AVS Forum banner

7861 - 7880 of 20717 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have about 1300 hours on my 5040. All I did was a few adjustments after the most recent firmware update. I actually removed the HDFury Integral from the chain and am using normal and bright cinema (autobright) depending on the content.

The following pics are in bright cinema. The first from HBO's The Leftovers. The rest are from a YouTube 4k 60p Nature video. I'm still in awe every time I see different content that makes this projector sing. Look at the detail on the woman's face being pulled from a 1080 source. Pics are from my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
What are your settings? Can you take a picture?

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Awww....when was the last time you put a Harmony Hub up on top a Ceiling mounted PJ?

For anyone who is using a Harmony that is RF to IR Only, then a IR Blaster must be extended to, or placed within range of the PJ's IR window......
I have it so the hub bounces the IR signals all over the room, including the screen, which sends it easily and repeatably to the projector every time. Remember that the Harmony Hub has a Flooding IR Flasher built in, so it floods the room with IR signals. I haven't had any issues controlling all my gear with it, other that the UB900 UHD BR player, but I use the remote's IR for that. I think it's more of an IR mode thing on that, but I just haven't bothered or had time to troubleshoot yet.

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't saying that either. An earlier post had made me question this, as seplant stated that forcing SDR loses WCG - as above. He has edited the post to correct this, so all good now.

I have tried the settings and quite like them - I did notice a slight green cast on the Revenant, which setting would cause this/is best to experiment with to reduce it? Thanks
Have you had a calibration done on it yet, namely greyscale? If that is set with too much green or too little blue and/or red, then you may be seeing that. It could also be your CMS' RGBCMY settings. Did you mess with those at all?

Actually the remote is wifi and Bluetooth only. The smarts is all in the hub. The hub does wifi, Bluetooth and IR. When I setup my devices, harmony chooses what interface to use. For my Mac mini it uses Bluetooth, for the PS4 it uses Bluetooth, for my Samsung uhd player it chooses wifi, for my NAD T775 receiver it chooses IR and for the Epson 5040UB, it chose IR as well. It works and I am fine with it. But I was just hoping that if the projector has wifi built in (does it?), harmony could use that instead of IR.
I have a Harmony Smart remote and it has IR capability. I use it in IR mode all the time to control my Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray player. (and yes, I know it is using IR because I have to make sure to point it at it, and I had to set it that way in the setup app intentionally).

Thank for clear that up. Went back to page 722 and was reading about your pseudo HDR settings. Not fully understanding about setting the source to HDR, but then canceling it out somehow? Not certain how this works as I'm using a Roku and there's only one HDR setting.

Looking forward to trying out your Digital Cinema settings when I get a minute.
I think you mean post 7220, which is to my HarperVision settings?

What people aren't grasping here is that setting ANY setting in the menu of your projector is NOT changing ANYTHING on the source! It is simply forcing and telling your projector to go into that mode that you happen to select, even if it is the WRONG MODE! Selecting HDR1, 2, etc. will NOT force the source device (UHD bluray player, etc.) to all of the sudden send an HD signal. That is up to the source and what EDID it senses on the HDMI from the sink device (projector in this case). Selecting BT2020 in the projector will NOT make the source send BT2020 WCG. That only forces the projector into the mode where it thinks it should be getting a BT2020 WCG signal and sets its internal parameters accordingly. If you send it BT709 HD color gamut, then it will be and look screwed up, period! Setting it to AUTO when available will just mean that it will "automatically" select the mode that it senses within the incoming signal and what is told by the source's EDID that it's sending. If you send HDR BT2020, and you're in AUTO mode, then it will "automatically select" both HDR1 or 2, depending on whether you're on AUTO (Bright) or just AUTO, and BT2020 as the color space. You can trick these things by using a device like the HDFury or Integral as they are custom EDID devices that can customize what you want the source to send instead of using the EDID in the display device. They can also force certain modes like HDR, BT2020, scaling (Linker only), etc.

