AVS Forum banner

20141 - 20160 of 20257 Posts

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
These are some of the most well-regarded settings... still, they're a jumping-off point, not gospel. You may need to make adjustments based on your screen color/gain, throw-distance, ambient lighting, latitude/longitude, political affiliation, cholesterol, and zodiac sign.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
These are some of the most well-regarded settings... still, they're a jumping-off point, not gospel. You may need to make adjustments based on your screen color/gain, throw-distance, ambient lighting, latitude/longitude, political affiliation, cholesterol, and zodiac sign.
Thanks mate.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
At 1008 pages, this isn't the easiest thread to find past posts in... even knowing what I was looking for, it took a minute.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Last night while watching a movie, my HC 4000 suddenly lost light, shut off, closed lens cover, showed solid-orange LAMP light, blinking blue STATUS light, and power light off with fan running at full speed. Projector is refurbished, around 3 months old, and has ~600 hours on the bulb. I cleaned the filter (not really notably dirty) and re-seated the lamp which, under inspected, looked fine (no haze, discoloration, or broken filaments). Several unplugging and restarting would open shutter but not produce light, then after 2-4 minutes close the lens cover and give the same status/lamp/power light combination.

Epson shipped out a replacement bulb today after a brief phone call and said they would replace it if the bulb swap doesn't fix it. What is the likelihood it's actually the bulb (no visible signs of damage/defect/failure), or is it more likely to be the common power-supply failure (even though it's a 3-month-old refurb)?

I'm asking here because there's a lot more visibility than in the 4000 thread, and these are identical projectors, other than the UB panels.

Thanks in advance.
Replacement bulb from Epson arrived today... 5 calendar days after calling, 3 business days. Popped it in and it fired right up.

Once I got it fired up, I double-checked the lamp hours for the blown bulb and it was under 500 hours. I know this kind of things happens, but this is the first time I've had a bulb actually fail (as opposed to just dimming to the point of needing replacement). It makes me wonder if it wasn't replaced during the refurbishment and the lamp hours were simply reset... Even though the new bulb doesn't appear materially brighter than the one it replaced.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Omigosh me too! I got hooked again on Forza 7 PC with my Logitech wheel. Playing video games on a scope screen is just amazing and the colours on this PJ just pop!
Hmmmm I always thought that it would just look better no matter what with HDR. I'll have to try it without it and see what I think.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen this problem with PowerLite Home Cinema 6500ub and Epson PowerLite 8350 models where mirrors inside overtime with heat move and causes the band effect on the bottom or top. I personally fixed once for PowerLite Home Cinema 6500ub and problem came back again after 3 years of usage. I know how to fix for PowerLite Home Cinema 6500ub but not getting enough time to bring it down and work on it.

may be this video might help you
I missed this reply--thanks!

Shifted lens or mirrors due to heat does make sense. Had a couple of hot days recently.

That video is helpful. It also made me break out in sweats--that looks like a huge PITA. He basically took the entire thing apart to push the lens back in place, then put it all back together. Whew!

I may just let it be. The letterboxing in movies covers most of it, but it is annoying on bright and non-letterboxed scenes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lens shift question: I searched for an answer on this thread but came up empty.

I am hoping to buy a used 5040UB and need to know the limits for the horizontal shift. My lens will be on a shelf 68" to the left of the center of the screen which will be 96" wide. Assuming I don't need but 25% of the vertical shift, will this likely work for me? I read this on the 5030UB page so it makes me think I should be fine "The lens shift has a total range of 3 image heights and 2 image widths, with the middle position putting the center of the lens at the center of the screen."

The lens shift for the 5030 appears to have a similar range to the 5040. Is there a calculator for this to tell for sure?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Lens shift question: I searched for an answer on this thread but came up empty.

I am hoping to buy a used 5040UB and need to know the limits for the horizontal shift. My lens will be on a shelf 68" to the left of the center of the screen which will be 96" wide. Assuming I don't need but 25% of the vertical shift, will this likely work for me? I read this on the 5030UB page so it makes me think I should be fine "The lens shift has a total range of 3 image heights and 2 image widths, with the middle position putting the center of the lens at the center of the screen."

The lens shift for the 5030 appears to have a similar range to the 5040. Is there a calculator for this to tell for sure?
Placed links in this post.

A more detailed description of the room can help.

A lot of projectors can project from the edge of the screen. That is top or bottom.
If you're referring to side edge, I don't think it exists.
Depending on the model, using lens shift may deteriorate the image.
Keystone is software and not recommended.

Epson 4/5/6000 series in US/Canada and TW7000/9000 elsewhere (maybe some older models from other manufacturers) have a good amount of lens shift.
After inputting the diagonal at the bottom of the screen there is section called lens shift:

The series is also has good lenses and reportedly no noticeable distortions when used close to 100%.

When using both vertical and horizontal lens shift the range decreases. Use this calculator:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
why would a scope screen affect video games? they aren't in 2.40:1.
Yes they are, if you own a PC you can
why would a scope screen affect video games? they aren't in 2.40:1.
Yes they are if you have a PC. You can custom set a resolution to match the 2.4:1 screen (2560x1080). 33% more screen width is amazing for gaming and one of the reasons I'm hesitant to get a PS5 and not just upgrade my graphics card.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I missed this reply--thanks!

Shifted lens or mirrors due to heat does make sense. Had a couple of hot days recently.

That video is helpful. It also made me break out in sweats--that looks like a huge PITA. He basically took the entire thing apart to push the lens back in place, then put it all back together. Whew!

I may just let it be. The letterboxing in movies covers most of it, but it is annoying on bright and non-letterboxed scenes.
I field-stripped 8350s a few times. But I had a backup unit in place. The 5040 et al series is a completely different playing field. I've studied the exploded diagrams and just kinda turn back! Maybe once the lid is off I'd change my mind but for now, with no backup 5040, hands off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great info, @noob00224 thank you. It it frustrating that that comment from Projector Central is wrong "The lens shift has a total range of 3 image heights and 2 image widths, with the middle position putting the center of the lens at the center of the screen." This calculator shows less than 1 image width of horizontal shift.

I appreciate you sharing the info and links.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and got a new graphics card for my PC and decided to hold off on the PS5 for now since I game on a scope screen. For those gamers here, what video settings do you use to send to the projector?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Is there any way to stop this whirling high pitched sound when high power is on? It’s driving me crazy. Is it a bad fan or something?

FYI Epson support said it's likely an internal issue and they're sending me a new one to swap. I hope there aren't other issues with the new one.... the PQ on my current one is perfect and I have heard horror stories of blotches and stuff in the lens.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,164 Posts
FYI Epson support said it's likely an internal issue and they're sending me a new one to swap. I hope there aren't other issues with the new one.... the PQ on my current one is perfect and I have heard horror stories of blotches and stuff in the lens.
You could have sent your unit in for repair instead of playing refurb roulette I've done that.

20141 - 20160 of 20257 Posts