AVS Forum banner

19441 - 19460 of 20114 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm also looking into a 5040ub refurb on ebay as the motorized lens along with the long zoom ratio will fill out my 10' 2.35:1 screen nicely . I've seen them on eBay and thinking about purchasing one Saturday. Should i try and find one directly from epson or go with the purchase from eBay? After reading some of the posts here is it safe to say that epson may not do such a good job refurbishing these units???
My son just installed a 5040 refurbished from Epson and it is perfect! (So far)/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
that's awesome! My unit arrived in perfect condition and i got it mounted. Picture looks good out of the box so after calibration it should be even better. Looks like my day will be spent getting to know my new toy better! I'd anyone has some calibration settings to get the best picture and performance let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
that's awesome! My unit arrived in perfect condition and i got it mounted. Picture looks good out of the box so after calibration it should be even better. Looks like my day will be spent getting to know my new toy better! I'd anyone has some calibration settings to get the best picture and performance let me know. Thanks!

PM sent

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks. I can't reply on PM as I am still newish haha

Which of those settings would you recommend for horror movies?
Tony,

Here are the setting for UHD, BD/SD, B&W and 3D. Just start on IMAGE, go down, then onto SIGNAL. On 3D, go to 3D SETUP. NATURAL settings for UHD and BD/SD are almost the same.

When you do your Panny 420/820, if you have one, do the same. PLAYER SETTINGS; HDMI, ADVANCED SETTINGS, VIDEO, AUDIO, 3D and HD OPTIMZER on remote.

UHD NATURAL

*IMAGE*

5 5 5
PRESET 4
6 6
40 30
GAMMA 0, -3,-4,-4,-4,-4,-6,-30,0
RGB
51 51 61
ON
MEDIUM
HIGH

*SIGNAL*

AUTO
AUTO
FINE

BD/SD NATURAL

*IMAGE*

5 5 5
PRESET 3
5 5
5 5
GAMMA 0, -8, -13, -15, -17, -17, -17, -20, 0
same as UHD
MEDIUM
NORMAL

*SIGNAL*

AUTO
AUTO
FINE

BD/SD B&W (B&W CINEMA) I like my films to look black and white

*IMAGE*

0 0 0
6 5
50 for all
PRESET 1
0 0
0 0
GAMMA 1
OFF
MEDIUM
NORMAL

*SIGNAL*

AUTO
AUTO
AUTO
FINE

BD/SD 3D DYNAMIC

*IMAGE*

5 5 5
5 5
NORMAL
PRESET 3
5 5
5 5
GAMMA 1
OFF
HIGH
OFF

*SIGNAL*

3D SETUP

AUTO
THE SIZE OF YOUR SCREEN
MEDIUM
ON

AUTO
FAST (I use this because on some 3Ders, if there is real fast running, using FAST clears it up)

PANNY 420

SETUP PLAYER SETTINGS

*HDMI*

4K(60p)(4:4:4)
AUTO
AUTO
AUTO ONLY
ON

*ADVANCED*

YcbCr (AUTO)
AUTO(12 bit Priority)
HDR/bt.2020 (AUTO)
ON
OFF
BASIC LUMINANCE LCD PJ
OFF
AUTO
AUTO
ON
AUTO

*VIDEO*

AUTO
ON

*AUDIO*

OFF
---
UP TO 96 kHz
SURROUND ENCODED
NORMAL
---
O
OFF

*3D*

AUTO
ORIGINAL
OFF

REMOTE

*HD OPTIMIZER*

STANDARD
+8
+4

Good luck!

John

inspectorView Public ProfileSend a private message to inspectorFind More Posts by inspectorAdd inspector to Your Contacts

Reactions: aducrejr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tony,

Here are the setting for UHD, BD/SD, B&W and 3D. Just start on IMAGE, go down, then onto SIGNAL. On 3D, go to 3D SETUP. NATURAL settings for UHD and BD/SD are almost the same.

I got those in PM thanks. I meant I couldn't reply a "thanks" :)

But which of those are best for horror movies?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
All of them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Dude what setting were you using in those days
Hey man! Thanks for watching the video. I wish I could remember because I have since upgraded my 5040 to a 5050. However, I used to take pics of my settings all the time in case I were to lose them on the projector for some reason. Let me look through some old pics and see if I can find them for you.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got mine mounted last night and did some initial calibration on it and it looks great. No issues at all. It's a huge upgrade over my old one, although my wife says she can't really see a difference. :)

The only 4K source that I have right now is a PC playing YouTube 4K so I tried that and it was impressive. I think I might need to pick up a Firestick 4K to tide me over until I can get a PS5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my 5040ube refurb all set up last night. Everything looks to be great. I'll check the color convergence and more detailed stuff today. I'm fairly color blind so I'll need my wife's help with that one! Colors often look fine to me and not other people.

