AVS Forum banner

12841 - 12860 of 20180 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
guys can anyone tell me what signal should i feed my pj for better PQ?

1080p with 4K enchancement on, FI enabled or 2160p with 4K enchacement off and FI disabled?

when using 2160p signal, color depth is set to 8 bit 4:4:4 BT.2020, HDR,on any framerate
when using 1080p signal, color depth is set to 12 bit 4:4:4 BT.2020, HDR on any framerate

does the hdfury linker have any improvements on pj?

btw, i did some tests myself and im almost convinced that using 1080p signal on pj with upscaling, the image is superior to than just send native 4k signal to pj, but i need to confirm this with others.

thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts

1080p with 4K enchancement on, FI enabled or 2160p with 4K enchacement off and FI disabled?

when using 2160p signal, color depth is set to 8 bit 4:4:4 BT.2020, HDR,on any framerate
when using 1080p signal, color depth is set to 12 bit 4:4:4 BT.2020, HDR on any framerate

btw, i did some tests myself and im almost convinced that using 1080p signal on pj with upscaling, the image is superior to than just send native 4k signal to pj, but i need to confirm this with others.

thanks
I kind of agree but I have not downloaded the new firmware yet.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

thanks

Interesting. Are we able to still have HDR even when a 4K blu-ray is being downscaled to 1080p? If that’s the case, I would more than likely watch in 1080p with 4k enhancement and FI on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting. Are we able to still have HDR even when a 4K blu-ray is being downscaled to 1080p? If that’s the case, I would more than likely watch in 1080p with 4k enhancement and FI on.

yes you can use HDR even when the signal is 1080p. pj automatically detects HDR metadata and acts accordingly. i did some more tests last night and i can assure you that the PQ is far superior when using epson's upscaler. i noticed less artifacts, better colour reproduction, but sharpness seems to be the same in both scenarios.
I guess that's the whole point of this machine. never forget that this pj is still a 1080p, yes it accepts native 2160p signal but i think if you want to experience the full potential of this machine, is to stick with 1080p signal and leave the rest to be processed by its upscaler.

but i want to hear what you think as well.

i ordered the hdfury linker, but dont know if this will help in any way. if the image is better with 1080p signal, then i dont see the point of using the linker.

but have to make sure.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
yes you can use HDR even when the signal is 1080p. pj automatically detects HDR metadata and acts accordingly. i did some more tests last night and i can assure you that the PQ is far superior when using epson's upscaler. i noticed less artifacts, better colour reproduction, but sharpness seems to be the same in both scenarios.

I guess that's the whole point of this machine. never forget that this pj is still a 1080p, yes it accepts native 2160p signal but i think if you want to experience the full potential of this machine, is to stick with 1080p signal and leave the rest to be processed by its upscaler.

but i want to hear what you think as well.

i ordered the hdfury linker, but dont know if this will help in any way. if the image is better with 1080p signal, then i dont see the point of using the linker.

but have to make sure.

Well that’s very exciting because I’m a huge fan of FI and I’ve been very disappointed to not be able to use FI when watching a 4K movie. I always thought that in order to get the most detail out of this projector, you have to watch something in native 4K and not use the 4K enhancement option. You mentioned you ordered the Linker but not sure if it would help in any way. What do you mean by the Linker helping with a 4K movie? I have a Linker and I use it to be able to get 4K HDR Gaming on my Pro and One X. Didn’t know this might be able to improve the picture with a 4K HDR movie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well that’s very exciting because I’m a huge fan of FI and I’ve been very disappointed to not be able to use FI when watching a 4K movie. I always thought that in order to get the most detail out of this projector, you have to watch something in native 4K and not use the 4K enhancement option. You mentioned you ordered the Linker but not sure if it would help in any way. What do you mean by the Linker helping with a 4K movie? I have a Linker and I use it to be able to get 4K HDR Gaming on my Pro and One X. Didn’t know this might be able to improve the picture with a 4K HDR movie.

