AVS Forum banner

12821 - 12840 of 20173 Posts

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,143 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Going to try and ask for another new one first. It's crazy that Epson wouldn't recognize failures in these units, with respect to the power supply, when there have been instances of this happening with this projector/model. In general, going back to my 6010, I find Epson projectors to be almost scary when they fire up. I had a 6010 that I also had to return because it just went into a crazy powering up sequence where it would just make loud fan noise and the shutter would not open - maybe a faulty power supply there to? Anyways, I had a refurb returned and it was fine until I got the 6040UB. Maybe it's projectors in general but these Epson's have some of the worst power up sequence that I've ever seen. There are some instances where, upon power up, it will go into a high fan spin/noise before it settles down and displays the picture. Is there any reason for this on power up as most times it just powers up without this.

We'll see how it goes today when there Advance Support team opens up @ 11am EST. Their swap out program is fast with the refurbs and new units because they anticipate failures on these units I guess?
My 5040 just powered up last night exactly as you described, I didn't think a pic was going to be displayed took a VERY long time then it finally did. You'd think the power up sequence would be consistent.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Power Up UBe Wireless

When mine has the high fan on start up, it takes a long time for picture..

Most of the time when fan doesn't rev. picture comes pretty quick.. (Before my Harmony gets finished with startup}

Overall, not a big deal and generally, pretty smooth startup.. :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have about 125 hours on my 5040 and haven't experienced the "high fan on start up"--yet. These power supply failures that keep showing up really concern me. I've got until the 29th to return mine for a full refund...........

Ed

Uhhh, just edited to HAVEN'T. 136 hours.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have about 125 hours on my 5040 and have experienced the "high fan on start up"--yet. These power supply failures that keep showing up really concern me. I've got until the 29th to return mine for a full refund...........

Ed
Don't know how wide spread this power supply issue is but there are two of us (myself included) now on our 3rd projector. Today, when I spoke with Epson Advanced Support, they acknowledged the issue and it was clear to me that they are aware of it. The guy on the phone went so far as to say that he believes all of the "bad inventory" should now be out of circulation. So, for a second replacement, they will be sending me a new one again. The 1st replacement was also a new one. Apparently, the difference between a new one and a refurbished one (from a visual perspective at least) is that the box says "refurbished" if it's refurbished and it won't say that if it's new. Either way, it's alarming that this is happening. Moreover, I'm going to ask to have my warranty period start the day I receive the projector again which is hopefully tomorrow. Why should we be held accountable for poorly manufactured products from Epson in this case. They should immediately restart your warranty period. I'm also following up with my dealer to see if I can get a brand new (fully packaged with all of the contents) projector also. Then, if that's possible, I'll decide which one to keep but it's like someone said earlier "Russian Roulette" with these things.

There should be an Epson rep on here addressing this issue. Good luck to everyone else who experiences this issue or better yet good luck in not experiencing this issue altogether.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Moreover, I'm going to ask to have my warranty period start the day I receive the projector again which is hopefully tomorrow. Why should we be held accountable for poorly manufactured products from Epson in this case. They should immediately restart your warranty period.
This is a strange demand.
You got those replacements because you had warranty.
If you reset the warranty after every replacement, then it's infinite warranty..

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is a strange demand.
You got those replacements because you had warranty.
If you reset the warranty after every replacement, then it's infinite warranty..
You wouldn’t be saying that if this was happening to you. It’s a perfectly valid request considering the circumstances. If it’s a 1 year warranty, as an example, and I have 1 month left on the warranty then I have to hope and pray that I don’t get another dud that dies after the 1 year warranty. How’s that fair to me then if Epson just says we’re sorry but it’s out of warranty-you must have received one of our last defective units but there’s nothing we can do now. Come on man - we’re the little people here.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
I have about 125 hours on my 5040 and have experienced the "high fan on start up"--yet. These power supply failures that keep showing up really concern me. I've got until the 29th to return mine for a full refund...........

Ed
I would get out while you can before Epson sends you into refurb hell.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Thanks again Juiced, I will need to check again this weekend and get back to you.