To answer your question now. Your source is and should be still sending the full HDR BT2020 WCG signal. You are ONLY changing the mode manually within your projector to SDR so that it then uses its own internal settings parameters for SDR, instead of HDR, thinking that's what its getting now, even though you're actually sending full HDR. If you leave it at AUTO, it will automatically select HDR1,2,3 or 4. That is NOT what we want for HarperVision settings because that results in to dark, flat and dull of an image on projectors as they don't have the lumen and nit power that flat panels do to do HDR any justice with it's peak whites and specular highlights. This then causes what looks like a washed out, messed up picture. This is where my settings like custom gamma, high contrast and chroma, come into play, making it look right, and even better than the stock HDR1(etc.) settings built into the projector! Is all this making sense now?

You don't need the HDFury Linker with a projector that can already take in an HDR signal and can be manually switched into SDR mode and a custom gamma can be set on it. You DO need a Linker if you are trying it on an SDR only projector or display, like I am doing now with the Epson LS10000 laser unit, which by the way I finally stumbled on some simply amazing and jaw dropping settings on last night! Honestly the BEST UHD HDR 4K BT2020 signal I have EVER seen with Planet Earth II UHD Bluray! My heart actually skipped a beat and my jaw dropped at what I was seeing! :eek: This includes the venerable JVC RSx00/x20 line and the Sony 675ES! Granted I have not done this type of full "HarperVision" tweak on those yet, so this isn't to say those won't be better if I was able to, but seriously, it was astounding!

I do have one small issue that I am checking on though, before I release it officially. I am getting banding in the beginning of Planet Earth II when it shows the Earth and zooms and pans out to the words "Planet Earth II" and then the sun shines around the earth. I see it in the space surrounding it very easily. I have not noticed it with real video content though, so it's strange and I'm not sure if maybe it's supposed to be there somewhat, kind of like the circular glare and shine you get from something like a street light, etc. I did a little testing and found that going from HDMI Dynamic Range Normal to Enhanced alleviates it, but blows out my other settings that it took literally days to figure out! I need to find the same settings with Enhanced on I guess to get rid of it. I think it needs Enhanced because this is an SDR only projector and the full HDR signal has to compress within it, causing the banding. I have heard more than once that HDR needs to be set to Enhanced, but have yet to officially confirm this. There is such conflicting info still.

HERES MY QUESTION TO EPSON.
Hello Epson,
If my 5040ub projector is being fed a UHD Blu ray sending HDR BT2020 4:2:2 and I go into the signal menu and select "SDR" fixed option as well as fixing the color mode to BT2020, will I then lose the wider color space by selecting SDR fixed. Does this option only strip HDR and leave the wider color gamut ?

RESPONSE:
Hi Evan, Selecting SDR will strip some of the color gamut. Here is the FAQ on supported HDR signals.

pic hostingcertificity.com

image hosting 30 mbcertificity.com
This is simply not true. I don't believe the person understands what it is you are asking him/her. See my above and earlier replies. SDR and HDR refer to the luminance range, gamma, etc. (basically the black and white component of the signal). WCG, BT2020, BT709 are color gamuts and refer to how far out/how saturated, the phase/tint and the brightness of each color signal are. Changing one does NOT stop the other from being. Now, it is true that some sources like UHD Bluray players, when told to not output HDR, will automatically disable BT2020 WCG as well, but this does NOT have to be this way. This is proven by using an HDFury Linker or Integral and turning off HDR and tricking the source so it sends SDR instead, along with BT2020 WCG! Many do and have done this, including myself, many, many times. If you manually select BT2020 color mode, it WILL output the full colors in that mode and you can actually hear the WCG filter move into place.

Here is a CIE 1931 Color Gamut Chart. Nowhere in it does it mention "HDR, SDR, etc.":

Here is an SDR and HDR Waveform monitor image showing what they are, B&W luminance waveforms going from their respective black to their peak whites, and the differences.:

You can have HDR BT709 and SDR BT2020 as an example. Changing a mode in your projector will NOT change the input source signal, only something like and HDFury or the source itself can. It would be equivalent to owning a color TV and turning off the color. Sure the picture would become black and white, but the signal being sent to your TV is still a color TV signal, unaffected by what you selected on the TV itself.

If I remember correctly, the PJ remote is RF and if you have the UBe, the WiFi is IR.
The 5040/6040 projector's remotes are IR, not RF.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hi Dave,

Love your 'HarperVision HDR' settings on 5040 so much, I wonder if you would share your settings for playing back 4k files that are without HDR. FYI, I am hooking up the Epson directly to a OPPO 203.

