AVS Forum banner

12901 - 12920 of 20114 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
HDR mode is not going to fix his issue. The issue is he is sending an SDR signal. Changing the Projector to "HDR Auto, 1 etc" Will not fix this. The signal is wrong.

Do not run it through the Oppo, you need to change your Apple TV settings

When I try turning on hdr on apple tv, this comes up. Im using high speed cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
yes you can use HDR even when the signal is 1080p. pj automatically detects HDR metadata and acts accordingly. i did some more tests last night and i can assure you that the PQ is far superior when using epson's upscaler. i noticed less artifacts, better colour reproduction, but sharpness seems to be the same in both scenarios.
I guess that's the whole point of this machine. never forget that this pj is still a 1080p, yes it accepts native 2160p signal but i think if you want to experience the full potential of this machine, is to stick with 1080p signal and leave the rest to be processed by its upscaler.

but i want to hear what you think as well.

i ordered the hdfury linker, but dont know if this will help in any way. if the image is better with 1080p signal, then i dont see the point of using the linker.

but have to make sure.
I think your right to be honest, I have noticed in 4K HDR you get grains or pixel shifting. My questions are

1. Do use use the UHD disc since its HDR and regular bluray is not HDR.

2. I.have the oppo, what setting do I need to set it to have 1080P HDR?

3. My linker goes to receiver to Epson so everything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are you connected to HDMI 1 on your projector? Also make sure you are not using any sort of scaling in your AVR

Yes hdmi# 1 slot

I went to format and it allowed me to choose 4k hdr 25hz.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don’t know what’s scaling is on my av receiver means

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
in theory yes, that would be as if watching the 1080p disc since the resolution is downscaled, BUT the bitrate does not change which will give you better PQ, since the UHD's bitrate is way higher than BDs, and that means more data to be processed.

Try testing it for yourself. Use an image which has a uniform picture, for example i used Blue Planet II UHD in frames where there is a lot of openness, i.e. blue skies or underwater with light passing through etc. and what i noticed is that when the signal is 4K native, i get this kind of pixelated circles on areas when the colour/brightness slightly changes, where in 1080p signal this is far less noticeable.

I believe that when 4k signal is fed to epson, the image is less processed, its pixel shifting is not working as it was designed to, hence the 4k enchancement option set to disabled.

i might be wrong, but thats the reason i came here to discuss.
Couldn't we also do this in gaming with xbox X? 4K game set xbox to 1080P and run 1080P 12 bit HDR? I love this thinking...you could then still use oledurts or HV with this still.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Couldn't we also do this in gaming with xbox X? 4K game set xbox to 1080P and run 1080P 12 bit HDR? I love this thinking...you could then still use oledurts or HV with this still.

Xbox does not allow you to force 1080p HDR. PS4 Pro does though

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes hdmi# 1 slot

I went to format and it allowed me to choose 4k hdr 25hz.

Well that didnt work. Still shows sdr bt709 on pj info menu

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok,so it allowed you to select 4k/24 correct? What does your projector info menu say now? Scaling is in your video settings of your AVR.

So the i/p scaler should be disabled right?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Confused about benefits of HDfury Linker. I have a Yamaha 3050 AVR (mode 2) in between Epson & my 4K media players (nVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K & Zidoo X9S).

For now, I pretty much need to force [email protected] or 24.000 to get 10-bit (or 12-bit as Epson likes/shows) & HDR to work properly. Problem is 29.970/30/59.94/60 stuff, both 1080p and 4K. Anyone have anything similar to my setup, and if so, what is your Linker setting?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have to say 1080p with 4:2:2 12bit HDR with Epson 4K enhancement is better than 4K 8bit.

What's weird is harpervision is much better on movies than oledurt settings but on 4K gaming oledurts beats harper vision. The harpervision is not as crisp and lack detail on gaming but in movies it has more detail, better skin tone better detail ect.

Weird to me to be honest

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
1) normal iris vs high iris has do to with the response time on how fast this mechanism works. normal iris is slower, and more noticeable to viewer when picture changes fast from light to dark or vise versa; you can see that the iris takes a bit time to adjust. In high iris mode this is less noticeable, iris works faster and therefore the transition from light to dark or vise versa is faster.
I think the only reason you have to choose between those,is because iris use to make some noise when working and some people dont like having to listen to the iris mechanism. one other reason might be because normal iris is more power efficient. I always use it on High Iris mode.

2) No. Epson only receives the signal you sent from your device. you cannot set on pj resolution or color space, framerate and so on. These settings are configured only by output device (ie. players, consoles, AVRs etc).

hope that helps.
I wonder why oledurt has"Auto iris" set to off? Your post makes me think I need it on high, this setting doesn't effect picture quality correct? Seems to give a slight bit more light to picture....I could be wrong

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
in case anyone's wondering, i can get BT.2020 HDR and FI in 1080p signal

What does FI do? I never really looked into this setting.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
HDR will look worse than SDR, if there's not enough lumens to produce at lease ~100 nits peak, and if you don't calibrate it (HDR is far more demanding than SDR in terms of calibration).

In any case, for this kind of pictures where there is no "specular highlights" or colours outside the Rec709 gamut, even properly calibrated HDR won't look any better than SDR.
You may know the answer to this, when calibrating contrast via manascolia test patterns should 1000nit on test pattern barely be blinking?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
In order for a video projector to achieve a light output equivalent to 1,000 Nits the projector needs to be able to output as much as 3,426 ANSI Lumens, which is out of range for most dedicated home theater projectors.

12901 - 12920 of 20114 Posts