AVS Forum banner

19661 - 19680 of 19971 Posts

·
Registered
11,781 Posts
Got a refurb and am about ready to mount to the ceiling. I have an old Chief Universal mount, about 15 years old. When I took it down, it is a jumble of screw and brackets. Spending all this money, might as well get a new ceiling mount. I did a search of the thread and saw Peerless as one recommendation.

Is there a consensus as to which ceiling mount is relatively simple and works well with this projector??? Thanks in advance for any help.

Chief still makes the best mounts. period.

Search this thread for Chief to find various model numbers you can use. There are multiple, because the 5010, 6010, 5020, 6020, 5030, 6030, 5040, 6040, 5050, and 6050 Chief mounts are all interchangeable (slight differences for some mounting plates, but as far as I understand all compatible), and there are also additional model numbers for the 60x0 series 'bundles'. Usually you can find a compatible chief mount on ebay used for $30-$75range - though they will be ~$200 new.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Went on Ebay. Lots of different used mounts. Found an Ebay seller called projector mounts direct. Looked pretty reasonable and easy to use. Anybody use them??

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi everyone! I just upgraded from a BenQ W1070 to the 5040UB and I know nothing about 4k!

1. What do I need to know about this projector? I will be feeding it 4K content from Xfinity and Amazon Prime Video

2. Are there optimal settings for this projector? For picture settings, should I use my Disney WOW Blu-Ray to calibrate and will it translate to what the Xfinity DVR sends out, or should I just use the projectorreviews settings in the screenshots here: https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/#new-home-cinema-5040ub-pro-cinema-6040ub-calibration-settings

Thanks in advance!
PM sent

Reactions: Grayson73

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Chief still makes the best mounts. period.
+1 for a myriad of reasons...rigidity, construction quality, simplicity, absolute precise adjustment, ease of removal and reinstallation w/o loss of registration, etc, etc...worth every penny....and quoting Mississippi Man...”ain’t none mo betta.”

End of story!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Can't seem to have my cake and eat it, too! So I've been messing around with a number of different calibrations of my 6040 over the last few days (provided by the pdf of others' calibrations on this site). Regardless of what I choose, the colours pop way more than my old DLP projector. This is awesome. However, I'm now trying to find a balance with the contrast. It seems that if I get great blacks on a particular calibration, the level of detail in my blacks suffers. That is, a black suit will appear as one uniformly black suit with very little to no detail. On a different setting, the black level overall is elevated, so it's more greyish, but the level of shadow detail is vastly increased. Anyone care to divulge a setting for UHD discs that gets the best of both worlds - good blacks with good shadow detail?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can't seem to have my cake and eat it, too! So I've been messing around with a number of different calibrations of my 6040 over the last few days (provided by the pdf of others' calibrations on this site). Regardless of what I choose, the colours pop way more than my old DLP projector. This is awesome. However, I'm now trying to find a balance with the contrast. It seems that if I get great blacks on a particular calibration, the level of detail in my blacks suffers. That is, a black suit will appear as one uniformly black suit with very little to no detail. On a different setting, the black level overall is elevated, so it's more greyish, but the level of shadow detail is vastly increased. Anyone care to divulge a setting for UHD discs that gets the best of both worlds - good blacks with good shadow detail?
I had the same problem when I dismounted my old Panasonic PTAX100 and installed the 5040. I doubt you're only seeing it in UHD disks, although it's probably more noticeable because if you are watching them in HDR the picture will already be much darker than SDR. I noticed a scene with a black leather couch with buttons pulling in on the leather. In my Panasonic, I could see the pull lines in the leather clearly and the sofa was black, but in the Epson I could barely see any of that detail - just solid black. I found the gamma of the 2 were very different, whereas the Panasonic was better in the dark areas and the Epson better in the bright. Not that one had a better dynamic range than the other - but rather they each were shifted in the opposite direction. All I did was a setup disk which really didn't help matters immensely, and I don't have $500 to toss around for a pro to come set it up. So I fiddled with the gamma setting, making a custom curve. I just moved the second slider from the left a bit to raise the brightness in those dark scenes ever so slightly - maybe a notch or two? (cannot remember). I found adjusting the first one on the far left just made the picture look more grey and didn't help bring details in the shadows anyways. Never did get the details in dark scenes to match that of my Panasonic, but overall the picture is definitely better so I have to be appreciative of that.

