AVS Forum banner

12961 - 12980 of 19986 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Roku Ultra does not play nice with HDR and the Epson's bandwidth limits. You'll get a lot of HDMI handshaking between menus and most apps will not send 12-bit 24Hz HDR. I personally disable HDR in the display settings on my Roku. If I want HDR with Netflix or Amazon I use the Samsung K8500's apps which support forcing 12-bit 24Hz HDR.
I too have an 8500. When I stream Netflix 60 Hz it won't convert to 24/30?? My UBe won't handle that if UHD HDR.. :mad:

Yours will?? :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I looked up both of those cables quick and both look like they pass 4k/60 unless you have a different model of those cables then what I found.

When I get a minute I will have to look up the manual on that AVR. But you want to make sure in your video settings in your AVR you are not using any type of video conversion/scaling. You basically do not want the AVR to do anything to the video signal aside from passing it to the Projector. On my Denon if I have my Video output set to AUTO, it does not output an HDR signal. I have to manually select it to output to HDMI 1 which is my HDCP 2.2 port. Not sure if your AVR does the same but its worth a try.

Another quick test if you have not done it is go straight from the Roku to the projectors HDMI 1. And then also try going straight from the Sony BD player to the projectors HDMI 1 port. This way if it works, we know its a setting in the AVR. This is probably the quickest test for you to try.

On your Roku for your Display settings. Do you have it set to AUTO? If so, what other options does it give you? Is there an option for 4K/24hz or 4K/30hz HDR? If so try that instead of auto. Like I said, I have no experience with the Roku. But some streaming devices output @ 4k/60 10-12bit which is an unacceptable signal for the Epson.
Thanks Juiced46 for taking interest in resolving my issue. My AVR does 4k pass through there is no conversion but will check again this weekend and as suggested I will try to connect directly from Roku & sony BP to Epson and verify if any change happens as it has Ruipro hdmi cable.
On Roku I have set to 4k uhd 30Hz HDR as it is not recognizing 60Hz and displaying error that HDMI does not support for every cable i tried.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too have an 8500. When I stream Netflix 60 Hz it won't convert to 24/30?? My UBe won't handle that if UHD HDR.. :mad:

Yours will?? :confused:
I don't know if the UBe has any impact but with a regular cabled setup if you set the following on your 8500 then Netflix/Amazon will convert HDR to 12-bit @ 24Hz:

Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto (this is now split into two options with latest firmware, set both to Auto)
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Auto
HDMI Deep Color: Auto

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hello all...

Firmware 1.11 adds a new tone mapped auto bright HDR 1 mode. I will be having my calibrator come out, and re calibrate digital cinema to see if we can achieve a better result. I have messed around with the gamma on my own and I think there is some potential for a better calibration. Will let you know how things go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello all...

Firmware 1.11 adds a new tone mapped auto bright HDR 1 mode. I will be having my calibrator come out, and re calibrate digital cinema to see if we can achieve a better result. I have messed around with the gamma on my own and I think there is some potential for a better calibration. Will let you know how things go.

awesome looking forward to it

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't know if the UBe has any impact but with a regular cabled setup if you set the following on your 8500 then Netflix/Amazon will convert HDR to 12-bit @ 24Hz:

Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto (this is now split into two options with latest firmware, set both to Auto)
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Auto
HDMI Deep Color: Auto
Thanks for the response! :D

Got it all but Deep Color..

Even their support couldn't help me..

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hello all...