I did have some issues with the WirelessHD but I think it is the source. I'm using a current gen ShieldTV Pro. When it's just on the main menu it doesn't want to connect. I have to blindly push buttons until a video starts playing and then it will finally connect. If I change the display resolution in the ShieldTV menu to 4k 23.97fps it fixes it but then content on youtubeTV looks choppy. Everything else seems to be ok but watching choppy sports is not good. If I change it back to the default 4k 59.xx fps it works fine once it finally finds itself but getting it started is a pain. Not sure if there's a workaround for that or if startup is just going to be a pain.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I apologize and I have searched but with many years of trial and tweaking that many of you have achieved, what are the "best" go to picture settings for this? HDR content will be local media playback from shield. No disc spinner. I saw Harper vision settings were at one time a good single setting compromise for SDRand HDR content. Still the case? Anything similar or having two presets the answer now? Really appreciate the jump start!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quick update on my out of warranty 5040UB with a failed light engine. While not being covered under warranty I'm happy to say that thanks to my dealer, American Express' Buyer's Assurance Plan and Epson Canada, I have a brand new 5050UB on the way to me 👍🏻

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I got mine mounted last night and did some initial calibration on it and it looks great. No issues at all. It's a huge upgrade over my old one, although my wife says she can't really see a difference. :)

The only 4K source that I have right now is a PC playing YouTube 4K so I tried that and it was impressive. I think I might need to pick up a Firestick 4K to tide me over until I can get a PS5.
Can you see a difference between her old and new shoes? ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dude, my wife couldn't tell the difference between an AM clock radio and a 9 channel Atmos system. Sometimes it's so unrewarding to have spent a bazillion hours setting stuff up. Good thing is that she has an eye for color so she sees the overall improvements made in BR player and PJ technology.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can you see a difference between her old and new shoes? ;)
Dude, my wife couldn't tell the difference between an AM clock radio and a 9 channel Atmos system. Sometimes it's so unrewarding to have spent a bazillion hours setting stuff up. Good thing is that she has an eye for color so she sees the overall improvements made in BR player and PJ technology.
Shoes absolutely! Purses, not so much.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
I apologize and I have searched but with many years of trial and tweaking that many of you have achieved, what are the "best" go to picture settings for this? HDR content will be local media playback from shield. No disc spinner. I saw Harper vision settings were at one time a good single setting compromise for SDRand HDR content. Still the case? Anything similar or having two presets the answer now? Really appreciate the jump start!

Just disable HDR at a quality source. I have found no HDR settings on the 5040UB that look as good as sending a BT2020 signal over SDR from my 4K disks using the Panasonic UB420 disk player. The Panasonic’s well revered HDR slider isn’t even as good as just turning HDR off at the source with this projector. On my Roku 4k stick same thing. Just choose 60Hz 4K (the no HDR variant). I’ve tried all the popular HDR settings. They are either unnatural(oversaturated and wrong), or dim IMO. This projector is not a good HDR projector, but its an excellent SDR projector. — Use its strengths.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just got my 6040ub today and installed. Anybody know why it won't support HDR from the Xbox One X?
On a [email protected] disk it will. It appears that all other 4K streaming sources are [email protected] which won't do HDR on our PJ. I learned to live with it until I get a true 4K in the future
Yeah I found that out last night. I have planet earth 2 on 4k HDR disc and tried that in the Xbox, it looked really good. Sucks it doesn't work on anything else.

What about the Amazon fire stick 4K, does HDR work with that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can you see a difference between her old and new shoes? /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Shoes absolutely! Purses, not so much.
LOL, I went from a 5030ub to this 6040ub. This makes this my 4th Epson projector. Anyway, the girlfriend I have now I've had the 5030ub with. Told her I wanted to get the 6040ub since it was a very good price and she didn't understand how the 6040ub could look better than the 5030ub. Got it all don't yesterday and out of the box settings she comes down and said "oh wow, that does look better". So I unhooked my Xbox from my monitor and hooked it up to my AVR and was a little disappointed that HDR doesn't work, oh well. So anyway, she took over the projector for about 2 hours because she was playing her game. The 5030ub sucked for gaming.

19441 - 19460 of 20114 Posts