AVS Forum banner

4841 - 4860 of 6234 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Guys, I run my 5030 with a CIH 2.35:1 set up (zoom method) and I love it...EXCEPT WITH THOSE PESKY ASPECT RATIO SHIFTING MOVIES!!! =p (Nolan and 3d Guardian of the Galaxy...I'm looking at you) Anyone here have any suggestions for making these watchable? Masking? Links to fixed aspect ratio versions (I own all of them)?

Assume there isn't a lot to be done, but figured it didn't hut to ask. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Just last night I started to experience a flicker with my 5030UB. After checking all of the connections, I tested the projector with no input and the flicker was still there. The PJ is in "Eco" power consumption. I changed it to "Normal" power consumption and no flicker, however, this is not an option due to the decreased lifespan of the lamp and the noise from the fan.

Contacted Epson support and they verified that it is most likely the ballast power supply fluctuating (very similar to CCFL ballasts that go out and cause the lights to flicker) and they recommended replacement. I should be receiving another PJ with a brand new bulb in about five business days. I'm fairly happy with the return policies as I opted to have a "hold" of $2K put on my credit card until the faulty PJ is returned. Not too shabby.

Epson has excellent customer service and support!

If anyone else is having "flickering" of their PJ, I highly suggest replacement as the power supply will only get worse until failure.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Just last night I started to experience a flicker with my 5030UB. After checking all of the connections, I tested the projector with no input and the flicker was still there. The PJ is in "Eco" power consumption. I changed it to "Normal" power consumption and no flicker, however, this is not an option due to the decreased lifespan of the lamp and the noise from the fan.

Contacted Epson support and they verified that it is most likely the ballast power supply fluctuating (very similar to CCFL ballasts that go out and cause the lights to flicker) and they recommended replacement. I should be receiving another PJ with a brand new bulb in about five business days. I'm fairly happy with the return policies as I opted to have a "hold" of $2K put on my credit card until the faulty PJ is returned. Not too shabby.

If anyone else is having "flickering" of their PJ, I highly suggest replacement as the power supply will only get worse until failure.

Sorry to hear you're having this problem but pleased with Epson's CS response. Just hope the replacement (refurb) is good. I've seen this "flicker" problem mentioned before both with the 50xx and 30xx series and many times the suggested fix was to run it on normal for a couple hours and then revert back to eco. In other words the way I understood it, it was supposed to be a lamp problem. Who knows?:confused: I've only got about 250 hours on my 5030 & so far so good. I run on eco exclusively as well.
Good luck & S/F!

Ed

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hey Guys, I run my 5030 with a CIH 2.35:1 set up (zoom method) and I love it...EXCEPT WITH THOSE PESKY ASPECT RATIO SHIFTING MOVIES!!! =p (Nolan and 3d Guardian of the Galaxy...I'm looking at you) Anyone here have any suggestions for making these watchable? Masking? Links to fixed aspect ratio versions (I own all of them)?

Assume there isn't a lot to be done, but figured it didn't hut to ask. Thanks guys!

I hate those changing aspects too! I guess Interstellar is like that as well.:rolleyes:

Ed

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having this problem but pleased with Epson's CS response. Just hope the replacement (refurb) is good. I've seen this "flicker" problem mentioned before both with the 50xx and 30xx series and many times the suggested fix was to run it on normal for a couple hours and then revert back to eco. In other words the way I understood it, it was supposed to be a lamp problem. Who knows?:confused: I've only got about 250 hours on my 5030 & so far so good. I run on eco exclusively as well.
Good luck & S/F!Ed
Thanks man. I have about 875 hours on the lamp. The fact that it does it only in ECO is probably a lower voltage fluctuation in the P/S. It came back right after I switched back from normal.

If the refurb isn't up to par, they'll send another, and another, and another until they get it right. :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks man. I have about 875 hours on the lamp. The fact that it does it only in ECO is probably a lower voltage fluctuation in the P/S. It came back right after I switched back from normal.

If the refurb isn't up to par, they'll send another, and another, and another until they get it right. :D

Yep, that's why I purchased an Epson.;) Let us know how you make out.

