AVS Forum banner

12861 - 12880 of 20099 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Ha! I’m actually glad you said that because that’s how I felt when I was going back and forth between the two last night. Went from 4K HDR to 1080P 4K enhancement. I use digital cinema for both. I would say about 80% of the time, 1080p looked either better or identical to the 4K HDR image and only briefly did the 4K image look better.

Here’s a better comparison shot. Let me know what you think.

4K HDR

1080p 4K enhancement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ Very similar, but I actually slightly prefer the 1080p

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. Very annoying. Does this happen in the theater? I wish I could remember which movies it has happened on so I could cross check the list.
I wanted to assure you that it wasn't a projector issue...but Christopher Nolan has done this in other movies like The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Also occurs in Tron: Legacy. Google 'changing aspect ratios in movies' for more information.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Well, Reburb#2 is in the process of going back to Indiana. I have a big blue blob on the right side of the screen. I noticed it the week I installed it, but told myself I could live with it, as it was only visible when there was no signal. Well, last night it started showing through on dark scenes both on DirecTV and AppleTV.

And get this...

They currently can't process the pre-ship exchange right now, because their system won't give them an amount to put on hold on a credit card! I'm waiting for a call, but you beet I'm calling back before they close for the day.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
in case anyone's wondering, i can get BT.2020 HDR and FI in 1080p signal

Lucky! I wish I was able to get that with my Panny 4K player

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Ha! I’m actually glad you said that because that’s how I felt when I was going back and forth between the two last night. Went from 4K HDR to 1080P 4K enhancement. I use digital cinema for both. I would say about 80% of the time, 1080p looked either better or identical to the 4K HDR image and only briefly did the 4K image look better.

Here’s a better comparison shot. Let me know what you think.
HDR will look worse than SDR, if there's not enough lumens to produce at lease ~100 nits peak, and if you don't calibrate it (HDR is far more demanding than SDR in terms of calibration).

In any case, for this kind of pictures where there is no "specular highlights" or colours outside the Rec709 gamut, even properly calibrated HDR won't look any better than SDR.

·
Registered
133 Posts
fyi,

Epson came through as they sent me a brand new projector, double boxed with all the bells & whistles inside, yesterday to replace the 2nd defective unit that blew on me because of an apparent power supply issue. I hoisted it up yesterday and it's working so fingers crossed. This is my 3rd unit as the original one and the second replacement (which they claimed was new but didn't arrive packaged like a new one - just the projector single boxed) both died as they would not power up at all.

Anyways, crossing my fingers again with this one but at least it's new.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ok, I finally found the time to re-install the HDFury Linker between the AVR and Projector. I figured out the error of my ways, I had inadvertently checked Enable Custom HDR (Custom HDR Injection) under the HDR/AVI tab :frown:. I now have an HDR signal for my peripheral devices. Hopefully this will help someone down the road. Thanks Juiced for your offering of assistance.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
No problem, glad I can help!

guys can anyone tell me what signal should i feed my pj for better PQ?

1080p with 4K enchancement on, FI enabled or 2160p with 4K enchacement off and FI disabled?

when using 2160p signal, color depth is set to 8 bit 4:4:4 BT.2020, HDR,on any framerate
when using 1080p signal, color depth is set to 12 bit 4:4:4 BT.2020, HDR on any framerate

does the hdfury linker have any improvements on pj?

btw, i did some tests myself and im almost convinced that using 1080p signal on pj with upscaling, the image is superior to than just send native 4k signal to pj, but i need to confirm this with others.

thanks
well i ordered the linker for using it with PS4 pro and as for movies, as of now when using native 4k signal, i get only 8 bit 4:4:4 BT2020 HDR, and with the linker, i should be able to scale it to10 bit 4:2:0 HDR color depth, which is the maximum that this machine can take. But this is when the signal is native 4k, if i stick to 1080p input signal because of better PQ, then theres no need of the linker because in 1080p signal i can get 12 bit BT2020 and HDR just fine.

when you play 4k movies and have the signal on 2160p, what color depth info u get? as i said, mine is 8 bit 4:4:4 BT2020 HDR
Can you give us more details on what source you are using?

You cannot use 4Ke or FI when you are receiving a 4K signal. Its greyed out

The reason you are seeing strange artifacts with 4K is because you are most likely getting banding due to it being 8 bit.

What source are you using to get 4K/8bit?

I use an Xbox One X for UHD movies and Amazon UHD (with no linker) I get 4K/24hz 12bit HDR, this signal looks much better then 1080p/HDR when I compare it. I think your issue is because of the 8 bit that you feel it does not look as good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I'm ready to pull the trigger on an HD Fury Vertex... What can you guys tell me about setting this up?