On a secondary note, does anyone think it's better to run the Linker at the XB1X or at the projector? Any thoughts including pros and cons, please.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
What kind of issues are you having?
Ok, I finally found the time to re-install the HDFury Linker between the AVR and Projector. I figured out the error of my ways, I had inadvertently checked Enable Custom HDR (Custom HDR Injection) under the HDR/AVI tab :frown:. I now have an HDR signal for my peripheral devices. Hopefully this will help someone down the road. Thanks Juiced for your offering of assistance.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here is my final update on the color banding in 4K/HDR using the ATV 4K. I found that the culprit was the optical audio extractor in-line with my HDMI. The device was supposed to successfully pass 4K/60/4:4:4, but it always added banding. I replaced that unit with a different one, and the banding is gone. I was getting stuttering at 4K/30/4:2:2, but dropping down to 4K/24/4:2:2 fixed it. So for anyone experiencing banding, I'd check your cables and anything between your source at the 5040. I know this is basic HT101, but it often bears repeating.

Now I'm off to fight another battle on why my NAS isn't able to serve high bit-rate files without choking. Until then guys. :cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey guys,

I have the Epson 5040 with an Oppo 203. I have a strange problem that does not occur often. While watching a regular blu ray movie it will shift from 16:9 to 2.35.1. Back and forth sometimes alot. Other times it will go through almost the entire move at 16:9 and then shift to 2.35:1 for the last 20 mins. It did this most recently with Dunkirk.

Not sure what is happening but would like to figure it out.

Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Hey guys,

I have the Epson 5040 with an Oppo 203. I have a strange problem that does not occur often. While watching a regular blu ray movie it will shift from 16:9 to 2.35.1. Back and forth sometimes alot. Other times it will go through almost the entire move at 16:9 and then shift to 2.35:1 for the last 20 mins. It did this most recently with Dunkirk.

Thanks again!!
For Dunkirk it's normal.

The only problem with Dunkirk’s images is shifting aspect ratios. For while the scenes shot on 70mm appear in a screen-filling 1.78:1 ratio, the 65mm sections are presented in what looks like a 2.20:1 aspect ratio. As a result, the film sometimes suddenly cuts from a full, screen-filling image to one with black bars above and below it. This can be quite jarring on occasion - especially where the cut to a shot with black bars on it comes right out of a really bright screen-filling 70mm aerial combat shot.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/12/19/dunkirk-4k-blu-ray-review-a-picture-quality-masterclass/#394bbd3a3b8e

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks again!!
You didn't mention all the titles but you are watching movies that have variable aspect ratios which is normal. Dunkirk and several other movies have scenes filmed with IMAX cameras which expand the screen and sometimes the aspect ratio can switch back and forth a lot like Transformers The Last Knight.

Here is a thread with the movies released with the variable aspect ratios on the disks. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2-35-1-constant-image-height-chat/2811713-list-variable-aspect-ratio-movies-blu-ray.html

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks again!!

What does it do when it changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What does it do when it changes?

As described, the aspect ratio changes from 2:35 to 16:9. If you're viewing on a 16:9 screen 2:35 will have the black bars above & below the picture in 2:35 then the aspect ratio will change to 16:9 and the picture will fill the entire screen.
Hope this helps. Yer welcome....again!;)

Ed

Only happens on a few films that were made this way. Dunkirk is one of them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
How widespread is the power issue with Epson 5040UB/6040UB? I'm new to front projector and did some quite of research. Epson 5040ub is my top choice for overall value (picture quality, features, and cost). The recent discount makes it more appealing. But then, this power issue thing makes me step back and rethink. Should I take my chance?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well this sucks. I tried the recommendation from HDfury with my Linker and Projector with bad results. My issue is that when I use the Linker with my PC, it thinks the native resolution is 1080p and some games won’t even play at all no matter what resolution I select. My original setup was 50ft HDMI from Projector to Linker and then a 6ft HDMI from Linker to Receiver. All was good with my Panny 4K player, Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. 4K HDR no problems. PC was only registering 1080p.

I tried the recommendation from HDfury which was to have a shorter run between my projector and Linker. So I used a 6ft and even tried a 4ft HDMI from the Projector to the Linker and then used the 50ft from the Linker to my Receiver. When I did it this way, I got no picture at all. I could hear the sound on my Xbox but no picture. Tried with my Panny Blu Ray Player and Xbox One X. No picture. This is very frustrating.......

12821 - 12840 of 20173 Posts