AVS Forum banner

19741 - 19760 of 19948 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have some fantastic settings for Digital Cinema mode that using the Panny UB820 doing HDR-SDR conversion. With they dynamic slider pushed up you get the brightness you need and the color filter looks phenominal.
I have the Shield too and unfortunately not finding I can replicate without the Panny doing it's thing. Keeping with Harpervision at the moment and looks great. To my eyes much better than Rec 709 1080p.
I'll have to see if the UB420 has the slider, but I used the Harpervision settings and set my Panny to HDR, Epson to SDR and man to my eyes it is far better than any other settings I've tried from this thread thus far. I've A/B'ed all of them and this has the best blend of really good blacks while maintaining decent shadow detail (there's still room for improvement, but I think that's looking like a JVC) and amazing colour. I threw in Aquaman and was blown away. I'm still tinkering and I doubt it will work, but I'm going to try and hook up my Darbee and see what happens.

Reactions: Brettmckinney

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll have to see if the UB420 has the slider, but I used the Harpervision settings and set my Panny to HDR, Epson to SDR and man to my eyes it is far better than any other settings I've tried from this thread thus far. I've A/B'ed all of them and this has the best blend of really good blacks while maintaining decent shadow detail (there's still room for improvement, but I think that's looking like a JVC) and amazing colour. I threw in Aquaman and was blown away. I'm still tinkering and I doubt it will work, but I'm going to try and hook up my Darbee and see what happens.
It looks damn good hey! If you wanna try the Digital Cinema settings, on the UB420, you will need to set HDR/SDR conversion on, then when you load a disc press the Option button instead of HDR and then you can used the Dynamic Range setting. I found going up to 6 or 8 gave it a lift it needs to get similar brightness.

It isn't 'quite' as vibrant and punchy vs the HV settings but with the filter engaged, the BT2020 colours looks better and more filmic.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It looks damn good hey! If you wanna try the Digital Cinema settings, on the UB420, you will need to set HDR/SDR conversion on, then when you load a disc press the Option button instead of HDR and then you can used the Dynamic Range setting. I found going up to 6 or 8 gave it a lift it needs to get similar brightness.

It isn't 'quite' as vibrant and punchy vs the HV settings but with the filter engaged, the BT2020 colours looks better and more filmic.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Are you talking about the default Digital Cinema settings or someone else's custom settings? And you set the Epson to rec.709 again?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Are you talking about the default Digital Cinema settings or someone else's custom settings? And you set the Epson to rec.709 again?
You can definitely start with the default and tweak from there but I think I did have a custom gamma curve for this. I may have posted my settings before for it so I'll check and send them to you!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
question - my ceiling is about 7' and at 13.1' back my 5040ube can only zoom in to be about 6'6 tall on my wall, at 16x9. Is there any possible way to get that 6'6" tall size but stretch out wider to CIH scope? talking about maybe anamorphic lens or something. Also I know 5040ube doesn't do anamorphic but if I ever upgraded to 6040 or something.

Or am I not understanding how anamorphic works with projectors?

TLDR - I'm zoom limited at 13'1".

·
Registered
99 Posts
FINALLY got my refurb 5040 up. Thing is a monster!

Need help with settings. I have searched the forum, and it is difficult to narrow things down. If someone could PLEASE just give me the cliff notes on what would make me happy (just looking for a good image, not perfection, and easy for a newbie), I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Room is in basement, very well controlled light. 115" AT screen, gain of .9, 2.35:1. Probably 75% streaming TV shows on Netflix, Hulu, etc., 17% streaming movies, and 8% sports. Using a Panasonic UB420 to feed a Pioneer LSX-V303 receiver in 5.1.4. I am willing to tweak a little here or there, but unless there is a relatively inexpensive/simple way to get a good calibration, not willing to do more than that.

Do I just go through the presets and pick the one that looks best to my eyes?? Did simple Avia calibration for my previous PJ's but get the feeling that won't cut it here.

I know I may seem like a newb looking to freeload on what others do, but I am really just a casual fan who wants a good, generalized setting that will please me and my wife, whether it is a straight up preset or a customized setting. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
FINALLY got my refurb 5040 up. Thing is a monster!

Need help with settings. I have searched the forum, and it is difficult to narrow things down. If someone could PLEASE just give me the cliff notes on what would make me happy (just looking for a good image, not perfection, and easy for a newbie), I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Room is in basement, very well controlled light. 115" AT screen, gain of .9, 2.35:1. Probably 75% streaming TV shows on Netflix, Hulu, etc., 17% streaming movies, and 8% sports. Using a Panasonic UB420 to feed a Pioneer LSX-V303 receiver in 5.1.4. I am willing to tweak a little here or there, but unless there is a relatively inexpensive/simple way to get a good calibration, not willing to do more than that.

Do I just go through the presets and pick the one that looks best to my eyes?? Did simple Avia calibration for my previous PJ's but get the feeling that won't cut it here.

I know I may seem like a newb looking to freeload on what others do, but I am really just a casual fan who wants a good, generalized setting that will please me and my wife, whether it is a straight up preset or a customized setting. Thanks in advance.
I just got mine last week and was told to start with these settings:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3075472-projector-calibration-6040ub-second-look.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm really loving my refurb 5040, which I've had since October 2019.

After running in ECO power/Natural mode/20 iris 709/sdr which yielded a very cinematic 17 nits, lamp flicker appeared in March. I decided to join the New World and explore Digital Cinema/medium power/0 iris yielding 20 nits. 709/sdr looks very nice with only a basic grayscale cal run. I haven't done RGBCMY yet. Colors are definitely rich and vivid!

