AVS Forum banner

4801 - 4820 of 20180 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is your picture as bright as the Natural mode with custom gamma used by the individual you responded to? Reason I ask is I've tried his settings and I've also tried Dig Cin, HDR 1, Super White ON, gamma 0 and Iris at 0 and that picture is no where near as bright as his with Natural mode. I've tried gamma 1 & 2 and still not that great of an HDR picture.

Prior to seeing his Natural / Custom Gamma settings I would always default to Bright Cinema, Gamma 1 or 2, HDR 1, and Iris between 0-5 --- but after trying his settings I like his much better.

I have a 110" 2.35 screen and using Oppo 203 for UHD HDR. Room is light controlled and almost pitch black.

I'd like to find a good Cinema or Dig Cin setting but just not seeing how.

I think that those settings are very good. I am still contemplating using them. I just find digital cinema with hdr 1 sufficient and not too dark. I had to get used to seeing HDR. SDR is overall brighter, but HDR is much more dynamic, and the shadows and blacks are much better. I feel that you need an adjustment period from viewing years of 1080p SDR bt.709 colorspace. HDR is not really about overall image brightness. It is about a much larger contrast range.

What I do is if I think a scene is too dark on the projector I play the same scene on my LG OLED. I always find that the scene is not any brighter on the LG. The scene is supposed to be dark! Now watch the scene in SDR it is brighter but the shadow details you get with HDR are gone and that sucks.

All this being said. The natural setting with the customized gamma settings provide much brighter colors, and that is most certainly due to the nearly doubled light output compared to digital cinema mode. That is much more like my OLED. The downside to digital cinema mode is less color vibrancy.

That is why I have not ruled out the natural mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
HMM so which is it?
He's trying to give the installer the benefit of the doubt. I'm not. It can be done, but takes time and effort.
I've never actually tried calibrating a no-border screen. I'm sure it's not easy,
and maybe there might need to be just an ever so slight bit of overscan (like 1%),
but using keystone is kind of laughable to me, for a paid professional install.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Alright... I have been trying to avoid asking questions that are likely already addressed throughout this thread, but I'm now at that point even after reading probably a majority of posts here. I'm typically extremely tech savy and yet I'm really struggling to feel confident in my setup and use of this projector. This really makes me believe a good wiki style 1st post with a lot more information and instruction on setup and use would be extremely helpful for this specific projector. There seem to be quite a few known quirks and possible advise the others are only going to find if they are lucky enough to find the random posts that include it.

Overall, I'm trying to identify which settings are best. I ran through the basic Avia style calibration for brightness/contract/Saturation/Hue and most settings were near perfect all at the defaults of 50 especially the Saturation/Hue. But then I tried some other settings based on a recommendation here with some much more wild RGBCMY colors and the colors were different, but I thought it looked good and again the Saturation/Hue calibrations were still correct. Overall that makes me really wonder how much more I need to look into learning about real calibration myself or having a professional do it.

The brings me to another question... there seems to be many different uses of the various color modes. (Movies/games, ambient light changes, 3D, and also HDR). What I'm really struggling with his how to calibrate for these other modes like HDR and 3D. Are there good known methods to do this and would a calibrator typically be expected to do for all modes including HDR?

For HDR, I have yet to get the projector to tell me in info that it was receiving anything other that SDR, so even though I'm watching UHD Blu-Rays through the Xbox One S or other UHD content from the FireTV, (My understanding is the FireTV isn't capable at this time of sending over HDR and the Xbox One S should be, but mine doesn't show my display as being capable for HDR). I can't tell if the projector is receiving what it needs to so that when I do force HDR modes, they are accurately portraying with the content creators wanted. For example one the UHD Blu-Ray Martian, when I force HDR 1 or 2, the colors themselves drastically change much like others have posted in screenshots here and although it might not look bad, I can't believe both versions of what I'm seeing are true to the original intent.