Thanks for your help in advance. Regards.

Reactions: Dave Harper

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Yeah that is what I am using. I was just wondering if I could get away without an IR blaster in the line of sight of the projector. Also, I installed the chief mount today. Very nice in deed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur the chief mount is a quality mount. I needed to use an IR Blaster to turn on my projector since my AV equipment is in a closet/rack. I just ran the wire outside the door, mounted it high on a column, and voila, it worked like a charm. I didn't want to use it but unless I opened my AV door the hub signal would not turn on the Epson. I could probably figure out another alternative, but if ain't broke don't fix it. Everything is working fine now, I have the Amazon Echo integrated into my system, Alexa "Turn on the TV", it's a beautiful thing. Even my brother-in-law the Mechanical Engineer was impressed :wink:. However, I digress. Hope this story helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have about 1300 hours on my 5040. All I did was a few adjustments after the most recent firmware update. I actually removed the HDFury Integral from the chain and am using normal and bright cinema (autobright) depending on the content.

The following pics are in bright cinema. The first from HBO's The Leftovers. The rest are from a YouTube 4k 60p Nature video. I'm still in awe every time I see different content that makes this projector sing. Look at the detail on the woman's face being pulled from a 1080 source. Pics are from my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Would like to know your settings as well :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The SLB357 bracket arrived on Monday and I can confirm it is the correct bracket for the 5040/6040. I've always preferred the very sturdy Chief RPA mounts and their custom SLB brackets over their universal spider legs design. The RPA and SLB combo make for a very simple and quick installation. Subsequent de-installations and re-installations are equally simple and quick because its design keeps everything in perfect alignment and registration. I was able to de-install my old PJ and install the 5040 in less than 30 minutes. Here's a few pix to confirm fit.

View attachment 1828473 View attachment 1828481 View attachment 1828489 View attachment 1828497
I have a Epson 5040ub and i was wondering
Where did you purchase your mount from?
What else is needed to mount it to the ceiling? Any additional mounting hardware?

Thank you !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I concur the chief mount is a quality mount. I needed to use an IR Blaster to turn on my projector since my AV equipment is in a closet/rack. I just ran the wire outside the door, mounted it high on a column, and voila, it worked like a charm. I didn't want to use it but unless I opened my AV door the hub signal would not turn on the Epson. I could probably figure out another alternative, but if ain't broke don't fix it. Everything is working fine now, I have the Amazon Echo integrated into my system, Alexa "Turn on the TV", it's a beautiful thing. Even my brother-in-law the Mechanical Engineer was impressed :wink:. However, I digress. Hope this story helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Where did you purchase your mount from and whats included?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have a Epson 5040ub and i was wondering
Where did you purchase your mount from?
What else is needed to mount it to the ceiling? Any additional mounting hardware?

Thank you !
Both @MississippiMan and I are advocates of Chief's mounting system. His recent posts (second link below) contain the information you're looking for. I have purchased from both Visual Apex (Karl) and Projector People (Kirk) with good results. Feel free to shop either as I have purchased from Kirk from PP as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ub-6040ub-owners-thread-259.html#post52574281

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ub-6040ub-owners-thread-260.html#post52586273

Ceiling height and type will dictate what additional hardware may be necessary. For mounting directly to a typical 8' flat drywall ceiling will require only an RPA357 kit comprised of the RPA mount and the SLB357 custom plate. Other accessories (ceiling plate and/or extension tube) may be necessary depending on your room. Kirk should be able to assist with a solution for your situation.

And to quote MM: T'aint nuthin' Mo Bedder.....just cheaper and more flimsy. :p

Reactions: Skylinestar

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Where did you purchase your mount from and whats included?
I didn't purchase the mount, it was part of the Epson 6040UB package...You can purchase it on Epson's web site (Model: CHF2500), but it is currently out of stock. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
18 Posts
Both @MississippiMan and I are advocates of Chief's mounting system. His recent posts (second link below) contain the information you're looking for. I have purchased from both Visual Apex (Karl) and Projector People (Kirk) with good results. Feel free to shop either as I have purchased from Kirk from PP as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ub-6040ub-owners-thread-259.html#post52574281

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ub-6040ub-owners-thread-260.html#post52586273

Ceiling height and type will dictate what additional hardware may be necessary. For mounting directly to a typical 8' flat drywall ceiling will require only an RPA357 kit comprised of the RPA mount and the SLB357 custom plate. Other accessories (ceiling plate and/or extension tube) may be necessary depending on your room. Kirk should be able to assist with a solution for your situation.

