AVS Forum banner

19701 - 19720 of 19971 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes-they are Adam's settings and a good place to start especially for SDR.
Also Proj reviews but they date from an early review sample.

For HDR I prefer Dig Cinema with the Optimiser set to +3.
I have tweaked black level and col/tint using the Spears and Munsil disc.
Although still playing, happy with the results so far.
Ad Astra looks fantastic.
Suggest you play with the settings. There are plenty of memories.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
11,781 Posts
I have a Oppo 103d and love it. I also have a Oppo 203 that I bought when they did the reserve email purchase. Now saying that I never use the 203. I bought it to pair with my Epson 5040 for 4K playback. But because the 5040 is not native 4K and it’s limitations I stopped trying to work with satisfaction. So I still watch all Blu-ray’s in my 103d with the darbee enabled. I also have the 4K in the Epson off and image enhancement to 4. This to me provides a very sharp picture to me without all the fiddling around. I find having the 4K shift on makes the image a little less sharp on my spandex screen.

Seeing my theater is almost complete I will be going back to fiddling around with all formats on both players and give it more time.

Below is with 4K shift on.

Below is with if off, native 1080p Blu-ray with darbee.

As an owner of a Darbee unit, I think something is afoul in this comparison. I'll pull mine back out of the box for a comparison again. I just put mine away when I bought the 5040UB, because it doesn't pass 4K, and my picture looked better on the 5040UB going from the Panasonic AE8000U w/ Darbee, to the 5040UB without. I don't think I even tried it on the 5040UB. I too liked mine at 35% on the HD setting when I used it with the Panasonic AE8000U.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Awesome. I considered scope, but since my limit is my height, and projector can't be more than 13' back, I went with 16x9 so I can take advantage of the entire area available. Yours looks great.
If you're height-limited, as I am, wouldn't a scope screen be the ideal? Maybe you meant width-limited? I only have a 7.5' ceiling, so going as tall as I can, then having that extra width for a scope screen was perfect.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
If you're height-limited, as I am, wouldn't a scope screen be the ideal? Maybe you meant width-limited? I only have a 7.5' ceiling, so going as tall as I can, then having that extra width for a scope screen was perfect.
it would be, if I could zoom in further to scope, but I can't. I'm actually more depth limited I guess. My biggest zoom in on my 5040 doesn't fill the height of the wall. If I did scope my 16x9 movies/tv would all be much much smaller since 5040 of course isn't anamorphic (nor do I have an anamorphic lens).

It would be great if the way that projectors worked was they have a constant height and then just added more onto the sides for 2.35. But since it zooms instead and it can't get 6'6" tall at 13 feet back, it won't work for me. Maybe someday there will be an LCD projector that can and I'll upgrade to that. As it is, scope would make my 16x9 way too small and my 2.35 still wouldn't be tall enough. Might as well enjoy 16x9 IMAX style.

I have a 6'10" ceiling. You must have your projector way further back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know if there's an upgrade to firmware 1.14 for the Epson 4000? Couldn't find anything about it and these forums are a little difficult to navigate when looking for info on the 4000, and not a 5040.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
As an owner of a Darbee unit, I think something is afoul in this comparison. I'll pull mine back out of the box for a comparison again. I just put mine away when I bought the 5040UB, because it doesn't pass 4K, and my picture looked better on the 5040UB going from the Panasonic AE8000U w/ Darbee, to the 5040UB without. I don't think I even tried it on the 5040UB. I too liked mine at 35% on the HD setting when I used it with the Panasonic AE8000U.
My original response was to someone asking about upgrading their PJ and if it was worth it to get rid of their 103 and darbee. Just showing what it did for me in my room. It’s worth a shot before selling it.

When I get my screen all finished (currently finishing my electric masking) I will do another comparison.

