AVS Forum banner

19681 - 19700 of 19943 Posts

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Posted this over on the Oppo section also but figured I'd see what Epson owners think also.

Hey everyone, quick question...hopefully. I just picked up an Epson refurb 5040 to replace my 5030. I've been running that with the 103 and Darblet and the picture has been pretty darn good. I've been itching to get a 4K projector though and like the lens memory functions and at this price point I figure I'd try it. Is there any need to keep the 103 or Darblet? Will I regret selling? We live in a rural area with no good internet access at this time so don't do much streaming except the kids on their phones so mostly standard blu ray discs and have been slowly picking up 4K discs as they've been going on sale. Thanks!

I'm thinking it may be better to sell the 103 and Darblet and get a decent 4K player but wondered what everyone thought, is there any reason to keep the Oppo? I recently picked up an LG UBK90, is this a decent player?
I liked my Darbee on the Panasonic AE8000U I had before, but I don't use it on the Epson 5040UB. It doesn't need it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I liked my Darbee on the Panasonic AE8000U I had before, but I don't use it on the Epson 5040UB. It doesn't need it.
Definitely improved the picture on my 5030! The more I read about 4K the more confused I get. So is the Panasonic UB420 the recommended 4K player for the Epson to help with the HDR issues? I downloaded your pdf file, thank you! Are there newer settings specific for using the UB420?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Definitely improved the picture on my 5030! The more I read about 4K the more confused I get. So is the Panasonic UB420 the recommended 4K player for the Epson to help with the HDR issues? I downloaded your pdf file, thank you! Are there newer settings specific for using the UB420?
PM sent

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Posted this over on the Oppo section also but figured I'd see what Epson owners think also.

Hey everyone, quick question...hopefully. I just picked up an Epson refurb 5040 to replace my 5030. I've been running that with the 103 and Darblet and the picture has been pretty darn good. I've been itching to get a 4K projector though and like the lens memory functions and at this price point I figure I'd try it. Is there any need to keep the 103 or Darblet? Will I regret selling? We live in a rural area with no good internet access at this time so don't do much streaming except the kids on their phones so mostly standard blu ray discs and have been slowly picking up 4K discs as they've been going on sale. Thanks!

I'm thinking it may be better to sell the 103 and Darblet and get a decent 4K player but wondered what everyone thought, is there any reason to keep the Oppo? I recently picked up an LG UBK90, is this a decent player?
I have a Oppo 103d and love it. I also have a Oppo 203 that I bought when they did the reserve email purchase. Now saying that I never use the 203. I bought it to pair with my Epson 5040 for 4K playback. But because the 5040 is not native 4K and it’s limitations I stopped trying to work with satisfaction. So I still watch all Blu-ray’s in my 103d with the darbee enabled. I also have the 4K in the Epson off and image enhancement to 4. This to me provides a very sharp picture to me without all the fiddling around. I find having the 4K shift on makes the image a little less sharp on my spandex screen.

Seeing my theater is almost complete I will be going back to fiddling around with all formats on both players and give it more time.

Below is with 4K shift on.

Below is with if off, native 1080p Blu-ray with darbee.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Oppo 103d and love it. I also have a Oppo 203 that I bought when they did the reserve email purchase. Now saying that I never use the 203. I bought it to pair with my Epson 5040 for 4K playback. But because the 5040 is not native 4K and it’s limitations I stopped trying to work with satisfaction. So I still watch all Blu-ray’s in my 103d with the darbee enabled. I also have the 4K in the Epson off and image enhancement to 4. This to me provides a very sharp picture to me without all the fiddling around. I find having the 4K shift on makes the image a little less sharp on my spandex screen.

Seeing my theater is almost complete I will be going back to fiddling around with all formats on both players and give it more time.

That does look good! I guess I'll try the 103 on it and see how it looks!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Epson Canada finally had these back in stock, pulled the trigger lastnight. Down the rabbit hole I go :)
Currently back in stock on the US site too.

I'd pick one up, but there is a house expense lingering around the corner that I think is about to slap me in the face (leaky pool).

Maybe by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, the 5050UB will be the one on sale...