Great news! Your settings have been my baseline through 4 different 6040s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great news! Your settings have been my baseline through 4 different 6040s.
Good afternoon, I bought a projector tw9300 (hc5040) and a little disappointed. In an almost completely darkened room, the gray bars are clearly visible on the top and bottom of the screen and for some reason it is not visible that the aperture on dark scenes has triggered, set a completely black background and it appears dark gray. Still very much distressed the moment when on some bright scenes in the film the image looks faded, as if there is not enough contrast. Do everyone have these problems, or can I get caught up in this? I took the epson tw5300 (hc2040) projector as a replacement and did not see a strong difference unfortunately. I apologize for the bad English I wrote through an interpreter.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In an almost completely darkened room, the gray bars are clearly visible on the top and bottom of the screen and for some reason it is not visible that the aperture on dark scenes has triggered, set a completely black background and it appears dark gray.
Try Natural mode with Gamma -1/-2, Epson Super White ON and Lens Iris -20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which range of hdmi should be set correctly or extended? In the nvidia control panel, you need to set 1080p or 4k own resolution? Are the bars gray at the top and bottom when watching a movie in a dark room? Screen draper luma hcg. There is a mode of digital cinema, eco mode of the lamp, diaphragm closed -20, the speed of the diaphragm is high. The level of black is very weak, slightly better than 5300 (hc2040). On bright scenes the image is contrasted and the contrast is not enough. I will most likely change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Which range of hdmi should be set correctly or extended? In the nvidia control panel, you need to set 1080p or 4k own resolution? Are the bars gray at the top and bottom when watching a movie in a dark room? Screen draper luma hcg. There is a mode of digital cinema, eco mode of the lamp, diaphragm closed -20, the speed of the diaphragm is high. The level of black is very weak, slightly better than 5300 (hc2040). On bright scenes the image is contrasted and the contrast is not enough. I will most likely change.
If you are using a HTPC with Nvidia graphics card then set to 4Kx2k 3840x2160 (native) resolution, 30Hz refresh rate, 32-bit desktop color depth, 12bpc output color depth and YCbCR422 output color format. If Epson Super White is activated HDMI Color Range is greyed out. Try ECO mode with Auto Iris Normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are using a HTPC with Nvidia graphics card then set to 4Kx2k 3840x2160 (native) resolution, 30Hz refresh rate, 32-bit desktop color depth, 12bpc output color depth and YCbCR422 output color format. If Epson Super White is activated HDMI Color Range is greyed out. Try ECO mode with Auto Iris Normal.
Thanks, I'll definitely try these settings.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks, I'll definitely try these settings.
If you don't plan on watching HDR content you can use 60hz refresh rate, 8bpc output color depth and ycbcr420 output color format.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the Apple 4K unit also play nice with the Epson 5040/6040 like the Sammy K8500 does re: Netflix 4K HDR and Amazon 4K HDR at a higher than 8 bit bit rate to avoid banding?
Apple TV plays quite nicely with the 5040. I have been using it for a few months now and am very happy with it. You can force all kinds of resolutions, frame rates, chroma settings, and even HDR upscaling on the Apple TV.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
would i be able to use the 5040 with a throw of 12.6' on a 110" screen? some of the online calculators worry me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would i be able to use the 5040 with a throw of 12.6' on a 110" screen? some of the online calculators worry me.
I have a 110" screen and my 5040UB is 14.8 feet from screen and picture is awesome. My room is somewhat light controlled, but not great. I have diffused light coming in from three different windows. Hope this helps you.:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks Juiced46 for taking interest in resolving my issue. My AVR does 4k pass through there is no conversion but will check again this weekend and as suggested I will try to connect directly from Roku & sony BP to Epson and verify if any change happens as it has Ruipro hdmi cable.
On Roku I have set to 4k uhd 30Hz HDR as it is not recognizing 60Hz and displaying error that HDMI does not support for every cable i tried.
If you look one page back. Lithium stated that the Roku does not work will with HDR with this projector. Like I mentioned, I do not have any experience with it as I do all my streaming through my Xbox One X.

Yes. @ 12.6' Lense to screen you will throw a 110" image using a 1.81x zoom. @ FULL Zoom you can throw a max image size of 128"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello, recently i bought a 4k HDR Zappiti for play 4K contents, but i am a little disappointing with the image quality, i do not understand why i can´t play 4K content with 10bit color depth @ 3840 x 2160 24hz should work correct ? i still prefer the image quality on 1080p :(

Thanks
Luís Amaral

12961 - 12980 of 19986 Posts