I'm rambling quite a bit here but just trying to get a confident grip that I'm watching movies looking their best. I have relatively limited time for tweaking and it's quite frustrating to try and watch an HDR movie for the 1st couple of times only to sit and tinker with settings for a couple of hours instead of watching.

Any broad advice?

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
......Now watch the scene in SDR it is brighter but the shadow details you get with HDR are gone and that sucks......

This is not the experience I recall with HDR vs SDR on the Sony 365ES, so
I'm sure it's more of a projector capability issue than a format issue.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Is your picture as bright as the Natural mode with custom gamma used by the individual you responded to? Reason I ask is I've tried his settings and I've also tried Dig Cin, HDR 1, Super White ON, gamma 0 and Iris at 0 and that picture is no where near as bright as his with Natural mode. I've tried gamma 1 & 2 and still not that great of an HDR picture.

Prior to seeing his Natural / Custom Gamma settings I would always default to Bright Cinema, Gamma 1 or 2, HDR 1, and Iris between 0-5 --- but after trying his settings I like his much better.

I have a 110" 2.35 screen and using Oppo 203 for UHD HDR. Room is light controlled and almost pitch black.

I'd like to find a good Cinema or Dig Cin setting but just not seeing how.
Can you give me the link to the post for those settings? Would like to try them myself.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having an issue with my 5040ub shutting off on it's own about every hour. It seems as if it is on a sleep timer or something, but I have checked all of the projector settings, avr settings, and htpc settings, and there are no sleep timers activated. I just received the projector a few days ago, but I believe the issue started after I did the 1.08/1.04 firmware update. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you fix it? Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think that those settings are very good. I am still contemplating using them. I just find digital cinema with hdr 1 sufficient and not too dark. I had to get used to seeing HDR. SDR is overall brighter, but HDR is much more dynamic, and the shadows and blacks are much better. I feel that you need an adjustment period from viewing years of 1080p SDR bt.709 colorspace. HDR is not really about overall image brightness. It is about a much larger contrast range.

What I do is if I think a scene is too dark on the projector I play the same scene on my LG OLED. I always find that the scene is not any brighter on the LG. The scene is supposed to be dark! Now watch the scene in SDR it is brighter but the shadow details you get with HDR are gone and that sucks.

All this being said. The natural setting with the customized gamma settings provide much brighter colors, and that is most certainly due to the nearly doubled light output compared to digital cinema mode. That is much more like my OLED. The downside to digital cinema mode is less color vibrancy.

That is why I have not ruled out the natural mode.

Gotcha, thanks. If you end up tweaking either of the P3 modes to where you think the brightness is improved quite a bit I'd be interested in trying those settings.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I got the Oppo 203 today. I set it up in the back of the room so that the short HDMI cord that Oppo includes could be hooked up straight to the projector and then I used a longer cord I had to run the audio out to my AVR. I want to make sure that any issues I might have would not be because of a HDMI cord that is too long.

I put in the 4K Miss Peregrin's Home for Peculiar Children because I have read that it is one of the best looking 4K disks available. It looked good. Next I tried out the Blu Ray of the same movie. Looks the same to me.

Surely I must be missing a setting.

Here is what my projector says:

I notice that the frame interpolation option is greyed out. Not that I use it, I hate it but it seems like it's only not available on 1080i sources so just wondering..

Also, 4K enhancement is greyed out too. Not sure if that means anything.

That's what my 6040 shows when watching std blu-rays,the reviews on uhd blu-ray makes me want to wait,seems std gets a better pq than uhd a lot of the time,did you figure out what's wrong with yours?

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is why I wish you could view output settings on the projector info acreen.

The first picture is with my AVR set to directly pass through the 1080 DirectTV signal with Epson 4K enhancement ON. Take note of the CBS logo in top right.