To me after going back and forth with a 1080p source I find leaving the 4K pixel shift to off on the Epson but using image enhancement preset 4 with darbee on. My comparison above is not just with darbee, it’s multiple items. This is also with a spandex screen in the mix. When I first got my Epson I used the 4K pixel shift with darbee on a electric elite screens and it looked great. But since switching to spandex it gives the picture a softer look. But with everyone’s setup being different YMMV.:)

Someone else talks about the softness and my response over a year ago.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2976270-epson-5050-6050-rumors-13.html#post57692220

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
it would be, if I could zoom in further to scope, but I can't. I'm actually more depth limited I guess. My biggest zoom in on my 5040 doesn't fill the height of the wall. If I did scope my 16x9 movies/tv would all be much much smaller since 5040 of course isn't anamorphic (nor do I have an anamorphic lens).

It would be great if the way that projectors worked was they have a constant height and then just added more onto the sides for 2.35. But since it zooms instead and it can't get 6'6" tall at 13 feet back, it won't work for me. Maybe someday there will be an LCD projector that can and I'll upgrade to that. As it is, scope would make my 16x9 way too small and my 2.35 still wouldn't be tall enough. Might as well enjoy 16x9 IMAX style.

I have a 6'10" ceiling. You must have your projector way further back.
Ah, I see. Bummer. I've got my projector just over 14 feet away, but I'm using an anamorphic lens (and I have the 6040 obviously). If I was going to be in that house long term, I'd definitely look into getting a projector with anamorphic stretch and an anamorphic lens. I built a 138" scope screen for around $350 Canadian which is basically free if you're in the US lol. Lots of good deals on lenses these days because people think they aren't compatible with 4K, which isn't true. It "may" soften the image slightly on 4K content (depending on the lens), but the brightness you get to keep because you're not zooming so much makes it worth it for HDR content. My 0.02.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone know if there's an upgrade to firmware 1.14 for the Epson 4000? Couldn't find anything about it and these forums are a little difficult to navigate when looking for info on the 4000, and not a 5040.
Still 1.14 on the Epson firmware page.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Ah, I see. Bummer. I've got my projector just over 14 feet away, but I'm using an anamorphic lens (and I have the 6040 obviously). If I was going to be in that house long term, I'd definitely look into getting a projector with anamorphic stretch and an anamorphic lens. I built a 138" scope screen for around $350 Canadian which is basically free if you're in the US lol. Lots of good deals on lenses these days because people think they aren't compatible with 4K, which isn't true. It "may" soften the image slightly on 4K content (depending on the lens), but the brightness you get to keep because you're not zooming so much makes it worth it for HDR content. My 0.02.
while true for you, I'm still limited by throw distance. I can't get any wider, it's wide as the projector will throw. So even if it was anamorphic, it would be the same size width and height. I split my basement in half and the area behind me is utility, so I can't go back any further. It works out, we just sit about 10' back from 135"(ish). Still need to build the screen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone else getting thin lines around top and sometimes sides of screen from the PJ? About 1/2" in from the top/sides (125" screen) I get a thin line. It's extremely obscure, more like a slight colour hue off rather than solid coloured line. Majority of the time you don't even notice unless you look closely but sometimes it's quite obvious depending on the image. It's a perfectly straight line with defined sharp edges, almost looks like the chip is producing it - can't imagine anything else. Bothering me a lot knowing it's there, makes me think it's a defective unit. Been like that straight from the box, previously I thought it was intermittent but now I realized it's just hard to see most of the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have only a few hours on my projector and I was wondering if I have to use the projector in a certain setting for the first 200 hours?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Epson Canada finally had these back in stock, pulled the trigger lastnight. Down the rabbit hole I go :)
Be careful down there, don't drink and buy. Enjoy.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yes, 1080p from my Oppo 103d with darbee at 35% and Epson image enhancement on 4, 4K off. I also set in the Oppo to output 60hz vs 24p. The Epson is also set to frame interpolation low. This to me gives a very smooth natural non jumpy image in both Blu-ray and 3D movies. Having the Oppo set at 60hz also does not cause the Epson to black out while switching formats. This is a smooth transition from Oppo main menu, to Blu-ray previews, Blu-ray menus, and the feature film. :)
Gotta try 60hz then...thanks for the tip!

Reactions: bluer101
19701 - 19720 of 19971 Posts