AVS Forum banner

20081 - 20100 of 20173 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
So I am also looking at the Epsons. But I do not see much difference between the 2015 5040 and the 2020 5050 models other than price.
The new model supports HDMI 2.0 with 18Gbps, which is required for HDR @60fps.
I also do not see as many controls for calibration as some ISF certified projectors. 8 point greyscale seems very inadequate for a 2020 projector. Is there a hidden service mode with more settings?
I am not aware of any way to adjust more points. Note the these 8 points do not even provide independent adjustments for R/G/B, so they are only for gamma and not for greyscale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In the Video Modes screen on XBox, you need to tick the "Allow YCC 4:2:2" option like in this screenshot:
View attachment 3035612

Note that 4k 2:2:2 12-bit HDR will still only work if the apps will transmit at 24hz since that's the only way it fits with the 10Gbps limitation. I think Netflix will only do 60hz so HDR won't work anyway. Sucks...
Thank you. I wonder if it will play games with HDR at 24hz since most games are at 60hz i believe?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The new model supports HDMI 2.0 with 18Gbps, which is required for HDR @60fps.

I am not aware of any way to adjust more points. Note the these 8 points do not even provide independent adjustments for R/G/B, so they are only for gamma and not for greyscale.
Well that's discouraging. That and the inflated MSRP from Canadian suppliers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a simple question: How many inches is the Epson 5040UB lens in front of the center, where the pole would be for a mount?

I'm asking because I'm ceiling hanging a Benq W1070 that I'm guessing still has a few years of life in it, and I'm trying to choose my mounting location so that a future upgrade projector would work in the same location. The Benq W1070 lens is 4.05" in front of the center of the mounting point, for what it's worth. I'm guessing the Epson is more, e.g. 6 or 7"? But I can't find a schematic for the Epson like Benq includes in its manual.

I have a ceiling joist about 12'7" from the screen wall. That puts the Benq lens about 12'3" from the screen. The Epson 5050 UB (I'm guessing 5040 is the same) must be at least 11'8" from the screen. So I guess my question is, is the Epson lens less than 11" in front of the center of the mounting point, i.e. where the pole would be? Surely the answer must be yes, but I just want to be totally sure. (And yes, there's a separate issue which is that the Benq lens is offset laterally, whereas the Epson lens is centered, which would mean either moving the ceiling mount laterally or using horizontal lens shift in the Epson.)

EDIT: Found a schematic here, Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread (also attached)
88332cc4e593817e1bfac2f35b083053.jpg
. There are nine attachment points. Assuming the midpoint/pole is centered, the pole midpoint to lens front distance is ~25.35 cm or 9.98 inches. Gulp, that's uncomfortably close to the 11 inches I have available, but I guess the good news is if my estimations are right, I've got a solid inch of wiggle room.

EDIT 2: Checked the JVC DLA-RS40, lens to screen minimum distance 12'1" and again no schematic in the user manual or on the manufacturer page (why would high-end projector manufacturers not provide these while Benq does?), this one is likely to be close, or a no go, at that mounting location, too.

That's the last ceiling joist before the rear wall (the room is only 14.5' deep), but I do have the option of putting some blocking in the ceiling and positioning the projector a few more inches back if necessary (and the Benq can handle that, too).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you use the projector calculator, to see what size picture will you get from that distance with this Epson? I had the Ht2050A before, and I had to move the Epson quite a distance(~3') back to have the same 120" screen size. I'm at 15'.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Did you use the projector calculator, to see what size picture will you get from that distance with this Epson? I had the Ht2050A before, and I had to move the Epson quite a distance(~3') back to have the same 120" screen size. I'm at 15'.
I did. As you're presumably aware, a projector calculator tells you lens to screen distance. That's how I determined that for my 119" 16:9 screen, the 5040's lens would need to be 11'8" or more away from the screen. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the distance is from the 5040's lens to the center of the mounting point, i.e the center of where the pole would be, so I can figure out what mount location would/wouldn't work.

The problem is that the Benq W1070 is a relatively short-throw projector. So I'm trying to position it fairly far back in its range, so that more typical throw projectors--like the Epson 5040--would still work, if/when I end up replacing the Benq.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think I've figured things out.

My room is 14'5" deep.

The Benq lens must be 10' to 12'11" from the screen, and its mounting point is 4" from the lens front, i.e. it must be mounted 10'4" to 13"3" from the screen.

The Epson lens must be 11'8" to 12'3" from the screen, with the latter number calculated not based on throw, but on Epson's specified minimum of 8" from any wall (in this case, the back wall). The Epson lens is 10" in front of the mounting point, so it must be mounted between 12'6 and 13'1".

Yet another projector, the JVC DLA-RS40, is an inch deeper than the Epson, so I'm going to want to give myself a little wiggle room off the back wall, i.e. push the projector a tad closer to the screen in the acceptable range, to keep my options open for upgrades.

So basically I want to be at least an inch, maybe two or three, in front of 13"1", i.e. the projector pole should be centered at 13' or 12'11" or 12'10" from the screen. This will work for the Benq and maximize my upgrade options.

Separately, the Benq lens is offset 2.67 laterally, so either I'd have to use horizontal lens shift on an upgrade projector or I have to be prepared to move the mount laterally. It so happens that Chief makes a nice mount that slides, intended to be able to adjust the depth but it'll work nicely oriented laterally instead.

