AVS Forum banner

12681 - 12700 of 19955 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry to bring this up again but just after a simple yes or no I suppose.

In order to get 4K 60 and HDR working at the same time on PS4 Pro, you need to hook up a HDFury device right? Are there any limitations or issues of doing this?

Thanks!
You need a Linker. You are limited to 8 BIT only with 4K/60 HDR. No other real issues as long as it is setup correctly which is extremely simple and layed out very clear in this thread how to do it.

Personally I think it’s a ridiculous a $5,000 projector can’t do 4k 60 hdr without converting to 8 bit color... but that’s just me.
I agree as well. How are you going to offer a 4K HDR device and limit it to 8 bit? Every current common source, Gaming Netflix, Amazon etc outputs at 4K/60 10-12bit. Its a big F-You to all consumers IMO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You need a Linker. You are limited to 8 BIT only with 4K/60 HDR. No other real issues as long as it is setup correctly which is extremely simple and layed out very clear in this thread how to do it.
Ok great, this sucker I assume: https://www.hdfury.com/product/linker-4k60-444-600mhz-scaler/

I saw someone earlier say (though I'll need to go back and read it) they were having issues with Atmos not working for some reason after installing the Linker. I guess as I only need it for the PS4 I could just installed it between the PS4 and Epson (rather than the amp and PS4) so that it's only involved with the PS4 and nothing else?

·
Registered
175 Posts
True 4K projectors are no where close to being in the sub $2,500 range like the 5040UB. The Sony 285ES is $5,000 and still has issues with HDR just like the 5040UB. I still think we're a good 2-3 years before we get a sub $2,500 4K projector that can handle HDR correctly.
100% correct!!!!

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
thxs mr harper I just realized that the thumb drive was used I think your are suppose to use a new one
Sorry I'm not sure what you're referring to?

Sounds good.

Any other movies you recommend doing this on? I don't have The Revenant.

Sent from my Galaxy Note8 using Tapatalk
Try Ghostbusters 2016. The scene in the old theater with the rock concert and glowing green gargoyle. Revenant is definitely worth the price of admission though!

Dave, when using the R Masciola patterns to calibrate HDR. What sort of file format does the software come in?

I do not have a PC that is capable of 4K/HDR, so how would I be able to use the test patterns once downloaded? Only thing I have is an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, I am wondering if its possible to load the files on to a USB and view it through the Console? I am trying to figure this out before purchasing it. Also am I going to need any sort of equipment?

Yes you can use a USB Flash drive. It has two file formats, MP4 and TS from what I recall seeing in my files and I see here:

https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html

I am able to play the MP4 versions on my FireTV box and Panasonic UB900 UHD Bluray player. I haven't tried it on my son's XBox 1 and we don't have a PS4.

You don't need equipment for the basic test patterns for brightness contrast color tint sharpness etc. but if you want to set greyscale, CMS, gamma, etc. right you should have a meter and calibration software.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,127 Posts
Update: Received my 3rd projector today and it came in a refurbished box. I’m not thrilled about it because it’s less than a month old and I purchased a brand new unit.

My options are to:

1. Return to the original vendor for full refund. I’m still in return period.

2. Keep the refurbished unit and keep my fingers crossed.

3. Request Epson to send me brand new unit as the CSR told me that I would be getting a new one this time.

Any advice?

I’m just not sure how prevalent this power supply issue is and whether or not the refurbished model I received would have different power supply part or a different issue entirely.

I’m considering returning this and waiting on the sidelines longer for maybe a Epson 5050? Haven’t heard anything about a new model coming out, but I’m new to this whole forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would do #1 and either rebuy 5040 guaranteeing a new one or wait for possible 5050. If there is a 5050 (I think likely) it likely would be announced at CEDIA 9/2018 and released within a couple of months of that date based on how releases of Epson 5/6 series projectors have been released in the past. I would think they'd want to get a model out with a 18 gb hdmi chipset to solve compatibility issues so I think highly likely a 5050 being announced 9/2018. JVC, their competitor has been offering projectors with 18 gb chip set for multiple model years. If you can't wait that long then you could reorder a NEW 5040 and be guaranteed you get a new one. All of the reports of power supply problems is really disappointing that Epson let things get this far with whoever supplies them. I have a 5040 and am afraid it will bite me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Update: Received my 3rd projector today and it came in a refurbished box. I’m not thrilled about it because it’s less than a month old and I purchased a brand new unit.

My options are to:

3. Request Epson to send me brand new unit as the CSR told me that I would be getting a new one this time.

Any advice?

I’m just not sure how prevalent this power supply issue is and whether or not the refurbished model I received would have different power supply part or a different issue entirely.

I’m considering returning this and waiting on the sidelines longer for maybe a Epson 5050? Haven’t heard anything about a new model coming out, but I’m new to this whole forum.

Wow, don't blame you a bit for being upset. I'd be livid! I've had 3 Epson pj's and never had to use the warranty.......yet. Therefore I have no experience with their refurbs but I have bought a lot of electronics that were refurbs & never had a problem with any of them. This power supply problem is looking scary. If I had the same experience as you and I was still within the retailer's return window I'd think hard about returning it. Best of luck with your decision!

