AVS Forum banner

20101 - 20120 of 20173 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
@Alex solomon : Are you able to get 24hz/30hz 4:2:2 12-bit from any of the streaming apps on these devices? I have tried an Xbox One S and a FireStick 4k and am only able to get that from Plex on XBox One S. However, Plex seems to have reliability / buffering problems on XBox One :(.

For the FireStick 4k, I am able to get:
  • Netflix: 4K 60hz 4:2:0 8-bit (presumably Netflix only streams at 60 hz so this is prob the best possible)
  • Amazon Prime Video: 4K 24hz 4:4:4 8-bit
  • Plex: 4K 24hz 4:4:4 8-bit (no 12-bit)
  • Kodi: 4k 24hz 8-bit
In particular, I want to know if the NVidia Shield would do any better in terms of the goal of getting 24hz/30hz 4:2:2 12-bit video, and if it's worth the extra $$ over the Fire Stick.
I set the Nvidia to output 4K @ 23.976hz with match color space set to on and I get 4:2:2 12-bit video on the Epson.
For me, the AI upscaling on Shield 2019 Pro is worth upgrading from Nvidia 2017 (which I still have) let alone the FireTV since I have a vast library of 720p and 1080p movies. I don't use the FireTV with the EPSON projector anymore. It has been moved to the bedroom and mated with Sony 900E HDR TV.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Where do you you all get your replacement lamps? I got my 5040 about 2 months ago and am using it A LOT more than expected. Want to go ahead and do my research for maintenance.
I've got right at 3000 hours on my factory lamp, and just ordered my replacement from Pureland Supply, Epson Home Cinema 5040UB Projector Lamps | Home Cinema 5040UB Bulbs | Pureland Supply. I've had good experience ordering from them in the past for my previous projector, and they're a fair bit cheapter than the Epson branded lamp. They use the OEM (OSRAM) bulb in a generic but well made housing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
@Alex solomon : Are you able to get 24hz/30hz 4:2:2 12-bit from any of the streaming apps on these devices? I have tried an Xbox One S and a FireStick 4k and am only able to get that from Plex on XBox One S. However, Plex seems to have reliability / buffering problems on XBox One :(.

For the FireStick 4k, I am able to get:
  • Netflix: 4K 60hz 4:2:0 8-bit (presumably Netflix only streams at 60 hz so this is prob the best possible)
  • Amazon Prime Video: 4K 24hz 4:4:4 8-bit
  • Plex: 4K 24hz 4:4:4 8-bit (no 12-bit)
  • Kodi: 4k 24hz 8-bit
In particular, I want to know if the NVidia Shield would do any better in terms of the goal of getting 24hz/30hz 4:2:2 12-bit video, and if it's worth the extra $$ over the Fire Stick.
I can play 4k 23.97hz hdr on Netflix with Shield.

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I set the Nvidia to output 4K @ 23.976hz with match color space set to on and I get 4:2:2 12-bit video on the Epson.
For me, the AI upscaling on Shield 2019 Pro is worth upgrading from Nvidia 2017 (which I still have) let alone the FireTV since I have a vast library of 720p and 1080p movies. I don't use the FireTV with the EPSON projector anymore. It has been moved to the bedroom and mated with Sony 900E HDR TV.
I can play 4k 23.97hz hdr on Netflix with Shield.
Awesome, thanks for the confirmations @Alex solomon and @westbergjoakim !

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for some help. Pulling my hair out. Been using Harpervision and Oledurts settings for 4k discs. Thought I understood things but now confused. I have firecube, Denon AVR and also have 70" 1080p tv. The way I have it set up my firecube is tricked from my tv and auto sends 1080p SDR to the 5040. I like using Natural setting and been watching netflix, Disney plus, etc this way. I had tv accidentally unplugged and was watching The Boys and Star Wars and noticed so dark. Figured out firecube was sending 1080p HDR which is why it is so dark. My question is when getting a HDR signal and then setting dynamic range in 5040 to SDR to make it lighter, what is that doing? I assume that is not good to do and it is not the same as getting signal in as SDR signal? I like Natural setting and I know I don't get P3 then. I guess what are my options? If a person doesn't want to use HDR settings like Harpervision, etc., how does one convert incoming HDR to SDR. Also to add to my confusion I read how on Disney plus the Star Wars and Mandalorian aren't true HDR but instead are SDR wrapped in HDR wrapper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What would be best streaming devices for Prime/Disney Plus, etc. where you can stream 4k and turn off HDR. It looks like the Firecube won't do it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What would be best streaming devices for Prime/Disney Plus, etc. where you can stream 4k and turn off HDR. It looks like the Firecube won't do it.
If you read a few pages back you'll see a some discussion around this. I opted for the Shield TV pro which can do either 4k60 SDR or 4k 24hz HDR using it's 'match frame rate' feature. Works great!