·
Registered
27 Posts

I'd pick one up, but there is a house expense lingering around the corner that I think is about to slap me in the face (leaky pool).

Maybe by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, the 5050UB will be the one on sale...
I just moved into a new place, downstairs has this perfect little room screaming to be setup as a media room. Always wanted a projector, we'll see how this goes :) Goodluck with the pool!

·
Registered
219 Posts

Wow! So you're outputting what resolution from your player, HD1080p?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Is anyone else using an xfinity X1 DVR? I'm having issues with the 5040UB saying the HDMI signal is "not supported". When I run it through my Panasonic SA-XR57 DVR, it works, but max output is 720p/1080i due to the HDMI 1.2a.

Do you think getting an HDMI 1.4a splitter such as this would fix the issue? Maybe HDMI 2.0 is the issue? Is it true that 1.4a cannot do HDR?
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Ultra-Powered-Splitter-Model/dp/B00J4D3RTU/

·
Registered
203 Posts

How do you play 4k? I assume you are feeding HDR since the 4k appears dark compared to the SDR.

Can you try turning on 4k enhancement with HD? I can clearly see this improves the image in my 5040.

If your 4k is in HDR you can also try tone mapping to SDR. This gives the Blu Ray like image ... but also adds bt2020 colors. I also see better images with my Apple TV set to 4k but with HDR disabled. This is what I am use for streaming. ATV upscales everything to 4k and in my experience this is better than letting the projector do the upscaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Wow! So you're outputting what resolution from your player, HD1080p?
Yes, 1080p from my Oppo 103d with darbee at 35% and Epson image enhancement on 4, 4K off. I also set in the Oppo to output 60hz vs 24p. The Epson is also set to frame interpolation low. This to me gives a very smooth natural non jumpy image in both Blu-ray and 3D movies. Having the Oppo set at 60hz also does not cause the Epson to black out while switching formats. This is a smooth transition from Oppo main menu, to Blu-ray previews, Blu-ray menus, and the feature film. :)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
How do you play 4k? I assume you are feeding HDR since the 4k appears dark compared to the SDR.

Can you try turning on 4k enhancement with HD? I can clearly see this improves the image in my 5040.

If your 4k is in HDR you can also try tone mapping to SDR. This gives the Blu Ray like image ... but also adds bt2020 colors. I also see better images with my Apple TV set to 4k but with HDR disabled. This is what I am use for streaming. ATV upscales everything to 4k and in my experience this is better than letting the projector do the upscaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not playing 4K at all. I was referring to 4K enhancement to off and on from a 1080P source. I gave up on 4K ultra discs and my Oppo 203 with the Epson for the time being. To me I get a better picture with my Oppo 103d outputting 1080p with darbee at 35% and the Epson 4K enhancement off and image preset mode to 4.

As for the photos above the the first image was taken months before the second photo. The only thing that I changed is turning the 4K enhancement off that made it softer. The photo is dimmer but not in real life just showing the sharpness difference with 1080p with no 4K enhancement with darbee.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
All these settings are years old.
Various firmware upgrades and use of the Panasonic Optimiser have created more and better options.
Why don't you try Adam's up to date ones in the Display Calibration webpage.
Are these the ones you're referring to? Are these the best settings to start with these days? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3075472-projector-calibration-6040ub-second-look.html

So far, I've set up Art's - https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/#new-home-cinema-5040ub-pro-cinema-6040ub-calibration-settings
And also the ones Inspector sent me in a PM.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Omigosh. $1497CDN? That's a steal! I need to find more friends interested in HT and tell them about it lol.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Games look really, really good on the Epson! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, 1080p from my Oppo 103d with darbee at 35% and Epson image enhancement on 4, 4K off. I also set in the Oppo to output 60hz vs 24p. The Epson is also set to frame interpolation low. This to me gives a very smooth natural non jumpy image in both Blu-ray and 3D movies. Having the Oppo set at 60hz also does not cause the Epson to black out while switching formats. This is a smooth transition from Oppo main menu, to Blu-ray previews, Blu-ray menus, and the feature film. :)
Well, not sure what darbee is but clearly my ub820 doesn't have it. Too bad, looks amazing.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
19681 - 19700 of 19943 Posts