The second picture is with my AVR set to upscale the signal to 4K. The logo is positioned correctly. Not sure what to make of this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
I feel clueless and need some guidance

I've had numerous pj's over the years, but this 4k/HDR stuff is very foreign to me. I'm considering the 5040ub and am really confused as to what it can and can't do. I've tried to read through as many posts as I could, but many seem to contradict one another to the point where my head is spinning. I know this is not a true native 4k pj and I understand the part ok and what the pixel shifting does and doesn't do. My confusion is around the HDR support. I look at the specs and descriptions on Epson's website and it suggests the wired version can display HDR content. But then I see several posts saying it can't because of some 10Gbps chipset limitation, but the wireless version WILL fully support HDR and 16Gbps transfer speed. But then I read something about the wireless 5040ube that certain type of content still needs a hard-wired connection because the wireless connection DOESN'T have the bandwidth, hence my total confusion at this point.

Could some kind soul please boil it down for me? I'm planning to pair the 5040ub with the Panny UB900. What will this allow me to do/see with regard to 4K UHD Blurays and Netflix 4K streaming, specifically as it relates to HDR? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I've had numerous pj's over the years, but this 4k/HDR stuff is very foreign to me. I'm considering the 5040ub and am really confused as to what it can and can't do. I've tried to read through as many posts as I could, but many seem to contradict one another to the point where my head is spinning. I know this is not a true native 4k pj and I understand the part ok and what the pixel shifting does and doesn't do. My confusion is around the HDR support. I look at the specs and descriptions on Epson's website and it suggests the wired version can display HDR content. But then I see several posts saying it can't because of some 10Gbps chipset limitation, but the wireless version WILL fully support HDR and 16Gbps transfer speed. But then I read something about the wireless 5040ube that certain type of content still needs a hard-wired connection because the wireless connection DOESN'T have the bandwidth, hence my total confusion at this point.

Could some kind soul please boil it down for me? I'm planning to pair the 5040ub with the Panny UB900. What will this allow me to do/see with regard to 4K UHD Blurays and Netflix 4K streaming, specifically as it relates to HDR? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else.
HDR looks good, but it will not be as bright as the TVs do. This is with every other projector currently in the market. It had to do with the lumens and not GBPs.
If your viewing is only UHD BD and streaming, 10.2GBPs is more than enough. Note that UHDs are mastered in 4:2:0 10Bit.
Wireless will give you some extra room in bandwidth, but is still not 18GBPs.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I got the Oppo 203 today. I set it up in the back of the room so that the short HDMI cord that Oppo includes could be hooked up straight to the projector and then I used a longer cord I had to run the audio out to my AVR. I want to make sure that any issues I might have would not be because of a HDMI cord that is too long.

I put in the 4K Miss Peregrin's Home for Peculiar Children because I have read that it is one of the best looking 4K disks available. It looked good. Next I tried out the Blu Ray of the same movie. Looks the same to me.

Surely I must be missing a setting.

Here is what my projector says:

I notice that the frame interpolation option is greyed out. Not that I use it, I hate it but it seems like it's only not available on 1080i sources so just wondering..

Also, 4K enhancement is greyed out too. Not sure if that means anything.

Unless I am missing something shouldn't it say BT2020 instead of 709 if your using the 4K disc?

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Unless I am missing something shouldn't it say BT2020 instead of 709 if your using the 4K disc?
I posted on the Oppo 203 thread, they thought I was using the blu ray too, but I'm not. I tried it again today to be sure. Here is a shot of the output of the oppo on the left and the epson on the right.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I posted on the Oppo 203 thread, they thought I was using the blu ray too, but I'm not. I tried it again today to be sure. Here is a shot of the output of the oppo on the left and the epson on the right.

What am I doing wrong?

Yes that is incorrect, you need to go into the setting of the OPPO and turn HDR from ON or Auto to Strip Metadata. Give that a shot and then post your info screens again.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
My options are auto, on, or off. When I switch to auto or off I get this, so no longer BD output I assume?

But the picture is very washed out. Can't tell if it's better or worse right now. I have the latest firmware update from the Oppo, which I thought was supposed to have the strip metadata option, but maybe not.

Try one of the HDR modes on the Epson?

4801 - 4820 of 20180 Posts