Ed

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Refurbished units almost always have issues. I had multiple returns with the 8350 and also the 3500. Everytime they send a refurbished unit first and everything there was something wrong. Usually it's uniformity on focus. Put some computer text on the screen and I'm willing to bet you won't be able to get the whole screen focused at the same time. I had other issues, one of them didn't turn on and another the focus ring was stuck and wouldn't budge.
IIRC, although you were quite happy with your 5040, earlier you were in the process of selling it to purchase one of the JVC PJ's. Can you share with us what your ultimate decision was?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would do #1 and either rebuy 5040 guaranteeing a new one or wait for possible 5050. If there is a 5050 (I think likely) it likely would be announced at CEDIA 9/2017 and released within a couple of months of that date based on how releases of Epson 5/6 series projectors have been released in the past. I would think they'd want to get a model out with a 18 gb hdmi chipset to solve compatibility issues so I think highly likely a 5050 being announced 9/2017. JVC, their competitor has been offering projectors with 18 gb chip set for multiple model years. If you can't wait that long then you could reorder a NEW 5040 and be guaranteed you get a new one. All of the reports of power supply problems is really disappointing that Epson let things get this far with whoever supplies them. I have a 5040 and am afraid it will bite me.

I’m assuming you mean 9/2018.....?

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,127 Posts
I would do #1 and either rebuy 5040 guaranteeing a new one or wait for possible 5050. If there is a 5050 (I think likely) it likely would be announced at CEDIA 9/2017 and released within a couple of months of that date based on how releases of Epson 5/6 series projectors have been released in the past. I would think they'd want to get a model out with a 18 gb hdmi chipset to solve compatibility issues so I think highly likely a 5050 being announced 9/2017. JVC, their competitor has been offering projectors with 18 gb chip set for multiple model years. If you can't wait that long then you could reorder a NEW 5040 and be guaranteed you get a new one. All of the reports of power supply problems is really disappointing that Epson let things get this far with whoever supplies them. I have a 5040 and am afraid it will bite me.

I?m assuming you mean 9/2018.....?

Yes, doh!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello,
Just wanted your opinion. I am using the projector with my HTPC. The HTPC recognizes the projector as 4K so it adjusts the desktop resolution to 4K as well. I would like to know what is better when watching 1080p content (blu ray).
Leave the HTPC resolution to 4K ? or set the HTPC resolution to 1080p and let the EPSON apply the 4K enhancement ?
Thanks a lot.
Andreas

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I check the oppo 203 and did not find my issue but something relevant, see below. The issue is that the oppo does not display anything except a message saying that a dolby vision video output cannot be altered.

I read on the oppo thread that I should configure the oppo before the dolby vision disk is inserted, because after everything is locked. Will try it.
Solved my issue by forcing the oppo 203 in BT2020, 4:2:2, 12 bit, and 24 Hz before inserting the blu-ray, in case some will have the same issue with Dolby Vision blu-ray.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi there!

I have a TW9300, which is the same projector in US known as the 5040UB, and I'm still in the Bluray format. I'm deciding to get a media player such as Zidoo, Himedia or Egreat, but I'd like to know if there's anyone here that can suggest the best option to get the best projector's performance with 4K HDR format.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hi there!

I have a TW9300, which is the same projector in US known as the 5040UB, and I'm still in the Bluray format. I'm deciding to get a media player such as Zidoo, Himedia or Egreat, but I'd like to know if there's anyone here that can suggest the best option to get the best projector's performance with 4K HDR format.

iam using the zidoo X10 , and it perform just fine with the TW9300.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Has anyone been able to get one of the linkers to work with the Epson and get 4K from a pc?

·
Registered
54 Posts
iam using the zidoo X10 , and it perform just fine with the TW9300.
Thanks a lot for your tip! For now I'm using a the PCH A-500 which is great, very stable and awesome PQ. I was surprised by the picture quality as I was using Panasonic BD Players for a long time for my BDs collections. This media player is great if you don't need full BD menu or HDR.

What about Zidoo X10? How much is the HDD bay max capacity, i mean, How many TB? Does it have any kind of issues? ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts

My options are to:

Any advice?

ABSOLUTELY #1 !!!

A refurb unit costs about %20+ less. So if you have a refurb this early in the game then you should have paid %20 less

They are way cheaper now then when I bought mine in Nov 2016. So you should be able to get a great deal anywhere if you hunt. Just make sure it is %100 authorized dealer.

Less than a month paying full price of a new unit only to have a refurb? I don't think so!
Maybe for a $89 product, but not when you're talking about thousands of $

·
Registered
531 Posts
Has anyone been able to get one of the linkers to work with the Epson and get 4K from a pc?

I have no problem getting 4k from a PC with or without the Linker in place using a GTX 1050Ti.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks a lot for your tip! For now I'm using a the PCH A-500 which is great, very stable and awesome PQ. I was surprised by the picture quality as I was using Panasonic BD Players for a long time for my BDs collections. This media player is great if you don't need full BD menu or HDR.

What about Zidoo X10? How much is the HDD bay max capacity, i mean, How many TB? Does it have any kind of issues? ;)

Thanks!
It support 3.5" SATA hard drive up to 10TB :)
i been using it for like 3 month til now, with out any issue, i bought it togather with the Nvidia shield, then i tried them both, at the end i kept the Zidoo x10 and returned the Nvidia sheild, both are great preformer, but i just prefer the Zidoo x10 picture qaulity proccessing better, the Nvida sheild has a brighter picture , but the Zidoo has deeper color and black level , which gives more depth to the over all picture.

12681 - 12700 of 19955 Posts