Thanks for letting me work that out here! Only partially relevant to this thread, obviously.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought the new 5050ub to replace my Panasonic PT-AE8000.

HUGE IMPROVEMENT in detail. Brighter, clearer, amazing contrast. It's like you are in the room with them. I can't stop smiling.

Switching out the two projectors takes about 3 minutes. Same power cord. Stick in the HDMI. And you're done. I did go on the projectorreviews.com site that came up first on Google to see what settings a reviewer recommended. They were all good except for he went too far with his overall gamma changes. It took about 10 minutes to figure out where to find everything. Never RTFM. Probably never will.

I showed my wife some 4K stuff from YouTube, and her comment was it was “clearer than real life”. Endeavor looked fantastic. No wonder they've been out for three years and still sell for full retail.
I just did the same and upgraded to a NVidia Shield. It's awesome so far. What settings did you use.

Also, what do I do with my 5040UBrick that died 2 months out of warranty?!?! Any way to repair these at all yet when out of warranty? I sometime miss my old repairable CRT.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Before you throw it out, I would take if of your hand, and I would look at it, to see what is keep failing in these.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The last couple of times I've gone to turn my projector on, it starts with the loud fan and flashing blue light and then after a few minutes goes to a flashing orange light. It seems to stay like this and I can't turn it off via the remote and need to unplug the power plug. When I plug it back in and turn it on, it repeats but then comes back on. Weird.
I did clean the filter about a month or so ago, might try this again.
Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Why do 4k HDR movies look so washed out on this PJ? I tried some settings suggested here like Harpervision but the colors are off compared to my Sony X900E HDR TV. Anyway to solve this issue other than getting a new projector? Would adding an HDFury Linker, Vertex or Integral 2 help with HDR color? I only have 400 hours on the UB5040 and have an extra lamp so I would like to keep using it for many years to come.

My receiver is the Yamaha RX-A2070 and HDMI is set to Mode 1. Video mode is set to Processing, but all the supported video output resolution are grayed out except for AUTO. Anyone using a Yamaha paired to the same PJ that can point me as to why the supported video resolution are grayed out? Thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Try the Panny 420. After you get it, I'll send you my setting that I use and for me they are just right.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The 420 goes for $160 @ Best Buy.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Try the Panny 420. After you get it, I'll send you my setting that I use and for me they are just right.
Thanks, I appriciate the offer. I use mostly streamers that support Kodi. I have Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, FireTv 4K, Nero 4k+ and Samsung UBD-K8500 for occasional discs. I am looking for a solution that I can use with all my streaming boxes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Where do you you all get your replacement lamps? I got my 5040 about 2 months ago and am using it A LOT more than expected. Want to go ahead and do my research for maintenance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use mostly streamers that support Kodi. I have Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, FireTv 4K, Nero 4k+ and Samsung UBD-K8500 for occasional discs.
@Alex solomon : Are you able to get 24hz/30hz 4:2:2 12-bit from any of the streaming apps on these devices? I have tried an Xbox One S and a FireStick 4k and am only able to get that from Plex on XBox One S. However, Plex seems to have reliability / buffering problems on XBox One :(.

For the FireStick 4k, I am able to get:
  • Netflix: 4K 60hz 4:2:0 8-bit (presumably Netflix only streams at 60 hz so this is prob the best possible)
  • Amazon Prime Video: 4K 24hz 4:4:4 8-bit
  • Plex: 4K 24hz 4:4:4 8-bit (no 12-bit)
  • Kodi: 4k 24hz 8-bit
In particular, I want to know if the NVidia Shield would do any better in terms of the goal of getting 24hz/30hz 4:2:2 12-bit video, and if it's worth the extra $$ over the Fire Stick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes that's what I've understood as well. I just noticed from this post:
(see post #8)
that 4k24hz seems to have stopped working properly for the Amazon video app on XBox. If that's the case, that's likely why I can't get it working.

If anyone else is using the Amazon video app on xbox, if they could chime in that would be great!
I stream from an Xbox One S, and the Prime Video app will only play at 60Hz now. It used to do 24hz, but believe they dropped the 24hz support during a recent update. I fiddled with everything I could, and called Prime Video support; to no avail. If anyone else has figured it out, I'm all ears, but think it's due to the app itself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Before you throw it out, I would take if of your hand, and I would look at it, to see what is keep failing in these.
I'll keep that in mind. Better than junking it. Maybe I'll see what epson has to say, but it sound like repairs are running more than the refurb price from a couple months ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to home theater so bear with me if I am missing anything. I am trying to get the best picture out of a setup with Fire TV 4K (with disney plus), HD fury linker, yamaha tsr-7850, and 5040ube. Without the linker, I can get 4k60 420 8bit from FireTV 4K (the yamaha is pass through so I think that we can ignore it). With linker between tsr-7850 and 5040ube, I can't get 4k at all, even with the preset 3 (I am not using the wireless adapter, opting for a monoprice 30 ft 18Gbps active hdmi cable). It just seems like that firetv does not detect a compatible mode and revert to 1080p instead. I thought that linker preset 3 would work out of box for this projector. So what I am doing wrong? I did customize edid a bit though I also tried with holding reset and press input 3 times to get to preset 3.

Also with firetv 4k, what is the best display quality I can get (assuming with the help of the linker)? I did use firetv's hidden resolution to manually forcing 4k24 but it does not survive restarting.

Thank you!

20081 - 20100 of 20173 Posts