don't think it works from the denon being it puts out a 120hz setting only no matter what I choose.

I have the speakers always set for small.

Just watched the last 3 quarters of robin hood prince of thieves with Kevin kostner in hd 5.1 on one of the starz hd channels. Good bass. I turned up bass on denon to plus 4 and speakers are 0. Sub is 80hz using sub xover. Volume on back of sub is between 10-11. Speakers set small and the denon freq is at the 80 setting.

I could feel the bass on my bed which is like maybe , well my listening position is maybe 8 feet or so from the front right corner where the sub is. I'm on the left middle of wall where my bed is.

I always have to have sub level way more then speakers to enjoy and feel it cus I don't turn up the sound a ton being it's a smaller room. Only thing that sucks is there's a lot less bass in the middle of the room. Like you be in the middle and move a few inches to either side and you get more bass. Closer to left or right wall the bad increases. But middle of room is way less.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
buggs1a

Do you have an spl meter?

Normally, people set the crossover on the receiver to 80hz and rotate the know for the crossover on the subwoofer to its maximum setting.

Then when they do a level balance procedure on the receiver, they adjust the subwoofer to be 3 to 5 dbs hot (louder than the other speakers).

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yeah I do have the Radio shack digital spl I got many years ago. I'll get to it some day. I just not sure I care much to mess with that stuff. I mean for me it's fine leaving the speakers at 0 on my avr and setting the sub to whatever sounds fine at the time. My room might be too bad for getting technical with like setting levels and all that specific stuff. I've got hard surfaces and no sound stuff on the walls and so forth.

I do know I really want the same bass everywhere in my room and i want it to make my ears warm and sound like umm, deeper or something. Not really sure. It sounds the way it does right now and there's more bass when i'm closer to the left wall on my bed when listening or watching. Then as said before in middle of the room the bass goes like way down. Is this maybe called a void or something?

What i think would be nice is to make my room suitable for home theater first and foremost keeping my bed where it is and one dresser where it is.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/0

Yeah I do have the Radio shack digital spl I got many years ago. I'll get to it some day. I just not sure I care much to mess with that stuff. I mean for me it's fine leaving the speakers at 0 on my avr and setting the sub to whatever sounds fine at the time. My room might be too bad for getting technical with like setting levels and all that specific stuff. I've got hard surfaces and no sound stuff on the walls and so forth.

I do know I really want the same bass everywhere in my room and i want it to make my ears warm and sound like umm, deeper or something. Not really sure. It sounds the way it does right now and there's more bass when i'm closer to the left wall on my bed when listening or watching. Then as said before in middle of the room the bass goes like way down. Is this maybe called a void or something?

What i think would be nice is to make my room suitable for home theater first and foremost keeping my bed where it is and one dresser where it is.

Wow a ton of mumble jumble in this post. It's called a null where you are not getting bass.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18936245

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a /forum/post/18936245

. I just not sure I care much to mess with that stuff.

buggs, why would you go and get a nice sub like an Empire and then not want to be bothered to take the steps to set it up to sound it's best? That's just not logical. You should realize that a crappy $200 sub that is set up and adjusted properly would sound better than your nice new Empire.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/18936842

buggs, why would you go and get a nice sub like an Empire and then not want to be bothered to take the steps to set it up to sound it's best? That's just not logical. You should realize that a crappy $200 sub that is set up and adjusted properly would sound better than your nice new Empire.

Just let it go. Don't start stirring it, it's going to stink.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It sounds good. I'm sure it can do better. I don't mind messing with the spl meter and all that. I may have just been tired when I wrote my last post.

I can't afford a new avr till I pay off the sub and my m&k speakers. I'll get one though and use it's auto setup for sure.

I'm not sure what bass should sound like specially in my room. I just go by what I hear that I think is ok. However yes I want to do better and do right.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Buggs,

Your not going to hear a difference in 80, 100, 120hz if it's not set up properly. Play the same track on a cd and move your sub around. Leave the gain/volume on the Empire at 12"oclock. Crossover on the sub max at 120hz. I remember your room is about the same size as mine. In my room, front corners were the best spots. I hate to see an awesome sub going to waste because it's not set up properly. Epik subs are plug and play. One of the simplest subs to set up. Just imagine if you had purchased the svs pc-12. That would be a nightmare for you.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'll use all advice given and listen to all of you. I'm thinking it's a good idea if I showed a picture of my room. I'll try this and say that I can do anything in my room except I want the bed and one dressor to stay where they are.

As of right now I can only have the sub in the front right corner where it's at now. However I fan move one big dressor/whatever it's called that's in from left corner.

It is good idea to put sub on my bed and listen from the available spots for the sub?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well, for the Subcrawl test, you'd want to put the Empire...on the floor...at the spot where "most" of your listening time will be spent. So you will have to move the bed. Dressers and drawers, if their location or presence is not subject to change, you can keep those in place as they are apart of the listening environment. Then play some bass filled conent music your famaliar with and walk around the room listening for the spot where it sounds best. Room corners included. That will be the spot where you'd want to place the Empire.

My room is not a designated HT room, nor is it sealed, and it's quite large and shared, so listening while moving around my room, the bass response will sound different.

You would also want to use the spl meter to level match the Empire to your main speakers.

eg each speaker other than Empire registers 75db at the listening position. The Empire should match also 75db. Or a little more according to personal taste. A newer receiver would automatically perform this task for you. Pioneer has some "reasonably" priced receivers starting at $299. Best Buy. Heck you can demo and see what you like.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
respectfully request some members think twice before posting?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks everyone. Chad has given me some info as well.

My denon xover setting works now. I just changed from 80 to 120 and got a different sound. More upper bass. So I set it back to 80 and made sure all speakers are set to small. So I'm glad I got one thing out of the way.

Next I'll try to move my bed and place the sub where I do most of my listening and see how it sounds around the room.

Would it be ok to run my velodyne cht-10 in the othr font corner at the same time as my empire? It sounds clean and goes to right at 30hz or a couple lower with a 10" 180watt rms amp.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Sell the velodyne cht-10. Don't mix them as your room is OK with just the Empire.

Bill

13661 - 13680 of 21060 Posts