AVS Forum banner

19361 - 19380 of 20114 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
When you change your amp, is your hdmi cable running from the amp to the PJ is it hdmi 1.4 or you had to upgrade your wired?
Oh I see what you're asking. When I built the theater, I had bought a no-name princess auto 4K HDR 3D approved cable, 35' long - can't remember the HDCP rating. Seems to be just fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
HDR tone mapping on these units is not great, especially on a big screen. Get a Panasonic UB420/820/9000.

That's 1:1, or 10' with an 137" screen. Rather close.
Is the Sony x800 considered good for HDR tone mapping? That's what I have now in my living room, but I could look at getting another one for my new theatre room. I can't justify doing the 9000, but could do the Panasonic 820 if it is better than Sony's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh I see what you're asking. When I built the theater, I had bought a no-name princess auto 4K HDR 3D approved cable, 35' long - can't remember the HDCP rating. Seems to be just fine.
I just order thr 4010 and i have 90 days to return it if i dont like it. I miss 2 5040ub in the last week, im coming of the 5030ub and il compare if the drop in black level of the 4010 is that bad or minor

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning towards going with a ST130 screen. I originally was looking at a Silver Ticket, but sounds like a good screen will make a tremendous difference.
I bought a 4K XYScreen. It's pretty good so far and the picture is a lot more clear than the temp Elite screen that I put up.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning towards going with a ST130 screen. I originally was looking at a Silver Ticket, but sounds like a good screen will make a tremendous difference.
holy crap. $1500 for some cloth? yikes.

That's 1:1, or 10' with an 137" screen. Rather close.
we will be about 10' back on the same size screen. What is the recommended ratio?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I bought a 4K XYScreen. It's pretty good so far and the picture is a lot more clear than the temp Elite screen that I put up.
Yeah another reason I was going to go with a less expensive screen is because my basement isn't finished, but I have a room down there that is where this is going, but my goal is to slowly finish my basement. If I move it out into the main area of my basement, a bigger screen would definitely be in order. Just some factors I have to consider.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah another reason I was going to go with a less expensive screen is because my basement isn't finished, but I have a room down there that is where this is going, but my goal is to slowly finish my basement. If I move it out into the main area of my basement, a bigger screen would definitely be in order. Just some factors I have to consider.
I bought an elunevison 4k reference coming off ans elera II and im realy happy with my choice

·
Registered
474 Posts
My refurb had a few dust blobs from day 1. I tried to run it on high power and high altitude mode, but the blobs are still here. I called Epson and they have a replacement unit coming next week. Hopefully the replacement is problem-free.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
My refurb had a few dust blobs from day 1. I tried to run it on high power and high altitude mode, but the blobs are still here. I called Epson and they have a replacement unit coming next week. Hopefully the replacement is problem-free.

I would suggest everyone check their units with a black background before warranty runs out. Epson refused to make an exception on my warranty status. Purchased the unit brand new (not refurb) in June 2017. Installed in September 2017 when construction on the theatre room was finally complete. Have logged 1861 hours and now it's garbage. $4,068 CDN after tax down the drain.

Buyer beware. I'll never own another Epson as long as I live. 😡

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would suggest everyone check their units with a black background before warranty runs out. Epson refused to make an exception on my warranty status. Purchased the unit brand new (not refurb) in June 2017. Installed in September 2017 when construction on the theatre room was finally complete. Have logged 1861 hours and now it's garbage. $4,068 CDN after tax down the drain.

Buyer beware. I'll never own another Epson as long as I live. 😡
I'm sorry to hear that. I had an Epson 6500 that developed a green band and Epson next day'ed a replacement, so I don't have any complaints with Epson. When I bought the refurb, I'm mentally prepared to have to replace the unit a few times if I have to.

What's wrong with yours?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I had an Epson 6500 that developed a green band and Epson next day'ed a replacement, so I don't have any complaints with Epson. When I bought the refurb, I'm mentally prepared to have to replace the unit a few times if I have to.

What's wrong with yours?
They said that it either the Light Engine or an LCD panel, unfortunately, Epson doesn't really know or particularly care. It's out of warranty period. They look at the date and case closed. This went through 3 CSRs, 2 Supervisors and 1 Manufacturer Rep. They're very apologetic and ensure me that this is very rare and almost never happens but bottom line won't support the product out of warranty. Lesson learned. From my perspective, a piece of electronics at this price should have better representation and backing of a manufacturer when something rare or uncommon goes wrong and renders a unit irreparable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Correction, I do have batman begins on BR. However my opinion remains, I see it a great deal on most BR disks I watch at some point or another in the movie. I don't think I really need to pop it in to confirm, I'd bet my life on the fact I will find it with ease. I saw it on all 3 Craig Bond films we just went though. I know at the beginning they intentionally added film noise, but later in the film there was many scenes with this mosquito noise.
On my 5040, I find older movies are grainy. Even when I watched Batman Begins in 4K this week, the video was very grainy. I just assumed it was the source material.