well i ordered the linker for using it with PS4 pro and as for movies, as of now when using native 4k signal, i get only 8 bit 4:4:4 BT2020 HDR, and with the linker, i should be able to scale it to10 bit 4:2:0 HDR color depth, which is the maximum that this machine can take. But this is when the signal is native 4k, if i stick to 1080p input signal because of better PQ, then theres no need of the linker because in 1080p signal i can get 12 bit BT2020 and HDR just fine.

when you play 4k movies and have the signal on 2160p, what color depth info u get? as i said, mine is 8 bit 4:4:4 BT2020 HDR

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
well i ordered the linker for using it with PS4 pro and as for movies, as of now when using native 4k signal, i get only 8 bit 4:4:4 BT2020 HDR, and with the linker, i should be able to scale it to10 bit 4:2:0 HDR color depth, which is the maximum that this machine can take. But this is when the signal is native 4k, if i stick to 1080p input signal because of better PQ, then theres no need of the linker because in 1080p signal i can get 12 bit BT2020 and HDR just fine.

when you play 4k movies and have the signal on 2160p, what color depth info u get? as i said, mine is 8 bit 4:4:4 BT2020 HDR

I’ll check shortly and let you know what color depth I get with a native 4K blu ray and the Linker hooked up.

Question about watching a 4K movie in 1080p with 4K enhancement. So, when playing a native 4K UHD movie in 1080p, are you still getting the benefits of the 4K disc or is it like watching the standard 1080p movie with HDR? What I mean by that is if I were to watch, let’s say Guardians of The Galaxy 2, 4K UHD movie downscaled to 1080p with 4K enhancement, would it be the same as watching the standard 1080p blu Ray using the 4K enhancement? All HDR aside, I’m just curious if you lose the upgrade from standard 1080p blu-ray to 4K UHD because you’re downscaling it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Looks like I’m getting 12 bit with native 4K and HDR on my Panny 4K Player

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ll check shortly and let you know what color depth I get with a native 4K blu ray and the Linker hooked up.

Question about watching a 4K movie in 1080p with 4K enhancement. So, when playing a native 4K UHD movie in 1080p, are you still getting the benefits of the 4K disc or is it like watching the standard 1080p movie with HDR? What I mean by that is if I were to watch, let’s say Guardians of The Galaxy 2, 4K UHD movie downscaled to 1080p with 4K enhancement, would it be the same as watching the standard 1080p blu Ray using the 4K enhancement? All HDR aside, I’m just curious if you lose the upgrade from standard 1080p blu-ray to 4K UHD because you’re downscaling it.

in theory yes, that would be as if watching the 1080p disc since the resolution is downscaled, BUT the bitrate does not change which will give you better PQ, since the UHD's bitrate is way higher than BDs, and that means more data to be processed.

Try testing it for yourself. Use an image which has a uniform picture, for example i used Blue Planet II UHD in frames where there is a lot of openness, i.e. blue skies or underwater with light passing through etc. and what i noticed is that when the signal is 4K native, i get this kind of pixelated circles on areas when the colour/brightness slightly changes, where in 1080p signal this is far less noticeable.

I believe that when 4k signal is fed to epson, the image is less processed, its pixel shifting is not working as it was designed to, hence the 4k enchancement option set to disabled.

i might be wrong, but thats the reason i came here to discuss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like I’m getting 12 bit with native 4K and HDR on my Panny 4K Player

well, thats the reason im getting the linker, for some reason when signal is 4K, color depth is automatically set to 8 bit 4:4:4. Do you use linker for all inputs or only for consoles?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
in theory yes, that would be as if watching the 1080p disc since the resolution is downscaled, BUT the bitrate does not change which will give you better PQ, since the UHD's bitrate is way higher than BDs, and that means more data to be processed.

Try testing it for yourself. Use an image which has a uniform picture, for example i used Blue Planet II UHD in frames where there is a lot of openness, i.e. blue skies or underwater with light passing through etc. and what i noticed is that when the signal is 4K native, i get this kind of pixelated circles on areas when the colour/brightness slightly changes, where in 1080p signal this is far less noticeable.

