AVS Forum banner

19641 - 19660 of 19939 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey all,

So I just installed my refurb 6040UB and my Panamorph UH40 lens. I am beyond blown away with how amazing the picture looks. I printed off the pdf of settings and used the bright cinema setting. I also have the Panasonic UB420 and set the luminance for projector. The only hiccup I can see so far is that when I press the HDR setting button on my blu ray remote, it tells me that it can only be used during HDR Output. Am I doing something wrong. I just upgraded from a 1080P projector, so all of this hdr stuff is completely new to me. I have the projector set to 4K enhancement, all new fiber optic HDMI cables and it's put in the right input in the back of the projector. Any ideas? I mean, I'm not complaining about the image. Wow. But if I can make it look better....
Sounds to me like you're not playing 4k media since you are using 4k enhancement. HDR for the most part comes along with 4k content.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey all,

So I just installed my refurb 6040UB and my Panamorph UH40 lens. I am beyond blown away with how amazing the picture looks. I printed off the pdf of settings and used the bright cinema setting. I also have the Panasonic UB420 and set the luminance for projector. The only hiccup I can see so far is that when I press the HDR setting button on my blu ray remote, it tells me that it can only be used during HDR Output. Am I doing something wrong. I just upgraded from a 1080P projector, so all of this hdr stuff is completely new to me. I have the projector set to 4K enhancement, all new fiber optic HDMI cables and it's put in the right input in the back of the projector. Any ideas? I mean, I'm not complaining about the image. Wow. But if I can make it look better....

What content are you playing? You need to play a UHD HDR disc to get HDR.
Also I believe UB 420 have an option to tone map HDR to SDR. Make sure you are not using it.

I think you can also check what type of input the 420 is outputting using the 420 info menu.

And finally do you have an avr in between? Some avrs need their HDMI mode updated. And some older ones don't even support HDR.

Also make sure you are using hdmi1 on 5040.
And be aware there are bandwidth limits on 5040. So you can only get HDR with 24p and not of you provide 60p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
What content are you playing? You need to play a UHD HDR disc to get HDR.
Also I believe UB 420 have an option to tone map HDR to SDR. Make sure you are not using it.

I think you can also check what type of input the 420 is outputting using the 420 info menu.

And finally do you have an avr in between? Some avrs need their HDMI mode updated. And some older ones don't even support HDR.

Also make sure you are using hdmi1 on 5040.
And be aware there are bandwidth limits on 5040. So you can only get HDR with 24p and not of you provide 60p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was watching GOTG2 in 4K. I have the Anthem 720. Oops! I wasn't using HDMI 1! Ok, so I switched to HDMI 1 and can now use the HDR setting button on my player. I switched it so that my audio out goes to my AVR and my player plugs directly into HDMI 1 of the Epson. It's a brand new fiber optic hdmi cable. When I press playback info on the player, here's what I get:

Video: 3840x2160/24p, hdr(pq)/BT.2020 YCbCr4:2:0/10bit
HDMI Video: 4K/24P HDR(PQ)/BT.2020 YCbCr4:2:2/12bit

That's all great, but whereas I tweaked the image settings on HDMI2 and was able to get 4K enhancement, now 4K enhancement is greyed out. Grrrr! What am I doing wrong? Thanks any and all help.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
@noob00224, and @Bandyka

I had MadVR set up and a .lut file calibrated last fall by High Impact AV. I personally didn't find it significantly better than the Panasonic, and since my media is nearly 100% on retail disks, I didn't think it worth the hassle to move everything over to digital from my disks. I used J-river and MadVR for demo purposes with short clips I make or copy off demo disks. Tonight @SOWK graciously walked me through getting MadVR updated, and optimized the way he recommended -- and enabling dynamic HDR. He said MadVR had made a lit of progress since last fall and I still had the old files. We still are putting out SDR 709 to the projector, but it looks significantly better now with the newer MadVR files and HDR translation from the source media in place. I first watched that Dark Phoenix scene without any changes from my settings last fall, and then after SOWK had customized the settings I watched it again. I'm not going to say it's NX7 good, but it's definitely superior to what it was without the dynamic HDR translation occurring, and is now watchable without making me frustrated. I can actually see what's going on in the woods now and the dinner table scene seems twice as bright at least. (it was way too dark before). I think this is about as good as my 5040UB projector has ever looked, now with the updated MadVR files/settings in place.

On the HDR settings, what settings do you guys use for our 5040UB? This is what we were trying.

Does this seem close to what you use? I'm on a 144" Cinema Scope 2.35:1 screen with Seymour XD fabric. (1.0-1.1 gain depending on who you ask). I feel like these settings might be ever so slightly too bright, but 75 seemed too dim at first blush, and I'm curious where others put theirs. I also feel like the MadVR settings are giving me ever so slight a greenish tint as opposed to the Panasonic player which seems neutral in color - however SOWK told me MADVR shouldn't be doing anything to the colors. This was a very slight greenish cast to the picture almost unnoticeable but definitely there in many clips, but most apparent when I got to my Interstellar clip and Matthew M.’s tan skin had a hint of green undertone I’ve not seen before. I pulled up the tint slider on the 5040UB and had to move it from 50 default to closer to 45 to get his skin tone right. I’ve never had to move my tint slider before. Almost like the extra brightness hack the MadVR settings are doing is pulling just a hint of the nasty discoloration from the 5040UB’s dynamic color mode. It probably sounds worse than it is, but it is slightly present as I watched through those couple hours of clips I’m exceptionally familiar with from many demo sessions. Projector color mode was set to my favorite, natural and the only deviation I have from there, at my own preference IIRC, is color saturation at 52, and image enhancement at 3.

