AVS Forum banner

19761 - 19780 of 19948 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I have found the ideal settings for both 4K movies and HD movies and NONE of them have the lamp at the highest setting. I tried it at a high setting as I'd read that you need to do that for the first 100 hours to prevent lamp flicker but honestly it's way too loud to even enjoy a movie. If you get unlucky enough to get lamp flicker, is it such that you'd need to replace the bulb or would the flicker go away with a bit of time spent at the high output setting? Every time I fire up a movie I'm just blown away by the image this thing projects - I'm so thoroughly impressed by it!
Absolutely, no need for high lamp at all. If you had Madvr you could get the same brightness as with Natural mode in low lamp for UHD movies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
709 has to be in natural that is the most accurate mode for SDR content. Why would you want 709 in Digital Cinema in the first place? It was designed to use the filter and produce the BT2020 space, you can do SDR BT2020 though which results in a very nice and bright looking image.
I was hoping to be able to avoid using the iris because initially I believed it was causing uniformity issues. The filters knocked down the brightness to where I needed but obviously, as you know, they are way too strong to allow 709 to be reined back to proper coordinates. I just learned it the hard way! Anyway, 709/NAT/iris 20 looks extremely nice, very Natural indeed, no glaring uniformity problems like I thought I saw before, greyscale and gamma are awesome using uniformity as a "graphic EQ." Yesterday was just sort of a rough pass, done as time allowed. I typically re-visit a few times before declaring total victory!

I'm intrigued by the whole BT 2020 thing and am all set to do some runs but am still unsure about SDR setting for the brightness parameter in CMS RGBCMY. Do they follow the SDR norm?

Regarding the uniformity menu parameters: There are lots of them. 9 zones, 8 levels, 3 colors if I recall. That's 216 data points. It's a *very* powerful tool when you consider possible uses. Uniformity settings appear to be global across all modes, so any reset to default erases everything everywhere! Learned that the hard way too!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I was hoping to be able to avoid using the iris because initially I believed it was causing uniformity issues. The filters knocked down the brightness to where I needed but obviously, as you know, they are way too strong to allow 709 to be reined back to proper coordinates. I just learned it the hard way! Anyway, 709/NAT/iris 20 looks extremely nice, very Natural indeed, no glaring uniformity problems like I thought I saw before, greyscale and gamma are awesome using uniformity as a "graphic EQ." Yesterday was just sort of a rough pass, done as time allowed. I typically re-visit a few times before declaring total victory!

I'm intrigued by the whole BT 2020 thing and am all set to do some runs but am still unsure about SDR setting for the brightness parameter in CMS RGBCMY. Do they follow the SDR norm?

Regarding the uniformity menu parameters: There are lots of them. 9 zones, 8 levels, 3 colors if I recall. That's 216 data points. It's a *very* powerful tool when you consider possible uses. Uniformity settings appear to be global across all modes, so any reset to default erases everything everywhere! Learned that the hard way too!
Good one, I have settled on exactly the same settings as you on natural long ago including gamma and iris -20. No point trying to meet 709 using the filter, the whole point is to reach a much wider color spectrum in digital cinema mode that is what the filter is for but it introduces a lot of light loss naturally. The key is to have it calibrated in natural with graphical gamma 2.4, iris -20, for standard SDR. Saying that I am overdue to post settings for madvr one press SDR WCG which is gold for this PJ. Any movie that appears dark in normal HDR viewing is resolved by pressing one button on the keyboard. I used to use this on my JVC as well. You retain the full BT2020/DCI-P3 spectrum but gain a whole lot of much needed brightness. This has nothing to do with settings on the PJ itself. Anyone attempts to mess with settings on the projector to improve HDR and boost brightness will result in inaccurate results no matter how appealing some may look at first, later you'll realize either the top end or bottom will have drastic issues , that's why there hasn't been one pinned proven set of settings because there just isn't one. It could only be possible with dynamic mapping such as JVC' or madVR.
Also not matter where you have the iris set as long as you calibrate grey scale to that point.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am sure those are great, but I am looking for something much simpler. That printed out 16 pages with a number of different settings that frankly, I didn't understand and don't see how to adjust. Sorry.

What I am looking for is basically something along the lines of:

natural, adjust these colors to this level, hue and saturation to this, auto iris on, interpolation to medium, things like that. Very simple. And that would give me a good, general all-around picture. Or maybe someone says go with the Cinema settings and leave it alone. I could do that too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I am sure those are great, but I am looking for something much simpler. That printed out 16 pages with a number of different settings that frankly, I didn't understand and don't see how to adjust. Sorry.

natural, adjust these colors to this level, hue and saturation to this, auto iris on, interpolation to medium, things like that. Very simple. And that would give me a good, general all-around picture. Or maybe someone says go with the Cinema settings and leave it alone. I could do that too.

