AVS Forum banner

20161 - 20180 of 20257 Posts

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,164 Posts
then I would be without a projector during all that time. We use it daily, and most of my equipment is hooked to it. I mean if the new one has bad issues I'll just send that one back too.
Which is Refurb Roulette your choice...

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
If you let them authorize your card to cross-ship, it's usually only 3 business days for shipping, right? I was gearing up to start the process with my 4000, but the replacement bulb fixed it. Now I'm just waiting for run-in time before I have the ISF come out and re-check everything with the new bulb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been testing my current firestick 4k and comparing with a newly purchased Nvidia shield stick 2019 with my 5040UB. Essentially it boils down to the following options for Netflix 4K:
Firestick 4k (no option to force 24hz)
SDR: 4:2:0 8bit BT.709 60hz
HDR: 4:2:0 8bit BT.2020 60hz
Shield
SDR: 4:2:2 12bit BT.709 24hz or 4:2:0 (YUV) 8bit 709 60hz or 4:4:4 (RGB) 8bit 709 24-30hz (from what I understand, the latter is the better option for SDR)
HDR: 4:2:2 12bit BT.2020 24hz, no HDR at 60hz

What are the advantages for upgrading to the shield? is it just for the manual ability to switch to 12 bit HDR at 24hz?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you let them authorize your card to cross-ship, it's usually only 3 business days for shipping, right? I was gearing up to start the process with my 4000, but the replacement bulb fixed it. Now I'm just waiting for run-in time before I have the ISF come out and re-check everything with the new bulb.
I called them two days ago and my new projector will be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone else ever have issues with the lens memory not going back to the exact spot it was saved in? I like to switch from 2.39:1 to 16:9 frequently depending on what content I am watching. I have both lens positions saved where I want them but many times when I click the button to change aspect ratios, it always stops a few pixels off from where it should be.

Is the lens memory not perfect and this is common? Or is my projector somehow moving slightly? Any ideas? It is annoying having to go back and adjust the lens shift all the time.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I asked the same question a month or two back. The response I got was basically you have to "sneak up" on your lens position when setting it. Make slow, small movements in a single direction and if you over-shoot, back up and approach it from that same direction slowly again. This approach hasn't made mine 100% perfect at finding it every time it's recalled, but it has got it 95% of the way there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I asked the same question a month or two back. The response I got was basically you have to "sneak up" on your lens position when setting it. Make slow, small movements in a single direction and if you over-shoot, back up and approach it from that same direction slowly again. This approach hasn't made mine 100% perfect at finding it every time it's recalled, but it has got it 95% of the way there.
That makes almost no sense why that would help, but I'll try it.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
If you're making large/fast movements and stopping quickly, it's apparently more difficult for the included circuitry to exactly index the point you're stopping it. If you're adjusting in multiple directions, there seems to be some play in the motor, gearing, belts, etc. that has to be taken up before it can again accurately index the location. It isn't super intuitive at first glance, but after listening to how the mechanism sounds during large movements vs. smaller movements and reversal of direction I can justify it in my head to a certain degree... but I'm just an Aerospace Engineer, so what do I know?

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,164 Posts
If you're making large/fast movements and stopping quickly, it's apparently more difficult for the included circuitry to exactly index the point you're stopping it. If you're adjusting in multiple directions, there seems to be some play in the motor, gearing, belts, etc. that has to be taken up before it can again accurately index the location. It isn't super intuitive at first glance, but after listening to how the mechanism sounds during large movements vs. smaller movements and reversal of direction I can justify it in my head to a certain degree... but I'm just an Aerospace Engineer, so what do I know?
Do the competing JVCs and Sonys with this feature also work oddly like this?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Probably a pretty apt analogy.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
HELP!! My Epson 5040UB has developed some green cast on the right side of the screen , which only visible on white background like snow, gray-scale ramp etc. Is this something I can fix or should I call Epson. I bought the projector last year direct form Epson so I still have one year warranty left on it. How should I proceed?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
has anyone calibrated their 5040ub with a Spyder X Elite? I'm wonder how that would work. Because you would have to I guess get offsets from the software to plug into your projector, if you were using it on any other input than PC.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
has anyone calibrated their 5040ub with a Spyder X Elite? I'm wonder how that would work. Because you would have to I guess get offsets from the software to plug into your projector, if you were using it on any other input than PC.
To manually calibrate a projector for a specific source, you would display a calibration pattern from that source, and measure the projector’s output using a meter connected to the PC.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
To manually calibrate a projector for a specific source, you would display a calibration pattern from that source, and measure the projector’s output using a meter connected to the PC.
Thanks. So I would have to manually adjust it with my eyes on a PC? Or is there software that will tell me the offsets to use to get it to "correct" color and contrast?

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Thanks. So I would have to manually adjust it with my eyes on a PC? Or is there software that will tell me the offsets to use to get it to "correct" color and contrast?
I don’t understand your question. Aren’t you already looking at HCFR?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I don’t understand your question. Aren’t you already looking at HCFR?
yes, but I don't know how it works. I would want to change the settings on my 5040, but not sure how I can do that with the software. Seems like HCFR is what people use - I will have to check out some guides on it. I'm used to Spyder auto calibration the monitor it's hooked to and adjusting itself, rather than me changing settings through a menu.

20161 - 20180 of 20257 Posts