I believe that when 4k signal is fed to epson, the image is less processed, its pixel shifting is not working as it was designed to, hence the 4k enchancement option set to disabled.

i might be wrong, but thats the reason i came here to discuss.

I’ll do that and let you know my findings. One thing though, I set my 4K player to output at 1080p instead of 4K and I’m not getting HDR. Here’s what my info screen shows.

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ll do that and let you know my findings. One thing though, I set my 4K player to output at 1080p instead of 4K and I’m not getting HDR. Here’s what my info screen shows.

i think thats due to your player. By setting it to 1080p, it automatically discards the HDR metadata. I will post some photos later this evening.
in your case then, it would be advisable to stick to 4k input signal then since u get the HDR and BT.2020.

but nevertheless, do try testing the PQ between 1080p and 2160p signals.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i think thats due to your player. By setting it to 1080p, it automatically discards the HDR metadata. I will post some photos later this evening.

in your case then, it would be advisable to stick to 4k input signal then since u get the HDR and BT.2020.

but nevertheless, do try testing the PQ between 1080p and 2160p signals.

That sucks. I was really hoping to get FI and HDR. Which player do you have?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Two questions...
1) what the difference between normal iris and high speed iris?

2) I have 4K enhancement set to off, yet my UHD/BD player (Panny UB400) detects the projector is 4K compatible and sends a upscaled 4K signal when playing 1080p BD. Of course I can force the Panny UB400 to only output 1080p when playing BD's but means I have to change that setting then when want to play 2160p UHD's. Anything that can be done from the Epson side to resolve this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Two questions...
2) I have 4K enhancement set to off, yet my UHD/BD player (Panny UB400) detects the projector is 4K compatible and sends a upscaled 4K signal when playing 1080p BD. Of course I can force the Panny UB400 to only output 1080p when playing BD's but means I have to change that setting then when want to play 2160p UHD's. Anything that can be done from the Epson side to resolve this?
In the UB400 'video output setting', under 'output resolution', select 'source direct'. This should resolve your issue.

PS: This is of course presuming the 'Panasonic UB400' has such a setting option. The Oppo UDP-203 does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two questions...
1) what the difference between normal iris and high speed iris?

1) normal iris vs high iris has do to with the response time on how fast this mechanism works. normal iris is slower, and more noticeable to viewer when picture changes fast from light to dark or vise versa; you can see that the iris takes a bit time to adjust. In high iris mode this is less noticeable, iris works faster and therefore the transition from light to dark or vise versa is faster.
I think the only reason you have to choose between those,is because iris use to make some noise when working and some people dont like having to listen to the iris mechanism. one other reason might be because normal iris is more power efficient. I always use it on High Iris mode.

2) No. Epson only receives the signal you sent from your device. you cannot set on pj resolution or color space, framerate and so on. These settings are configured only by output device (ie. players, consoles, AVRs etc).

hope that helps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In the UB400 'video output setting', under 'output resolution', select 'source direct'. This should resolve your issue.

PS: This is of course presuming the 'Panasonic UB400' has such a setting option. The Oppo UDP-203 does.
Unfortunately no such setting, or that I havn't found it. Just another reason to get the Oppo! Always wanted one but its alot of money

·
Registered
317 Posts

Funny thing to me is, your 1080p SDR image there in the background looks slightly better than your 2160p HDR image. Can't tell any discernible sharpness difference, but the color and shadow detail looks better on the 1080p SDR, IMO.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Funny thing to me is, your 1080p SDR image there in the background looks slightly better than your 2160p HDR image. Can't tell any discernible sharpness difference, but the color and shadow detail looks better on the 1080p SDR, IMO.

Ha! I’m actually glad you said that because that’s how I felt when I was going back and forth between the two last night. Went from 4K HDR to 1080P 4K enhancement. I use digital cinema for both. I would say about 80% of the time, 1080p looked either better or identical to the 4K HDR image and only briefly did the 4K image look better.

Here’s a better comparison shot. Let me know what you think.

4K HDR

1080p 4K enhancement

12841 - 12860 of 20180 Posts