AVS Forum banner

12921 - 12940 of 19986 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
In order for a video projector to achieve a light output equivalent to 1,000 Nits the projector needs to be able to output as much as 3,426 ANSI Lumens, which is out of range for most dedicated home theater projectors.
we use tone mapping for this so can calibrate to 1000 or 4000 nit masters which you can verify against ryans patterns

·
Registered
207 Posts
what brand 4k cables are yall using with oppo 203 to epson 5040? im having problems with sound but no picture. keep getting not supported mesage but if i unplug the hdmi and plug it back in itll show the picture. thinking maybe poor cables

·
Registered
786 Posts
what brand 4k cables are yall using with oppo 203 to epson 5040? im having problems with sound but no picture. keep getting not supported mesage but if i unplug the hdmi and plug it back in itll show the picture. thinking maybe poor cables
Monoprice "Premium Certified High Speed"

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 6' HDMI cable that came with the Oppo 203 is a premium certified cable. I have that running from the 203 to the AVR and a 25' premium certified cable from Monoprice running from the AVR to the 5040. Works flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
6040UB refurb #3 arrived a little while ago, and is warming up to room temperature before I get started taking down #2 . I'm hoping that this one was returned for a bad power supply and fixed, instead of the obvious panel problem #2 had. I'm almost afraid of firing this one up to see what's wrong with this one.

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
6040UB refurb #3 arrived a little while ago, and is warming up to room temperature before I get started taking down #2 . I'm hoping that this one was returned for a bad power supply and fixed, instead of the obvious panel problem #2 had. I'm almost afraid of firing this one up to see what's wrong with this one.
We're pullin' for ya, good luck!;)

Ed

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome me to the club, ladies and germs. Just got back from Abt electronics with a 5040UB. I price matched Abe’s for Maine and got a warranty.

I can’t wait to start experimenting. I don’t even have an screen yet. No UHD discs either. I’ll probably try some YouTube and video games to start with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
@megametaman I believe this is "no price talk" thread.
You have been warned... :)
Hey. So sorry. I just realized that after the fact. I was so excited to get a decent deal. I'll go back and edit my post.

Tested out my 5040UB last night and it is so awesome! I can't wait to mess with it some more. I still need a UHD blu ray player. If anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it. I wish PS5 or at least a PS4 with a player existed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good day. Can somebody tell me (or better show me) if the Pannasonic dmp900 is worth it if im only interested in its 1080p to 4k upscaling?
Does it do a better job than the Projector?

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey. So sorry. I just realized that after the fact. I was so excited to get a decent deal. I'll go back and edit my post.

Tested out my 5040ub last night and it is so awesome! I can't wait to mess with it some more. I still need a uhd blu ray player. If anyone has a suggestion i would appreciate it. I wish ps5 or at least a ps4 with a player existed.
ps5?

·
Registered
142 Posts
PlayStation 5

I can only assume you are trying to troll. But, yes, PS5 is a standard abbreviation for PlayStation 5.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not realised yet!
" I wish ps5 or at least a ps4 with a player existed."

Yup. A troll. One who can't read too good, neither.

Back on topic.

I am putting the 5040UB in my basement and am considering several installation options. I was hoping to get feedback.

First some background:
My basement 7 foot ceilings with parts as low as 6 feet. Right now I plan to put the projector in the middle of the basement facing a side wall. THe middle of the basment has a separating wall that only take up half the length of the basement. This wall is 8 feet wide and will serve as the back wall. The separating wall is about 11 feet away from the side wall where the image will be projected.

#1 - Put a hole in the wall and project through the hole directly onto the side wall. This would allow me to center the imagine directly across from the projector.

#2 - Move the projector over to a doorway that never gets used and project through this "doorway" (more like just space with no wall). Doing this would make me have to horizontal lens shift almost the whole 40% or so to one side.

#1 - Advantages
- Possibly some projector noise will be reduced.
- wont be able to physically see projector
- cool look, like a movie theater
- Doesn't take up space in doorway
- I want to pay a former student to paint a mural with the projector opening as part of it (I think this would be cool)
Disadvantages
- have to put a hole in a wall
- harder to change later
- standing up from MLP will result in shadow on screen

#2 - Advantages
- No hole in the wall
- Easier to change mind later
- Less likely to put shadow on wall (?)
Disadvantages
- image quality (?)
- takes up doorway space
- doesn't look as cool

I love the fact that the 5040UB has good lens shift. This allows me to shift the screen to the side, but I'm not sure if that's detrimental to the PQ. I know that keystoning is, but not sure about shifting.

ANy help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the new firmware making HDR too dark? I feel like I liked it better back on my old version (I upgraded from 108 to 111). I even tried Auto (Bright) mode and it's still quite dark compared to what I had before, which was (I think) HDR 1.

12921 - 12940 of 19986 Posts