And to quote MM: T'aint nuthin' Mo Bedder.....just cheaper and more flimsy. :p
Thanks for the help~

·
Registered
18 Posts

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Looks good!

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Hi Dave,

Love your 'HarperVision HDR' settings on 5040 so much, I wonder if you would share your settings for playing back 4k files that are without HDR. FYI, I am hooking up the Epson directly to a OPPO 203.

Thanks for your help in advance. Regards.
I think I'm still confused with the HarperVision settings. What do you do when you switch sources? It looks like those settings are for use with an UltraHD source, but what do I do when I switch back to my normal Kodi source that's 1080p?
Easy, switch to Natural Mode and calibrate using normal rec709 parameters on a disc like Spears & Munsil, DVE, AVS, etc. I don't remember, but you may have to switch the gamma back to a preset instead of the custom one. You can setup Memories to automatically switch to many of the preferred settings for each signal and mode you watch. :)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Easy, switch to Natural Mode and calibrate using normal rec709 parameters on a disc like Spears & Munsil, DVE, AVS, etc. I don't remember, but you may have to switch the gamma back to a preset instead of the custom one. You can setup Memories to automatically switch to many of the preferred settings for each signal and mode you watch. :)
Not sure about your reference to "automatic memory switching" cant see an option for that?

It would be perfect if that was possible as I have a few experimental saved memories.
Unfortunately it looks like its a manual selection.

There doesn't even seem to be a way of checking which memory I am currently using.
Even when you use the memory button it looks like it defaults to the number 1 slot rather than the one that's in use

Any info on this would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I didn't purchase the mount, it was part of the Epson 6040UB package...You can purchase it on Epson's web site (Model: CHF2500), but it is currently out of stock. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I thought it was the chf4500. I bought it from eBay new in box for $139. It came with everything including the shaft, ceiling piece, the custom plate and the mount itself. I had posted a picture earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Not sure about your reference to "automatic memory switching" cant see an option for that?

It would be perfect if that was possible as I have a few experimental saved memories.

Unfortunately it looks like its a manual selection.

There doesn't even seem to be a way of checking which memory I am currently using.

Even when you use the memory button it looks like it defaults to the number 1 slot rather than the one that's in use

Any info on this would be appreciated

I wasn't saying that it will automatically switch memories. I was saying that you can setup memories for each signal you may be sending it, then when that memory is manually selected, it will "automatically" switch the settings to whatever is saved within that memory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wasn't saying that it will automatically switch memories. I was saying that you can setup memories for each signal you may be sending it, then when that memory is manually selected, it will "automatically" switch the settings to whatever is saved within that memory.
I have noticed that the "Advanced" setting under Signal does not reset with your memory selections. So if you want a different selection you have to change that when you go back to your other memory presets. It seems odd, but is that how it is supposed to work?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have noticed that the "Advanced" setting under Signal does not reset with your memory selections. So if you want a different selection you have to change that when you go back to your other memory presets. It seems odd, but is that how it is supposed to work?
It's how Epson have made it work, unfortunately when you select anything other than Auto/Bright such as SDR or hdr1 and assign those to different memory presets they do not carry over,

Take Daves digital cinema setting for instance for HDR , if you hard select SDR then save that as a memory if you then go back to bright cinema you will still have SDR selected.

I have just started using Daves harpervision settings for 4K HDR discs tonight which with a small amount of adjustment for my unit look great but luckily forcing SDR for digital cinema mode when I go back to natural mode SDR is the correct setting, I only need to select my natural memory.

Reactions: Dave Harper

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looking for anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who has a 5040/6040 and has implimented Dave Harpers "Harpervision" parameters in their PJ.

7861 - 7880 of 20717 Posts