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you read a few pages back you'll see a some discussion around this. I opted for the Shield TV pro which can do either 4k60 SDR or 4k 24hz HDR using it's 'match frame rate' feature. Works great!
Does it also do hdr to SDR tonemapping?

I see the following in 8.2 release notes

‘Adds HDR to SDR color tone mapping’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am getting a Panasonic 420 and have researched settings people used such as Bt2020 SDR, etc. But I can't seem to find if most still use the curves with it such as Harpervision, Oledurt, etc. Are the curves still necessary with the 420's SDR and Optimizer on? How about when using Natural mode? (which I know I lose P3). Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does it also do hdr to SDR tonemapping?

I see the following in 8.2 release notes

‘Adds HDR to SDR color tone mapping’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've not really looked too much into it but I'm assuming yes as when a 4K HDR 60hz source is played, it outputs in SDR REC 709 so must be doing the tonemapping. I've used my 'Natural' settings with this and looks good. But I rarely do that as I prefer using 'match frame rate' and using the Harpervision settings for 4K HDR 24hz.

I am getting a Panasonic 420 and have researched settings people used such as Bt2020 SDR, etc. But I can't seem to find if most still use the curves with it such as Harpervision, Oledurt, etc. Are the curves still necessary with the 420's SDR and Optimizer on? How about when using Natural mode? (which I know I lose P3). Thanks
Will come down to preference but the beauty of the BT2020 SDR is that if you like your 'Natural' setting, you can then use this for that source as well as 1080p bluray. I am using a 'Digital Cinema' mode with BT2020 SDR using custom curves and it looks very good, however if I want a bit more brightness I'll just use Natural.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brettmckinney, So with Panasonic with using Natural you use near stock setting, no gamma curve that you use for 1080p SDR?
Can you provide where you might have listed your curves for Digital Cinema? Thanks
·

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I know a lot of folks here are using a Panasonic UB420/820/9000 with these projectors, mainly for the HDR Optimizer. I also assume at least a few have had theirs ISF Calibrated. Is anyone still using HDR Optimizer after an ISF Calibration with a specific calibration saved for HDR content? I just had my 4000 calibrated (there's not much activity in the 4000 thread) and I thought I'd ask if anyone is still using HDR Optimizer post-calibration and, if so, what settings? More/less on any specific setting?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recently upgraded to surround sound from my powered bookshelf speakers. I am new to the AVR game. It is neat how it can control so many devices, but my problem is with the 5040UBe wireless HD box. The AVR (Denon X3300w) turns off the wireless box when I turn off the projector. I do not want this to happen. Besides completely disabling HDMI control, is there a way to prevent this? Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Who/Where does everyone recommend for replacement lamps?
Thanks,
RG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Who/Where does everyone recommend for replacement lamps?
Thanks,
RG
👆 A few posts above has a recommendation from Dark Rider:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I recently got an LCD flat panel for my bedroom and I’m blown away by how good everything looks when converted to Dolby Vision by Apple TV. It makes my Epson 5040 feel pretty lackluster in my room with only moderate light control. This is a hopeless pursuit, right? The 5040 nor any projector under $5k is going to provide spectacular HDR without being in a very dark room.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I recently got an LCD flat panel for my bedroom and I’m blown away by how good everything looks when converted to Dolby Vision by Apple TV. It makes my Epson 5040 feel pretty lackluster in my room with only moderate light control. This is a hopeless pursuit, right? The 5040 nor any projector under $5k is going to provide spectacular HDR without being in a very dark room.
Not in my case. Using my 420 does very good when viewing HDR. Have never seen "Spectacular" HDR.

Reactions: by96
20101 - 20120 of 20173 Posts