Thankfully on my unit, the brightness is consistent. I haven't noticed any issues yet.
Uther, I think I made some progress - although still can't tell how serious the problem is. Maybe the reason why no one has chimed in about the varying brightness is because no one is using ECO mode? Are you? There is no doubt the problem is getting worse, 10min into the next movie I couldn't stand it anymore so I decided to keep fiddling with any setting that might cause this effect. I changed the power mode from ECO to NORMAL, wouldn't you know - the problem went away. Still, I have my PJ setup and nice for ECO mode and don't understand why I am being forced now to use NORMAL. I wonder what the odds are that a bad bulb could cause this problem. Or perhaps something in the units H/W or F/W is not playing fair with bulb characteristics in ECO (maybe there is just not quite enough voltage and the bulb is not maintaining a hot enough temp?). Either way, want my ECO mode back. Now that I have pinpointed a fix, I'll contact Epson to try to find answers as to what is going wrong. I sure hope they don`t ask me to bring it to a service center. I'm sure they'll just turn it on quick then write "no faults found" on the work order. I have low hopes, tech support is horrible and usually they take you for a fool - or don't know much themselves.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Three of my four refurb replacements had dust blobs. Unacceptable for replacement of a new unit. I can't believe that Epson's "Light Engine" isn't in a sealed configuration.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
holy crap. $1500 for some cloth? yikes.

we will be about 10' back on the same size screen. What is the recommended ratio?
The best way to find out the right screen size is to test it live. Sharpness perception is a combination of many factors. It's a complicated issue. Check out @ bud16415's posts.

Hey all. Hoping for some advice. My 5040UB has been running great for the last couple years. It's in a dedicated theatre room so it's doesn't get daily use. Was watching a movie last week and out of nowhere the screen goes black. Epson Support was helpful and sent me a new bulb. Total hours on the bulb was just 1861 using ECO mode so it was pretty premature.

Today I received the new bulb. I installed it. Simple couple screws. Updated the firmware from 1.11 to 1.14. Turned the projector back on and I see these blobs on the screen. Figured the lens was dirty or something so I cleaned it with a lens pen from my camera kit to make sure it was spotless. Turned it back on and still blobs. Yellow/green ones.

Chatted with support and they can't explain it. Say it would have nothing to do with bulb replacement or firmware update. Suspect dust INSIDE the lens which they can't explain. The blobs appear as the bulb warms up/brightens, on a black background. Pic attached.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?
It's better not to clean the outside of the lens:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3142812-should-you-clean-projector-lens.html

Those look like dust blobs. Not sure about Epson, but Benq has a service to clean units for a small amount. DO NOT blow compressed air into the projector. Try High Altitude for a while. Clean the filter regularly. 3LCD requires airflow over the chips, unlike DLP/LCoS.
You can clean it yourself if you feel confident, there are many videos of 3LCD cleaning.

Is the Sony x800 considered good for HDR tone mapping? That's what I have now in my living room, but I could look at getting another one for my new theatre room. I can't justify doing the 9000, but could do the Panasonic 820 if it is better than Sony's.

Don't have either. Users claim the Panasonic is superior.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Three of my four refurb replacements had dust blobs. Unacceptable for replacement of a new unit. I can't believe that Epson's "Light Engine" isn't in a sealed configuration.
Wow that is scary to hear. I'm debating if I want to even try to go through multiple replacements.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Those look like dust blobs. Not sure about Epson, but Benq has a service to clean units for a small amount. DO NOT blow compressed air into the projector. Try High Altitude for a while. Clean the filter regularly. 3LCD requires airflow over the chips, unlike DLP/LCoS.
You can clean it yourself if you feel confident, there are many videos of 3LCD cleaning.
Emm... if my replacement still has dust blobs, I might try my hand at 3LCD cleaning.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That will probably void the warranty.
I found this
and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm going to try a few replacement units first. Worst case scenario, I'll live with the dust blobs until the warranty expires.

How often do you clean the projector filter?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I found this video and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm going to try a few replacement units first. Worst case scenario, I'll live with the dust blobs until the warranty expires.

How often do you clean the projector filter?
If it's in warranty, can't Epson clean it, not replace it?

Not sure how often, check the manual. Depends on the environment as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it's in warranty, can't Epson clean it, not replace it?

Not sure how often, check the manual. Depends on the environment as well.
If Epson was sending out new units, I'd totally agree. It sounds like Epson is not sending out very high-quality replacements. There are stories about refurb units being in really bad shape. For example, one member reported the IRIS does not work, there was another story that they got a unit with 1000s of hours on the lamp, ...etc.

I don't mind going through a few units, but after a while, it's a waste of my time to keep calling Epson.

My unit is in a dedicated theatre, so I'm going to try to clean it every 100 hours. It seems like heat is the #1 enemy for projectors.

19361 - 19380 of 20114 Posts