Reactions: blastermaster

·
Registered
11,781 Posts

Buy a Panasonic 420UB player for $200 and disable HDR entirely or use the Panasonic’s HDR brightness slider — whatever your individual preference. Or use MadVR.

Read back through the last few pages. Nearly the entire conversation has been about this same thing. This projector is simply too dim with HDR out of the box. You need to strip it or modify the HDR to have a proper picture. The Panasonic is the easy button to do either.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I'm noticing that my 5040ub revs up the fan and blows so much I can hear it, only for a second, every time I switch to different apps or basically do anything that changes the screen on my Shield TV 2019. It's really weird. I kept hearing it and finally figured out it was the Epson. I also hear a click often, usually when stopping videos.

could this have something to do with the auto-iris?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Buy a Panasonic 420UB player for $200 and disable HDR entirely or use the Panasonic’s HDR brightness slider — whatever your individual preference. Or use MadVR.

Read back through the last few pages. Nearly the entire conversation has been about this same thing. This projector is simply too dim with HDR out of the box. You need to strip it or modify the HDR to have a proper picture. The Panasonic is the easy button to do either.
Yeah, I sold off my Oppo and got the Panny UB420. I used the "natural" custom setting and the custom settings for the Panny that is kicking around the forums. Don't get me wrong, it looks good and vastly better than my DLP. I'll personally take shadow detail over deep blacks, though.

I'll go back and do some reading again, but you're saying set the Epson to SDR, then colour to...rec.709, then let the Panny do its magic? This 4k/HDR/WCG is great and all, but man it introduces a lot of crap in the mix to sort out. It was so much easier when it was just 1080P lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Posted this over on the Oppo section also but figured I'd see what Epson owners think also.

Hey everyone, quick question...hopefully. I just picked up an Epson refurb 5040 to replace my 5030. I've been running that with the 103 and Darblet and the picture has been pretty darn good. I've been itching to get a 4K projector though and like the lens memory functions and at this price point I figure I'd try it. Is there any need to keep the 103 or Darblet? Will I regret selling? We live in a rural area with no good internet access at this time so don't do much streaming except the kids on their phones so mostly standard blu ray discs and have been slowly picking up 4K discs as they've been going on sale. Thanks!

I'm thinking it may be better to sell the 103 and Darblet and get a decent 4K player but wondered what everyone thought, is there any reason to keep the Oppo? I recently picked up an LG UBK90, is this a decent player?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
That sucks. I tried a different HDMI cable on both ports and tried different resolutions from the XG1V4 DVR and am getting "not supported". Does this mean I need to downgrade to a non-4k box from xfinity?
I'm not sure, but there are boxes that can help with HDCP and straighten it out to pass along to the projector, like the HD Fury Linker.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Forgot to mention one thing. The welcome / bienvenidos screen does show through the projector when I first plug in the DVR, and then it goes to "not supported".

No amount of plugging, unplugging, turning on/off would work, but setting it to 1080P using a TV worked. After that, I was able to set it to 2160P. However, when I turned off the projector and turned it back on, it stopped working. Frustrating, to say the least.

If anyone knows how to fix this, let me know! Do I need to buy a device such as the HD Fury Linker?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Got a refurb and am about ready to mount to the ceiling. I have an old Chief Universal mount, about 15 years old. When I took it down, it is a jumble of screw and brackets. Spending all this money, might as well get a new ceiling mount. I did a search of the thread and saw Peerless as one recommendation.

Is there a consensus as to which ceiling mount is relatively simple and works well with this projector??? Thanks in advance for any help.

I replaced my cheapo mount with this one and I really love the gear adjustability of it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1466975-REG/gabor_upmp_1000_professional_universal_projector_mount.html

19661 - 19680 of 19971 Posts