AVS Forum banner

12641 - 12660 of 19950 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello,

I finally gave up trying to get my Linker going between my xbox one x through my Marantz av7004 to my Epson 5040UB. My Oppo 205 and 4K Apple TV were not as complicated......

Right now the xbox plays at 4K but 8-bit 709 no HDR. Looking at the screenshots of the Linker setup through all the posts, I've seen option 2 and 8 used and scaling to 30 bt2020. If there is a post that lists all the settings I'd love to find it. I'll go back over everything and reread them. Finally got SpectraCal Home Enthusiast working and calibrated the PJ, but this old guy had a steep learning curve on that one.

I would love to hear from anyone that has it working with a similar setup. I'm OK with no HDR on the XBox, lol, no I'm not :)

Thank you and Peace to all.
Hi Misterg51,
Did you try Mase1981 settings here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2563857-official-epson-5040ub-6040ub-owners-thread-390.html#post55153048

Also have you set the 4K signal format on your 7704 to “enhanced”. This is required for the 7704 to pass 4K 60hz 4:4:4 through. Please see:
Setting - Video - 4k Signal format in the manual.
http://manuals.marantz.com/AV7704/na/en/DRDZSYzvebvotm.php

Regards,
Stephen

Reactions: sddp and misterg51

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello,

I finally gave up trying to get my Linker going between my xbox one x through my Marantz av7004 to my Epson 5040UB. My Oppo 205 and 4K Apple TV were not as complicated......

Right now the xbox plays at 4K but 8-bit 709 no HDR. Looking at the screenshots of the Linker setup through all the posts, I've seen option 2 and 8 used and scaling to 30 bt2020. If there is a post that lists all the settings I'd love to find it. I'll go back over everything and reread them. Finally got SpectraCal Home Enthusiast working and calibrated the PJ, but this old guy had a steep learning curve on that one.

I would love to hear from anyone that has it working with a similar setup. I'm OK with no HDR on the XBox, lol, no I'm not :)

Thank you and Peace to all.
Thank You Thank You!!

It was the 4K setting me thinks in the AV7004 and I also used the newer firmware.

You saved me a ton of time..... now to figure out which color mode looks bestnon the Epson. So far Bright Cinema...

MG

·
Registered
786 Posts
I personally myself added the epson 6040ub to the harmony database. I was one of the first to ever buy it pre ordered. So I can tell u first hand, all the buttons are there since I put them there. Someone else from the forum added the 5040ub. Works flawless
How about the UBe? Anyone use a Harmony with the wireless transmitter??

Reactions: sddp

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thank You Thank You!!

It was the 4K setting me thinks in the AV7004 and I also used the newer firmware.

You saved me a ton of time..... now to figure out which color mode looks bestnon the Epson. So far Bright Cinema...

MG
No problem, glad it helped! I had to do something similar with my Yamaha CX-5100.

Regards,
Stephen

Reactions: misterg51

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oppo 203 -spiderman 4K - only SDR color

Just watched spiderman homecoming and I was surprise that the color mode was only SDR. I tried to modify the output from my oppo but the menu said that a dolby vision blue ray video output cannot be altered. So no luck changing the video output from the oppo. I already wachted many other 4K blu rays and all were able to pass BT2020.

I read about 4k High Frame Rate issue with the epson due to the 10Gb limitation, but earlier in the thread people were claiming to watch this same HDR blueray with BT2020 as it is a not a HFR. So, I wonder, what is wrong in my setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would love if they came out with a super resolution firmware update like they did for the 5030UB, THEN we're talking ...fingers crossed they make that happen (it took a LONG time for the 5030UB).
It is already implemented on the 5040/6040/9300. I don't know what they could further improve on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear... gentlemen,

Sorry if this has been asked before but somehow i didn't quite find the answer. Basically in Asia, i got the Epson TW8300 which is supposingly the 5040ub. i'm currently running on the 1.04 firmware and would like to go 1.11. So can i just upgrade using the firmware downloaded from EPSON which is for the 5040?? I need to be absolutely sure as i don't want to brick my projector.

I know for a fact that certain models though referred to as similar across different regions may sometimes have some small hardware changes.... so would appreciate the help from you guys. Cheers.....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My projector is above my head and the fan noise on high lamp setting when using harpervision or ordurts settings is to loud what can I do to improve the pq on medium lamp? Also my internet is slow and I cant download the firmware,it could be me I'm not a computer expert.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Dear... gentlemen,

Sorry if this has been asked before but somehow i didn't quite find the answer. Basically in Asia, i got the Epson TW8300 which is supposingly the 5040ub. i'm currently running on the 1.04 firmware and would like to go 1.11. So can i just upgrade using the firmware downloaded from EPSON which is for the 5040?? I need to be absolutely sure as i don't want to brick my projector.

I know for a fact that certain models though referred to as similar across different regions may sometimes have some small hardware changes.... so would appreciate the help from you guys. Cheers.....
You'll find your firmware update on the Australian Epson website.

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
Do you just do this by eyeball?

I downloaded those r.mascolia files, but how do you pull them up. I have Philips 7501, Nvidia shield and X1X.

I love Harpervision even though I've never tweaked for me personally.

I would love to get it really dialed in.

Also, I'm using the wireless HDMI right now and every now and then I get random white bar flash. Is this the projector or the wireless signal? Happens very irregularly but like a whole line of the screen flashes for a millisecond then goes back normal. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Note8 using Tapatalk

Are you asking about CMS by eye, or the custom gamma curve?