Edit:my bad found the official thread, heading there
Hi!
I have the Vertex and it works for my very very good!I but the Vertex
between my Av( Marantz 6011) and m Epson 9300.
So you can get and up and Downscale more or less every source you have:
For the First Output:
For my Xbox one X: Input:4K/Hdr 12Bit to Output:1080p/Hdr 12 Bit instead 4k/Hdr/8bit
For my Ps4 Pro: Input:4K/Hdr 12Bit to Output: 1080p/Hdr 12 Bit instead 4k/Hdr/8bit
For My Himedia Q10 Only Passthrough the 4K/24 Hz
For My PC i go to 4k/60 Hz
The 2. Output goes to a Lg 4k/hdr/tv
And you can set it separately and there i setup
for my sources Passthrough
Cu
Fritz

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi!
I have the Vertex and it works for my very very good!I but the Vertex
between my Av( Marantz 6011) and m Epson 9300.
So you can get and up and Downscale more or less every source you have:
For the First Output:
For my Xbox one X: Input:4K/Hdr 12Bit to Output:1080p/Hdr 12 Bit instead 4k/Hdr/8bit
For my Ps4 Pro: Input:4K/Hdr 12Bit to Output: 1080p/Hdr 12 Bit instead 4k/Hdr/8bit
For My Himedia Q10 Only Passthrough the 4K/24 Hz
For My PC i go to 4k/60 Hz
The 2. Output goes to a Lg 4k/hdr/tv
And you can set it separately and there i setup
for my sources Passthrough
Cu
Fritz

So what all is exactly involved in getting it setup?

And this will basically give me full bandwidth hdr for my epson?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Been using oledurts latest HDR bright cinema with "expanded" and got new stuwart cima nueve screen so decided to use my maniscolia test patterns and need confirmation that 1000 nit should barely be blinking on test pattern (white clipping). I thought he stated somewhere that he clipped whites at 1200 but could be wrong. Can't find the post where he posted that info, I pmed him but no luck.

His settings are by far the best.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
So what all is exactly involved in getting it setup?

And this will basically give me full bandwidth hdr for my epson?
I think more you cant get out of the Epson!
The Vertex is More or less the same as the linker,
But you have 2 Outputs and you can set each separate for up and Downscale with different Bitrates.
Here is the Vertex Helpdesk.
You can ask your Special Question here in the live Support!

https://discordapp.com/channels/314050739771146241/326342752000278538

Cu

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem, glad I can help!

Can you give us more details on what source you are using?

You cannot use 4Ke or FI when you are receiving a 4K signal. Its greyed out

The reason you are seeing strange artifacts with 4K is because you are most likely getting banding due to it being 8 bit.

What source are you using to get 4K/8bit?

I use an Xbox One X for UHD movies and Amazon UHD (with no linker) I get 4K/24hz 12bit HDR, this signal looks much better then 1080p/HDR when I compare it. I think your issue is because of the 8 bit that you feel it does not look as good.
i tried several sources like consoles, PC and media players. whenever the source is 4k my pj automatically sets to 8-bit 4:4:4 color depth. i also tried several hdmi cables directly on pj. i also bypassed the hdmi signal from my Denon AVR and nothing, all the same.
im hoping that the linker will resolve this. i dont want to start thinking that my pj is defective yet.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For someone like me thats new in the AV world, I have a real hard time understanding bc I dont know what it means when you guys talk about 4:4:4 or 8-bit or 60hz. Is that the most recommended setting for 4k movies?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wanted to assure you that it wasn't a projector issue...but Christopher Nolan has done this in other movies like The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Also occurs in Tron: Legacy. Google 'changing aspect ratios in movies' for more information.
Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
i tried several sources like consoles, PC and media players. whenever the source is 4k my pj automatically sets to 8-bit 4:4:4 color depth. i also tried several hdmi cables directly on pj. i also bypassed the hdmi signal from my Denon AVR and nothing, all the same.
im hoping that the linker will resolve this. i dont want to start thinking that my pj is defective yet.
Have you tried an actual 4K Blu-ray player like the Sony X800? Or are all your sources streaming?

·
Registered
94 Posts
For someone like me thats new in the AV world, I have a real hard time understanding bc I dont know what it means when you guys talk about 4:4:4 or 8-bit or 60hz. Is that the most recommended setting for 4k movies?
To learn the basics, I suggest you digest this article that is linked in the OP: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

The Epson can only handle signals under 10.2Gbps, thus the green numbers in the HDMI data rate chart are the only modes it can run. This bandwidth limit has the greatest impact on HDR content. Typically HDR (movies) are converted by your player and sent as 12-bit 4K @ 24/30Hz. But some people run (mostly for games) at 8-bit with help from a linker device so that they can achieve almost-HDR 4K @ 60Hz. The downside with this is that there is less color range and sometimes this is visible with banding artifacts.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am reading the article now. Thank you.

12861 - 12880 of 20099 Posts