Ed

·
Registered
180 Posts

Yes, they do have good CS, Climber, but if you're getting a refurb i.e. a "-R", just make absolutely sure the pixel alignment and functionality are good as soon as you fire it up. Sadly, I had to return several projectors to Epson with image problems before finally settling on a good one.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Yes, they do have good CS, Climber, but if you're getting a refurb i.e. a "-R", just make absolutely sure the pixel alignment and functionality are good as soon as you fire it up. Sadly, I had to return several projectors to Epson with image problems before finally settling on a good one.
Will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Get an anamorphic lens, like I did. No more changing aspect ratios for me. I couldn't be happier.:)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
But you did finally get a good one, right? They looked after you until you were completely satisfied, right? The whole process didn't cost you a dime, right?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Get an anamorphic lens, like I did. No more changing aspect ratios for me. I couldn't be happier.:)
I think you missed his point. Movies like Guardian's of the Galaxy in 3D, The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises have changing aspect ratios WITHIN the film. One minute it's 2.35:1, the next it's 16 x 9. An anamorphic lens won't help.

The only way to even remotely deal with it is to watch the entire film in 2.35:1, and let the image spill above and below your screen when the aspect ratio changes, assuming you have light absorbing material surrounding your screen. Of course, you'll be chopping off portions of the image when the aspect ratio changes, and you'd have no control over how the chopped image is framed. Otherwise, you'll just have to watch it in 16x9 overall.

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
675 Posts
Can someone explain why director's shoot movies with different aspect ratios from scene to scene? It drives me nuts too. I can think of no justification for it.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Can someone explain why director's shoot movies with different aspect ratios from scene to scene? It drives me nuts too. I can think of no justification for it.
I don't mind too aweful much when they start at 2.35:1 then "OCCASIONALLY" switch to 16:9 for a scene or so. It is kind of annoying though.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,854
Mostly it's a gimmick IMO. Sometimes they justify it by saying they shoot the 'full frame' scenes with IMAX cameras and they are too bulky and too difficult to handle for the major part of the movie, especially if it is an action movie. It really screws up CIH guys though and I wish there was either an option in the menus to stick with Scope format throughout, or they just showed the entire movie on Bluray in Scope. The alternative would be to show the entire movie in 'flat' and switch to Scope as required, but that would give black bars through most of the movie, and would still screw most CIH guys anyway.

Personally I find it incredibly irritating and distracting. It really takes me out of the movie when it changes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
"Gimmick". Yep, that is the word I was trying to think of. There is simply no good reason for it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Of course, you'll be chopping off portions of the image when the aspect ratio changes...
That's exactly what I meant. Better to watch those IMAX scenes chopped off (by the anamorphic lens) than spilled over (with the zoom method).
Guardians of the Galaxy and Transformers 4 are unwatchable in 3D on a 2.35:1 screen when zoomed in. Same goes for Interstellar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need some advice from any of you Epson 5030 users that also use a 2.35:1 screen. I am very close to ordering the 5030 and I will be using a 138" 2.35:1 screen from Siver Ticket. Almost all of our viewing will be Blu ray movies with few exceptions. Projector throw will about 17-18 feet, with it mounted from ceiling in dedicated theater room with total light control.

Will this projector allow me full viewing on my screen without any black bars, assuming I am viewing 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 formatted movies, and without any distortion? What if I went with a curved scree? Any problems there?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I need some advice from any of you Epson 5030 users that also use a 2.35:1 screen. I am very close to ordering the 5030 and I will be using a 138" 2.35:1 screen from Siver Ticket. Almost all of our viewing will be Blu ray movies with few exceptions. Projector throw will about 17-18 feet, with it mounted from ceiling in dedicated theater room with total light control.

Will this projector allow me full viewing on my screen eithout any black bars, assuming I am viewing 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 formatted movies, without any distortion? What if I went with a curved scree? Any problems there?
I think you should consider the 6030 with its anamorphic lens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
But you did finally get a good one, right? They looked after you until you were completely satisfied, right? The whole process didn't cost you a dime, right?
Yes, they did. Just be on your guard, though, if you're in the same situation as Climber07. I'm sure the -Rs are returned for many different reasons. Some are probably just un-boxed tradeshow/display units. But I reckon a lot are returned by custom installers who see the shortcomings quickly and send them back.

What Epson sacrifices in good customer service has to be offset somewhere, and I think it's the quality control that they take a punt on. This is totally my own subjective opinion and not an informed one.

Luckily, you've got support from all the knowledgeable guys here on this forum if you have more problems. And, yes, don't stop returning units until you're happy - no cost to you.

4841 - 4860 of 6234 Posts