For 2020/sdr it's fed from a Panasonic 820 using the optimizer feature. I am curious about RGBCMY xyY targets. When setting RGBCMY Y (brightness) do we use the 709/sdr ratios ( simply x% of 100% white) or is there a different mathematical formula and/or multiplier with 2020 in sdr?

·
Registered
21 Posts

After running in ECO power/Natural mode/20 iris 709/sdr which yielded a very cinematic 17 nits, lamp flicker appeared in March. I decided to join the New World and explore Digital Cinema/medium power/0 iris yielding 20 nits. 709/sdr looks very nice with only a basic grayscale cal run. I haven't done RGBCMY yet. Colors are definitely rich and vivid!

For 2020/sdr it's fed from a Panasonic 820 using the optimizer feature. I am curious about RGBCMY xyY targets. When setting RGBCMY Y (brightness) do we use the 709/sdr ratios ( simply x% of 100% white) or is there a different mathematical formula and/or multiplier with 2020 in sdr?
Oops, nits should be foot-lamberts!!! My bad.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

Use the lamp in High mode for a while in it's highest setting. And every now and then:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2261738-managing-projector-bulb-flicker-3.html#post57363110

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have found the ideal settings for both 4K movies and HD movies and NONE of them have the lamp at the highest setting. I tried it at a high setting as I'd read that you need to do that for the first 100 hours to prevent lamp flicker but honestly it's way too loud to even enjoy a movie. If you get unlucky enough to get lamp flicker, is it such that you'd need to replace the bulb or would the flicker go away with a bit of time spent at the high output setting? Every time I fire up a movie I'm just blown away by the image this thing projects - I'm so thoroughly impressed by it!

Reactions: Bandyka

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have found the ideal settings for both 4K movies and HD movies and NONE of them have the lamp at the highest setting. I tried it at a high setting as I'd read that you need to do that for the first 100 hours to prevent lamp flicker but honestly it's way too loud to even enjoy a movie. If you get unlucky enough to get lamp flicker, is it such that you'd need to replace the bulb or would the flicker go away with a bit of time spent at the high output setting? Every time I fire up a movie I'm just blown away by the image this thing projects - I'm so thoroughly impressed by it!
If the lamp does not run at full power it will degrade as described in the linked post. Now if it's fixable it depends on a few things, how long has the lamp been used, quality of the lamp. The lamp might not flicker at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the lamp does not run at full power it will degrade as described in the linked post. Now if it's fixable it depends on a few things, how long has the lamp been used, quality of the lamp. The lamp might not flicker at all.
I find medium to be a happy medium (?! just made a pun!) I've had no flicker issue since the change, brightness is perfectly adequate with longer expected lamp life and lower fan noise. My room is light-controlled with lots of black drapes and black velvet. Considering how much effort I put into ECO/Natural/iris 20 and how little (so far) into MED/Dig Cin/iris 0 I'm pleased. Further, for some reason using full iris introduced severe uniformity issues, especially the corners taking on obvious red and blue shades. I spent a lot of time in the screen uniformity menu tweaking every zone/color/level to get it reasonably consistent. On the other hand, with the iris now at 0 I've had to zero-default all uniformity controls, and the screen is now remarkably uniform. I suspect the iris at max was introducing some diffraction/reflection artifacts or other optical issue.

As far as the CMS RGBCMY, anybody have numbers for setting BT 2020 xyY "Y" (brightness) values for SDR? Is it still the same x% of 100% white as 709 SDR?

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I spent a while trying to dial 709 into Digital Cinema and couldn't make it work. Sort of makes sense because those filters are trying to send color into infinity! No way to pull 709 saturations back to targets at 75 or 100% saturation. No biggie, went back to Natural/medium for a bottom-up redo and it came out great. Even at 20 iris was hitting about 60 nits so engaged Super White to pull it down to about 50. Normally I don't use "features" but in this case I'll call it a "tool." This time no issue with using iris at an aggressive level regarding uniformity, so I don't know where I went wrong before. Used uniformity as a "graphic EQ" to smooth the greyscale dE.

Those neon colors beckoned, but upon measurement saturation was way out of the park. 709 lives in Natural.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have found the ideal settings for both 4K movies and HD movies and NONE of them have the lamp at the highest setting. ...it!
Are they shareable? I would be excited to try them for comparison with what I have so far. How many sets are using on a daily basis, like HDR, SDR ...

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Well, I spent a while trying to dial 709 into Digital Cinema and couldn't make it work. Sort of makes sense because those filters are trying to send color into infinity! No way to pull 709 saturations back to targets at 75 or 100% saturation. No biggie, went back to Natural/medium for a bottom-up redo and it came out great. Even at 20 iris was hitting about 60 nits so engaged Super White to pull it down to about 50. Normally I don't use "features" but in this case I'll call it a "tool." This time no issue with using iris at an aggressive level regarding uniformity, so I don't know where I went wrong before. Used uniformity as a "graphic EQ" to smooth the greyscale dE.

Those neon colors beckoned, but upon measurement saturation was way out of the park. 709 lives in Natural.
709 has to be in natural that is the most accurate mode for SDR content. Why would you want 709 in Digital Cinema in the first place? It was designed to use the filter and produce the BT2020 space, you can do SDR BT2020 though which results in a very nice and bright looking image.

19741 - 19760 of 19948 Posts