CMS you won't be able to do by eye, but the gamma curve you should be able to put in my settings to start, and then put in a good mixed scene to adjust by eye that last ounce of perfection. I love the scene in The Revenant towards the beginning battle when the old man walks towards and shoots the horse then walks through the small cabin where the guys is comforting his dying friend because you have very dark shadow detail scenes in the shadows and then also bright flashes with the sun shining through. This is more easily done with the 5040 because each area and level of the curve you're adjusting flashes in the scene, so you know exactly what level is being changed. It only takes a click or two one way or the other and then when you hit it right on all levels and go back to the movie scene, you'll know it when you hit it because you'll be in awe of what you see.

There are many other scenes in The Revenant that are great too. Once you nail it, go to the beginning of the chapter that starts with them walking through the mossy forrest and the captain is asking Glass about his son. You will be absolutely floored! :eek: I think it's chapter 5.

My projector is above my head and the fan noise on high lamp setting when using harpervision or ordurts settings is to loud what can I do to improve the pq on medium lamp? Also my internet is slow and I cant download the firmware,it could be me I'm not a computer expert.

I hear the new FW boosts up the HDR brightness which may allow you to use Medium Lamp power instead of High.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
Considering the purchase of a 6040. Does anyone recommend against it?

Unless you really need a black case, I think the 5040 is just as good hardware wise and could save you tons of money. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help you decide what works best without clogging this thread.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you asking about CMS by eye, or the custom gamma curve?

CMS you won't be able to do by eye, but the gamma curve you should be able to put in my settings to start, and then put in a good mixed scene to adjust by eye that last ounce of perfection. I love the scene in The Revenant towards the beginning battle when the old man walks towards and shoots the horse then walks through the small cabin where the guys is comforting his dying friend because you have very dark shadow detail scenes in the shadows and then also bright flashes with the sun shining through. This is more easily done with the 5040 because each area and level of the curve you're adjusting flashes in the scene, so you know exactly what level is being changed. It only takes a click or two one way or the other and then when you hit it right on all levels and go back to the movie scene, you'll know it when you hit it because you'll be in awe of what you see.

There are many other scenes in The Revenant that are great too. Once you nail it, go to the beginning of the chapter that starts with them walking through the mossy forrest and the captain is asking Glass about his son. You will be absolutely floored! :eek: I think it's chapter 5.

I hear the new FW boosts up the HDR brightness which may allow you to use Medium Lamp power instead of High.
I'll give that a try then. I've looked at this where the screen flashes, but felt very intimidated about messing up the picture.

Does this custom setting work for all movies once you hit that sweet spot.

Honestly, with your settings watching Pacific Rim, my jaw dropped in the difference of HDR and standard picture.

Reactions: Dave Harper

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
I'll give that a try then. I've looked at this where the screen flashes, but felt very intimidated about messing up the picture.

Does this custom setting work for all movies once you hit that sweet spot.

Honestly, with your settings watching Pacific Rim, my jaw dropped in the difference of HDR and standard picture.

It should be awful close, but for darker movies you can tweak brightness up a tad or if you have a Panasonic UHD Bluray you can use the slider up a notch or two.

Don't worry about messing anything up. Just save and write down your settings. If you get all screwed up you can always just go back to default or my settings again and start over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can either get the linker directly from the manufacturer: (Taiwan)
https://www.hdfury.com/product/linker-4k60-444-600mhz-scaler/

Or you can get it from monoprice: (US)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27330

[Update 12/11/2017] - Download and use firmware .25 (version 21), use the link below and go to download section.
Manual, firmware, drivers and software can be found here:
https://www.hdfury.com/product/linker-4k60-444-600mhz-scaler/#tab-tab-download

You can either use a computer to do all that or buy an additional bluetooth adapter so you wont need a computer for the configuration (its just easier if you dont want to disconnect and move rooms each time, not a must:
https://www.hdfury.com/product/goblue/
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27329

Once you get it and put the 19a firmware, here are the config settings you need to do.
added both from PC and via the Geo Blue.
if you follow these settings exactly it will work with XB1S and get all greens.
Honestly, this should be a sticky :)
Anyone getting this error? I’ve got the latest firmware installed. The screen goes blank as the linker syncs back up.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
How about the UBe? Anyone use a Harmony with the wireless transmitter??
Actually, I'd like to know as well. I forgot to mention I'm using the UBe as well. And looks like the Elite is on sale too

·
Registered
218 Posts
It should be awful close, but for darker movies you can tweak brightness up a tad or if you have a Panasonic UHD Bluray you can use the slider up a notch or two.

Don't worry about messing anything up. Just save and write down your settings. If you get all screwed up you can always just go back to default or my settings again and start over.
Sounds good.

Any other movies you recommend doing this on? I don't have The Revenant.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Actually, I'd like to know as well. I forgot to mention I'm using the UBe as well. And looks like the Elite is on sale too
I have the Ube and use the Harmony.

Works flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Not sure if this problem has been mentioned before, but my 5040UB seems to suddenly be having a problem recognizing HDR signals from my Sony X800 4K Blu-ray player. It has worked flawlessly for months, now all of a sudden when I put a 4K HDR disc in, it reads it as SDR. Sometimes I have to eject and reload the disc 3, 4 or 5 times before it recognizes the HDR signal. I thought maybe it was the Sony (still might be), but if I turn off the Epson and turn it back on, it instantly recognizes that the disc is HDR.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this is suddenly happening and what I might do about it?

Thanks in advance.
I had this happen with a ub900 Panasonic, switched to oppo 203 and not only did it cure that issue it made audio and picture better...How? No idea lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12641 - 12660 of 19950 Posts