Thanks in advance.

Sound & Vision had a decent set of settings in their review of the 5040. Search this thread or google it. I used them as my baseline before I tweaked to my likes.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I don't know if you paid close attention, actually there are few sets of settings for different content, like HDR, SDR, 3D ... to dial in for example any of them might take you just under 5 min and when you done you can easily store in the memory to recall it later if you want to for comparison or editing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if you paid close attention, actually there are few sets of settings for different content, like HDR, SDR, 3D ... to dial in for example any of them might take you just under 5 min and when you done you can easily store in the memory to recall it later if you want to for comparison or editing.
Probably not as close as I should have. Was pretty intimidated right off the bat. Won't do 3D, so that cuts it down. So HDR vs SDR, not sure how that works. If I am running it through the Panasonic ub420, will it automatically send it through at the native content or will it change the SDR to HDR? Sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Probably not as close as I should have. Was pretty intimidated right off the bat. Won't do 3D, so that cuts it down. So HDR vs SDR, not sure how that works. If I am running it through the Panasonic ub420, will it automatically send it through at the native content or will it change the SDR to HDR? Sorry for my ignorance.
You're definitely have the right equipment. Your Panasonic will do HDR, see this post for awesome setup, fairly straightforward procedure. Unfortunately I don't have ub420 for exact settings on it, but even without it I am getting amazing picture on 4K HDR content from my shield tv pro.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're definitely have the right equipment. Your Panasonic will do HDR, see this post for awesome setup, fairly straightforward procedure. Unfortunately I don't have ub420 for exact settings on it, but even without it I am getting amazing picture on 4K HDR content from my shield tv pro.
That was pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Regarding 709 vs BT 2020, do you guys set the color space to "Auto" and let the source decide? Do you have specific presets for 709 vs. 2020?

I've only been using two presets. One for SDR and one for HDR.

·
Registered
558 Posts
What's your 4k HDR settings for the shield?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
So I decided to try and hook up my tried and true Darbee into the mix. I had my Panny UB420 set to 1080P so that it would play nice with the Darbee as well as making sure that 4K enhancement would be on for the Epson. The pics are from 2 Fast 2 Furious (don't judge me, it's my guilty pleasure). The first pic is with the Darbee off, and the second is with the Darbee on. Note the detail in the blazer. It's not the greatest example, but it's what I was watching tonight and I was excited about it so I thought I'd share. I find the detail/contrast is definitely improved and I'm super impressed that it works with 4K Blu Ray. Open in multiple tabs to A/B them and see what you think.

Reactions: bluer101

·
Registered
771 Posts
Is it me, I'm a total noob to 4k and HDR, or does the top pic have more shadow detail and less glare on the face. I think I'd prefer the first pic.

So I decided to try and hook up my tried and true Darbee into the mix. I had my Panny UB420 set to 1080P so that it would play nice with the Darbee as well as making sure that 4K enhancement would be on for the Epson. The pics are from 2 Fast 2 Furious (don't judge me, it's my guilty pleasure). The first pic is with the Darbee off, and the second is with the Darbee on. Note the detail in the blazer. It's not the greatest example, but it's what I was watching tonight and I was excited about it so I thought I'd share. I find the detail/contrast is definitely improved and I'm super impressed that it works with 4K Blu Ray. Open in multiple tabs to A/B them and see what you think.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

I also bet the pictures don’t do it justice either. That’s why I said I’m completely happy not playing 4K discs for the time being. I’m going to do a new comparison to post here also. Another reason for me is I gave an older receiver (Denon 4520ci) not capable of Atmos either. So I’m perfectly fine without that too for now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is it me, I'm a total noob to 4k and HDR, or does the top pic have more shadow detail and less glare on the face. I think I'd prefer the first pic.
Same here, I think I prefer it without any enhancements. Probably the reason I disabled AI upscaling in shield tv also.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I also bet the pictures don’t do it justice either. That’s why I said I’m completely happy not playing 4K discs for the time being. I’m going to do a new comparison to post here also. Another reason for me is I gave an older receiver (Denon 4520ci) not capable of Atmos either. So I’m perfectly fine without that too for now.
Yeah, but that's the thing. These ARE 4K discs - the Darbee is just making it better. Also, Atmos is really, really awesome. You don't know what you're missing until you try it. :)

Reactions: bluer101
19761 - 19780 of 19948 Posts