Overall, I can see a clear improvement in dark settings with 4K HDR source content, and a tick up improvement in sharpness and image quality across the board compared to what I've seen in the past. I have a Nvidia 2080 video card for reference. I re-watched these couple hours worth of my demo clips and am pleasantly surprised with the MadVR results across the board - sans this couple little minor niggles. It felt like a half step upgrade on the 5040UB projector I’ve used over the last year. A 1/2 step upgrade for free? Yes please!

What settings do you recommend I pay close attention to in the MadVR settings in order to get the best picture out of my 5040UB given your experiences? Is there a thread or post you know of already for further 5040UB optimization with MadVR?
I just tried those setting you posted but I also enabled BT.2020 in the Calibration tab so I get SDR BT2020. It looks ridiculosly good. So I only stripped HDR and set all else in MadVR to very high as well. Unreal looking picture. Give BT2020 a shot it will also upscale Rec709 to BT2020 if you leave it htat way. Ensure you are in Digital Cinema mode.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was watching GOTG2 in 4K. I have the Anthem 720. Oops! I wasn't using HDMI 1! Ok, so I switched to HDMI 1 and can now use the HDR setting button on my player. I switched it so that my audio out goes to my AVR and my player plugs directly into HDMI 1 of the Epson. It's a brand new fiber optic hdmi cable. When I press playback info on the player, here's what I get:

That's all great, but whereas I tweaked the image settings on HDMI2 and was able to get 4K enhancement, now 4K enhancement is greyed out. Grrrr! What am I doing wrong? Thanks any and all help.
Check your source if input is 4K than it goes to disabled.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Does video mean your settings on the UB 420?
Does that show High Dynamic Range ?
What settings do you use from Dynamic range on the Epson.?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Check your source if input is 4K than it goes to disabled.

There's my answer! Ok, thanks. I'm getting a 4K signal from my Panny. On to the tweaking. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I haven't looked into HDR tone mapping using MadVr for a while but now I have done the setup again and it works brilliantly with the latest version.
If anyone wants to have the options to either watch the original HDR version or switch to SDR WCG by pressing a button on the keyboard I can share the setup.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
I haven't looked into HDR tone mapping using MadVr for a while but now I have done the setup again and it works brilliantly with the latest version.
If anyone wants to have the options to either watch the original HDR version or switch to SDR WCG by pressing a button on the keyboard I can share the setup.

I’m interested

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi everyone! I just upgraded from a BenQ W1070 to the 5040UB and I know nothing about 4k!

1. What do I need to know about this projector? I will be feeding it 4K content from Xfinity and Amazon Prime Video

2. Are there optimal settings for this projector? For picture settings, should I use my Disney WOW Blu-Ray to calibrate and will it translate to what the Xfinity DVR sends out, or should I just use the projectorreviews settings in the screenshots here: https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/#new-home-cinema-5040ub-pro-cinema-6040ub-calibration-settings

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone. I just bought a 6040 as I have finally had time to get into HT with the extra time I find myself with during lockdowns.

Quick question - every once in a while I get a black screen saying HDMI not supported when I go to play 4k HDR content on Netflix on my FireTV 4k. Sometimes I have to go back home and then open Netflix again and it will work. Is this just an issue due to the bandwidth of the HDMI port? Sometimes it works just great, other times it requires another attempt.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Hi Everyone. I just bought a 6040 as I have finally had time to get into HT with the extra time I find myself with during lockdowns.

Quick question - every once in a while I get a black screen saying HDMI not supported when I go to play 4k HDR content on Netflix on my FireTV 4k. Sometimes I have to go back home and then open Netflix again and it will work. Is this just an issue due to the bandwidth of the HDMI port? Sometimes it works just great, other times it requires another attempt.
Perhaps it may require a different high speed premium HDMI cable depending on distance. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
287 Posts
My projector will not turn on. No problems with it up until now and was fine yesterday. Is this the dread power supply problem? Mine is the Pro Cinema 4040 but little point posting in that forum as it is dormant.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hello, new owner of the 5040UBe. I have messed around quite a bit, and I have the image looking spectacular imho, but my contrast is set to 0. This is based on the levels from this set: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Again, it's an amazing picture, I'm not complaining, I'm just surprised contrast is 0. Brightness is 63. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
The screen shots here show contrast between 57-62 depending on if you're on Natural, Bright Cinema, or Digital Cinema.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/#new-home-cinema-5040ub-pro-cinema-6040ub-calibration-settings

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got a refurb and am about ready to mount to the ceiling. I have an old Chief Universal mount, about 15 years old. When I took it down, it is a jumble of screw and brackets. Spending all this money, might as well get a new ceiling mount. I did a search of the thread and saw Peerless as one recommendation.

Is there a consensus as to which ceiling mount is relatively simple and works well with this projector??? Thanks in advance for any help.

19641 - 19660 of 19939 Posts